SDF 1:700

Norman41

Hello guys,

Im totally new here. right now im enjoying watching reading threads to get inspirations from other macross fans. last year i bought 2 3d printers and 1 acrylic cutter machine. which ill be using in my personal project. i have decided to make a sdf 1:750 scale diorama, Not transformable into full robot but a fortress situated in the island with gimmicks of lighting and moving parts. of course showcase of VF. If im missing something or forgot something please do let me know, your constructive criticism is very much welcome.

workflows will be: 3d to 3d printing to assembly. it will be a long process but hopefully push this project as fast i could. it has been a long over due already and should be started last year.

here are the screen shot of 3ds i made. design wise im picking up mixed design from old and recent sdf design so no absolute version im referring.

a4fce4fbf948055f56e9228524b4d0f8.jpg

156b3228df0745da3d78e94bf8bec03a.jpg

545c43ee4f745fedbde0b12274a2e7db.jpg

ince in awhile ill put updates here.hopefully soon.

thank you very much,

Norman

Edited by Roy Focker

Won't this be like the size of a car? That's extreme!

if my math is correct. around 1600mm long for 750 scale. good thing is still in 3d software so i can easly manipulate the scale of the print. my big concern right now is the quality of the 3d print that im hoping it can get the best details.

Welcome aboard!!

That's mighty ambitious and yet extremely awesome, look forward to future updates!! B))

thank you sir for the warmed welcome!!!

yeah just a smidgen over 1.6m but still that is gonna be HUGE!!! if you can actually pull this off its gonna be epic! Lookin forward to progress updates!

just as i want it to be big, i would like to showcase this to my future shop soon. would be a good center piece, and will definitely catch fans to visit my store. thanks man for dropping by.

Welcome Norman! 1.6 meters is large! Maybe a smaller scale printout first to test theory and fit. It may save you a lot of money planning the stages before you realize something is not strong enough or you don't like the detail. Just some ideas. - MT

out of curiosity, why not 1:700 which is a common naval scale?

o good point. 1:700 scale would give me around 1700mm long. i probably shift to that scale as you've mentioned. and upon checking the net i found this website.

http://www.scale-models.nl/scalc.html

That would be an awesome center piece of any sort of room, be it in a shop or at home ;) Good luck with that project, I would be looking !

thanks man. when i finished this project and displayed it to the shop hope you could drop by.

This would be interesting to see just like this one. What type of printer are you using?

i have recently bought the flash forge dreamer. i do have a kudo3d but havent fully utilized it used. by the way great stuff there!!! will check you works for reference.

Edited by Norman41

Welcome Norman! 1.6 meters is large! Maybe a smaller scale printout first to test theory and fit. It may save you a lot of money planning the stages before you realize something is not strong enough or you don't like the detail. Just some ideas. - MT

yup will do as large prints are more like to catch warping. BTW nice Daedalus

1/700 would make it easier to add stock support vehicles & buildings to the scene. Heck, add the nearby harbor and stock it with ships! Good luck with your project!

yup thanks man....i totally agreed with you. right now im convrting the size of my 3d from 750 to 1:700. which gives me around 1700mm long model.

93afe3d8655241fb3e51b6b3d18576b4.jpg

heres a sample print and trying some paint markers for test finish, its not looking good. as the strands of prints looks horrible, right now, thinking of using the 3d prints only for structural framing but for the surfaces im looking for another alternatives. need your expert advice. what kind of thin material i can use for plain surface that is easy to cut but still have enough strength like a board?

Styrene is a good material that is strong and easy to work with.

Have you looked into maybe changing the nozzle of the extruder on the printer?

Thanks man, ill check styrene. im thinking of printing the inner frame then use bristol board for cladding. and would give me option to add more details. only risk is painting the bristol board.

i havent change the extruder, still im using the original one. which is .4nozzle.

I didn't know they had styrene nozzles, but that would TOTALLY be the way to go! ABS doesn't like to be sanded (that's why wmkjr mentioned the solvent bath). But styrene sands great while gluing and painting it is easier too! Then again,a good pattern will add surface detail for realism. - MT

Are you gonna acetone vapor bath the parts to smooth it out if its ABS that you're using?

yup abs it is. not at the moment. i dont have set up for acetone vapor though im thinking cladding the wall so no need to smoothen.

I didn't know they had styrene nozzles, but that would TOTALLY be the way to go! ABS doesn't like to be sanded (that's why wmkjr mentioned the solvent bath). But styrene sands great while gluing and painting it is easier too! Then again,a good pattern will add surface detail for realism. - MT

really ill check styrene for testing before i proceed for the rest. just. dont have time to drop by at the hobby shop yet. thanks man good point.

We live in awesome times.

hehe.....thanks man

Looks impressive already!

thanks dude

This thing looks bigger than 1/750!

it shoud be 1:700 but i cant edit the title....MOD please edit my title

Following this all over!

hehe...thanks mate

Holy $hit that thing is huge.

ow thank you....

Are you keeping track of the cost of filament and other materials?

yes. right now im guessing on my prints, i have used .25kg of filament plus rubbish prints or roughly .30kg. 1kg of filament cost here in singapore and the kind im using is only 38sgd so still cheap. ill purchase some other time a weighing scale so i can put into weight the printed parts and precisely calculate the filament used.