Bandai Macross Δ Mecha Collection Small Scale Plastic Model Kits

IXTL

Just to make sure I'm not mixing things up, there's been confusion in the past over the terminology for "stickers" and "decals."

I've never heard of anyone recommending dipping stickers in water before applying them. Is this something that actually helps Bandai's stickers work better, or is that actually in reference to the decals that you have to cut out yourself?

Edited by Chronocidal

Definitely getting the Elysion...but I'd rather have one that'll look good next to Yamato's SDF-1 or Bandai's Quarter.

Know what I'm saying? EDIT: release date is September

CmEeotRUoAAdrcX.jpg

0227-440x293.jpg

Edited by UN Spacy

Just to make sure I'm not mixing things up, there's been confusion in the past over the terminology for "stickers" and "decals."

I've never heard of anyone recommending dipping stickers in water before applying them. Is this something that actually helps Bandai's stickers work better, or is that actually in reference to the decals that you have to cut out yourself?

Stickers. Not decals.

As I said earlier (this thread or another), the water beads only assist in the placement of the sticker, and must be carefully squeezed (rolled out) when the sticker is properly aligned.

Ref. (most recent that I'm aware of): Hobby Japan No. 565 (Jul. 2016): Pg 019. VF-31J Siegfried Mecha Collection Buildup

Bigger pictures:

banm160921.jpg

banm160922.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to get three or four of these...

The one inaccuracy with the thing that I see is that the carrier decks are flat, rather than folded down like on the anime version. Then again, this is still a 3D-print preview, not the finished model - you can tell from how rough the sides of the central section are.

Also, I'd love a 1/4000 of this and the Battle Frontier from Hasegawa. And the Quarter too. :)

Edited by SebastianP

Stickers. Not decals.

As I said earlier (this thread or another), the water beads only assist in the placement of the sticker, and must be carefully squeezed (rolled out) when the sticker is properly aligned.

Ref. (most recent that I'm aware of): Hobby Japan No. 565 (Jul. 2016): Pg 019. VF-31J Siegfried Mecha Collection Buildup

I tried it - seemed to work OK, actually. I used it on the longer decals on the VF-171 kit. You don't get the amount of slide that you would with a real decal but it definitely gives you some room to play with before you squish it down.

One is for building straight up. One is for experimenting. The third one goes in the stash, waiting for someone to come out with a detail set for it (better turrets and masts etc).

ah i wish i had the experimenting skills...i bet this kit would look real nice with lighting! ;)

ah i wish i had the experimenting skills...i bet this kit would look real nice with lighting! ;)

I don't have any of *those* kinds of experimenting skills myself either, I was mainly thinking of doing alternate paint schemes or trying to make my own turrets etc. Imagine using this as a baseline and then pulling a "Quarter 17" from Sayonara no Tsubasa - the one which had 24 turrets instead of the regular Quarter's 10. Turrets *everywhere*.

Hehe, bought it on ebay for less than USD4 with free shipping.

China brands eh! M gonna try looking for one with a mirror base and use it for the tomytec's to show the details..

Just to add, nice pose arrangement of the valks flying past each other...

btw would this turn table work for a DX or would a DX be too heavy?

China brands eh! M gonna try looking for one with a mirror base and use it for the tomytec's to show the details..

Just to add, nice pose arrangement of the valks flying past each other...

btw would this turn table work for a DX or would a DX be too heavy?

Yup, el-cheapo item.

Heaviest rated weight load is only 300g, so would only be able to support until a 1/72 model kit valk, i guess.

Yup, el-cheapo item.

Heaviest rated weight load is only 300g, so would only be able to support until a 1/72 model kit valk, i guess.

I saw a listing on ebay but looks like they only have gold base color left. It would be nice if i could find a white or silver base at that price.

Would you still have the link?

On HLJ the 1/72 vf-31 is listed at 670 g but thats the whole box. So yea perhaps a 1/72 would do.

Similarly a dx is listed around 800g above for the boxset, so will have to give it a go if i get a turntable...

I saw a listing on ebay but looks like they only have gold base color left. It would be nice if i could find a white or silver base at that price.

Would you still have the link?

On HLJ the 1/72 vf-31 is listed at 670 g but thats the whole box. So yea perhaps a 1/72 would do.

Similarly a dx is listed around 800g above for the boxset, so will have to give it a go if i get a turntable...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191560729973?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=490639839712&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...

However they're available, I won't be making the same mistake as with the Deculture VF-25s. Picking them up as soon and as cheaply as possible, then it's off to the scanner!

Scanner? You plan to make them waterslide decals instead of stickers?

That's the plan, yes. I still have to get in some practice using my stash of VF-171s; hopefully I'll be able to get workable scans of both these itasha stickers and the VF-25 Deculture decals and create my own waterslides out of them.

I know another member here, Rock - the guy doing the recent slick Tornado Messiah WIP - is also trying to do the same. He has more experience at it than I do (his blog has a complete replica of the Hasegawa(?) 25F decals), and a more complete collection of Deculture decals, but lacks the hardware/software to do the rest. If we should be successful, we could feasibly upsize the smaller-scale decals to fit onto the 1/72 kits. Imagine a 1/72 VF-31 with one of those itasha decals on it...

Edited by kajnrig

That's the plan, yes. I still have to get in some practice using my stash of VF-171s; hopefully I'll be able to get workable scans of both these itasha stickers and the VF-25 Deculture decals and create my own waterslides out of them.

I know another member here, Rock - the guy doing the recent slick Tornado Messiah WIP - is also trying to do the same. He has more experience at it than I do (his blog has a complete replica of the Hasegawa(?) 25F decals), and a more complete collection of Deculture decals, but lacks the hardware/software to do the rest. If we should be successful, we could feasibly upsize the smaller-scale decals to fit onto the 1/72 kits. Imagine a 1/72 VF-31 with one of those itasha decals on it...

Wow do keep us updated if you manage to upscale em! Always wanted to make waterslides, but am not sure where to get the waterslide materials..

That would be amazing. If you're able to do it and "mass produce" them I'd be in for a few of those designs.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of masking tape, you can use something like Bare Metal Foil, which lays down pretty well on curved surfaces with a little patience. Cover the whole canopy with a piece of foil, the cut the separations with a sharp pointed hobby knife.

I used this first on the canopy of my Falcon, and have done it successfully with aircraft canopies since then.

4941812143_94a1ce7f7f_z.jpg

that is sheer talent right there folks...all i accomplished when trying to mask clear plastic with stuff and then cut it is scratched clear plastic. If at all possible I always try to pay for pre-cut aftermarket vinyl masks - which is what I did on my 1:144 Falcon and they were worth every penny!

that is sheer talent right there folks...all i accomplished when trying to mask clear plastic with stuff and then cut it is scratched clear plastic. If at all possible I always try to pay for pre-cut aftermarket vinyl masks - which is what I did on my 1:144 Falcon and they were worth every penny!

practice practice practice... eventually you'll figure out the perfect amount of pressure so that you can trim the foil, but not mar the plastic... I suggest practicing on a bit of scrap styrene first!

I ruined a few canopies before I got the hang of it, but now... I almost default to using foil instead of Tamiya tape for masking complex clear bits.