Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

17 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

For those that have theirs already, what's the outside diameter of the gunpod and roughly how long is it?

I make it 38mm in diameter, 382mm in length.

16 hours ago, 007-vf1 said:

Every one seems to forget that when hasegawa came out with their 1/72 fighter valks they had the inherited flat “backpacks”. Theirs didn’t get rounded until the battroids came out. Same issue with their 1/48 valks.

i am thinking they did this purposely to be use again pieces on the future fighter mode.

I doubt that.  The backpack pieces (including the folded wing flaps) are on a single sprue, and the panel that stick out the back would prevent it from fitting into fighter mode.

21 hours ago, GMK said:

@tekering what are your thoughts on how Hasegawa tackled their Gerwalk’s backpack?

The shape is accurate, and I think it's a good model to emulate.  The detailing is all wrong, though.  <_<

21 hours ago, GMK said:

@tekeringBtw, apart from the nozzles & antenna, did you do anything else to the backpack to improve the look?

A great deal, yes.  What came as two separate pieces I cut into ten, and selectively removed edges (mostly cutting along sculpted panel lines) to create a smaller, more trapezoidal shape once the surfaces were glued back together.

1942062856_backpackthrusters.thumb.jpg.fed7e95582f4064267bf6f5f3faa3c82.jpg

I also made a thinner, more detailed antenna than my earlier attempt, built a special mounting plate to support the thrusters, and added those ubiquitous triangular shapes on either side (the most consistently seen panel detail on any drawing, toy or model, and the one Max Factory neglected to put there).  <_<

999236435_backpackvent.thumb.jpg.faa915caeacc538803f6f1be2a3b08e1.jpg  

The folded wingtips and trapezoidal panel above them were both removed and turned upside-down, so the sculpted detail on the panel lines would be visible.  :hi:

Now I can move onto the next challenge -- getting the legs and feet into a position that supports the model without requiring the stand...

Edited by tekering

3 hours ago, tekering said:

I make it 38mm in diameter, 382mm in length.

I doubt that.  The backpack pieces (including the folded wing flaps) are on a single sprue, and the panel that stick out the back would prevent it from fitting into fighter mode.

The shape is accurate, and I think it's a good model to emulate.  The detailing is all wrong, though.  <_<

A great deal, yes.  What came as two separate pieces I cut into ten, and selectively removed edges (mostly cutting along sculpted panel lines) to create a smaller, more trapezoidal shape once the surfaces were glued back together.

1942062856_backpackthrusters.thumb.jpg.fed7e95582f4064267bf6f5f3faa3c82.jpg

I also made a thinner, more detailed antenna than my earlier attempt, built a special mounting plate to support the thrusters, and added those ubiquitous triangular shapes on either side (the most consistently seen panel detail on any drawing, toy or model, and the one Max Factory neglected to put there).  <_<

999236435_backpackvent.thumb.jpg.faa915caeacc538803f6f1be2a3b08e1.jpg  

The folded wingtips and trapezoidal panel above them were both removed and turned upside-down, so the sculpted detail on the panel lines would be visible.  :hi:

Now I can move onto the next challenge -- getting the legs and feet into a position that supports the model without requiring the stand...

I'm assuming at this point that you're not putting in the Fast Packs / Super parts? If you aren't, what are you doing with your leftover super cannon? :)

35 minutes ago, Mr Jones said:

I'm assuming at this point that you're not putting in the Fast Packs / Super parts? If you aren't, what are you doing with your leftover super cannon? :)

I have a feeling Tekering will utilize magnets in it so he can put on and off the S/S parts. :rolleyes:

HLJ's explanation regarding the shipping no-show or the order:

Unfortunately, this item is too large for our shipping calculator to automatically calculate its shipping cost. The available shipping methods and costs for one piece of this item to Canada are:

EMS: 15,500 yen
FedEx: 8,103 yen
DHL: 9,293 yen

I had to email their products/order dept to get an answer.  They will input the shipping method for me 

12 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

I'm assuming at this point that you're not putting in the Fast Packs / Super parts?

I'm keeping the option open... which is why these panels are removable:

removable.thumb.jpg.2bf4a7d0cd47cae6b3e5d003b8f6e247.jpg

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I have a feeling Tekering will utilize magnets in it so he can put on and off the S/S parts.

I don't think magnets will be strong enough to secure the boosters.  I'm relying on the existing mounting bracket, simply modifying it so that it can be taken in and out.

mounts.thumb.jpg.2cb1e79c604b14b0081e605a73fecc74.jpg

13 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Adding the recessed band should also get you closer to the iconic look of the backpack.

It should be recessed, I know, but it would seriously compromise the integrity of the booster mounts... at least, as Max Factory designed 'em.

Maybe I can come up with a secure method that doesn't require linking the boosters together...  :huh:

13 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Is the intake grill canon? 

Technically, no.  As depicted in the line art and the animation, nothing should actually be visible there.  :p

1991876399_VF-1Dgerwalk.jpg.f5ea937bd7295729f2a966be37429c47.jpg

Even the extreme close-up in DYRL is stubbornly featureless:

1824327025_DYRLclose-up.jpg.e4f070ff62e6e4cf9aa94f87ccf39b98.jpg

When it comes to official products and packaging, however, there is no consistency whatsoever!  :crazy:

inconsistencies.jpg.8ba9c2b81d24b9b9f305d679a55a24a2.jpg

The more research I do, the more confusing it becomes.  :unknw:

3 hours ago, tekering said:

I don't think magnets will be strong enough to secure the boosters.  I'm relying on the existing mounting bracket, simply modifying it so that it can be taken in and out.

It should be recessed, I know, but it would seriously compromise the integrity of the booster mounts... at least, as Max Factory designed 'em.

Maybe I can come up with a secure method that doesn't require linking the boosters together...  :huh:

Technically, no.  As depicted in the line art and the animation, nothing should actually be visible there.  :p

When it comes to official products and packaging, however, there is no consistency whatsoever!  :crazy:

Thanks for paving the way -- I'm definitely taking notes for my build here :) Frankly I might leave the intake they have but cover it in a fine mesh like speaker covering/nylon and perhaps light it from behind for a fun effect

6 hours ago, tekering said:

I hope these help alleviate the ambiguity. They come straight from the source.

E8BFD720-FD1D-496E-BC72-0715BD5EFB35.jpeg

326E99E5-FA4B-4911-BD06-7F8E25C5511D.jpeg

23 hours ago, tekering said:

Iinconsistencies.jpg.8ba9c2b81d24b9b9f305d679a55a24a2.jpg

That's some fine "backpack" research there :rofl:

Edited by arbit

On 11/29/2018 at 2:16 PM, mslz22 said:

A and HLJ took my payment but will not let me move it from PW to cart to pay the ship

Well I got my shipping notice from HLJ for that one but now NY is asking for an additional $170 for shipping.   I already paid them like $80 so it's $250 to ship from them but like $85 from HLJ?  

I've asked to cancel the order but not sure what their policy is.  Anyone have experience with them on that?  Feels like a bait and switch IMO.

2 minutes ago, mslz22 said:

Well I got my shipping notice from HLJ for that one but now NY is asking for an additional $170 for shipping.   I already paid them like $80 so it's $250 to ship from them but like $85 from HLJ?  

I've asked to cancel the order but not sure what their policy is.  Anyone have experience with them on that?  Feels like a bait and switch IMO.

never ordered anything from them so no experience... but 250$ seems excessive! 

2 hours ago, mslz22 said:

Ask them to change it to FedEx or DHL shipping, as those seem to be cheaper. Also get an updated shipping quote BEFORE you tell them to proceed.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

So, to modify the legs so the gerwalk can stand, these pieces will have to be cut apart to reposition the joints:

unmodified.thumb.jpg.294543e6991e639a668aec563a60fa66.jpg

On the left you see the unmodified leg.  The position of the feet are the biggest problem...

proposal.thumb.jpg.b31a75b848944655117fb611aaafc713.jpg

On the right, the leg I've modified.

762151634_toarticulateornottoarticulate.thumb.jpg.9132257929f18c920f5fba477479cbf4.jpg

Cutting off the intake segment is necessary to straighten out the legs, so they aren't canted at such a dramatic angle.

I'm not sure how I'll go about articulating that joint, or even just reattaching it in the required position...

On 12/5/2018 at 2:03 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

I hope these help alleviate the ambiguity. They come straight from the source.

E8BFD720-FD1D-496E-BC72-0715BD5EFB35.jpeg

Thanks!  It's nice to see additional model sheets, even if they contradict each other... or screw up the proportions, like the above illustration.  That backpack is MASSIVE!

And for some reason, the pilot is sitting above the cockpit, rather than in it...  :huh:

7 hours ago, mslz22 said:

NY is asking for an additional $170 for shipping. 

An additional $170?  :o 

2 hours ago, tekering said:

So, to modify the legs so the gerwalk can stand, these pieces will have to be cut apart to reposition the joints:

unmodified.thumb.jpg.294543e6991e639a668aec563a60fa66.jpg

Thanks for keeping us all updated on your build. 

With a layout structured like that, it looks like closed intake covers are the only practical option! Shame. Now to find some SDFM artwork of a Gerwalk operating in-atmosphere with intake covers closed. 

1 minute ago, Mr Jones said:

Its one of the Hi-Metal-R ones -- so non scale but I believe somewhere near 1/100? 

i think the HMR valks scale out to like 1/90... but yea, HMR runs around 1/100

Spoiler

Friday:

• Get home just as the postwoman is here, but she doesn't have it.
  • It went out separately, and showed up at 10:30am when nobody was there to sign for it. 
  • Postwoman suggests I go pick it up at the post office, which I do, but it's not there yet. So come back tomorrow.
  • Request hold at post office via tracking

Saturday:

• Go to post office, but it's out for delivery again.
  • Get home just in time to get a text saying that it wasn't out for delivery, just held in a staging area.
  • Woman from Post Office says they'll deliver that evening
  • Is not delivered that evening

Sunday:

• Post office is closed

Monday:

• Got held late at work due to emergency, can't make it to post office

Tuesday:

• Go to post office before dentist appointment for filling that fell out (on Friday)
  • Nobody comes to the package pickup window to let me claim it
  • Have to leave after waiting 15min so I don't miss dentist appointment
  • Leave work as soon as possible, and can't make it to post before they close

Wednesday:

• Post office closed for Bush's funeral

Thursday:

• Finally pick it up, almost a week after it was supposed to be delivered.

That gave me more trouble than any other package I've ever picked up.

With shipping, original cost and duty ~$580 CAD. There was a 'cheaper' option with FEDEX but I refused that for the same reasons; they and UPS have terrible rates at the border. Gave DHL a chance ( since they do a good job when I order from Amazon.co.jp ) and it worked out. Will it again in the future? Who knows but this time it was good.

Look Ma, no stand!  :D

505497203_lookma.thumb.jpg.5bea9d28063e80999b7c7dbf63bf9c82.jpg

It'll look a lot better with scratch-built feet for a bolder Gerwalk stance, but at least I've proved it can stand using the existing parts... after significant modification, of course.  :p

I came up with a pretty simple solution for articulating the intake joint.  After cutting a piece of styrene to fill the gap in the thigh, I drilled a hole in the center, and a matching hole centered behind the intake:

holes.thumb.jpg.8971d3aa1777a5800bbe1635a69cef6c.jpg

I then threaded a nut through the holes and bolted them together, leaving just enough tension to be able to rotate the parts.

bolt.thumb.jpg.bf94193fadee3cab3741c012e6cbb37d.jpg

Now the legs can be also be repositioned for a dramatic flight pose, as Max Factory intended.

flight-posed.thumb.jpg.021bb1bb4c9ae8dd0de2aba400939b66.jpg

On 12/6/2018 at 5:56 PM, GMK said:

Thanks for keeping us all updated on your build. 

Thanks for your attention!  Modeling can be a lonely hobby (as we all know), and getting feedback at each stage of the process helps motivate me to continue onto the next stage.  I appreciate all your comments, guys.  It reminds me I'm not just working in a vacuum.

Glad to see the rest of you are finally starting to receive your kits as well, so I'm not the only one posting pics here.  ^_^

I love all these changes -- I have a different plan for how to mount mine but I'm going need to do some reinforcing of some parts to pull it off. Also will come down to a lot of reposing but I think it's worth it. Being a bit secretive until I can mock it up ;)

Really excellent work @tekering. Thank you for sharing your progress with us, and I hope that you continue to do so!

For the intake swivel you've built, are you planning on using a split washer or perhaps a nylock nut, or did you glue the nut down? Repeated posing might conceivably loosen the nut over time if it's not fixed in place somehow.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, Hiriyu said:

Really excellent work @tekering. Thank you for sharing your progress with us, and I hope that you continue to do so!

For the intake swivel you've built, are you planning on using a split washer or perhaps a nylock nut, or did you glue the nut down? Repeated posing might conceivably loosen the nut over time if it's not fixed in place somehow.

I was going to ask, are you planning to reinforce those joints at all?  If the plastic is thick enough it might not need it, but a large washer on either side of the bolt would help distribute the load, and keep that nut from stretching and breaking through the plastic.

I'm kinda stuck with the feet.  I want to achieve a wide-legged stance like this:

220039221_o.jpg

...but I'll probably have to make all-new scratch built feet to do it, and I don't know how I could mount them securely...

On 12/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, Hiriyu said:

Repeated posing might conceivably loosen the nut over time if it's not fixed in place somehow.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

a large washer on either side of the bolt would help distribute the load, and keep that nut from stretching and breaking through the plastic.

Thanks, guys.  That's good advice.  :good:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I'm kinda stuck with the feet.  I want to achieve a wide-legged stance like this:

220039221_o.jpg

...but I'll probably have to make all-new scratch built feet to do it, and I don't know how I could mount them securely...

Thanks, guys.  That's good advice.  :good:

i myself am going to modify the feet, when i get mine tomorrow.

ill post what changes i make.