Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

Unfortunately the fast pack kit doesn't come with any Hologram pod... a separate release perhaps?

Or does bandai even know how to implement it..since i dont have the 31 kit, does the gun pod seem to be able to be replaced with another pod mechanism-wise?

Or is the hologram pod separate, i recall a discussion whether the gun pod is still attached when the hologram pod is deployed, but i cant remember the conclusion if there was any...

Ok so I've been transforming mine and I really really hate the VF-31 gerwalk leg joint for the A-stance. The deal killer is the ankles don't have enough twist to make the unit look like it's actually standing in A-stance so it looks awkward.

I would have much preferred the same style of joint as the DX VF25's and even the upcoming DX VF-31 where the thighs are more static and the swivel is at the knee. It just looks so much better. I guess maybe it was impossible due to durability concerns?

Edited by Duymon

Yeah, they just don't seem to like trying to add anything to that blocky hinge assembly in the knee.

And actually, judging by the photos, I'm pretty sure the DX VF-31 has both pivot points, so you get some nice leg twisty posability in both battroid and gerwalk.

My biggest gripe with that gerwalk joint though is that unless you glue the entire thing together, frequent use of that joint will probably just leave the hip assembly falling to pieces.

Edited by Chronocidal

Just for kicks, is anyone gonna try swapping back decals around on the 31's?

Ie messers reaper making it into hayate's 31, instead of the knight-ish reaper, or arad's skull decal into chuck's 31.. :lol:

Or....any delta platoon back decals into the SV's! Granted the SV's dont have a flat back as larger as the 31....

Edited by seti88

Just for kicks, is anyone gonna try swapping back decals around on the 31's?

Ie messers reaper making it into hayate's 31, instead of the knight-ish reaper, or arad's skull decal into chuck's 31.. :lol:

Or....any delta platoon back decals into the SV's! Granted the SV's dont have a flat back as larger as the 31....

Well for starters the knight reaper that showed up in the final episode isn't even on the sticker sheet for hayate so that's a no go.

But all the markings can be altered between planes without hassle as you'll have a separate set of stickers for color balance on the planes body.

I completely goofed that on arads vf-31s and never noticed it.

It's one of those things where it should be labeled on the instructions during assembly not hidden away on the back when you're all done. IMO the only stickers that should be left on the back pages are the markings, not the paint striping stickers.

cool to hear that, its gonna be quite fun to see customised 31s! Well m looking forward to see if anyone does that. I dont have much time to model but i would be tempted to try and customise one too inbetween my schedule.

So from what u expereinced, the stripes should be applied during the build phase itself?

So at long last I finished slapping my VF-31J kit together. Been really busy as of late, so I only could work on it a little bit at a time whenever I had a bit of free time. So what could've probably be done in a few days took me well over a month. :wacko:

Overall it felt a little easier to build than the old VF-25 kits, and the parts seem to fit better. I still damaged some stuff through carelessness, like snapping that damned head laser lol

VF-31J%2001_zpsbtyu1s7d.jpg

VF-31J%2002_zpskh2c1of9.jpg

VF-31J%2003_zpsuwe8u7jo.jpg

VF-31J%2004_zpsq3hl3m3x.jpg

VF-31J%2005_zps2omhafrg.jpg

VF-31J%2006_zpsitylvz6m.jpg

VF-31J%2007_zps76k5bfll.jpg

And some size comparisons. With the 1/72 VF-25F:

VF-31J%2008_zpsjxlxvuaf.jpg

With the 1/72 VF-27:

VF-31J%2009_zpse6rvyimx.jpg

With the DX VF-25F:

VF-31J%2010_zpsp5bdqip6.jpg

And with the 1/100 YF-29 :rolleyes:

VF-31J%2011_zpsfhvbony5.jpg

No way, I don't have the skill to paint all that! lol

Didn't do anything special, really. Cut carefully and sand everything down (god I hate sanding!). It was mainly just snapped together out of the box. Stickers for the huge colored areas, decals for all the insignias and small markings. Wash + mechanical pencil for the panels. A few areas were painted because it's not quite possible to mold or decal every single thing in the right color. And a semi-gloss clear coat to give the whole thing an even finish thoughout. :)

The upper stabilizers needed to be glued into the main fuselage, because that snap-together joint simply will not hold together.

I don't plan putting nearly as much effort into Keith's 262. But no more stickers! I had a way harder time dealing with the stickers than I would've had with any decals. Decals are sooooo much easier once you're used to them! :)

I'll transform it to battroid as soon as I figure out what color I'm supposed to paint the inside of that opening sensor thingy in the weapons container...

Edited by Lolicon

Hm, I wonder if I did something wrong on the assembly of my kit. It all fits together nicely, but the nose looks popped up in the air a lot more.

Maybe it's just that the markings create an optical illusion to disguise it a bit? My kit's still completely plain plastic, so I wonder if that's the trick to it. The fuselage just looks bent upwards in the profile view on mine.

No way, I don't have the skill to paint all that! lol

Didn't do anything special, really. Cut carefully and sand everything down (god I hate sanding!). It was mainly just snapped together out of the box. Stickers for the huge colored areas, decals for all the insignias and small markings. Wash + mechanical pencil for the panels. A few areas were painted because it's not quite possible to mold or decal every single thing in the right color. And a semi-gloss clear coat to give the whole thing an even finish thoughout. :)

The upper stabilizers needed to be glued into the main fuselage, because that snap-together joint simply will not hold together.

I don't plan putting nearly as much effort into Keith's 262. But no more stickers! I had a way harder time dealing with the stickers than I would've had with any decals. Decals are sooooo much easier once you're used to them! :)

I'll transform it to battroid as soon as I figure out what color I'm supposed to paint the inside of that opening sensor thingy in the weapons container...

Looks fantastic. I'm sold.

Which brand clear coat did you use, and what were your steps: Spray piece by piece or after finishing the whole thing?

I always get coat on the joints and they never fit well together again.

Looks fantastic. I'm sold.

Which brand clear coat did you use, and what were your steps: Spray piece by piece or after finishing the whole thing?

I always get coat on the joints and they never fit well together again.

Mr Topcoat. I usually use lacquer but since I used stickers for the big stuff, I didn't need the extra protection. I just wanted a uniform finish throughout.

I applied the topcoat on entire sections at a time. Like the entire front fuselage, body, wings, arms, legs, hands, etc.

Like this would be coated all at one time:

31J%20front%20fuselage_zpspurkryku.jpg