Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

My N-Y order is already in preparation status and no message for additional fees yet. Also tried adding the kit to my cart just to check if there are updates in the shipping calculator, and is still the same.  Do note that the original shipping estimate was for a 5 kg item as per Japan Post (SAL).

Thanks for the shipping cost info!

This lovely gentleman has an unboxing thread on twitter. The Box Inception keeps going it seems. There's three flat boxes inside the colorful box which is inside the plain cardboard box which seems to get an extra cardboard box all around by whoever shipped it to him (and presumably for international buyers too)

Now I just want complete manual scans while I wait for mine. Hobby Search doesn't seem to post PLAMAX manuals like they do with everything else

I have yet to see the VF-1 at any shops here in Tokyo (amiami, yellow submarine, volks, yodabashi, etc) ... perhaps today will be the day!

Also, it's a bit funny to see that unboxing thread on twitter... a slight chortle was expressed

16 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I have yet to see the VF-1 at any shops here in Tokyo (amiami, yellow submarine, volks, yodabashi, etc) ... perhaps today will be the day!

I don't know where "compon" got his, but the Japanese release date isn't for another week...

pre-order.jpeg.ad39980fbb47a59b4159dc708a48c82f.jpeg

Edited by tekering

1 hour ago, macsam said:

thanks.  another ordered from Nippon Yasan before?

i am located in Canada.  Are they reasonable with shipping cost?

h

If you haven't ordered from them there's a way to see the shipping cost to Canada by putting an available item to the cart. And on the right side panel you'll see the Cart and Shipping Calculator buttons. Click the Shipping Calculator Button and select the country where you want it to be shipped. There you will see shipping method and cost available for you.

Here's a screenshot. Remember, this interactive computation only works with items that are available and not 'unavailable/sold out'.

NipponYasan_Canada_Shipping_Cost.JPG.6852a603ec80f0ff2f36a1998a7a2820.JPG

Edited by no3Ljm

56 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

If you haven't ordered from them there's a way to see the shipping cost to Canada by putting an available item to the cart. And on the right side panel you'll see the Cart and Shipping Calculator buttons. Click the Shipping Calculator Button and select the country where you want it to be shipped. There you will see shipping method and cost available for you.

Here's a screenshot. Remember, this interactive computation only works with items that are available and not 'unavailable/sold out'.

NipponYasan_Canada_Shipping_Cost.JPG.6852a603ec80f0ff2f36a1998a7a2820.JPG

thanks for the info.  i am seriously late to the game on this one.  thankful and relieved that i can still get my hands on this one.  

7 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Unfortunately this is way to big for me. Ironically making it's most attractive feature its biggest drawback.

It qould be great if they pulled a Wingnut Wings and offered just the cockpit section:D

Cheers,

Brett 

Now that would be an interesting idea for PlaMax to market. I could get behind something like this if they offered all the pilots for DYRL and SDFM for all VF/E/T and A/S/J/D configurations.

2 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

HLJ just charged me for mine; in my private warehouse but currently no calculated shipping options. :S

Can you try and put your item ready to ship so you can check how much the available shipping cost is? Thanks!

On 11/24/2018 at 10:13 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

Now that would be an interesting idea for PlaMax to market. I could get behind something like this if they offered all the pilots for DYRL and SDFM for all VF/E/T and A/S/J/D configurations.

A set of separate heads paired with pilots would be sweet. 

8 hours ago, GMK said:

A set of separate heads paired with pilots would be sweet. 

A/J/S heads are already included in the kit. Pilot runners are entirely separate so we'll probably get extra ones as plain minimum factory releases.

From the looks of it the runners look laid out to only swap two runners to make it a VF-1D. 

So, I'm back in the US without a second vf-1 (didn't have the money or space in my suitcase for this monster, or maybe I'm not hardcore enough)... will have to wait for CDJ to ship/upcharge shipping

Anywho, I got to see the model in box (and in box with a box) at Yellow Submarine in Akihabara's Radio Kaiken... It's big.... it's heavy... I was giddy... it made me really wish I had brought another suitcase.

I got all my model supplies ready

Well, I'm massively underwhelmed.  This isn't really a kit with a lot of potential... at least, not without aftermarket decals and upgrade parts.  As it stands, it only comes with lousy stickers:

725640565_lousystickers.thumb.jpg.e2059c1f2d8d0e64fa0be051e0994165.jpg

Stickers meant to be applied over molded detail, at that.  <_<

Obviously, you're better off painting whatever detail you can, but that doesn't extend to all the warnings and nomenclature, of course...

493901124_stickerQC.thumb.jpg.db62427deeee388b5f5a914cb607a7dc.jpg

If you're lucky, your sticker sheets won't be stuck together like mine were.  :(

1080006089_damagedstickers.thumb.jpg.0947a61b2c9318a9cc44208ecbddbb47.jpg

Again, you're better off painting whatever you can.

1027298464_genericpilot.thumb.jpg.f52d692435aa586c3662a0628c997cec.jpg

The DYRL pilot figure included is molded in Roy's colors -- matching the stickers -- but there's nothing specific about the sculpt; you can paint him any color and call him whoever you want.  Stickers only include Roy's name under the cockpit canopy, however.

694509100_nomountingpoints.thumb.jpg.b01b9465ce98cd8223a211efecf3c31f.jpg

Even if optional missile pods are made available in the future, there will be no way to attach them to the wings; as you can see, there are no mounting points whatsoever.

simplified.thumb.jpg.de85d1bc1832c4bbe4c5e37384cf6d66.jpg

We knew going in that it wasn't transformable, of course, but it's gonna take a lot of effort to even make it LOOK like it could.  The kit is simplified to the point where separate moving parts have been sculpted as single static pieces -- the arms and legs, even -- and I think I'll be cutting a lot of these large parts into separate pieces just to maintain the illusion of articulation.

183638372_flatdetail.thumb.jpg.60631db2dc92eaede6b2fa385a137e82.jpg

The detailing is accurate to the line art, even on the underside, but it's awfully flat and shallow.

Basically, Max Factory has cut every corner they could to keep this kit reasonably affordable, but anyone used to Hasegawa, Tamiya, or Bandai kits will likely be disappointed with the results:

• The lack of articulation is understandable, but the low parts count means it's not gonna look good without considerable effort.  
  • The lack of tampography, rub-on transfers or water-slide decals is inexcusable, and the supplied stickers look like they belong on a cheap toy.  
  • Unless you have the skills and resources to make your own decals, there's no point in even using the optional 1A or 1J recessed head parts, since the stickers supplied are only for Roy Focker's 1S.

Frankly, I'd rather pay twice the price for a decent kit at this scale than go to all the effort it will require to make this one look good, even as the stock Roy DYRL scheme.  <_<

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yup, Just got dinged new shipping for CDJ, ¥17,800

Total price: ¥49,124, or $435.11 on the cc charge.

I was just charged right now. Paid for it... It stings a little, but then again I make sure I have money for things I need before I buy things I want

Question: how much paint do you think will be needed on this? What are your guys/gals preferred paint brands?

I usually build/paint 1/100 macross kits, 1/35 military kits, or anime/custom figures. I used to solely use Vallejo paints, but a local shop stocks Gaia Notes, and Mr Color, so I've been using those, and will likely use that on this kit

i am confused with the head pieces.  do you have to extract the head out of the plastic all around?   Meaning you have to use an exacto knife to cut all around it?

Is it a full complete head that you join with a bottom head piece or is it just the top?