He appears to have two "C" shaped plates, one on each side towards the back of his skull. Which actually makes me wonder: are Zentradi with prosthetics able to macronize/micronize? Presumably, the cloning process they use to switch body types isn't able to replicate non-organic components (hence why they're always naked when they do it), so did he get his implants after being made small? And does that mean he can't be made big again?

I think it's more important to list the best couple so far, MakiMaki x ReiRei for that yuri goodness.

I also appreciate that the show is portraying them as a "couple," albeit not overtly. That is so much better than the shy and possibly closeted lesbian and the oblivious "best friend" that we got with Nanase and Ranka.

Onto the Walkure side of things, I've noticed that, for all her criticism, Mikumo seems to act quite "big sisterly" (for lack of a better term) towards Freyja on stage. Aside from acting quite protective of her when the missiles start coming in, later on when Freyja reacts to Hayate saving them, she has this tender smile on her face.

It really brings up a nice comparison in regards to Messer who may actually be her foil somewhat. Despite both being antagonistic towards their juniors, Mikumo at least acknowledges Freyja's potential and is subtly trying to bring it out by challenging her. Messer on the other hands doesn't seem to give a damn about Hayate. Of course, how Freyja and Hayate respond to these seem to have a nice contrast as well, Hayate straight up rises to the challenge on his own, while Freyja on the other hand, seems to stumble and suffer from some self doubt at first - this despite having a mentor who believe much more in her.

EDIT: As for Messer x Kaname shipping, more than a few people on the net have noted that Messer gets weird anytime Kaname is nice to him. Additionally, that's usually shown in the context of Arad being present. Also, in episode 6, the camera cuts into a very subtle frown on Messer's face as he's walking away from Kaname and Arad.

Edited by d3v

But during their conversation, didn't Messer say to Arad that the reason he was giving the rest of Delta Platoon a tough time was because he didn't want to see them die? So it seems Messer may have a soft heart after all. I guess the same can be said with Mikumo, giving tough love to Freyja in order to toughen her up.

Yeah, I retract most of my complaints about Messer being a jerk.

He may be overdoing it, and too stiff for anyone around him to realize it, but he does actually care. And with them going to war, Messer's soldierly guidance is, honestly, what Delta squadron needs most.

awww, i am one percent again? like with Messer, i am loving Mikumo cause she's almost a total b*tch & all.

then again, i love the b*tchy ones... i fangirled Sheryl on first sight <3

i hate cutesy but Makina's onomatopoeia speech pattern is growing on me :)

Well, Mikumo for goddess (self-proclaimed, too? well goddess anyway), but Makina for waifu.

Edited by Saruta

What about #teamHayateScarfish?

But wait, then Freyja and Mirage would be left to... each other?

The "yuri option in main triangle" worked fine in Frontier (especially in the movies, where Sheryl and Ranka seem to care for each other more than for that kabuki guy) but here, the two girls don't even bother to exchange many words. Also, funnily the Frontier triangle symbol was equilateral, the Delta one isn't?

Edited by Saruta

I can't get into Mikumo until the show gives us more info about what her deal is. She's a superhuman diva who talks into her hands and likes naked moonlight strolls. I feel like that's most of what we've gotten so far. The "mysterious" angle is already getting old - give me a reason to care about what I don't know.

I also appreciate that the show is portraying them as a "couple," albeit not overtly. That is so much better than the shy and possibly closeted lesbian and the oblivious "best friend" that we got with Nanase and Ranka.

Or, for that matter, the over-the-top caricature that was Bobby Margot. Except when he was piloting the Quarter - then he was full-on badass.

Or, for that matter, the over-the-top caricature that was Bobby Margot. Except when he was piloting the Quarter - then he was full-on badass.

Yeah, Bobby's portrayal was often cringe-inducing, but at the same time none of the other characters ever disrespected him. And, yeah, 100% badass pilot.

What I'd really like to see is another character like Canaria. Doctor, working mother, and pilot of the baddest mech in the whole show. On top of which, she appeared to be of African descent but wasn't caricatured (although Macross has a better record than most anime in that regard), she was married and her husband did most of the childcare, and her portrayal was never overtly sexualized. Canaria seemed to me as if the creators identified all of the worst things in anime and made one character to be their opposite. Pity she didn't get more screen time.

Edited by Nekko Basara

Yeah, I retract most of my complaints about Messer being a jerk.

He may be overdoing it, and too stiff for anyone around him to realize it, but he does actually care. And with them going to war, Messer's soldierly guidance is, honestly, what Delta squadron needs most.

A bit of a re-post on my part, but it's gotta be done... :)

Episode 6, Messer to Hayate: "You're not even worth talking to." :angry:

It's comments like this make me loathe Messer even more, especially considering he can't/won't admit to his own problems when asked directly. He's clearly affected by Heinz's song. He didn't share that information with the rest of the team or Major Arad during their one on one.

I'm even more convinced Messer's pride is going to lead to tragedy at some point in the series, and unfortunately I think Arad is going to be the casualty. I do hope I'm wrong though, as Arad is my favorite Delta member (calm, cool, collected, thoughtful, level-headed and...Kaname).

No doubt Hayate, Mirage, and Freyja still need guidance, which they're clearly up for...but they deserve better than Messer/Mikumo.

Edited by RDX17

Reina and Makina are described as being like sisters and in Asian cultures skinship is a thing, no homo really. Also gay japanese guys like being flamboyant. What you see as a caricature is par the course in Japan because they are making a statement. I mean Vash and Bobby are typical in the context of Japan.

Reina and Makina are described as being like sisters and in Asian cultures skinship is a thing, no homo really. Also gay japanese guys like being flamboyant. What you see as a caricature is par the course in Japan because they are making a statement. I mean Vash and Bobby are typical in the context of Japan.

Like, or are kind of shoehorned into the stereotype? (It's the latter)

Just like the flamboyant stereotype in the US was used until pretty recently. They certainly do exist but the character type exists as a caricature in fiction. About the only advantage to being gay in japan is that people are less likely to be vocal with homophobia...

Edited by Rbstr

Also gay japanese guys like being flamboyant. What you see as a caricature is par the course in Japan because they are making a statement. I mean Vash and Bobby are typical in the context of Japan.

Are you talking about Mash from Macross II? I was never a big Trigun fan, but that's not how I remember Vash.

Reina and Makina are described as being like sisters and in Asian cultures skinship is a thing, no homo really.

Stop trying to ruin something beautiful. totes homo.

Edited by anime52k8

A bit of a re-post on my part, but it's gotta be done... :)

Episode 6, Messer to Hayate: "You're not even worth talking to." :angry:

It's comments like this make me loathe Messer even more, especially considering he can't/won't admit to his own problems when asked directly. He's clearly affected by Heinz's song. He didn't share that information with the rest of the team or Major Arad during their one on one.

I'm even more convinced Messer's pride is going to lead to tragedy at some point in the series, and unfortunately I think Arad is going to be the casualty. I do hope I'm wrong though, as Arad is my favorite Delta member (calm, cool, collected, thoughtful, level-headed and...Kaname).

No doubt Hayate, Mirage, and Freyja still need guidance, which they're clearly up for...but they deserve better than Messer/Mikumo.

Until recently, I'd definitely agree. But I think Messer is EXACTLY what Hayate needs.

I thought he was being a dick to try and force Hayate to quit, and just misreading the kid greatly.

But no, he's pushing Hayate's buttons in EXACTLY the right way to enkindle a burning desire to get better in him.

The dickface stunt while he was celebrating at the end of his duel with Mirage? Got him to stop slacking and start attending classes. He learned how to fight, and it has already saved his life. No amount of reasonable discussion or threat of discipline would work, it just made him more stubborn. But Messer got through to him. He looked like a villainous caricature while doing it, but it worked.

He is pissing Hayate off, and Hayate's slacker streak is being overwhelmed by his pigheadedness. He desperately wants to wipe that cold condescending glare off Messer's face, and he'll do whatever it takes to do it. He'll even learn how to fight if it means he can show up Messer. He'll learn what he needs from whoever will teach him, all so he can rub Messer's face in the dirt.

Exaggerating a bit, as Hayate's actually shown a bit of respect and admiration for Messer, but... the fact remains that Messer's "I'm not talking to you, except when I surprise-attack you" routine has genuinely had a large positive effect on Hayate. He may not be a great teacher, but he's doing an EXCELLENT job at making sure Hayate learns what he needs.

Mikumo and Freyja are similar, though we've seen less of their training. Freyja coming at this half-heartedly and needs something to galvanize her will, make her take things seriously. Mikumo is that something.

Really, for all the crap Freyja gave Hayate about his slacker ways, she isn't any better. She's more active, but lacks the dedication to make things work. The two are every bit as alike as that scene in episode six made them look.

One thing about KumoKumo though she seems to have zeroed in on Freyja's main problem, that now that she's part of Walkure, she doesn't really know what to do next, as well as what it means to be part of Walkure.

We probably won't know about MakiReina for sure until some time later, but I do hope it is vlarified within the series (or at least by a Kawamori quip).

And I do agree about both Messer and Mikumo doing exactly what Hayate and Freyja need to get going.

Also, "Messer" is very much a reference to Focker to anyone mildly familiar with WW2, so I wonder if Messer is going to die... or to repeat Ozma's feat of being a Focker reference and surviving.

Edited by Saruta

In episode 3 Messer seemed to be susceptible to the Var Syndrome, brought about by Heinz' song. He also warned Mirage and Hayate that if they were facing a seasoned veteran they would already be dead in previous combat. He knows that if he falls under the influence of Var, the two will not have a chance against him. Is he training them for the inevitable?

Mikumo and Freyja are similar, though we've seen less of their training. Freyja coming at this half-heartedly and needs something to galvanize her will, make her take things seriously. Mikumo is that something.

Really, for all the crap Freyja gave Hayate about his slacker ways, she isn't any better. She's more active, but lacks the dedication to make things work. The two are every bit as alike as that scene in episode six made them look.

I agree about Messer. It's exactly like he said to Arad, he's a hard ass because he doesn't want them to get killed. But I think that's just his style, rather than something really calculated to hit for maximum effect.

But I disagree about Freyja. She's plenty dedicated. But she is clearly shaken by fighting against Windermere and accusations of being a traitor or spy. She needs confidence.

One would think Mirage's discipline would rub off more toward Hayate than Messer's. Maybe it's Messer's lack of response to Hayate which is driving Hayahaya more.

With Freyja, I agree with now that she's in the group, what's her reason for staying? That what Mikumo is helping her with.

He may not be a great teacher, but he's doing an EXCELLENT job at making sure Hayate learns what he needs.

Excellent point! I do appreciate Messer's role with Delta (he's the ace after all), and definitely agree that Hayate needs to get it together, but I'm worried about how Messer's decisions are going to affect the team down the road.

I agree about Messer. It's exactly like he said to Arad, he's a hard ass because he doesn't want them to get killed. But I think that's just his style, rather than something really calculated to hit for maximum effect.

But I disagree about Freyja. She's plenty dedicated. But she is clearly shaken by fighting against Windermere and accusations of being a traitor or spy. She needs confidence.

Right on, I see that. Thanks!

I think Messer may not be precisely calculating everything, but he's definitely accounting for Hayate's personality. Look at last time.

"Chuck. Watch it with that scissor move."

"Mirage. Aim to kill, you aren't good enough for trick shooting yet."

"Hayate. Nope, you ain't gettin' crap. Your very existence disgusts me. Go bug Chuck or something if you want some hints."

Everyone gets a brusque treatment, but only Hayate gets contemptuous scorn.

At this point, I genuinely think that is why he was in the air after Hayate's "final exam". He thought it was likely Hayate would pass, and that "besting" Mirage would go straight to Hayate's head. So he dropped in to give him a dose of reality/be a giant dick, and deflate Hayate's massive ego.

Freyja... she isn't EXACTLY like Hayate, but they've shown she has a certain lack of focus. She isn't learning the moves right(look at her entrance on her first concert), and her heart isn't in the singing/spiritia levels aren't rising, and her mind tends to wander.

She pulls it together in a pinch, and compensates with a huge amount of innate talent(at least on the spiritia thing, which is what matters), but she lacks the focus needed to be genuinely good.

And ultimately, both of them are depending on the other too much. Freyja sings better when she can see Hayate flying, Hayate flies better when he has Freyja's song( energy).

In episode 3 Messer seemed to be susceptible to the Var Syndrome, brought about by Heinz' song. He also warned Mirage and Hayate that if they were facing a seasoned veteran they would already be dead in previous combat. He knows that if he falls under the influence of Var, the two will not have a chance against him. Is he training them for the inevitable?

Here's what I want to see when Messer goes var(which I consider a given).

Mirage and Hayate tag-team Messer, and working together, they take him him down. Non-lethally, thereby demonstrating they have learned the skills to do so when fighting a seasoned badass.

I don't think he is preparing them to fight him, but preparing them to fight OTHER awesome pilots will also prepare them to fight him.

Edited by JB0

I used to think that Mikumo just kept saying those things to Freyja so she'd be on edge and end up tripping some more because she secretly has a thing for Dojikko girls and thinks that it would be a wonderful addition to the group. :lol:

EDIT:

I think Hayate's already moving past the "needs to hear Freyja sing to fly" phase.

Edited by d3v