Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

True enough. But just imagine the awesomeness. :)

Re: The CF VF-171s, I'm sure they were from the local garrison. Among things, their markings and pilot suits featured the usual NUNS logos.

Come to think of it, if Ragna has ONLY the Elysion as its garrison ship, it's rather less well defended than some planets. Ah-Shahal had a fair-size fleet in orbit, including the trusty Northampton, Guantanamo and Uraga class ships, plus the Stealth carriers first seen in Frontier. This may add up to several hundred fighters. Is Ragna so backwater that they don't need it? Or is the Chaos gang all they figure they need? Presumably the human settlement was established when Elysion or some other ship landed with that (still looks smaller than City 7) dome in tow. Were they on their lonesome, or did that fleet get reassigned and had the Elysion plopped in place as a permanent guardian? Interesting speculation to be sure.

Mark

Edited by tout-puissant

So SK and company named an Arm Carrier after a Gothic Metal Band??? :o

That's rather bold and equally obscure to most of the J-Pop audience ( http://elysion-official.com/ ).

Perhaps it was just a phonetic spelling on how the Japanese pronounce "Elysium". I'll let others decide....

Safe bet it's not named for a goth metal band... Chaos has a demonstrated tendency toward Greek terms, to such an extent that its name is printed in Greek on its buildings and fighters (χάος), its flight platoons are identified by letters of the Greek alphabet, and its two named ships thus far both have Greek mythological references for names. They're using the proper Greek pronunciation in the name of Macross Elysion rather than the Latin-ized "Elysium".

I am also wondering if perhaps the Windemere are SA decendents rather than Anima Spiritia. The declaration of war was against the "Children of the PC" as if the Windemere did not consider themselves part of that community. The "relic" may turn out to be an ancient PD mind control device...

Unlikely, IMO... the Supervision Army were spiritia-drained and then brainwashed, what the Windermerians are doing seems to be more like using anima spiritia abilities in an inimical fashion. The Supervision Army itself was supposedly made up of Protoculture and Zentradi that'd been brainwashed.

Come to think of it, if Ragna has ONLY the Elysion as its garrison ship, it's rather less well defended than some planets. Ah-Shahal had a fair-size fleet in orbit, including the trusty Northampton, Guantanamo and Uraga class ships, plus the Stealth carriers first seen in Frontier. This may add up to several hundred fighters. Is Ragna so backwater that they don't need it? Or is the Chaos gang all they figure they need? Presumably the human settlement was established when Elysion or some other ship landed with that (still looks smaller than City 7) dome in tow. Were they on their lonesome, or did that fleet get reassigned and had the Elysion plopped in place as a permanent guardian? Interesting speculation to be sure.

That'd be rather surprising... supposedly the average emigrant planet in the 2030's had a planetary defense fleet of over 70 ships and around 700 variable fighters of different types. A 3rd Generation or later fleet should have around twice that many warships in orbit and three times as many fighters... and that's not counting anything they would've built in the years (or decades) since initially landing on the planet.

Ragna's human settlement seems to be pretty well-established, so I'd expect them to have at least maintained that standard level of defense (if not improved on it).

Safe bet it's not named for a goth metal band... Chaos has a demonstrated tendency toward Greek terms, to such an extent that its name is printed in Greek on its buildings and fighters (χάος), its flight platoons are identified by letters of the Greek alphabet, and its two named ships thus far both have Greek mythological references for names. They're using the proper Greek pronunciation in the name of Macross Elysion rather than the Latin-ized "Elysium".

Fair enough, then why was it not spelled in Greek (Ἠλύσιον) like Chaos is? The proper Greek prounciation would not exactly be pronounced elysion, but I get your point.

Unlikely, IMO... the Supervision Army were spiritia-drained and then brainwashed, what the Windermerians are doing seems to be more like using anima spiritia abilities in an inimical fashion. The Supervision Army itself was supposedly made up of Protoculture and Zentradi that'd been brainwashed.

I don't recall the term "brainwashed" used to describe it. "Mind Controlled" yes. We really haven't been told how exactly the mind control was achieved in ancient times, only how the PD did it during their encounter with the populations they found, post prison. One thing we need to be careful of with Macross is making definitve statements about the Macross universe.

That isn't to say either of us are correct or wrong, just nothing should be discounted at this point.

Edited by Zinjo

Anyone notice the Elysium ( i guess that is what we are calling it) has two daedalus attack arms and no main cannon?

She appears to have two prometheus (the carrier) arms which is consistent with the post refit Macross ships which had two ARMD carriers for arms.

The main cannon(s?), if she has cannons may well be the booms on the back of the ship. I believe the Elysion is a redesign of the Macross Class Warship of old. A new model of a classic warship design, unlike the NMCV class which is primarily a super space carrier.

The booms could be an updated cannon firing like the original or be twin gunships able to fire independently of each other. It was also mentioned that the design team for this ship also designed the Macross Quarter.

Edited by Zinjo

Anyone notice the Elysium ( i guess that is what we are calling it) has two daedalus attack arms and no main cannon?

Interesting, hadn't noticed.

Perhaps the main cannons are actually inside the Arm carrier ships? Although that would limit internal hanger space.

The Elysion might also be going back to the old school design for the main guns, using the two large superstructure sections on the top and back of the ship. Much like the main guns of the SDF-1 Macross.

The carrier arms of the Elysion look really good; reminiscent of the aircraft carriers of the original SDF-1 Macross but much more futuristic. I think the transformation of the Aether makes the ship look much more like it's own independent space vessel once detached from the Elysion; which is probably more stylistic than any real reason to have it transform.

Fair enough, then why was it not spelled in Greek (Ἠλύσιον) like Chaos is? The proper Greek prounciation would not exactly be pronounced elysion, but I get your point.

Presumably for the same reason all of the fighter markings except the company logo are still written in English... for easy recognition (I'd assume the name is written somewhere on the outside of the ship as well).

I don't recall the term "brainwashed" used to describe it. "Mind Controlled" yes. We really haven't been told how exactly the mind control was achieved in ancient times, only how the PD did it during their encounter with the populations they found, post prison. One thing we need to be careful of with Macross is making definitve statements about the Macross universe.

That isn't to say either of us are correct or wrong, just nothing should be discounted at this point.

"Brainwashed" is used to describe it in Macross Chronicle... and on the Compendium's timeline. Mind you, the Protoculture are also said to have brainwashed the Zentradi to prevent them from creating things or engaging in other cultural behaviors on the very same sheet (Worldguide 10A).

The Elysion might also be going back to the old school design for the main guns, using the two large superstructure sections on the top and back of the ship. Much like the main guns of the SDF-1 Macross.

The carrier arms of the Elysion look really good; reminiscent of the aircraft carriers of the original SDF-1 Macross but much more futuristic. I think the transformation of the Aether makes the ship look much more like it's own independent space vessel once detached from the Elysion; which is probably more stylistic than any real reason to have it transform.

I really hope Bandai considers a DX toy based on the Elysion. I love how the carrier is able to transform on its own and keeps my hopes up that the Elysion will look different transformed than the Quarter.

I really hope Bandai considers a DX toy based on the Elysion. I love how the carrier is able to transform on its own and keeps my hopes up that the Elysion will look different transformed than the Quarter.

... I just had a thought.

The Macross Elysion is the first Macross-type ship where we've seen the arms detach and operate independently of the main ship (even though it's alleged to be possible for the Macross Quarter-class).

Is this the birth of the long-awaited Macross rocket punch?

Come to think of it, on Quarter the arms and the two doohickeys aft of the main superstructure were ALL supposed to be capable of independent flight - the two smaller ones were called "BASTER-L" and "BASTER-R" (Buster?), and were independent "battery warships", whatever that means. They were never seen actually doing anything except flip over as the Quarter transformed.

Elysion has equivalent limbs, so perhaps the two tower structures have a similar purpose. They look about the same as it is, being somewhere between the SDF-1 Macross design and that of Quarter.

I'd love to see a DX of Elysion. Mind you, I'm still waiting for the New Macross class, but...

Mark

The Macross Elysion is the first Macross-type ship where we've seen the arms detach and operate independently of the main ship (even though it's alleged to be possible for the Macross Quarter-class).

Nah, no Daedalus type Arm Ship appears to be present on this warship. The Quarter used it's gunship in its Daedalus attack.

Edited by Zinjo

Nah, no Daedalus type Arm Ship appears to be present on this warship. The Quarter used it's gunship in its Daedalus attack.

Nope. Quarter used its BASTAR-L (carrier) to do the Daedalus attack.

We can but hope!

Interesting, so as standard the Sv-262's Ghosts are armed with a single dorsal cannon and 4 x micro-missile launchers.

But in episode 4, the dorsal cannon has obviously been replaced by the multi-drone jamming system.

I've watched the episode again; only 2 Sv-262s have jammer drones (4 drones total) (Twin brothers' Sv-262s)

You can check their atmospheric entry scene.

Others have standart drones.

Edited by charger69