If Mirage doesn't cover any aunt Mylene songs by the end of Delta I will be somewhat disappointed.

Mirage doing "Dakedo Baby" wold feel somewhat out of character. Maybe "Sweet Fantasy"?

I think she'd be better off covering her other aunt Emilia? "Heart and Soul" would be wicked!

• 3 months later...

I post this in tribute to the real workhorse of the entire series that not only made Windermere's defeat possible but effortlessly withstood the power of the Star Singer. Not Walkure, not Delta Platoon, not the Macross Elysion.

A round of applause for... this inanimate fold quartz pendant. May we one day find out what was so special about it.

post-10330-0-77423800-1475206862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Einherjar

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2017/6/13 at 4:40 AM, Marzan said:

The most interesting and well fleshed character out of Walkure.

”Kaname” is a male name and I have not known the exception yet.

1 hour ago, antibiotictab said:

I bet it is used for both. I've seen many female Kaname's. There is one in Full Metal Panic as well for example.

5 hours ago, antibiotictab said:

It's a unisex name, something that from my experience is actually fairly popular in Japan.

(Hell, Macross's original leading man, Hikaru Ichijo, has a given name that's used for girls as often as for boys.  Most of the Hikarus I know, in person and in fiction, are female.)

14 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I bet it is used for both. I've seen many female Kaname's. There is one in Full Metal Panic as well for example.

You mean fictional people? Sorry, but I don't know any actual female ones whose name is Kaname.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's a unisex name, something that from my experience is actually fairly popular in Japan.

(Hell, Macross's original leading man, Hikaru Ichijo, has a given name that's used for girls as often as for boys.  Most of the Hikarus I know, in person and in fiction, are female.)

Yeah, Hikaru is a popular unisex name. For example, Hikaru Nishida's name was decided by her parents before she had been born because it is usable for both sexes. She is also famous as a native English speaker because she had been grown up in Los Angeles.

You know, Makoto is also popular one. I know many actual and fictional male/ female Makotos. One of them is my relatives.

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

If that's what you think, then fine I guess, but... like, I dunno how her having a male name (even though it isn't strictly) has any bearing on the fact that she's without a doubt best girl.

Indeed.

7 minutes ago, antibiotictab said:

You mean fictional people? Sorry, but I don't know any actual female ones whose name is Kaname.

I do, I've met two... both of 'em while I was working with Sumitomo Electric a few years back on a technology demonstrator. 

I miss being able to write off trips to SoCal and Japan as business expenses. :( 

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

If that's what you think, then fine I guess, but... like, I dunno how her having a male name (even though it isn't strictly) has any bearing on the fact that she's without a doubt best girl.

K-A-N-A-M-E?  That's not how you spell "Mirage", man. :p 

On 7/9/2017 at 9:10 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

K-A-N-A-M-E?  That's not how you spell "Mirage", man. :p 

Quoted for Truth. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Um, weren't Mirage and Mikumo assigned to the same fighter? Or am I remembering wrong? Also that's a pretty sweet picture, where'd you get that?

Nah, Arad was Mikumo's partner when it came to Walkure's battlefield operations and it was his VF-31S she used as a mobile stage in the first episode.  Messer was shown to serve as Kaname's support, Chuck had Reina, and since Hayate and Freyja joined at the same time that leaves Mirage and Makina.

Mirage did occasionally end up as Mikumo's minder when Walkure was operating undercover in the field like they did on Al Shahal and Voldor, presumably because she was the most junior member of Delta Flight until Hayate joined and presumably Arad and co. had better things to do than try to shepherd little miss Attention Deficit Disorder.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda digging the romantic implications here... Putting aside the age difference that otherwise creeps the pairing out of existence, Reina and Chuck don't look bad together. Mirage looks like she's about to embark on a wild menage-a-trois binge with both Hayate and Freyja AND Makina and Reina. And Arad and Mikumo top it off as the "mature" pairing of the group.

I'll just pretend that final couple doesn't exist. (Which is easy to do because it doesn't OHHHHHH)

2 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda digging the romantic implications here... Putting aside the age difference that otherwise creeps the pairing out of existence, Reina and Chuck don't look bad together. Mirage looks like she's about to embark on a wild menage-a-trois binge with both Hayate and Freyja AND Makina and Reina. And Arad and Mikumo top it off as the "mature" pairing of the group.

That... Is not something I had noticed, but now I cannot unsee...

3 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I'll just pretend that final couple doesn't exist. (Which is easy to do because it doesn't OHHHHHH)

You dick! That reminds me of how I was just starting to appreciate Messer only for him to... have a taste of Pineapple Salad... Now I feel the feels....

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda digging the romantic implications here... Putting aside the age difference that otherwise creeps the pairing out of existence, Reina and Chuck don't look bad together.

Nah, I think Chuck needs a partner with more emotional range than a cress sandwich... maybe one of the bridge bunnies (or more than one, since Chuck seems to be a bit of a xenophile). 

You could replace Reina with a cardboard standee in 99% of her scenes like Fire Bomber used to do and nobody would notice.

Mirage looks like she's about to embark on a wild menage-a-trois binge with both Hayate and Freyja AND Makina and Reina.

An awful lot of fan fiction and doujinshi authors seem to agree with you on the first part... though, really, if Mirage wants Hayate all to herself all she has to do is wait a couple years.

And Arad and Mikumo top it off as the "mature" pairing of the group.

Super creepy... Mikumo is THREE and has minimal social awareness.  Besides, Arad spent all of his time bonding with Kaname over snack food and secrets, so there's going to be the pitter-patter of tiny ginger feet on the Elysion in the near future.

Never would've... even if he hadn't snuffed it.  Messer wasn't Kaname's love interest, you could make a decent case for calling him her stalker though.  Kind of a "reality ensues" moment that a brooding, antisocial arsehole doesn't get the girl. :p 

12 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Seems to have attracted a certain large-busted Ragnan waitress though. 

You mean Chuck's sister?  Messer was so busy stalking Kaname that he showed more interest in her kid brother than he ever did in her despite her practically throwing herself at him...

... ... ... oh hell, that sounds even wronger than it was meant to.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, I think Chuck needs a partner with more emotional range than a cress sandwich... maybe one of the bridge bunnies (or more than one, since Chuck seems to be a bit of a xenophile). 

You could replace Reina with a cardboard standee in 99% of her scenes like Fire Bomber used to do and nobody would notice.

Oh, Reina was fine. And I mean, leveling that criticism at her is kind of like calling one saltine cracker out of a package dry and bland.

I like that she's grabbed Chuck's glasses to play around with while they're still attached to him. And the fact that he's totally comfortable with it is cute, too.

An awful lot of fan fiction and doujinshi authors seem to agree with you on the first part... though, really, if Mirage wants Hayate all to herself all she has to do is wait a couple years.

I'm not surprised, though I don't see her being able to be legit polyamorous with them, ie sustaining a meaningful romantic relationship with both of them. And I would seriously hope - and I've said this before, I know, but I still stand by it - that she doesn't end up with Hayate at all, at least not with the specter of Freyja hanging over whatever relationship they might have.

Super creepy... Mikumo is THREE and has minimal social awareness.  Besides, Arad spent all of his time bonding with Kaname over snack food and secrets, so there's going to be the pitter-patter of tiny ginger feet on the Elysion in the near future.

Trust me, no one wants to switch up the pairings more than I do (and I wouldn't even want to thrust her upon Messer because the creep factor surrounding her is just... unclean), but just from appearances, they look like the mom and dad of the group.

Never would've... even if he hadn't snuffed it.  Messer wasn't Kaname's love interest, you could make a decent case for calling him her stalker though.  Kind of a "reality ensues" moment that a brooding, antisocial arsehole doesn't get the girl. :p 

No, you know the writers were super angling for that whole "broody a-hole with a heart of gold who actually fights tooth and nail to protect the woman he loves and the girl who draws out his emotions and saves him through the power of love" BS. Because that's "romantic."

And judging by all the fan art of these two, they succeeded. frakk that.

I still get irrationally angry that they just completely dropped the Kaname/Arad subplot (that is to say, not more so than I get about all the other interesting story threads they dropped), because THAT one actually had some teeth and looked to be going somewhere.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Seems to have attracted a certain large-busted Ragnan waitress though. 

Did something actually come of that? I seem to remember her crying after his death, with the implication being that they had actually had something going on off-screen.

Only the writers know. Sucks to have a show where one of the characters has more emotion in the opening credits than in the actual show, unless he's going all Var-rage on his opposite number. 

29 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Most characters in Delta were pretty one dimensional to be honest. Kaname was the most developed one out of Walkure IMO.

Agreed if you don't count Freyja since she got the most attention. Kaname was set up to be a great side character who was all but forgotten though after her angst moment basically which is a massive shame. Hayate wasn't really all that bad, but he wasn't all that good either. That describes a lot of them really.

1 hour ago, Marzan said:

Most characters in Delta were pretty one dimensional to be honest. Kaname was the most developed one out of Walkure IMO.

Kaname was no less one-dimensional than the rest of Walkure... she got a little more characterization than Makina and Reina, but it was purely based on pity.  She got rescued from the Scrappy Heap in-universe after her idol career failed to launch because she had a fold receptor factor, then she lost de facto leadership of Walkure to Mikumo because she was a more powerful fold singer and better performer, and then she lost the one fan she actually had when Messer broke orders and got his one-dimensional self reduced to a stain on the canopy.  She's the designated woobie, nothing more... like how Makina exists solely to be Miss Fanservice, Reina is there only as the Quiet Girl, Mikumo spends almost the entire TV series as the Alpha B*tch before some last minute characterization to make her into Mina Forte by way of Sheryl Nome, etc.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:42 PM, Sildani said:

Only the writers know. Sucks to have a show where one of the characters has more emotion in the opening credits than in the actual show, unless he's going all Var-rage on his opposite number. 

To the best of our knowledge, it never went anywhere... she had a crush on him, that's all.