Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

god hands are really nice but i would never buy another one. it combines nipper movement with a very sharp single action blade but the problem is it dulls pretty fast and even by the 5th model kit they feel dull.

After mine dies I will go back to my trusty tamiyas and precision pen knife. being able to cheaply replace a snapped or dull blade is huge.

Edited by Duymon

For non moving parts, what is the best glue to keep these things in place? For example the small plastic part for the frontal cockpit doesnt like to stay in, and I would like to.

Any recommendations? I have a 31J and then a GiMIX (i believe, this one needs a lot of glue lel) my girlfriend got for me but were both clueless on the best craft glue for these plastic models

I normally use Tamiya Extra-thin cement for all my models, It's very fast but also can destroy models if you spill it or use too much.

If you're just getting into models I would suggest model masters liquid cement

82219_R.jpg

It's much more forgiving than tamiya extra-thin and has a longer work-time. The applicator is very small and allows you to put only small amounts of cement which prevents over-gluing. I would seriously tape the metal cleaning rod to the glue bottle so you never lose it because you'll need to use it  a lot if you forget to cap your glue after a long session.

For Clear Parts, I would suggest using just white glue as it dries clear. NEVER use super glue on clear parts as the cyano acrylate can cause frosting on the canopy as it cures. However, if you don't mind paying a little more testors clear parts glue works pretty well

glue1.JPG

40 minutes ago, zaino said:

For non moving parts, what is the best glue to keep these things in place? For example the small plastic part for the frontal cockpit doesnt like to stay in, and I would like to.

Any recommendations? I have a 31J and then a GiMIX (i believe, this one needs a lot of glue lel) my girlfriend got for me but were both clueless on the best craft glue for these plastic models

Dont use Cement on the GiMix, just CA

Cements like Tamiya will rip up the painted finish instantly.

When you glue in the pilots butt to the seat leave it for a day before clicking in the canopy to avoid fogging. No glue needed on the canopy.

Edited by NZEOD

Hey everyone.

If anyone of you here have the 1/72 Draken in Gerwalk mode, can I request a photo of it without the wings being rotated 2-levels as it should be but lay flat like traditional Valk Gerwalk in top shot, back shot, and front angled just to get the whole idea how it's going to look. If anyone did this already or if you guys already seen photos online can you paste the link here.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. :) 

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey everyone.

If anyone of you here have the 1/72 Draken in Gerwalk mode, can I request a photo of it without the wings being rotated 2-levels as it should be but lay flat like traditional Valk Gerwalk in top shot, back shot, and front angled just to get the whole idea how it's going to look. If anyone did this already or if you guys already seen photos online can you paste the link here.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. :) 

I'll be glad to do that! Yes, IMHO, the sv-262 looks great without the "wings rotated 180 degrees" :-)

PS: I did not do any panel-lining, painting or decaling yet. I hope that's fine with you :-)

IMG_20170111_151114.jpg

IMG_20170112_195041.jpg

IMG_20170112_195050.jpg

IMG_20170112_195100.jpg

IMG_20170112_195111.jpg

IMG_20170112_195123.jpg

IMG_20170112_195135.jpg

IMG_20170112_195206.jpg

IMG_20170112_195231.jpg

IMG_20170112_195253.jpg

IMG_20170112_220156.jpg

IMG_20170112_220210.jpg

IMG_20170112_220332.jpg

IMG_20170112_222615.jpg

IMG_20170112_222756.jpg

IMG_20170112_221232.jpg

IMG_20170112_221143.jpg

IMG_20170112_221206.jpg

IMG_20170112_221252.jpg

IMG_20170112_221321.jpg

IMG_20170112_221335.jpg

IMG_20170112_221406.jpg

IMG_20170112_225048.jpg

IMG_20170112_225136#1.jpg

IMG_20170112_225035.jpg

Edited by Skypoet

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

That's a weird looking Sv-262...

That's homemade kombucha. Organic sencha tea, organic sugar for the initial fermentation, beer yeast and strawberry nectar added for the second fermentation... I'm very proud of the thick foam :lol:

Edited by Skypoet

5 hours ago, Skypoet said:

I'll be glad to do that! Yes, IMHO, the sv-262 looks great without the "wings rotated 180 degrees" :-)

PS: I did not do any panel-lining, painting or decaling yet. I hope that's fine with you :-)

IMG_20170112_221252.jpg

IMG_20170112_225136#1.jpg

GOAL!!! ^_^

Thanks Skypoet! I have to admit I kinda like this wing instead of the rotated one. Looks menacing.

How I wish the DX Version can balance like the Soccer pose you did. ;)

Kind of tempted now to buy draken and build it fixed gerwalk mode. One of the reason why I jumped on the DX toy on the 25 is due to kit in-ability to do the A-Stance.

The lil draken looks different when compared to what you saw on the show. The bulk that the missile pack adds looks good though.

1 hour ago, chyll2 said:

Kind of tempted now to buy draken and build it fixed gerwalk mode. One of the reason why I jumped on the DX toy on the 25 is due to kit in-ability to do the A-Stance.

The lil draken looks different when compared to what you saw on the show. The bulk that the missile pack adds looks good though.

You won't need to modify anything to "make" it solid in gerwalk. Compared with all the other valks from bandai in 1/72, plamo, this guy is an absolute brick (super solid) in all 3 modes. That's the advantage of a simple design, as well as of the addition of locking tabs. It is super rugged. Only issue: the little Drakens are absolutely too heavy for the wings in Gerwalk mode, but will be perfectly bearablefor the wings in Battroid and Fighter modes (because of the locking tabs for that mode)! And the ankle joints somewhat lack mobility, even though they do have some. I am thinking of a simple mod in that area... But A-stances are already very achievable as you could see!

Wow, that looks cool with the wings back. I thought those were attached to the cannon mount and that forced them to flip.

It's looks like a really angry crow. With a gun.

Think I'm gonna have to get the space pope version when it comes out. Although, thinking of it now, a shark mouth or beak motif would work very well on the 262Hs...

Edited by Kelsain

15 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

GOAL!!! ^_^

Thanks Skypoet! I have to admit I kinda like this wing instead of the rotated one. Looks menacing.

How I wish the DX Version can balance like the Soccer pose you did. ;)

Do get a plamo Xformable Sv-262. Pure valk bliss, I promise!

Meh... *rumble rumble get ready for the sourpuss again*

It's fine, I guess. This one doesn't hold together nearly as well as the VF-31, because the transformation demands much more precision. That complicated area around the intakes is particularly cumbersome, with I think four swiveling joints within the same cubic cm all needing to align in just the right way for transformations to work out nicely.

The aforementioned intakes don't come together nicely for the battroid mode; there's always a major gap splitting the chest right down the middle, and even though I expected as much beforehand, it was still disappointing.

Fighter mode suffers the most: the arms/shoulders/tailfin make for a gap-filled fuselage; it's impossible to get the wing root pegs to clamp into the legs; and no matter what I tried, I could never get the feet/engine exhaust nozzles to lock together, even before things became naturally misaligned from the transformation.

Gerwalk mode is definitely where this kit shines. None of the above issues exist in Gerwalk mode (unless you for whatever reason want to display it with its arms stowed away), and it's easily the most aesthetically-pleasing of the three modes anyway.

Oh, and the hands are still terrible. Y'know, because I need to.

Now I just have to finish test-fitting the Hasegawa version for comparison.

7 hours ago, Kelsain said:

Wow, that looks cool with the wings back. I thought those were attached to the cannon mount and that forced them to flip.

It's looks like a really angry crow. With a gun.

Think I'm gonna have to get the space pope version when it comes out. Although, thinking of it now, a shark mouth or beak motif would work very well on the 262Hs...

I wouldn't agree on that because once those Space Pope transformed to Battroid they're going to have mouths on their forehead. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Skypoet said:

Do get a plamo Xformable Sv-262. Pure valk bliss, I promise!

No worries sir. I already have a DX Keith on preorder. ^_^

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Meh... *rumble rumble get ready for the sourpuss again*

It's fine, I guess. This one doesn't hold together nearly as well as the VF-31, because the transformation demands much more precision. That complicated area around the intakes is particularly cumbersome, with I think four swiveling joints within the same cubic cm all needing to align in just the right way for transformations to work out nicely.

The aforementioned intakes don't come together nicely for the battroid mode; there's always a major gap splitting the chest right down the middle, and even though I expected as much beforehand, it was still disappointing.

Fighter mode suffers the most: the arms/shoulders/tailfin make for a gap-filled fuselage; it's impossible to get the wing root pegs to clamp into the legs; and no matter what I tried, I could never get the feet/engine exhaust nozzles to lock together, even before things became naturally misaligned from the transformation.

Gerwalk mode is definitely where this kit shines. None of the above issues exist in Gerwalk mode (unless you for whatever reason want to display it with its arms stowed away), and it's easily the most aesthetically-pleasing of the three modes anyway.

Oh, and the hands are still terrible. Y'know, because I need to.

Now I just have to finish test-fitting the Hasegawa version for comparison.

You are right regarding the cumbersomeness of the chest pieces. However, my sv-262 must have been blessed by Pope Francis (or yours cursed by Kim Jong Un) because my wing tabs do lock in the legs perfectly... or maybe you could try using a hammer? Could you do me a favor and compare the Hasegawa vs Bandai weight-wise? The weight/$ ratio must be significantly different for the two kits!

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I wouldn't agree on that because once those Space Pope transformed to Battroid they're going to have mouths on their forehead. :lol: 

No worries sir. I already have a DX Keith on preorder. ^_^

God (or Kawamori) bless your wallet!

1 hour ago, Skypoet said:

You are right regarding the cumbersomeness of the chest pieces. However, my sv-262 must have been blessed by Pope Francis (or yours cursed by Kim Jong Un) because my wing tabs do lock in the legs perfectly... or maybe you could try using a hammer? Could you do me a favor and compare the Hasegawa vs Bandai weight-wise? The weight/$ ratio must be significantly different for the two kits!

I dunno about weights of the models themselves, but judging by HLJ's product pages:

The Bandai kit at 4400-5200 JPY ($40-$50), and the box weighs 630g

The Hasegawa kit at 2800-3600 JPY ($25-$30), and the box weighs 380g

The plastic-to-dollar ratio seems about the same for both, with Bandai offering a bit more value. (15.75:$1 vs 15.2:$1) I'll take some quick weight measurements off the runners and get back to you. Bandai's kit has more runners, but also more plastic in the pieces themselves due to thicker pieces and the various snap-fit/articulation features.

As for the wing tabs, I agree that there's something just slightly out of place somewhere; one side is close to locking nicely, while on the other, the leg is extended too far back by about 2mm. I'm not about to mess with it anytime soon, as I'm afraid that I can only make things worse.

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I dunno about weights of the models themselves, but judging by HLJ's product pages:

The Bandai kit at 4400-5200 JPY ($40-$50), and the box weighs 630g

The Hasegawa kit at 2800-3600 JPY ($25-$30), and the box weighs 380g

The plastic-to-dollar ratio seems about the same for both, with Bandai offering a bit more value. (15.75:$1 vs 15.2:$1) I'll take some quick weight measurements off the runners and get back to you. Bandai's kit has more runners, but also more plastic in the pieces themselves due to thicker pieces and the various snap-fit/articulation features.

As for the wing tabs, I agree that there's something just slightly out of place somewhere; one side is close to locking nicely, while on the other, the leg is extended too far back by about 2mm. I'm not about to mess with it anytime soon, as I'm afraid that I can only make things worse.

Strange... I have no issue whatsoever with the wing tabs!

Taking the average price for each kit, I get a JPY/g ratio of 7.61 for the Bandai and 8.42 for the Hasegawa. So yes quite similar after all... but that calculation does not discount the box (cardboard) weight...

On 1/12/2017 at 4:00 PM, Skypoet said:

IMG_20170112_220332.jpg

IMG_20170112_221252.jpg

IMG_20170112_221321.jpg

Awesome! I'd be tempted to leave it in gerwalk mode.  Do you plan to transform it in the future?  How do you think it will hold up?

More importantly, what's all the high level linear algebra stuff it's hovering over, fold equations I hope.

2 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Awesome! I'd be tempted to leave it in gerwalk mode.  Do you plan to transform it in the future?  How do you think it will hold up?

More importantly, what's all the high level linear algebra stuff it's hovering over, fold equations I hope.

Hi!

Yes I'll transform it if you request more pics in Battroid and Fighter modes! I "play" with this guy almost very day, changing it position a little!

By the way I find the anime paint scheme to be a bit overdone, and I might improvise something much more sober...

The equations you see here are theoretical microeconomics, for my thesis in environmental economics (this kind: https://gnunet.org/sites/default/files/Laffont %26 Martimort - The Theory of Incentives.pdf) but I'm also able to handle aerodynamics, flight dynamics, some structural engineering, robotics... from my former degrees! And still do use that knowledge in a limited way when I design my own RC planes. No transformable valkyries for the moment! :lol:

47 minutes ago, MechTech said:

I thought you were making an anti-math statement.  "Stomping out equations like the bad guys they are!":p - MT

Hahaha yeah I think you understood the symbolism behind the picture! I'm working on problems that take 5-10 pages to solve each, so when I'm done with one of them it actually feels like I did stomp onto a bad guy :lol: ... even more so if I'm done with solving a problem late at night :lol:

I'm not anti-math. Not at all. I used to teach math. I'm just very skeptical about neoclassical economics. You can't quantitatively predict anything with them. Unlike the applied science we use in engineering to actually make stuff. I actually used math to predict airplane performances, and the prediction were very accurate. Because the science behind it was accurate! Econ... is no science!

But to quote a great math textbook I used a long time ago: "the student should view each new mathematical problem as an enemy that should be terminated with extreme prejudice, whether he likes math or not"

Edited by Skypoet