Hasegawa Gerwalk VF-1D and SDF attack mode

Major Tom

• 1 month later...

Damn, that's pretty crisp and nice looking! And we finally get pilots that are more than vague blobs!

Edited by NZEOD

Same! I have 3 trainers I have on the bench right now that I'm all set to slice to match the my 1J Gerwalks to my 2 seater Navy unit... stuff that! Saving them and getting this one!

Edited by NZEOD

SDFM hands?

SDFM hands= more curvy/rounded

DYRL hands= more blocky

Put another way, SDFM = marshmallow puff, DYRL = "conventional" mecha.

I don't think Hasegawa ever released a VF-1 with SDFM-style hands.

Edited by kajnrig

I definitely prefer the DYRL hands, and I choose to think of them as "correct," whereas the SDFM hands make me think of an artist's "soft" interpretation of mecha hands. The SDFM hands also seem to grow in a lot of the artwork, to where they wouldn't fit back inside the forearms. A lot of early Macross models seem to replicate that appearance, such as the Imai GBP armored battroid kit. This is one case where I'm ok with fudging things a little to get the better look of the DYRL hands.

The original hands are what I think of when I think of 80s anime. Really cartoony, just defined enough so that you know what's there. It saves on animation time/budget (and we all know how little time/budget they had to work with). Once they had an actual budget, it makes sense that they would work on fleshing out the fine details.

I remember they were reproduced on... I think the Yamato toys? Something like that. Anyway, someone packaged some version of the VF-1 with both styles of hands, and they both worked/looked equally well. I dunno. It's a tossup for me, honestly.

I'm all about options when it comes to modeling, so I certainly wouldn't object to having SDFM hands available for these models. I like the idea depicted in the Master File books that some of these TV vs. movie differences represent variations over the course of VF-1 production, such as the cockpits and different flight suit styles. I like the idea of the VT-1 being a later replacement for the VF-1D also (how about a VT-1 Gerwalk and Battroid, by the way?). I could buy that the TV hands were an earlier version.

I don't think the hands in the older Bandai transformable kits were terrible. I could see using the open one on this model to hold Minmay. Maybe that's an option for making this model more "SDFM-accurate?"

Are there 3rd party SDFM hands that could be swapped into the 1d perhaps?

Or maybe someone could create some..

Large, medium, small:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-003/Sci

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-002/

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-001/

They're about as close as I've seen. I think it was vegeta8259 who used these on one of his (either resin or scratch) builds. They were a bit too curvy for the build, but I think they'd fit the SDFM VF-1 look alright.

Cool there are such hands! But my goodness dat price is asking for an arm for four hands haha...

Thanks for the tip! look like those would indeed fit well into the 1d

Also half expecting some one to scratch build those mini hand extentions like in the sdfm hand picture above.....

This is getting more awesome by the minute!

Edited by seti88

Large, medium, small:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-003/Sci

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-002/

http://www.hlj.com/product/BRKPH-001/

They're about as close as I've seen. I think it was vegeta8259 who used these on one of his (either resin or scratch) builds. They were a bit too curvy for the build, but I think they'd fit the SDFM VF-1 look alright.

I used the Medium (I believe) on an old Imai Gerwalk I built.

post-12411-0-10028800-1369540978_thumb.jpg
post-12411-0-78412200-1369540967_thumb.jpg

Nice job. How was the handle-holding hand? It seems you had to do some cutting either to the hand or the gunpod (my guess) in order to bash them together. That's my only major dig against those hands. But otherwise they look great, and I'm surprised they're still in stock given how long it's been since their initial release. I wonder if the company had to make new molds or if the old ones have really lasted this long.

Some general questions for everybody:

- Does the VF-1 really have that antenna sticking out of its backpack on the Imai kit? I wasn't aware of it until now, but I can't tell where it stores in fighter/battroid mode. (Maybe it just retracts into the backpack...?)

- Is there an explanation for how the tail fins fold up? On the Hasegawa kits, they make it seem as if each wing folds on itself and the fold-lines meet in the center of the backpack, but all the toys and the recent Bandai kit just have them hinge at the base and rest one wing on top of the other. I'd like to think that Hasegawa's is more representative of the actual transformation mechanic and the toys/Bandai kit method is meant for simpler engineering, but since they're so much more prolific...

Nice job. How was the handle-holding hand? It seems you had to do some cutting either to the hand or the gunpod (my guess) in order to bash them together.

Yes, I modified the gunpod. I cut off the original handle and matched it up to the handle-holding hand.

Edited by Jefuemon

- Is there an explanation for how the tail fins fold up? On the Hasegawa kits, they make it seem as if each wing folds on itself and the fold-lines meet in the center of the backpack, but all the toys and the recent Bandai kit just have them hinge at the base and rest one wing on top of the other.

SDFM depicts the vertical stabilizers folding on top of each other (the second option you described). I'm watching Episode 6 right now, the one about Hikaru's first combat mission near Saturn. It shows two VF-1As moving up to the flight deck on the elevator, and their stabilizers unfold as a single piece, one laying on top of the other. Not sure if any of the technical books depict it - I'll have to look back through the ones I have. Hinging in the middle of each fin like the Hasegawa model looks kind of tidy, but I think it would add complexity to the design and would result in one more mechanism that could potentially malfunction or even fail.