Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

1 hour ago, macsam said:

was the kit even painted in the video above?

You obviously didn't watch the video.  Lucky you.  <_<

• 19:01 "I didn't want to use any paints at all for when I was building this kit." 
  • 19:56 "I didn't want to bust out any paints.  Didn't want to use any paints at all."
  • 22:54 "Nothing on this kit is painted."

That alone should indicate how lazy and amateurish this "review" is, and I suspect he spent as little time making the kit as he did preparing his video.  It doesn't even begin to explain how someone who claims to live in Japan could have such a poor grasp of Japanese pronunciation, however.  Those of us who have suffered through the ADV dubs will recognize the grating sound of "Muh-CROSS," but I'd never heard anyone say "Tuh-MEE-ya" before...  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Artoor said:

Dear sweet mother of all mecha...This is just wrong...I can't stand it. Model for 340$! Unpainted! No...please no...

What I was thinking too.  Didn't even clean the parts from where he cut from the sprues, yikes.  What a waste of a very expensive kit.

The one positive thing that I got out of the review is that this kit definitely not for me.  I'm actually a bit disappointed in some of the details, or lack there of.

I definitely would not be satisfied with building it as is. 

• Boosters look too big
  • Head unit detail is brutally lacking and the head lasers on the 1S head look off.
  • Landing gear bays don't look deep enough that they would actually house landing gear.

Image result for Club-M 1/48 VF-1S"

You would think for a kit this size & price, that the details would be equal to the old Club-B Resin kit. 

And I agree with @peter Boosters look way to big and I feel the Skull emblem is undersized. 

Edited by 505thAirborne

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

It seems like it's new tweet from Max, specifically mentioning if a Battroid kit is possible with minimal mold changes. Not really a promise or announcement but still interesting. Maybe he's putting this out twitter because Shizuoka Hobby Show got cancelled.

I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that (1) I hope only minimal mold changes are needed and (2) I will definitely buy one if they're made. I've already set aside enough shelf space to have all three Strike kits next to each other, done up as Roy. Not sure what I'm going to do with the fighter-only kit, but I'm leaning towards making it a CF.

Looking at it as it is now, the arms are straight form the Gerwalk, Super parts are all the same, and legs are maybe straight from the fighter? The big issue is that a completely new torso is absolutely needed but it seems they did think about this long ago and those parts are all isolated to the B runner. If they do decide to keep the existing legs that might be unsatisfactory to some people. If they decide on all new legs that might make it financially not viable to pursue. Oh well I guess we'll see what the future holds eventually.

At the end of the day any Super/Strike kit is still gonna be ~36,000yen and that's ouch...

Honestly I'd still they rather do VF-1D. We know for sure that's only swapping out the body and cockpit parts with no other issue.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

The normal fighter kit is in at HLJ!

But damn... the cheapest shipping option is $139 for standard airmail, and that takes 2-6 weeks to get to the US.

Lucky you, for shipping to Poland I would have to pay twice the model...no kidding

Edited by Artoor

7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The normal fighter kit is in at HLJ!

But damn... the cheapest shipping option is $139 for standard airmail, and that takes 2-6 weeks to get to the US.

I preordered one from HLJ because, unlike every other store, they will try to find a reasonably-priced shipping option for you. For the Strike Gerwalk and Strike Fighter kits, I contacted them and asked for a quote because the automated options in their Private Warehouse were very expensive, and they came back with much lower numbers for FedEx, DHL, and EMS. This is not a new problem for their customer support team--they know the drill now. I haven't contacted them about this kit yet because it just showed up in my PW overnight and their support staff don't work over the weekend. I'll report back with their estimate. I'm going to ask for one based on non-pandemic conditions, i.e., leaving it in my PW until international shipping opens back up. I used EMS for the first two kits and the shipping was "reasonable" (¥15,500 for the Strike Gerwalk, ¥9,840 for the Strike Fighter). Since HLJ is willing to hang onto orders for longer than the usual 60 days, you could use the Strike Fighter number as an estimate, but it will probably be lower because the box for this kit should be smaller and lighter. @tekeringwas kind enough to post the dimensions and weight of the Strike Fighter shipping box, which helped me because I went to Japan Post's site, got an EMS estimate there, and *then* contacted HLJ with that number in hand.

12 hours ago, Artoor said:

What happened to this Valkyrie? Burned up a little during atmospheric deceleration or was operating over Ruhra?

As much as I love weathered models , it should be weathered with a little common sense...

Roy probably jammed the throttles forward and burned the paint going mach 5 on the deck... you know, just Roy being Himself :D

but yea, it's a little stark... probably shoulda put 1 or 2 more really thin coats of white over it to tone it down...

or maybe if she was supposed to be gray instead of white this approach would've come out more subtle.

5 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I preordered one from HLJ because, unlike every other store, they will try to find a reasonably-priced shipping option for you. For the Strike Gerwalk and Strike Fighter kits, I contacted them and asked for a quote because the automated options in their Private Warehouse were very expensive, and they came back with much lower numbers for FedEx, DHL, and EMS. This is not a new problem for their customer support team--they know the drill now. I haven't contacted them about this kit yet because it just showed up in my PW overnight and their support staff don't work over the weekend. I'll report back with their estimate. I'm going to ask for one based on non-pandemic conditions, i.e., leaving it in my PW until international shipping opens back up. I used EMS for the first two kits and the shipping was "reasonable" (¥15,500 for the Strike Gerwalk, ¥9,840 for the Strike Fighter). Since HLJ is willing to hang onto orders for longer than the usual 60 days, you could use the Strike Fighter number as an estimate, but it will probably be lower because the box for this kit should be smaller and lighter. @tekeringwas kind enough to post the dimensions and weight of the Strike Fighter shipping box, which helped me because I went to Japan Post's site, got an EMS estimate there, and *then* contacted HLJ with that number in hand.

That sounds great, thanks!
Yea, Y9840 for EMS sounds much better.  And the box dimensions on HLJ show that the Strike fighter is about half the size and weight of this one. 

Actually, this page shows that it should only be Y8000 to ship to North America via EMS.  I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Edited by Valkyrie

12 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

That sounds great, thanks!
Yea, Y9840 for EMS sounds much better.  And the box dimensions on HLJ show that the Strike fighter is about half the size and weight of this one. 

Actually, this page shows that it should only be Y8000 to ship to North America via EMS.  I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Based on the photos @tekeringshared, it looks like the gross weight of the shipping box is 5.45kg. Using the handy price calculator on Japan Post's site, setting Tochigi as the origin and New Mexico as the destination, you end up with ¥9400, which matches what is on that page for price-by-destination-zone. The last time I worked with HLJ on this, I think their EMS price came in a little lower than what I calculated. Maybe they get a volume discount.

Quick update on HLJ shipping options for the Fighter kit. As with the previous two kits, they are willing to generate quotes manually because they recognize that their automated system doesn't work for items this large. It usually takes them a day or two to do that.