Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

Official product page: https://www.goodsmile.info/ja/product/8904/PLAMAX+MF+45+minimum+factory+VF+1+ファイター+バルキリー.html

First announcement: February 2016

Finally released: March 2020

Though they did get sidetracked a bit....

EDIT: Blogpost of runners

https://plamax.exblog.jp/30834546/

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

The size of this thing still boggles the mind.  I don't live in big house or anything, but I can't imagine how much real estate these things hog up in smaller apartments, lol!

17 hours ago, peter said:

The size of this thing still boggles the mind.  I don't live in big house or anything, but I can't imagine how much real estate these things hog up in smaller apartments, lol!

I'm setting aside a nice chunk of space in my home office so I can put the Fighter and Gerwalk kits next to each other. I'm also leaving room for a Battroid kit so all three modes can be displayed in sequence. That kit hasn't been announced yet, and we don't know if Max Factory will do one, but I really hope so. It might take another four years, though, and as discussed previously in this thread, it would require all new molds if they want to stay close to the line art (different proportions). Might be too costly....

On 10/17/2019 at 9:31 PM, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Official product page: https://www.goodsmile.info/ja/product/8904/PLAMAX+MF+45+minimum+factory+VF+1+ファイター+バルキリー.html

First announcement: February 2016

Finally released: March 2020

Though they did get sidetracked a bit....

EDIT: Blogpost of runners

https://plamax.exblog.jp/30834546/

I broke down and pre-ordered one from HLJ. I'm thinking that I'll turn it into a Cannon Fodder, maybe display it at work. I've always had a soft spot for the CF and it doesn't get nearly enough love.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw that VF-1D build and it bothers me slightly that he's making the same mistake that Arii did with their kit. They just added a two seat cockpit onto a regular VF-1A/J/S body when the double cockpit is supposed to extend backwards into the body and keeping overall length the same.

0oH4WA8.jpg IwXpR7J.jpg

Extra Long Arii version:
Zdf9bNr.jpg

That Arii kit was my first attempt at any Macross kit, I though it would be a quick and easy straight build but once I noticed this I started modifying endlessly to the point where it's just sitting back in its box half done.....

Is the VT-1 the same as the VF-1D? Maybe he's converting to one of those. If that's supposed to be Misa in the second seat it kinda makes sense, but the canopy of the VT-1 is pretty different from the  VF-1D\VF-1, so you are probably right.

He mentions at the start of the video that it's the D, he carved off the DYRL shoulders from Hikaru and in the latest tweet in the background you can see he gave Minmay the helmet already.

As for the VT-1, the cockpit isn't as long so it doesn't extend that far back but the panel detail on the body still changes. It also has a differently shaped canopy frame.

Yeah, just watching his other videos now. it's definitely the D.

So who's gonna get one of these and convert it to a VT-1, or VE-1? any takers? :shok:;)

Edited by Chas

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tekering said:

Oh, his camouflage scheme looks more like a remedial art school project.  :blink:

EL59zCSU8AAy5ku.jpg

EL59zCYU4AUawLw.jpg

EL59zCVVUAAr0OM.jpg

I'm glad he fixed the head lasers on the 1S.  In fighter and Gerwalk, they were way too thin and close together.

2 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Guys, for the 2nd time, it's just the pre-shading

The whole point is to give you a much greater tonal variance to your colors than just white/grey/black pre-shading allows.

The tonal pre-shading thing I get, and I can appreciate the effect it gives, but I'm far more baffled by the fact that the entire thing looks permanently assembled before final painting.  I have to assume it's only pinned together, and can all be separated out to actually apply proper colors, because otherwise painting things like the feet and missile pods is going to be a miserable process.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Guys, for the 2nd time, it's just the pre-shading

The whole point is to give you a much greater tonal variance to your colors than just white/grey/black pre-shading allows.

Here's another example:
A8n1hQK.jpg

zRoLSdM.jpg

mtmH1Gb.jpg

I'm interested in using this technique, but am baffled about the correct way to go about doing it... I tried it a couple times, but each time the top color just completely covers the "pre-shading" variance... does it work better with lacquers, or acrylic? or do I just have to thin the heck out of the top base coat color? Any help/step-by-step would be much appreciated! 

On 12/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, milhouse said:

I'm interested in using this technique, but am baffled about the correct way to go about doing it... I tried it a couple times, but each time the top color just completely covers the "pre-shading" variance... does it work better with lacquers, or acrylic? or do I just have to thin the heck out of the top base coat color? Any help/step-by-step would be much appreciated! 

I have not tried this myself, but a greater amount of thinner should do the trick. Alternatively, you can mix the base color with a clear medium like varnish to reduce the opacity of the paint.