Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

so, well into building one of these; I am not painting but prefer to use decals vs stickers - anyone have experience using decals on bare plastic? Bad idea? My thought is to clear gloss first then decal then another coat over that but it will really slow the build down and I am a little worried how the clear will affect the transforming/moving sections :)

so, well into building one of these; I am not painting but prefer to use decals vs stickers - anyone have experience using decals on bare plastic? Bad idea? My thought is to clear gloss first then decal then another coat over that but it will really slow the build down and I am a little worried how the clear will affect the transforming/moving sections :)

Don't know if they've done anything about it on the new decal sheets, but the ones for the VF-25s sucked royally, and would chip off in large chunks at the slightest provocation. I'd suggest at least trying the stickers - use the "dip them in water" trick that was posted about earlier to make them go on smoother, and then rub them down with a Q-tip to make them fit. The stickers at least won't flake off the moment you transform the kit...

Don't know if they've done anything about it on the new decal sheets, but the ones for the VF-25s sucked royally, and would chip off in large chunks at the slightest provocation. I'd suggest at least trying the stickers - use the "dip them in water" trick that was posted about earlier to make them go on smoother, and then rub them down with a Q-tip to make them fit. The stickers at least won't flake off the moment you transform the kit...

Dip them in water trick??

Dip them in water trick??

Awesome! So from what I understand, the way to go is to:

- use the stickers not decals (poor quality unless maybe we use a decal solvent)

- use the dip-in-water trick

- apply top coat

If it's anything like previous Bandai decals, they will lay on bare plastic just fine. However, once the decal is on, I recommend dabbing on decal softener. The decal softener will help melt the decal onto the plastic. Then, when dry, spray on the top coat. Doing this will help prevent the decal from crumbling off.

Edited by Vifam7

This guy did a pretty cool VF-31A custom.

https://twitter.com/mezarlance/status/747763279217340419

The delta wings are a bit off, but that's a sweet look nonetheless. I like how they just popped off the charging pod. Super ghetto, but there's a certain charm to it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the 31A has in the show in lieu of said charging pod?

He simply took a pair of VF-21 wings I believe, and then glued them onto the wing articulation of the 31. The charging pod/gun pod is still there, it was just removed for the fighter pic. But is present in the battroid/gerwalk pics!

The delta wings are a bit off, but that's a sweet look nonetheless. I like how they just popped off the charging pod. Super ghetto, but there's a certain charm to it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the 31A has in the show in lieu of said charging pod?

Whatever they have, it looks identical to the charging pod, at least as we saw them in episode 6. I'll have to go through ep 13 again to see if there was any footage of the -31A in Gerwalk or Battroid (I think those were -31As that Bogue passed as he went for Aether), but I don't remember seeing anything that really stuck out.

Gotta say, it locks together pretty well in Fighter mode, with one exception, the two small white pieces that fit just ahead of the railgun muzzles, they don't lock in place very well. Anybody else having that problem.

Same here, mine like to fall out. Probably made to be loose for easy removal during transformation, but ended up too loose.

Same here, mine like to fall out. Probably made to be loose for easy removal during transformation, but ended up too loose.

Maybe this could b solved with some small magnets... you can order really small magnets from ebay, (2mm Dia * 1mm Th.), 2$ shipped for 5 pairs... I'll try that when I get my kit.

So I started working on the 31 kit and yeah, if you built any of the Frontier kits from Bandai, then this is going to be the same level of ease or headache, depending on how much effort you're willing to put into it.

I was intending to just slap it together straight out of the box with minimal effort, but the thought of stickered head sensors and navigational lights and an untinted canopy was too much for me. :o

post-5703-0-08608700-1467508699_thumb.jpg

So I started working on the 31 kit and yeah, if you built any of the Frontier kits from Bandai, then this is going to be the same level of ease or headache, depending on how much effort you're willing to put into it.

I was intending to just slap it together straight out of the box with minimal effort, but the thought of stickered head sensors and navigational lights and an untinted canopy was too much for me. :o

What did you use to tint the canopy? Just got mines today. Probably gonna start building tomorrow.

Edited by Delta_Kazu

What did you use to tint the canopy? Just got mines today. Probably gonna start building tomorrow.

Some leftover Mr Hobby clear yellow paint I had from way back when I thought I might actually build the RVF-25, but I got the DX instead.

well maybe 1/4 thru build - thoughts so far:

decals - seem to go on OK to bare plastic with some set/sol solution over them, not sure how tough they will be yet. As noted the solid color areas are not very good when viewed up close, in particular the grey bits

clear canopy - given the other color clear parts it woulda been nice to have this cast in clear yellow/orange

clear head visor/crystals - again woulda been real nice if they had used the pink clear plastic for the visor bit at least. I used the sticker and overcoated it with future and it worked out OK but still not super ideal

Fit - with just a little tweaking here and there with a sanding stick so far fit is really good....

I don't have any other 1/72 Macross kits, but I have a handful of other things laying around to compare with.

1/60 Yamato VF-19S

1/60 Arcadia YF-19 and 1/100 Grimgerde (Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans)

1/60 Arcadia UF-19

1/72 HMM Berserk Fuhrer

Apologies for poor lighting, basement room with a single ceiling light and iPhone camera.

post-6967-0-73126700-1467666605_thumb.jpeg

post-6967-0-23892900-1467666620_thumb.jpeg

post-6967-0-20987500-1467666634_thumb.jpeg

post-6967-0-72410900-1467666645_thumb.jpeg

I don't have much in 1/72. It was between a Catalina or a Lighting, and well this one won.;)

Not a bad kit quite easily to built, but the stickers holy crap.

post-7418-0-65797800-1467679844_thumb.jpeg

Edited by hal9000

Yeah the super packs look really nice on the 31 battroid. Hope those legs will have the tightness (which i dont thk so since its a kit) to hold up with the boosters mounted on the wings on back tho. A stand would probably help the super siegfried a lot.

Edited by seti88

All that blue scares me, is it all going to be stickers like on the separate VF-25 super parts? Or are the parts going to be molded in blue so you have to paint them to get any of the other units?

Edit: Oh wow, confirmation that those really *are* missile launchers on top of the fuselage, missed that at first. Also, no speaker pod system.

Edited by SebastianP

Hmm, should I stock the Super Parts for the Hase fighter?...

hehe a bit of DX paranoia? if only the 1/72 pieces were a lil bigger say 1/60... ^_^

nice idea to fit any upcoming hase 31 kits tho am not sure of the fit...plus hase would "probably?" also release fighter with supers down the road..

Edited by seti88

hehe a bit of DX paranoia? if only the 1/72 pieces were a lil bigger say 1/60... ^_^

nice idea to fit any upcoming hase 31 kits tho am not sure of the fit...plus hase would "probably?" also release fighter with supers down the road..

They've made super parts for all of the VF kits they've made to date that were supposed to have them except the YF-19, so I wouldn't worry. Also, I'm pretty sure the leg bends on the VF-31 the same as it does on the VF-1 or VF-25. The Hasegawa Super VF-25 kits shipped with a complete pair of extra legs with the bend built in, on top of all the regular parts - the VF-31 will probably require something similar. We won't know until they get around to releasing it.

All that blue scares me, is it all going to be stickers like on the separate VF-25 super parts? Or are the parts going to be molded in blue so you have to paint them to get any of the other units?

Edit: Oh wow, confirmation that those really *are* missile launchers on top of the fuselage, missed that at first. Also, no speaker pod system.

if it is single molded, trust in Bandai to have layers of plastic parts for color separation. But still, they cant over-engineer the overcomplicated schemes the frontier/delta valks has, so if you see too much color on one part, then chances are, most of it will be sticker then.

My quick and dirty build is taking way longer than I expected. Ended up painting the sensors and even the white oval bumps on the head. Photo really shows off how cheaply printed the stickers/decals Bandai includes in their kits are.

As usual I'm just using a mechanical pencil to draw in all the panel lines.

VF-31%20head_zpsip318ull.jpg

Yeah the super packs look really nice on the 31 battroid. Hope those legs will have the tightness (which i dont thk so since its a kit) to hold up with the boosters mounted on the wings on back tho. A stand would probably help the super siegfried a lot.

Not good, I'd say: gorgeaous!

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/attachments/general-playa-del-carmen/12081d1352405843-gorgeous-beach-guy-borat18.jpg

My quick and dirty build is taking way longer than I expected. Ended up painting the sensors and even the white oval bumps on the head. Photo really shows off how cheaply printed the stickers/decals Bandai includes in their kits are.

As usual I'm just using a mechanical pencil to draw in all the panel lines.

VF-31%20head_zpsip318ull.jpg

Do you think that I'd get decent results with gundam markers if I paint the inside of the clear plastic parts (excluding the canopy of course) - I'll try that.

So tempting to buy these. They would look great with everything else 1/72 but I think I'll be putting away my Frontier kits and other 1/72 Valkyries and Destroids to have more display space for HMR.

Anothr nice revie, showing some yet unshowed features: