Macross 1992 Live Action Movie Treatment

Tochiro

...sooo... we missed out on, nothing? Seriously, this (mis)treatment removes everything Macross about the story and added everything one would expect from a formulaic generic Hollywood sci-fi script. I'm usually open minded about changes and new things, but this is just too gods-damned far. For once, hooray for failure!!!

Edited by warrhead

Interesting. I've been trying to track down details about this movie ever since I came across an article where Kawamori came to LA to do some research and finally see his beloved XB-70 in person. It also mentioned he visited some people who were working to make a live action Macross movie as part of the trip.

A quick search dug up the IMDB listing for it back then when I tried to find out more about it.

And then that was it and the whole thing quietly disappeared into the ether from there on.

That was back in 93-94.

He could have seen a YF-23 for Macross Plus around LA, but the only remaining XB-70 has been in Ohio for decades. Maybe he went both places.

Possibily. I never knew that the XB-70 was only located in Ohio, I only knew that he went to see it in person in the article and had always assumed that the plane was located somewhere in California as well. There was a picture of him with the plane in that article.

Can't remember if that was when he went did the the air combat simulator as well though. He could have done that later.

...sooo... we missed out on, nothing? Seriously, this (mis)treatment removes everything Macross about the story and added everything one would expect from a formulaic generic Hollywood sci-fi script. I'm usually open minded about changes and new things, but this is just too gods-damned far. For once, hooray for failure!!!

We got Frontier out of it.

Some of these ideas were already in the works by the time the first treatment that we covered was written. Macross 7 already had the implementation of a fully self contained, self sustaining colony ship, along with the compartment like sections (relatively speaking). The rest is very distinctly brought out in Frontier, as well as what seems to be direct scenes taken from this. I guess Kawamori very well knows to never let a good idea go to waste. While I did see this treatment trimmed down A LOT, I don't think it detracts from the Macross feel. The only thing that was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, was how the characters themselves had changed and not just going from the suggested names.

Some of these ideas were already in the works by the time the first treatment that we covered was written. Macross 7 already had the implementation of a fully self contained, self sustaining colony ship, along with the compartment like sections (relatively speaking). The rest is very distinctly brought out in Frontier, as well as what seems to be direct scenes taken from this. I guess Kawamori very well knows to never let a good idea go to waste. While I did see this treatment trimmed down A LOT, I don't think it detracts from the Macross feel. The only thing that was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, was how the characters themselves had changed and not just going from the suggested names.

Considering M7 and M+ were in development around the same time, I am not surprised. There would be idea crossovers between projects considering the creative energy to put together such projects.

Though I have to agree that in order for SK to get any traction in LA he largely gutted core of DYRL. It also seems like he was actively avoiding the SDFM timeline, prolly under pressure from whatever studio who was looking at the treatment.

Edited by Zinjo

Thanks for the info! Will check out the podcast soon.

Quick question for everyone: if you could only pick one, which Macross series would you like an [almost] exact live action version of?

I've only seen SDFM, DYRL, PLUS and some of ZERO. And MII doesn't count, right? :) Tell me, and I missing out on any of the others? (like, should I watch the others?)

As far as your question: I'd say the events of SDFM would be too hard to fit into a movie (and there's no guarantee for a franchise, especially if Part 1 doesn't make it at the box office), so I'd say DYRL.

Thanks for the info! Will check out the podcast soon.

Quick question for everyone: if you could only pick one, which Macross series would you like an [almost] exact live action version of?

I'd pick Zero, it is a pretty good origin premise that introduces the idea of transforming fighter combat well.

If successful, it would make the SDFM story a lot leaner as there would be no need to go into too much detail about the arrival of the SDF-1.

Edited by Zinjo

Thanks for posting this; I always appreciate finding out new history of Macross but reading this treatment I gotta question whether Shoji Kawamori even likes Macross. I get adapting characters and situations from anime to live action is necessary because of the different mediums but these changes were borderline criminal. The Ace (Hikaru or Richie Pirrelli) & Ellen (Misa) were just the worst aspects of their Macross proper personalities leaving Maria (Minmay) as moral compass of the story? The Zentraedi forces probably suffered the worst of the changes; from reading this I couldn't see a clear motivation for their attacking the Macross.The Macross having Earth type enviroments (Like an Amazon Rain Forest) and the fact that the pilots were mainly trained in VR never flying real missions was interesting to me..I just don't see them making this treatment into a live action movie; they should've went with something closer to DYRL.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

It is very revealing and really does explain where M7's theme came from. Albeit M7 is a bit of a heavy handed example of SK's philosophy at the time.

Though the treatment itself isn't as compelling as I hoped it would be. Several times I got the sense of Deus Ex Machina in some scenes.

He certainly had a much more optimistic view of Earth's space programs, that we would search outside our solar system for habitable worlds as opposed to colonizing our own system or even the ocean to deal with over population.

SDFM provided a compelling catalyst to develop spacecraft and the Valkyrie, this treatment expected the audience to take that for granted (on a surface level of course).

I would love to see a draft of the script to see how this was translated by a Western writer.

Edited by Zinjo

Interesting to read this and to see what Kawamori-san felt was the most important elements to retain. I always felt though, from a childhood wish fulfillment perspective, that the story should incorporate some combat scenes on Earth. To me, it would be more entertaining to see things happening in the world we live in (or a near future that resembles it). Although with his ARK style Macross with different biomes I suppose it could be almost comparable.

Interesting to read this and to see what Kawamori-san felt was the most important elements to retain. I always felt though, from a childhood wish fulfillment perspective, that the story should incorporate some combat scenes on Earth. To me, it would be more entertaining to see things happening in the world we live in (or a near future that resembles it). Although with his ARK style Macross with different biomes I suppose it could be almost comparable.

That would be Macross Zero...

SDFM was presented as a war story with a twist ending. I disagree with SK regarding the DYRL ending. Hikaru had to take out Bodolza otherwise he would have annihilated not only the humans, but also the Zentradi who stood with them. He was the quintessential embodiment of the Zentradi directive to wipe out enemies, not really evil, just a "believer" in the cause. The old idea that, you cannot reason with someone willing to give up his life for a cause.

This treatment would not have been received well by the audience required to recover the costs of production in the West. Avatar had a grand battle and it was very well received overseas.

Edited by Zinjo

Possibly a dumb question, but what is meant by "treatment" in all this discussion? I've never encountered that when used to describe a movie that wasn't made, but it's been discussed and mentioned so many times, I can't help but think I'm the only one not familiar with the term.

Is it sort of like a draft of ideas for a movie, prior to it actually becoming a working script?

EDIT:

Proof that sometimes it's better to search before looking a bit stupid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_treatment

And yes, I'm not afraid to look stupid, for the purpose of helping to educate others in my situation. ;)

Edited by mickyg

Possibly a dumb question, but what is meant by "treatment" in all this discussion? I've never encountered that when used to describe a movie that wasn't made, but it's been discussed and mentioned so many times, I can't help but think I'm the only one not familiar with the term.

Is it sort of like a draft of ideas for a movie, prior to it actually becoming a working script?

EDIT:

And yes, I'm not afraid to look stupid, for the purpose of helping to educate others in my situation. ;)

Then you have been successful... :p

I would love to see a draft of the script to see how this was translated by a Western writer.

While a draft does exist, as I mentioned on the latest podcast, according to Kawamori it completely ignored everything in the treatment and instead was straight up DYRL Americano.

EDIT:

That's OK. I only know about the term because I remember from years back there was an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer goes to LA to work in the movie business and tries to shop a treatment that he wrote around to different producers and actors, including Fred Savage. (It later ends up becoming evidence in a murder case and he is arrested) :p

Edited by Renato

Personally, I've always had zero interest in a live-action Macross movie, regardless of whether it is from Japan or Hollywood.

A live-action Hollywood movie would likely be too Americanized and loose much of what makes "Macross".

Anyway, we already had the live action Macross Plus adaptation "Stealth", and look how well that turned out :p

Live-action Japanese sci-fi movies have never impressed me either with acting or special effects and would probably end up looking like a Super-Sentai show (which I hate).

Graham

Personally, I've always had zero interest in a live-action Macross movie, regardless of whether it is from Japan or Hollywood.

A live-action Hollywood movie would likely be too Americanized and loose much of what makes "Macross".

Anyway, we already had the live action Macross Plus adaptation "Stealth", and look how well that turned out :p

Live-action Japanese sci-fi movies have never impressed me either with acting or special effects and would probably end up looking like a Super-Sentai show (which I hate).

Graham

You make a strong argument there G. So far I can't think of any Anime adaptation by Hollywood that was anything more than a hack job by low end producers. Though I had high hopes for the Cowboy Bebop project that has been stuck in limbo for about 5 years now. Hollywood has more respect for comic book movies than anime ones. Prolly because there hasn't been a "hit" anime movie made yet, like Ironman did for super hero movies.

Edited by Zinjo

Still 2 copies of those documents

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-II-2-Production-Scripts-Notes-Anime-RARITY-Kevin-Seymour-/262298629626

Was fantastic to finally hear that potential movie story line. Incredible how so much was used in 7 and Frontier, and maybe even Delta.

Would love to see someone create a comic or something with this story. When reading it I could play it all out in my mind.

Many, many thanks to the SpeakerPODcast for covering this story, my drive to work these last couple days has been very entertaining!!

The Japanese live action version of space brothers wasn't bad, though with minimal effects. Live action attack on titan blew chunks.

Live action zero/sdf would need better than force awakens effects, definitely should be better than bioman or robot jox

The Japanese live action version of space brothers wasn't bad, though with minimal effects.

It was pretty forgettable, in my opinion. In fact, the only thing I remember from it is that cop-out ending, because they didn't have time to wrap it up. Anyway, it shows just how difficult it is to adapt something based on a long-running serial, be it manga or anime, into a 2-hour movie. That is why you would have to take MAJOR liberties with a story to make it work within the confines of the new format.

I'd pick Zero, it is a pretty good origin premise that introduces the idea of transforming fighter combat well.

If successful, it would make the SDFM story a lot leaner as there would be no need to go into too much detail about the arrival of the SDF-1.

I totally agree. I was thinking about it after listening to the podcast yesterday (great way to pass the time on a 2.5 hour flight!). It would be really difficult to tell the SDFM story in two hours to a U.S. audience that may not be familiar with the original TV series. It would basically have to end up like DYRL with a lot of narration in the beginning to explain the back story. Really interesting to hear about this treatment though as another small part of the history of this series.

An early treatment of the Macross LAM has been uncovered.

Full details in the latest episode of SpeakerPODcast.

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-36-macross-live-action-movie-treatment/

We will be releasing more information over time, so this topic is for any discussion of questions that may arise :-)

Oh wow this is going to be a real treat! Cannot wait!