Macross mod for Homeworld Remastered

ShiftZero

Greetings Officers

Below you'll find the last report about Cooper's activity, mainly composed of high-security rated pictures

5a972fc296d09_Capturedcran2018-02-2723_36.35_preview.png.a57fb60199874a947d6a474790c829b6.png

5a972fd40b329_Capturedcran2018-02-2723_37.03_preview.png.54f0dffb08336fb1f7ebbbd6de877d43.png

5a972fe0a9e59_Capturedcran2018-02-2723_37.19_preview.png.5e0ad5597b419568c9f55db294677c51.png

His recent moves suggest that something is under way and we have to investigate further. We'll keep you informed on anything coming back from our undercover agent :help:

Hope you'll enjoy this super magnificent (and I'm totally objective here) VF-0A 'Shin' !!

See you around guys ;)

Edited by ShiftZero

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure Cooper will appreciate your support for his hard work ;)

Let me show you how hard working he is. Below you can see his current tests for the VF-0's afterburner effects (Yes, we know it is not possible in space because there is no air to compress and ignite, but with a map located in atmosphere it would work ^^)

vf-0a4.jpg.261ea9c0a085a394fd36db4bc03798f9.jpg

vf-0a2.jpg.ff6bdd368ee5287b37d72f4fd58297a3.jpg

vf-0a1.jpg.eb10760bcd6f47b103681357f6cde55a.jpg

You may have noticed the dark area just behind the cockpit in screenshots from previous posts, it is a shader related issue (supported by his coating software but not by the game engine) that Cooper should crush soon. He still has some tests to do regarding that matter to find a supported shader for both supports, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

He's also working on the animation sequence for the SV-51, but I will keep my mouth shut about this cute little baby, to keep the surprising effect intact :p

See you around folks and have a nice WE !

Edited by ShiftZero

• 1 month later...

Could you tell what program you are using to create your modeling? In 3D MAX or Maya/

I am now a maker of Macross mode in a game called Stellaris, and I have made most of it alone, leaving only 3D modeling to others. But for 9 months, I was disappointed with his work, and I thought I might need another 3D modeling. So I would like to ask if you can borrow modeling if this mod that made by MAYA.

Edited by Blitzcat

If I remember correctly Cooper is using Blender for modeling, Quixel for normal mapping and 3Dcoat for texturing but you will need his final word on this, there is ton of tools he also uses I don't know about...and good luck for your Stellaris mod ! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there people !

So, here come some news about the mod's current progression. First, I'm glad to announce that Cooper finally found a way to make transparent textures, as it was a major blocking issue to achieve the Megaroad. It will allow us to enjoy the full city under its dome :) ...and, now you know the guy, he thought he wasn't going to stop at this point and decided to make the entire main deck for the DYRL version of the SDF-1 !

Let me show you how it looks in its early stage

View from distance

Capture0_preview.png.4d9491fa0bc277a8f2efeee9764a60fe.png

Closer look

Capture_preview.png.d724da9c0504952af0b49189a7eecb36.png

You'll certainly recognize the area where Minmay is supposed to sing during the battle vs Gorg Bodolzaa, some good stuff might come out of all this, just saying ^^

I don't have much more to give you guys but we will discuss on discord with Cooper in a couple of weeks, I'll get back around with more stuff to share, until then have fun !

EDIT :

Just in case you've missed it on Steam, here's the baby

Capture03_preview.png.9efdc9e00950fec45d8ccfd13d36c0d6.png

This time I'm leaving, bye folks ! ;)

Edited by ShiftZero

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man ;)

Regarding transformation capability, it's hard to say right now, it will greatly depend on where the turrets are placed upon the ship. If they are on a "movable" part of the ship during transfo process, it could be problematic (the same issue Cooper encountered when he started to animate the SDF-1 from the TV-show). If you've watched our old video archives, you might have noticed his early work about its transformation. Things were progressing pretty smoothly and then, homeworld was patched and Cooper had to start over but this time rules had changed.

In this case, there are two possibilities, either Cooper will have to define this turret as a decoy and make it totally useless in combat or he will have to make the SDF-1 non-tranformable to keep turrets functionalities.

I'd like to tell you yes, but even I don't know if this will be a "reality" or not, you know Cooper like to surprise people and I'm not exempted from that ^^

As far as I know, he already began to animate the SV-51 but he was kind of "secretive" about his work and I think he would prefer to achieve this before starting anything else. Anyway, be sure I'll let you know as soon as I get more details ;)

See you around guys !

Edited by ShiftZero

• 1 month later...

All right people, let's roll for another round with some news about the mod's current progression and, as usual, visuals are more speaking than words, so there we go !

The ARMD from Dyrl is almost done and looks already gorgeous, have a look by yourself :

DYRLARMD.jpg.64914f4f94c5c38df43a54171ff7f75b.jpg

DYRLARMD2.jpg.d51c9802c0f81b69666e8df653150ecf.jpg

DYRLARMD3.jpg.724d1f601942f1389bbf37315b12ca4a.jpg

I'll post pictures of this ship in-game as soon as I can grab some, can't wait to see her in space.

And aside of that, Cooper has started to work on texturing/coating the SDF-1, but I only managed to get a "shoulder" to show you... :pardon:

All the coating's different tones give the whole thing a very realistic look even if the result is not final, what do you think ?

SDF1LShoulder.jpg.578151aa2f0625b7e789ee04eefba251.jpg

and last, the same part but with the arm where the ARMD is supposed to dock + articulated double laser gun

SDF1LShoulder2.jpg.153d693c258aac7c0c5c6e9610a821f2.jpg

That's it for today folks, hope you enjoyed what you saw and expect the next update to be a BMF one ^^ (no, there is no ETA for now) 'til then, have fun !

See you around guys !

Edited by ShiftZero

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good, you guys!

I may be a fan of Robotech (of which this series was mish-mashed in, please don't hate on me for liking it!) but HOT DAMN, this is a beauty!

And I can't wait to see the larger version of the ship. I... don't think it fully transforms in the mod as it is, but I can't wait to see it do so when it does end up finished!

6 hours ago, Saphira123456 said:

(of which this series was mish-mashed in, please don't hate on me for liking it!)

if you expect to go ridicule-free, you came to the wrong neighborhood!

but we try not to hate on people here. you'll be [relatively] safe:D

"Veritech" indeed.........................

18 hours ago, slide said:

but we try not to hate on people here. you'll be [relatively] safe:D

Thanks.

I personally can't wait for the SDF-1 to be ready.

I also can't wait to get a new graphics card. Can't play the game until my OpenGL gets upgraded to 3.3...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there,

Regarding transformation, there may be a little something to watch

Cooper is working hard on making the next update great, I will get back on time to provide you guys with the patchnote and some more details. It shouldn't be long even if he's actually fighting against a weird issue with steam workshop manager.

Bye !

Edited by ShiftZero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Attention Chicks and d*cks, assemble and get ready because today is the day !

0.2.5 update has been deployed (at last !)

You'll find some deep changes inside this one, but let me give you a more detailled overlook. The information contained in this communication is extremely sensitive, purge all records after reading. :lol:

New units

- VF-0 Phoenix (fighter)
- VF-0 Angel (corvette)
- VF Orguss (corvette)
- MegaRoad (Mothership)

Major Changes

SDF-1 is now a Battle Ship     

- Fully transformable
            - Optimized model
            - New texture

-New combat classes and flying dynamics-

* Officers are now optimized for Dogfight
* Battroids combat behavior have been adjusted for more "realism" (how we expect to see them move during combat)
* Gerwalks have been modified the same way, to match a better visual while fighting
* Zentrans Battlesuits went through the same process

-Visual Effects-

A lot whole set of new explosion effects has been integrated
Created by Sinestesia Studio

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sinestesiastudio/about/?ref=page_internal

Firing sequence for the SDF-1 main cannon has been resynchonized in order to hide that ugly beam's starting point
First iteration for animated thrusters (and exhaust) to simulate thrust vectoring systems
Heavy missiles parameters have been improved for the Oberth Destroyer

-Balancing-
Most units went through balancing process but few are still remaining

-Gameplay-
Building process have been rethought to allow players to construct more units at once
Deep changes have been done for U.N.Spacy building tree
Quel-Quallie has been nerfed and become a command light frigate. It focuses more on troops coordination now

Warnings

Some units are now very specialized, AA gun will only be able to shoot at small units when heavy missiles can only be shot at Medium+ targets
For instance the QF-3000-E is a specialized light bomber and so it doesn't carry any weapon able to shoot upon fighters/corvettes

Miscellaneous

Units with thrust vectoring effect
    VF-1A standard
    VF Orguss
    Regult (animated missiles pods/changing posture animation)
    Nousjadeul Ger (dynamic right arm animation)
The megaroad didn't get its final texture, need to be revamped
Buildings under its dome are still being worked on (temporary HW2 version)

Known issues

Sometimes, for heroes, during battroid>fighter transformation, the left arm might get stuck at 45° instead of resetting its position (not a game breaker, the valk will retransform in battroid for the next fight and will engage normally)
Sadly there is a shader incompatibility with BGmaps (by Dom2) mod which uses custom shaders too. When both mods are selected, transparency effect for the megaroad does not appear.
We'd like to integrate those awesome backgrounds directly into the macross mod for future updates.

Note from the author
I'm totally aware that putting the Megaroad as mothership does not match the Macross chronology. It is a temporary setting in order to allow the sdf-1 to be able to go to battle without jeopardizing the entire U.N.Spacy fleet.
It will stay that way until the replacement unit is ready. It still allowed me to work on transparency shader and give some free space to the SDF-1 to be an actual battle ship.
Have fun folks, see you next time !

Here's a little bonus, this is the hierarchy tree for the SDF-1's animation, according to cooper it was a real mind crusher, but he managed to overcome that challenge ^^

211428509.31499997_Capture.jpg.0341f2ede2d526fad9ca0b79286279f2.jpg

See you around guys ! ;)

Edited by ShiftZero

• 2 weeks later...

I love this mod....This was the reason I bought Homeworld...I just hope they can figure out the A.I. issue. It is fun to see the various units but I am hoping to actually battle in game.  I understand this is a beta testing model.  It still is fun to watch and play. Please Cooper and all keep up the great work and thank you for all of your work on this mod.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:38 AM, skiman94 said:

I love this mod....This was the reason I bought Homeworld...I just hope they can figure out the A.I. issue. It is fun to see the various units but I am hoping to actually battle in game.  I understand this is a beta testing model.  It still is fun to watch and play. Please Cooper and all keep up the great work and thank you for all of your work on this mod.

I am thinking about buying Homeworld because of this mod.  I have a couple of questions:

Are there any mods that work with this? 

I am figuring that I will have to buy the steam version for $34 vs the GOG version for $6?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy Homeworld?

Thanks in advance

@Skiman94 If you want to see real action during your game, don't start your game with a 2 players map. There is an issue with those and some of the mod's parameters, we'll give you folks some more details in the next update's patchnote (which focuses on balancing and shouldn't be long to arrive)

@NightmarePlus I can totally see what you're talking about !  (pssst !...it is a VF-0A ^^)

@GunnyC Yup, you'll find some compatible mods, like the Gundam one (thanks to the Gundam's mod team which make both mods working together). This said, every combinaisons haven't been tested so you might find some of them that cannot be run with this Macross mod.

I guess your best choice would be to buy the cheapest version of HomeworldRM but I think you'll have to install the mod manually. Some guys managed to play the mod with a GOG version of Homeworld but I couldn't say how they did that. It might just be a simple "copy and paste" story, like you get your hands on the .big file for the mod and copy it into the mods directory for GOG, something like that...

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't buy Homeworld but my opinion is kinda biased on that topic :P

Edited by ShiftZero

• 4 months later...

At the risk of reintroducing myself and becoming invested in Macross again, I'm Ben, aka Lestat, original creator of the DYRL mod for HW1. I was ordering some Macross models from Japan and just happened to jump on here and see my old account still worked and that the team tried to get in touch a while back. Impressive job guys!

1. Fantastic job guys, you got so much further (and more ambitious) than the original team ever did! Looks fantastic!

2. I find your lack of meltrans disturbing

3. Ghost-series needs some more love too...

4. What are the poly counts on these warlocks? Ideal budget?

5. Are the export tools from maya? Otherwise, what format?

6. Does the new HW use normal maps?

7. I'm a busy man making spaceships all day long. :D No promises.

Hello, Lestate,

Firstly, thanks for the DYRL mod, it was my first mod on the Homeworld license, it helped and inspired me a lot in my first versions of this project, these versions were on homeworld 2, at the time I was using the 3D models of DYRL mod that I was adapting for Homeworld 2 for fun and that allowed me to improve my 3d modeling and texturing techniques.
Then a bad idea came to me one Christmas evening to put online, the sketch of this project which was pretty ugly at the time, it must be admitted especially the Zentradi models, but now it looks like something not bad, there is still a lot of work.

1. Fantastic job guys, you got so much further (and more ambitious) than the original team ever did! Looks fantastic!
Thank you very much

2. I find your lack of meltrans disturbing.
Yes, me too it disturbs me, but do not worry the meltarns are well planned in the program, I have to do the 3D model but for the moment, I focus on balancing, the dynamics of fighting and games, fixing some bugs and I have to decide how to integrate them, a new faction, a reinforcement of the Zentradi, both options have their advantages and disadvantages.

3. Ghost-series needs some more love too ...
Yes, there will be other Ghost in the future, maybe a heavy unit based on an ARMD version DYRL specialized in the deployment of drone (Ghost) like the frigate essain.

4. What are the poly counts on these warlocks? Ideal budget?
For example the Quimeliquola Queadluun-Rau a model of "Chthonic" the poly count is around 25000 polygons, a QF-3000E Ghost the poly count is 5000 polygons.
In fact it depends on the vessels and its complexity, whether to animate it or not, whether there is a transmormation or not, but it's true that I favor aesthetics at the expense of performance, but considering the performance of current machines we can have very sexy models.

5. Are the export tools from maya? Otherwise, what format?
As long as I have a model in OBJ, DAE, or even better MAX format, only imperative the unit of measurement must be in centimeters, the export to Homeworld RM this fact with the DAE format so the modeling software does not matter .
If you wish, I can give you an ARMD in MAX format with animation, the landing runways, takeoff and modules, to give you an idea of the structure.

6. Does the new HW use normal maps?
Yes, we can also have customizable shaders, animate a texture and have a transparent texture, ideal for the canopy of SDF-1, Megaroad and after burner effects on certain units.

7. I'm a busy man making spaceships all day long. : D No promised.
No problem.

Yo, it's time to go to sleep it's the middle of the night over here and I'm working tomorrow.
See you soon

On 2/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, Lestat said:

I'm a busy man making spaceships all day long

Really ? I thought you were the kind of man who likes to play piano all night long in some old abandoned mansions in New-Orleans ;)

More seriously, that's cool to finally get your thoughts about Cooper's mod as, like he said, the former one inspired him a lot in the process of making his own Macross mod.
See you around !

Edited by ShiftZero