Dream Paint Schemes

GabrielV

I used to paint gaming miniatures and model kits, and those hobbies taught me I have no skill whatsoever at painting. So for toys, I find myself at the whim of whatever repaints companies decide to offer. Yet, none are my dream paint scheme.

In a way, my ideal variable fighter paint scheme has already been done, and it has already been done on the fighters I would choose to have it for. The catch is that one color was wrong, and there was text in the paint scheme which I wouldn't want. The schemes in question are the Macross 25th Anniversary VF-1 and YF-19 toys with their predominant black coloration and skinny golden lines. The problem color is the gold. If the gold were red instead, then those would be just about perfect.

I'm a bit amazed that particular color mix doesn't pop up as a variant a lot. To me it's a very striking look, evoking the SR-71. Maybe it's just me.

As far as I'm aware, the only variable fighter toy done up in those colors is a limited release by Toynami of a 1/100 VF-1 with the heavy armor pack. But there is no way in hell I'm paying $170 for one of those things. Maybe if it was $20, but even then I'd have to think about it because of all the quality issues I've seen regarding their 1/100 toys.

Anyone else have any seemingly obvious dream color variants that simply don't exist for one reason or another?

The VF-1S Blue Roses is one of my favorites.

Yeah...you and Kanedas Bike just basically named all my dream paint schemes, except I would have to add the 004 and 006 VF-1J Blue Roses on top of the 002 VF-1S. The Blue Roses 1Js have the coolest hexagonal digital camo scheme.

v3svc8.jpg

Image from j-modellers.net (VF-1Riders 2002)

I had these all planned in 1/48, but stalled on getting them out to Kurt before he retired from commission work :(

Edited by Old Man

Many valks and many schemes..where to begin...

I guess with something that could fit in either in space or earth...

post-15116-0-79001500-1456147118_thumb.jpg

Am not sure if i could even qualify one as a favourite, esp when you check out all the schemes in the masterfile books as well.

But you got me thinking abt it...

Yeah, I've salivated over the low vis variants for years. That Phantom Sword scheme looks sexxy as hell too.

I never got far enough in Macross 30 to get a YF-30. I think I stalled out around the VF-11 with the boosters and got frustrated that I couldn't find the quest items I was after due to the language barrier. However, if I had got the YF-30, I probably would have flown around at least sometime with that Skywarp job.

I also really like Blue Roses and the VF-21/22 that seti88 posted. I guess I just like the reserved types of vfs.

Yeah, I've salivated over the low vis variants for years. That Phantom Sword scheme looks sexxy as hell too.

I never got far enough in Macross 30 to get a YF-30. I think I stalled out around the VF-11 with the boosters and got frustrated that I couldn't find the quest items I was after due to the language barrier. However, if I had got the YF-30, I probably would have flown around at least sometime with that Skywarp job.

I also really like Blue Roses and the VF-21/22 that seti88 posted. I guess I just like the reserved types of vfs.

That's the VF-22S SVF-124 Moon Shooters. Beautiful scheme as well. :D

The last two pics make me remember something. Bear with me here, because I'm about to delve a little into personal stuff.

When I was a wee tyke, my father flew in F-111s. He also had a model of an F-111 on his desk. It was painted in a camo pattern, like this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/793/pics/3_22.jpg

I was fascinated by that model. It was a tangible talisman sympathetically connected to my father, who I hardly ever saw. The wings swung back and forth, and I remember entertaining myself for what seemed like hours just swinging the wings on that model back and forth. The motion was so smooth.

About 20 years ago, my father was freaking out about something or other. See, my family is full of vultures, and he was worried that I was going to sue his daughters out of their inheritance or something. I reassured him that I was going to do no such thing. I told him that the only two things I really wanted as an inheritance were his greek themed marble chess set and his F-111 model from his time in the service.

Within two months of me telling him that, he gave the chess set to a relative of his wife and sold the F-111 model to a collector.

I'm never going to have that model. And I have to say that it pisses me off.

But as an anticlimax to that story, I realize I'd kind of like a VF done up in that paint scheme.

The last two pics make me remember something. Bear with me here, because I'm about to delve a little into personal stuff.

When I was a wee tyke, my father flew in F-111s. He also had a model of an F-111 on his desk. It was painted in a camo pattern, like this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/793/pics/3_22.jpg

I was fascinated by that model. It was a tangible talisman sympathetically connected to my father, who I hardly ever saw. The wings swung back and forth, and I remember entertaining myself for what seemed like hours just swinging the wings on that model back and forth. The motion was so smooth.

About 20 years ago, my father was freaking out about something or other. See, my family is full of vultures, and he was worried that I was going to sue his daughters out of their inheritance or something. I reassured him that I was going to do no such thing. I told him that the only two things I really wanted as an inheritance were his greek themed marble chess set and his F-111 model from his time in the service.

Within two months of me telling him that, he gave the chess set to a relative of his wife and sold the F-111 model to a collector.

I'm never going to have that model. And I have to say that it pisses me off.

But as an anticlimax to that story, I realize I'd kind of like a VF done up in that paint scheme.

That's pretty rough.

As a somewhat consolation there was a 1/48 scale VF-1A that is "close" to that scheme;

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00044/Sci

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00048/Sci

Long out of print now, but they pop up for sale from time to time hear on the boards and on sites like Mandarake and Jungle Hobby.

Good luck!

-b.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago, before I had kids, I somehow pulled off this custom:

med_gallery_3595_72_646682.jpg

Sorry, GabrielV: it's the correct color scheme, but just on the wrong bird.

I forgot who did it, but someone on this board took the 25th Anniversary YF-19 and painted the gold script text over in black. The end results weren't too shabby.

Edited by Mog