Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

So the Sv-262 uses the VF-9's arm bar-design. Interesting.

Sv-262 has an extra set of guns behind the cockpit which become (or end up on) the right arm while the tail fin unfolds to become a shield on the left which has no visible weapons.

And the VF-171's gunpod has a ejectable magazine (however, it looks ridiculously small, maybe an e-mag?).

Shield could double up as a melee weapon as it has a spike at the end.

btw is the name of the elysium carrier confirmed? Some snaps of the deck in question...

Aether?

post-15116-0-04620700-1461560986_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-56899500-1461561006_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-73193200-1461561025_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-50310600-1461561045_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-73335900-1461561054_thumb.jpg

Edited by seti88

I dunno about the carriers, but I remember seeing screens where Elysion was written, not Elysium. Semantic differences for the most part, but all the same.

Looking up Greek mythology...

is this gonna be the name of Elysion's other carrier?

Aether (Light) (male) and Hemera (Day) (female)

haha i forgot what was the name of the SDF (verdict still out on the class? ), thanks for the clarification...how abt the carriers then or are the subs right?

plus does the shuttle look like sort of modified koenig?post-15116-0-85288600-1461564439_thumb.jpg

goosebumps when the ghosts appears.. fortunately not as creepy as it sounds.....

post-15116-0-82857300-1461566828_thumb.jpgpost-15116-0-73528000-1461566833_thumb.jpg

Edited by seti88

btw is the name of the elysium carrier confirmed? Some snaps of the deck in question...

Aether?

Thanks for the info. I guess now I know that's what the name on the VF-31s tail fins are referring to now. Maybe the VF-31A's are stationed on the other carrier.

Edited by wmkjr

Thanks for the info. I guess now I know that's what the name on the VF-31s tail fins are referring to now. Maybe the VF-31A's are stationed on the other carrier.

Good question! What we will have on the other carrier? Destroids, VF-31As or another paratrooper girls squad? :D

You know I'd laugh with all the crap Windermere is doing it awakens a Bird Human and Walkure has to save their bacon from extinction.

IMO, it's more likely for Heinz to awaken a Bird Human though, especially since they're using what seem to be protoculture ruins to project their song.

IMO, it's more likely for Heinz to awaken a Bird Human though, especially since they're using what seem to be protoculture ruins to project their song.

Either that or they'll turn out to be the luckiest SOBs in the galaxy, and reveal that they think they're the true inheritors of the Protoculture's legacy because they had the good fortune to have been sitting on a fully-functional Evil series bio-weapon like the one Havamal found buried on Uroboros. Maybe Heinz is in such poor health because the Aerial Knights are using the negative wavelength of his fold song to wake it up and prepare it for war.

I don't know about that whole "Protoculture legacy"-bit. That sounds like a mis-translation. I do get the feeling the Windermerans happened to find this ancient fold-wave transmitter (that's what it essentially is) and are using it to lash out against the universe to "right some wrong" they have experienced. I'm also not sure how the Bird Human fits into this that you guys keep mentioning.

Shield could double up as a melee weapon as it has a spike at the end.

Not sure why the underside is painted red, typically that is the color of anti-barnacle paint (the UK has a blue colored paint) and this carrier doesn't look like it was designed for the water.

Looking up Greek mythology...

is this gonna be the name of Elysion's other carrier?

Aether (Light) (male) and Hemera (Day) (female)

That would make sense and would also explain why the fighters have Aether in their markings. If the VF-171's are based on the other carrier we'll need to look for Hemera somewhere on them.

You know I'd laugh with all the crap Windermere is doing it awakens a Bird Human and Walkure has to save their bacon from extinction.

That would be a fun twist. Be careful what you wish for or the Birdman will get you.... :ph34r:

Can we discuss the pinpoint barriers on the YF-31?

In Frontier Ozma was able to create an omni directional with the VF-25S. But was that due to the added Armored Parts?

Is the Siegfied capable of an omni directional?

In Frontier Ozma was able to create an omni directional with the VF-25S. But was that due to the added Armored Parts?

He was able to make larger barrier "discs" because of the Full Armor's extra capacitors.

Is the Siegfied capable of an omni directional?

If it has a Full-armored system, probably. I imagine the beam gunpod and remote power charger of Delta's VF-31s would pretty much prohibit generation of larger PPB "discs" than the standard arm-shield sized "discs".

He was able to make larger barrier "discs" because of the Full Armor's extra capacitors.

If it has a Full-armored system, probably. I imagine the beam gunpod and remote power charger of Delta's VF-31s would pretty much prohibit generation of larger PPB "discs" than the standard arm-shield sized "discs".

Another option for it to generate larger barriers might be if it has a fold dimension resonance system to boost the output of its engines and other fold-based systems.

I wanna see more on how the VF-31E's dish folds out. That said, the whole folding thing for that, as well as the weapons pods on the other 31s seems like an interesting concept.

I don't know about that whole "Protoculture legacy"-bit. That sounds like a mis-translation. I do get the feeling the Windermerans happened to find this ancient fold-wave transmitter (that's what it essentially is) and are using it to lash out against the universe to "right some wrong" they have experienced. I'm also not sure how the Bird Human fits into this that you guys keep mentioning.

One of the subs simply translated it as "children of the Protoculture", and it seemed to me more as a way for them to address everyone that was listening to their transmission, since they would be all "children of the protoculture".

Edited by d3v

One of the subs simply translated it as "children of the Protoculture", and it seemed to me more as a way for them to address everyone that was listening to their transmission, since they would be all "children of the protoculture".

We should probably blame RedWolf for misreading that.

Another option for it to generate larger barriers might be if it has a fold dimension resonance system to boost the output of its engines and other fold-based systems.

If it has it. I think it would have been mentioned if it had it. I'm guessing that feature was an Ouroboros-exclusive.

I wanna see more on how the VF-31E's dish folds out. That said, the whole folding thing for that, as well as the weapons pods on the other 31s seems like an interesting concept.

There was a discussion onthe 31E in the 31 DX toys thread...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43115&page=41

and i posted further 31E transforming pics under spoiler...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43115&page=46#entry1271504

Edited by seti88

So the drakens appear in full transformation in Ep 4.....

In terms of mech i hope to see these soon...

1) The 31A's in action, and I do hope they give a nice animation intro for the transformation, and get proper kick-ass pods too..

2) Full armored 31S kicking someone's behind...

3) A windermerean boss valk...

4) Full armored VF-171 or VF-31A

On helmets...

It's not like a pilot really NEEDS one, given the inertial dampening qualities of most Valkyries (Hikaru did it in a couple instances of Macross, and Basara went bascially his whole series without one). It follows that in a modern VF-31, if anything hit him with enough force to overpower whatever the inertial dampeners can handle, he'd end up as chunky salsa on the inside of the cockpit no matter what. The Knights seem to do without them as well, unless they're just holographed out as what seems to be the case Walkure's outfits.

Still, they make a big deal of modifying Hayate's plane so he can fly without one. In practice, he doesn't need one for HUD properties either since they seem perfectly okay with free-floating displays anywhere they're actually needed, plus the ones one the actual screens in front of him. But what happens when he wants to do the Zero/Frontier googly-eye missile lock-on? Deploy the Ex-Gear?

On the ships...

Yeah, it's written ELYSION on the back of its bridge in big red letters. No missing out that this is the intended spelling at this point. :)

Cool name for the carrier. :) I'm willing to bet the other carrier carries the Elysion's complement of CF fighters... The ship seems to be the sole vessel of Ragna's garrison (that we know of), and if it is, thus it makes sense it doesn't go anywhere until the fight comes to them, sending off these cool carrier arms to do the mission at hand.

On that, the Aether seems to transform for space / interstellar operations, which I *suppose* may make sense in certain scenarios when there's no gravity. Looking at screencaps, the carrier deck splits into three and the outboard sponsons angle down. This reveals additional bays from which fighters can launch along the catapult rails instead of the upper deck - which may still be able to launch craft? It does make a certain amount of sense.

But we really haven't seen the bridge of the Aether, have we? Some of the gang were monitoring things from a darkened room in the first episode, which may have had consoles in the background in addition to some desk space for Kaname's laptop. That might be the bridge...

And hey, anyone notice that the Aether appears to move through fold space without the characteristic "afterimage" effects seen in other Macross series? Frontier seems to have largely ignored them except in the first episode, but most of the rest had them. Omission, or advancing technology?

On Walkure's outfits...

So is there a consensus on how these things work? Extrapolating from what Sheryl was wearing in the first episode of Frontier, I'd always figured that they were wearing some sort of skin-tight suit which includes (in Delta) some kind of advanced holography to make it appear that they're wearing whatever costume they want. In episode 1, Reina is wearing a full-on spacesuit, helmet included. Where does that go when she pops into her performance gear? I'd like to think that they could be wearing them the whole time - sending them out into an open combat zone without head protection really seems silly.

The girls' normal performance outfit includes a sort of hip-mounted crinoline visible on all their outfits (with variations) which contains the jet thrusters we've seen them use even when they swap to the outfits they use in Episode 4. We may never see these suits when they're "off", but I hope they address this in some fashion since they spend a whole lot of time on the mechanics of the rest of the universe... It seems that they haven't quite reached the level of magical matter synthesis like on Star Trek, but they might be getting close. Is this the Macross franchise's take on tactile and haptic feedback? Perhaps the suit has some PPB field that can imitate the fabric and hair to a certain extent?

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant

On helmets...

It's not like a pilot really NEEDS one, given the inertial dampening qualities of most Valkyries (Hikaru did it in a couple instances of Macross, and Basara went bascially his whole series without one). It follows that in a modern VF-31, if anything hit him with enough force to overpower whatever the inertial dampeners can handle, he'd end up as chunky salsa on the inside of the cockpit no matter what. The Knights seem to do without them as well, unless they're just holographed out as what seems to be the case Walkure's outfits.

The opening shows them with helmets and they just get holographed out.

On Walkure's outfits...

So is there a consensus on how these things work? Extrapolating from what Sheryl was wearing in the first episode of Frontier, I'd always figured that they were wearing some sort of skin-tight suit which includes (in Delta) some kind of advanced holography to make it appear that they're wearing whatever costume they want. In episode 1, Reina is wearing a full-on spacesuit, helmet included. Where does that go when she pops into her performance gear? I'd like to think that they could be wearing them the whole time - sending them out into an open combat zone without head protection really seems silly.

The girls' normal performance outfit includes a sort of hip-mounted crinoline visible on all their outfits (with variations) which contains the jet thrusters we've seen them use even when they swap to the outfits they use in Episode 4. We may never see these suits when they're "off", but I hope they address this in some fashion since they spend a whole lot of time on the mechanics of the rest of the universe... It seems that they haven't quite reached the level of magical matter synthesis like on Star Trek, but they might be getting close. Is this the Macross franchise's take on tactile and haptic feedback? Perhaps the suit has some PPB field that can imitate the fabric and hair to a certain extent?

Mark

Episode 4 shows that they do have a general "uniform". However it seems that holographic tech has progressed to the point where they no longer need special suits underneath. Actually, they haven't needed those suits since the Frontier since later episodes (as well as the movies) seem to have dumped that idea.

Episode 4 shows that they do have a general "uniform". However it seems that holographic tech has progressed to the point where they no longer need special suits underneath. Actually, they haven't needed those suits since the Frontier since later episodes (as well as the movies) seem to have dumped that idea.

The "general uniform" could just be another "look" for the holo suit.

If it has it. I think it would have been mentioned if it had it. I'm guessing that feature was an Ouroboros-exclusive.

They might not mention it until it becomes relevant... they waited until episode 4 to mention the VF-31 has an inertia store converter.

(Though, to Hayate, that was probably news. He wasn't a pilot beforehand, and neither of the Valkyries he flew prior to that point had one.)

The "general uniform" could just be another "look" for the holo suit.

... and so does the bottomless pit of speculation "what are they actually wearing?" open...

Maybe, maybe not. Sheryl wore a suit in the first episode of Frontier, but later she seemed to not be wearing one when she got changed between songs even though that concert was basically a repeat of the first. In later usages for costume changes (notably in the Frontier finale), both Sheryl and Ranka seemed to change without putting any sort of suit on; however it could just have easily been projected onto them by their respective stages aboard Quarter and Battle Frontier.

In the movies, both of them performed with the same glowey sort of effect that we see Walkure have here when they're on stage; so it could be similar technology. Still, the glow may indicate their suits' built in fold receptor tech working, since at points in this week's episode some of them are not glowing while their outfits are still there.

I think the evidence points to the use of multiple technologies for holography and probably PPB projection, whether it be in whatever they're wearing, on the stage, or even from the fighters. I'm willing to be that Kawamori and co. have a general idea of what's making it all work, but like everything else in these shows we're expected to sit back, enjoy what we're seeing, and trust in the notion that something indistinguishable from magic is at work here.

I agree it's getting close to my personal limit for suspension for disbelief, but my wife and I watch this show in the same session as Sailor Moon Crystal, so we're not too far from accepting more of the same. :)

Mark

On helmets...

Still, they make a big deal of modifying Hayate's plane so he can fly without one. In practice, he doesn't need one for HUD properties either since they seem perfectly okay with free-floating displays anywhere they're actually needed, plus the ones one the actual screens in front of him. But what happens when he wants to do the Zero/Frontier googly-eye missile lock-on? Deploy the Ex-Gear?

If you have ever been in the cockpit of a running fighter, it is noisy regardless of all the advances you make when operating in the atmosphere.....the biggest issue I would see with no helmet is not being able to hear anyone on your com frequency or communicate with them or hear any threat warnings the systems may detect.

I've been in civil props, so I can imagine an order of magnitude worse than that. :)

However, ever since the very first Macross they've never had ANY problem hearing or speaking with anyone, be it on the comm or to anyone else in the cockpit (even if it was open to the outside while moving!). I've always figured it was some sort of over-technology sound insulation that canceled noise and amplified speech in a way we couldn't possibly conceive. At least Macross Zero seemed to show that the pre-Macross tech F-14s still had people putting their masks on to talk with anyone.

Mark

On the ships...

Yeah, it's written ELYSION on the back of its bridge in big red letters. No missing out that this is the intended spelling at this point. :)

Cool name for the carrier. :) I'm willing to bet the other carrier carries the Elysion's complement of CF fighters... The ship seems to be the sole vessel of Ragna's garrison (that we know of), and if it is, thus it makes sense it doesn't go anywhere until the fight comes to them, sending off these cool carrier arms to do the mission at hand.

On that, the Aether seems to transform for space / interstellar operations, which I *suppose* may make sense in certain scenarios when there's no gravity. Looking at screencaps, the carrier deck splits into three and the outboard sponsons angle down. This reveals additional bays from which fighters can launch along the catapult rails instead of the upper deck - which may still be able to launch craft? It does make a certain amount of sense.

So SK and company named an Arm Carrier after a Gothic Metal Band??? :o

That's rather bold and equally obscure to most of the J-Pop audience ( http://elysion-official.com/ ).

Perhaps it was just a phonetic spelling on how the Japanese pronounce "Elysium". I'll let others decide....

The Aether does transform to an extent when deployed, though would describe it more like fully deploy. The flight deck splits into 3 parts, which wouldn't work well on a planet with gravity and it's engines extend for flight, but there is little indication it has a storm attacker mode so far.

I am not so sure that the VF-171's were from the other Arm Carrier though, I do not recall the Delta squad being advised Spacy reinforcements were on the way.

I am also wondering if perhaps the Windemere are SA decendents rather than Anima Spiritia. The declaration of war was against the "Children of the PC" as if the Windemere did not consider themselves part of that community. The "relic" may turn out to be an ancient PD mind control device...

That would make things pretty exciting in my opinion. The idea that disenfranchised SA soldiers, freed of the PD mind control, would be considered pariahs to their own people and as such not retain any love for their former countrymen...

Edited by Zinjo

Ohhohoho, "if", he says.

Macross Plus didn't have any Full Armored valk.

Macross 7 only had the Full Armored parts for the VF-11 but not for the main Valkyries.

Having Full Armored is not the rule.

Edited by akt_m