He only gets to be with her for like 15 years. After that he can be with Mirage.

Win-win.

why can't the triangle ever resolve in a threesome? You know, actually now that I think about it, personality wise Freyja and Mirage are more compatible than the other triangles we've seen.

Come to think of it, may be that's what Alto was hinting at in ep 25... he didn't want to choose, he wanted them both. ha ha.

Edited by kalvasflam

Let's look at those triangles and see which ones would work and which wouldn't shall we?

Hikaru/Misa/Minmay

Hibiki/Ishtar/Silvie

Isamu/Guld/Myung

Basara/Mylene/Gamlin

Shin/Sara/Mao

Alto/Sheryl/Ranka

Hayate/Mirage/Freyja

HAVE AT IT!!!! :D

probably just me but i never thought that Myung x Isamu ended up together in the end... it always felt like Guld --> Myung --> Isamu x flying

pretty much a straight line. i mean, Isamu cared but i didn't feel like it was THAT way. or, it's so subtle i completely missed it!

when i watched SDFM again as a grown up, i was thinking this would have been a perfect triangle: Hikaru / Misa / Gloval :)

**evil laughter** i love Misa but she has her daddy issues.

sorry but Delta OTP = Messer x Keith, hahahahahahah...

So, ummmm...

Messer x Focker OTP?

You mean after they've met in the afterlife? Not even sure death would stop Roy from being a ladies man.

Reina gets "perv of the night" award due to comment about matching underwear. Never thought I'd see an Eddie Murphy reference in Macross...

So, ummmm...

Messer x Focker OTP?

hahahah, actually...

Messer x Roy x Guld OTP... the obsession with geometrics in Macross even in infinity & beyondddd~~~

also, i believe Roy is very capable of driving on BOTH sides of the street ;)

Let's look at those triangles and see which ones would work and which wouldn't shall we?

I don't think Macross really had the many love triangles.

Hikar & Misa & Minmay: Was the first love triangle. It actually was a triangle. There were points were the love was just one sided but towards the end it became an actual triangle. Even then Hikaru picking Misa over Minmay was more symbolic of his growth from boy to man.

Hibiki & Ishtar & Silvie: You forgot Feff! That was a love Quad. There was affection between characters but I don't think Macross II had a love triangle. Feff had to be in love with Isthar to devote so much effort to rescuing her.

Isamu & Guld & Myung: The most intense love triangle. Should we include Sharon and Lucy in that too?

Basara & Mylene & Gamlin: I don't know if Basara counts. Gamlin had something for Mylene. Mylene wasn't looking for anything but found herself having feelings for both of them over time. I don't recall it being shown as romantic feelings. Was their a big dramatic kiss in the end?

Shin & Sara & Mao: Shin and Sara was love. Mao was jealous kid with a crush.

Alto & Sheryl & Ranka: Does this even count? Sheryl and Ranka both had something for Alto but he seemed more interested in moping around.

Hayate & Mirage & Freyja: He and Mirage have a friendly connection going on and Freyja got a serious crush. Hayate doesn't seem that interested in a relationsip. He's like Alto. Ever since Macross 7 and Basara the male lead seems to be more concerned with his own feelings about his life's purpose than his dating life.

I don't think Macross really had the many love triangles.

Hikar & Misa & Minmay: Was the first love triangle. It actually was a triangle. There were points were the love was just one sided but towards the end it became an actual triangle. Even then Hikaru picking Misa over Minmay was more symbolic of his growth from boy to man.

Hibiki & Ishtar & Silvie: You forgot Feff! That was a love Quad. There was affection between characters but I don't think Macross II had a love triangle. Feff had to be in love with Isthar to devote so much effort to rescuing her.

Isamu & Guld & Myung: The most intense love triangle. Should we include Sharon and Lucy in that too?

Basara & Mylene & Gamlin: I don't know if Basara counts. Gamlin had something for Mylene. Mylene wasn't looking for anything but found herself having feelings for both of them over time. I don't recall it being shown as romantic feelings. Was their a big dramatic kiss in the end?

Shin & Sara & Mao: Shin and Sara was love. Mao was jealous kid with a crush.

Alto & Sheryl & Ranka: Does this even count? Sheryl and Ranka both had something for Alto but he seemed more interested in moping around.

Hayate & Mirage & Freyja: He and Mirage have a friendly connection going on and Freyja got a serious crush. Hayate doesn't seem that interested in a relationsip. He's like Alto. Ever since Macross 7 and Basara the male lead seems to be more concerned with his own feelings about his life's purpose than his dating life.

*waves this off* Okay, okay.... So when I say "love triangle" I mean 3 people with with their own romantic emotions towards one of the others. :D

Speaking of Space Elves: Klan/Mirage...

Klan is 8 years older, still hot, and the one man in her life is dead (series-verse). And she's a badass pilot. "Teach a Jenius a few tricks? YESS!"

Klan is 8 years older, still hot, and the one man in her life is dead (series-verse). And she's a badass pilot. "Teach a Jenius a few tricks? YESS!"

stop it. I'm super conflicted now. :unsure:

I honestly can't see Hayate with anyone but Mirage. Sorry Freyja. I like you but you and HayaHaya just don't seem to fit.

Was this the first shot of the mandatory shipping war?

Ah whatever #TeamMakiReina #TeamSherriRan

On a different note: I saw death flags over Messer and Mikumo from the first episodes. Messer is gone. I wonder if Mikumo will be gone too, but we do have to learn what she is, either before or immediately after she folds. (And if she does she will probably rival Messer in "going out with a bang", a standard set, I think, by Kinryu and Guld).

Edited by Saruta

If they axe one of the singing characters it might hurt our real world record sales. Not saying they are all immune from death but chances are they'll all be safe until the last couple episodes.

"stop it. I'm super conflicted now. :unsure:"

There's no conflict there,. Just ultimate level WIN!!

Between Hibiki/Ishtar/Silvie, I didn't see any romance between Hibiki and Silvie until like the last episode. Then it just seemed to come out of nowhere. Although, granted, it has been years since I've seen it and I may be forgetting some nuances.

The one thing I don't like in romantic triangles, is that one of the women I like always ends up losing, pretty much because I like them all!

Well, except for Minmay! She deserved Kyle! And Misa... Well, MisaForever!

In Macross Plus, didn't Guld try to rape Myung?! Maybe why I never finished that one...

For Macross Frontier, I'm always in favor of Ranka getting Alto, even though in the series it ended without a clear decision - although Alto and Sheryl did do the horizontal twist. I know the movie had them declaring their love - just before Alto disappeared into the aether. Hated that ending. Much prefer the series than the movie.

Although seeing all those Quarters kicking ass was awesome!

Edited by Thom

In Macross Plus, didn't Guld try to rape Myung?! Maybe why I never finished that one...

Do finish that one. Basically, this was the suspicion, but the true story is revealed towards the end.

Do finish that one. Basically, this was the suspicion, but the true story is revealed towards the end.

Er... well, that's not entirely accurate... but Saruta is right about one thing... finish Macross Plus, because it is one of the best Macross stories hands down.

If the attempted rape thing worries you... well without spoiling too much there was an assault in the past, but there is a disconnect with what was happening, who did what, why it happened, and what certain people remember. I'm not going to say it turns out clean and cheery, and they the whole story is somewhat about the ramifications of that, and in the end it feels complete.

Plus the final fight sequences are just amazing. I'd recommend watching the movie version, it is more concise and feels somehow better told, though it is only available subbed (but Macross fans should be used to that). Macross Plus OVA does have that rare advantage of having a dub (and a pretty decent one at that.. I mean.. Bryan Cranston plays Isamu.... as in Walter White's Bryan Cranston...).

Edited by Master Dex

"stop it. I'm super conflicted now. :unsure:"

There's no conflict there,. Just ultimate level WIN!!

But Michael and Klan was true love. And I refuse to acknowledge his death. In my head canon he survived and they lived happily ever after, the end.

But Michael and Klan was true love. And I refuse to acknowledge his death. In my head canon he survived and they lived happily ever after, the end.

So the Movie version basically.

if it was up to me he would have shown up macronized in a blue Q-rea a la max in DYRL?

I was never a big fan of that move honestly... however it would be a bit more suitable for Michael because then he and Klan are the proper relative sizes and physical ages, heh.