I think Memorial Day was the traditional release from the start of the franchise, but Christmas just makes more sense on multiple levels.  With Marvel releases coming out roughly three a year, they can keep December free for Star Wars stuff, and not sabotage their own movies.  Between that, the merchandising extravaganza that goes along with Christmas, and people having time to go as a family, there's really no downside.

10 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Christmas is good with me, I like cooler weather to go out to a movie anyway.  (might sound nuts but it's true)

Not nuts to me at all. I prefer Cool-cold weather over summer heat all the time. Always easier to fix being cold than it is to fix being hot. ;)

Chris

My biggest issue with it, is that the release date always seems to coincide with my company's holiday party.

Last year, they said attendance was mandatory (well, would be VERY frowned upon by our VP.)

Said VP & most of senior staff then didn't show up to party...

On 9/12/2017 at 2:57 PM, Dobber said:

Ep. 9 pushed back to Dec 2019.

http://collider.com/star-wars-9-release-date-jj-abrams/

I'm really happy about that as I hated the move to May and much prefer SW at Christmas time. Just made the Holiday's all the more special for me. 

Chris

I actually hate this move and was looking forward to the movies moving to May for just one reason. I don't want to wait in line in winter to see this movie. I live in Northern, BC in Canada. It gets really cold here.

Edited by Sandman

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Phobos said:

It has a very updated "Empire Strikes Back" feel to it.

Attacking a base with walkers and defending with speeders. Check.
Reluctant teacher training newb. Check.
Dark Lord reaching out to the newb in a "Join me."-moment. Check.
Millennium Falcon flying through caves. Check.

27 minutes ago, azrael said:

Attacking a base with walkers and defending with speeders. Check.
Reluctant teacher training newb. Check.
Dark Lord reaching out to the newb in a "Join me."-moment. Check.
Millennium Falcon flying through caves. Check.

So the next one is going to be a rehash of RotJ, so if the pattern holds...

If Luke doesn't by it in this one or early in IX then Leia will be a force ghost (possible voice actor replacement) to tell Rey that Kylo is her brother. 

Then again if the trailer is any indication we'll get that little bit this movie.

After watching the trailer a few more times I'm really starting to like it (the trailer) quite a bit. SWNN posted this great fan made mega trailer, which uses scenes from the teaser and the new trailer spliced together. Only thing I don't like is the laughing at the end.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm hoping after episode 9 we'll see something completely new in the Star Wars universe on the silver screen. KOTOR I wish.

Nope, not gonna happen.  Disney has an established money-printing formula and why would they deviate from that?  Some of us clamour for new material, but enough are satisfied with "more of the same".

Okay, liking this so dang much! A bit of misdirection going on though, I think. I think the part at the beginning, when she's talking about something inside her being awake, is the same conversation at the end, when she's asking for someone to show her where she belongs. I'm pretty sure she is also talking to Luke, and probably after his doubts first tell him not to train her.

A lot of great things going on though. Plenty of space battles. Plenty FEELS, especially with Kylo's will he or won't he kill his mother. I would guess that killing his father wasn't as cathartic as he had hoped it would. And Snoke getting Rey there, more than likely follows after the scene with Kylo holding his hand out.

Dang, can't wait until Dec!