Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Wish they made the cf 171 teal instead of white. That way we may have been lucky enough to get a re release of the DX without the crappy plastic quality.

Actually it looks a lot like it is a CF buff as opposed to the SDFM brown. The CF valks have been getting lighter and light in color over the years. I am still a fan of the VF-171 blue as a CF color.

I'm surprised that the VF-31 appears to use the same canopy as the YF-30. Judging by the YF-30 toy, there's ample room under there to fit a second seat, as in the VF-25, but if the special versions (other than the -31A) are intended to carry and deploy Walkure as shown in Ep 0.89, I'd expect them to have a separate rear canopy section that could allow the singer to hop out more easily. It didn't look bad in the animation, but the design feels kind of thoughtless if the pilot has to pop the entire rear-hinged canopy open into the slipstream and let an idol squeeze past like an 8-year-old exiting the back seats of a 2+2 coupe.

Edited by Nekko Basara

• 2 weeks later...

More news from AnimeJapan2016: Confirmed -- JETFIRE is in Macross Delta!! (Or at least a VF-1 that looks identical to him!)

How crazy would it be if Bandai/Arcadia released a VF-1 in an Autobot Jetfire scheme, eh?? :D

(Oh and before you ask, no, I did not take any pictures. Tochiro did, though... :p )

The VF-31 and the SV-262 are both really cool, and I'm glad we got to see them in episode 1. I actually thought the frankengult was pretty cool, what do you do when you have a regult with busted up thrusters, and a queadluun with a smashed up cockpit? Kluge them together of course, especially if you need a functioning mech. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen that more often, but hey, it looks like the planet they're on might not be the most well supplied, so there's that...

I bet there is a lot of electrical tape holding those electrical wires together in that Frankengult and other odd and ends used as suitable subs........ ;)

I bet there is a lot of electrical tape holding those electrical wires together in that Frankengult and other odd and ends used as suitable subs........ ;)

Maybe some wire nuts too, if the civil engineers had to help...

Oh and we can't forget the metal speed tape........works wonders for covering unsightly openings....and cutting your fingers when you grab it the wrong way...

Need more pics of the flight suits and helmets. I really like the design of the helmet in that pic of Mirage. Like an updated Macross Zero helmet whereas Leon's helmet looked like an updated SDF helmet.

Edited by wmkjr

Something I always wondered, is there an official reason why the VF-17 and all its derivatives still the apparent mainline fighter for the N.U.N.S? In the 20 years since Macross 7, newer iterations and models have been developed, but never seem to fully replace the VF-17 as the main grunt unit.

Something I always wondered, is there an official reason why the VF-17 and all its derivatives still the apparent mainline fighter for the N.U.N.S? In the 20 years since Macross 7, newer iterations and models have been developed, but never seem to fully replace the VF-17 as the main grunt unit.

The VF-17 Nightmare never held the (New) UN Spacy main fighter spot... in fact, only 718 of them were built.

The VF-171 Nightmare Plus is a new model of VF that's a decade and generation newer than the VF-17 it's loosely based on. It was developed as a replacement for the VF-11 Thunderbolt after plans to adopt the VF-19 fell through. Things being what they were in the 2040's, tightened restrictions on arms exports to the emigrant fleets and colonized planets combined with the VF-19's extremely difficult handling and high per-unit price tag to make adopting it as the new main fighter unfeasible. So, of course, with the (New) UN Spacy looking for a "next main fighter" again, General Galaxy tabled a proposal that they thought would address the problems with adopting the VF-19. They took their VF-17 and reworked the design considerably, simplifying it for mass production and easy maintenance while also refining the design to improve its maneuverability and aerodynamics, defensive capabilities, operational versatility, and improving its ease of control. The end result was a multi-role variable fighter/bomber that was highly versatile, extremely cost-effective, and offered a reasonable improvement in performanve vs. the VF-11 without crossing the line into being so high-spec that average pilots couldn't handle it the way the VF-19 had.

Thus far, the VF-171 seems to have held onto the main fighter role for about twenty years and is facing replacement (if not already in the process of being replaced).

The attempt to produce a fighter that could keep the ultra-high performance without sending pilots into G-LOC or turning them into flight suits full of chunky salsa eventually culminated in the 5th Generation YF-24 and its high powered inertia capacitor technology... which became the starting point for various emigrant fleets and planets to semi-independently develop their own replacements for the VF-171 in the late 2050's. The Macross Frontier fleet developed the VF-25 and YF-29 based on those specs, while Macross Galaxy's engineers created the VF-27 and YF-28, and the SMS branch on Uroboros came up with the YF-30 that was eventually developed into the VF-31. (There may be more, Master File mentions Macross Olympia having developed a YF-26 prototype that never saw production.)

The official reason is that Mr. Kawamori wanted a visually distinct design for the main fighter in Macross Frontier.

In universe, the explanation is something along the lines of the VF-19 being deemed by Earth as being too powerful for Emigrant Planets and Fleets to have (in the sense of Earth suspecting them of going rogue down the road and attacking the Earth), and the VF-171 was the next best option (based on a proven airframe, relatively low production/maintenance costs).

According to the MMM, it has something to do with the transition from the original UN Spacy to NUNS.http://macross2.net/m3/macross7/vf-17d-nightmare.htmhttp://macross2.net/m3/macrossf/vf-171.htm

Ooookay... yeah, definitately gotta flag those for update and pass along updated writeups to Mr March.

So is the yf-24 suppose to come the new main general use fighter with the colonies/emigration fleets putting the screws to those plans by improving the design with the 25,27,29.etc?

The YF-24 evolved into the YF-24 Project. It, too, was determined to be too advanced (or dangerous) to give to the allies not at Earth. Plans with downgraded abilities (the ISC potency was reduced, among other things) were distributed to the allies, and some of them produced improved designs to compensate for the downgraded abilities. The VF-25 using EX-Gear, the VF-27 using cyborg soldiers, the BDI System and so on, and the VF-29 being a combination of the advances found in both the VF-25 and 27 (but without the BDI or need for a cyborg pilot).

Interesting. Makes me wonder what the most advanced fighter earth is using. All the numbers from 24-31 seem to be taken.

The YF-29B which was used by Havamal was produced by Earth's Nova Industry. Thing is if the craft is still at the experimental stage data can be withheld from NUNS HQ. However if it is to go through mass production you'd have to share the data. SMS Ouroboros director Aisha Blanchett built the YF-30 on her own. Given it is 7 years after with the VF-31 she eventually shared the data for a mass production version.

If we go by the VF-19ADVANCE of Isamu it can compete with the VF-25. And Earth is weary of exporting parts of the VF-19A to fleets.

Edited by RedWolf

Interesting. Makes me wonder what the most advanced fighter earth is using. All the numbers from 24-31 seem to be taken.

Probably still using the VF-24, as well as the VF-25/27/29/30/31, but with perfect grade ISC.

Probably still using the VF-24, as well as the VF-25/27/29/30/31, but with perfect grade ISC.

Yeah, I've always believed the Federal Forces would have VF-24's in their fleets with all the bells and whistles not shared with the colonies.

This is not unprecedented. The US F-22 has never been on the table as an export fighter, despite all the other models of fighters available to allies. Even the fighters sold to foreign allies are not usually at the same tech level as those used by the US military. Though close allies like Canada and Britain may have it.

Edited by Zinjo

It always makes me curious what we're missing out on seeing when we have these gaps in the numbering on fighters in Macross.

Presumably there's is a VF-23, VF-26, and VF-28 that exist but have gone unseen. I'd figure the 26 and 28 are additional variants on the basic 24 frame, but the 23 could be anything.