azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

I'm the opposite. I am terrible at fightgames, and not really connected with the punch-em-up community. But the things often ooze style, and I love a game with a sense of style. So I have a stack of fighters anyways.

We all know you're the #1 Dating Sim fan, JB0. It's okay to admit it! ;)

JB0 only plays for the waifus.

Wonder what would've happened if the apples were baked into a cake or pie...

Depends on who bakes, maybe someone bakes so bad that instead of making someone start talking, it shuts them up forever.

He's definitely up there for me too. Counting down in German before flying headfirst into an Itano Circus and dodging every single missile? Son.

Plus he's partnered with the Walkure member who has my favourite design so far

Same here, I liked what I saw from Messer and Kaname in the preview episode, my only problem is that I don't like the head of Messer's VF-31 too much.

Well it has certainly been a long time since I posted here. I watched a bad youtube vid of it. I honestly don't know what to think of it. On one hand, I am glad to have Macross back, but I am not so sure about this one yet. I wasn't the biggest fan of Macross 7. I'll give it a whirl when it comes out in the Spring, if only for some Valkyrie on Valkyrie action.

On the "artsy" side, I did love the endless stream of references to everything.

The animation is mixed - battles gorgeous, Freyja a bit overdone on comic side - but this is a pilot episode, fair play.

What really has me worried, though, are the superpowers of the Walkure. For the entire Macross series, singers, well *human* singers, did not come with magical superpowers, and that was a part of what made them great. Minmay, Ranka, Sheryl - they were human, they were fragile, anything else was either stage image or "invulnerability by lack of shooting" - nobody WANTS to shoot at her. Basara was a tough man and good pilot in addition to a good singer but he was still vulnerable, though, as of Dynamite, would recover surprisingly quickly.

And here, they can actually fly and *survive direct rocket hits without armour* ?

I still hope Kawamori will deconstruct this part to smithereens. To start with, we might see the girl who was hit by rockets in hospital or outright dead. Or we might have an explanation of what shielded her that does not involve magical superpowers, but rather works in the "soft sci fi" way typical of Macross (someone using a device to generatre a force field around her, for example).

pretty sure there are in universe sci-fi explanations to all of the idols' abilities, from pinpoint barriers generated by the multidrones to vernier rockets in their skirts. still doesn't make me like it tho.

A friend has pointed out that the name of the original ace was Max Immelmann.

So apparently he has the distinction of being referenced in the Macross univerce twice.

And I am still wondering how (and if) they are going to explain how Mikumo survived the rocket hit. She did sing after it!

Though I have my suspicions about her prospects of subsequent survival - thanks to the observation on this thread about aces. Georges Guynemer was shot down in 1917 and did not survive.

Edited by Saruta

The animation is mixed - battles gorgeous, Freyja a bit overdone on comic side - but this is a pilot episode, fair play.

What really has me worried, though, are the superpowers of the Walkure. For the entire Macross series, singers, well *human* singers, did not come with magical superpowers, and that was a part of what made them great. Minmay, Ranka, Sheryl - they were human, they were fragile, anything else was either stage image or "invulnerability by lack of shooting" - nobody WANTS to shoot at her. Basara was a tough man and good pilot in addition to a good singer but he was still vulnerable, though, as of Dynamite, would recover surprisingly quickly.

And here, they can actually fly and *survive direct rocket hits without armour* ?

I still hope Kawamori will deconstruct this part to smithereens. To start with, we might see the girl who was hit by rockets in hospital or outright dead. Or we might have an explanation of what shielded her that does not involve magical superpowers, but rather works in the "soft sci fi" way typical of Macross (someone using a device to generatre a force field around her, for example).

They fly using verniers hidden under their skirts similar to what Sheryl used in one of her concerts and you need to re-watch that scene where Mikumo is hit by those missiles because she guards the explosion using those Multi-Drones at the last second. Nothing magical about that so far.

Yea

If you read back through the last several pages of this thread and also the Delta technology thread, we have actually been discussing and deconstructing the abilities of Walkure and the multi-drones.

They fly using verniers hidden under their skirts similar to what Sheryl used in one of her concerts and you need to re-watch that scene where Mikumo is hit by those missiles because she guards the explosion using those Multi-Drones at the last second. Nothing magical about that so far.

Aha - rewatched and found it now - a frame-freeze bonus.

Looks like it's far more Kawamoriesque than I initially thought. Intentionally made to look like magic with quick bits to show it's actually technology (well Macross technology - like a quckly-set-up a force field leaving one totally intact from a direct rocket hit) and left for the fans to find. Still wonder what kind of tech Mikumo uses to manage the force field so quickly - she can set it up in time for the expllosion, then pushes it out to get free of the rubble. But this has to be explained somewhere :)

And every rewatch brings more quotes from everything, the latest finds are My Little Pony (big apple farming family) and Death Note or Bleach ("shinigami?!").

P.S. I do wonder who of the seven Jenuis girls is the mother of Mirage Farina Genius. And if it's Mylene, who the father is. Unlikely to be Basara...

Edited by Saruta

Aha - rewatched and found it now - a frame-freeze bonus.

Looks like it's far more Kawamoriesque than I initially thought. Intentionally made to look like magic with quick bits to show it's actually technology (well Macross technology - like a quckly-set-up a force field leaving one totally intact from a direct rocket hit) and left for the fans to find. Still wonder what kind of tech Mikumo uses to manage the force field so quickly - she can set it up in time for the expllosion, then pushes it out to get free of the rubble. But this has to be explained somewhere :)

All of Walkure use these devices on their fingernails to control the drones. You can actually see them flicking their hands and such to direct them as part of their dance routines.

And every rewatch brings more quotes from everything, the latest finds are My Little Pony (big apple farming family) and Death Note or Bleach ("shinigami?!").

Actually neither of those are references, sorry. Both are just standard Japanese that existed long before either of those franchises. Edited by Tochiro

I think he was joking.

I was basically half joking. The idea is, the thing appears to be so busy referencing everything that one starts seeing references everywhere. And that's just the pilot episode. But this is one of the parts I liked from the start.

I'm mellowing to it once it turned out that all of the magic-stuff has blink-and-you-miss-it tech explanations. Perhaps except Mikuno's emerging without a scratch from a multiple rocket hit while all she had was two small force field generators, but that might be explained later. (And we don't even *know* if she was really unharmed - all we know is she can move and sing in an emergency situation, her holographic device would probably mask any wounds or bruises. Or she might indeed be a Grace-style cyborg. Or even, though improbably, an outright android; an android singer existed in Macross 29 Musicalture so they are "canon").

Edited by Saruta

By comparison, we've seen what happens when "visionaries" take the idols out of the equation altogether to make something more gritty and American.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-5-failed-robotech-sequels-1608968158

Man, that sidebar recommendation in the above link. :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

In fairness, Δ is WAY more subtle with it's referencing than Frontier was.

In more fairness, a brick to the face is more subtle than Frontier's references. A brick laced with explosives.

or Pineapple salad, which would be way more ominous and fatal in this instance.

No HD? What is this? 1995? Boooooo.... I'd rather watch the Shadow Chronicles!!!!

:ph34r::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[edit:] Conspiracy time: what if this is a testbed for Big West to gauge the interest in Macross Delta from different regions around the world due to Google Analytics? Maybe they try to figure out if it is a good idea to include English subtitles to their releases on a disc. Or even better, if interest is high enough, find a way to distribute it in other regions than Japan.

Edited by Scyla

Well it has certainly been a long time since I posted here. I watched a bad youtube vid of it. I honestly don't know what to think of it. On one hand, I am glad to have Macross back, but I am not so sure about this one yet. I wasn't the biggest fan of Macross 7. I'll give it a whirl when it comes out in the Spring, if only for some Valkyrie on Valkyrie action.

It grows on you on the 3rd or 4th viewing. Just keep watching it over and over again until you have no choice but to like it. :D

I guess I'm not super up to date on the IP exactly, but would it be crazy to think they'd work out something Cunchy or Funi or something for subbed streaming? And that's why they've un-region-locked it for hype-building?

I dono how much money the streaming sites bring in, but maybe, given Frontier's domestic success and the seemingly thriving anime market in the US, someone's finally trying to poke the issue (which seems, from my fairly limited reading of things, to be a pretty easy case against HG, as long as you're willing to go to court).

Another theory is that HG would have a very hard time trying to DCMA an international site that provided an english subbed stream, even if it weren't region locked.

Edited by Rbstr

I guess I'm not really up to date on the IP exactly, but would it be crazy to think they'd work out something Cunchy or Funi or something for subbed streaming? And that's why they've un-region-locked it for hype-building?

Yeah, it would. They can't bring it over, and a number of people I've talked to appear pretty frustrated about it.

I guess I'm not super up to date on the IP exactly, but would it be crazy to think they'd work out something Cunchy or Funi or something for subbed streaming? And that's why they've un-region-locked it for hype-building?

I dono how much money the streaming sites bring in, but maybe, given Frontier's domestic success and the seemingly thriving anime market in the US, someone's finally trying to poke the issue (which seems, from my fairly limited reading of things, to be a pretty easy case against HG, as long as you're willing to go to court).

Another theory is that HG would have a very hard time trying to DCMA an international site that provided an english subbed stream, even if it weren't region locked.

I don't expect Crunchyroll or Funimation to touch Macross with a ten foot pole. There's already an international anime site streaming directly from Japan. It's called Daisuki. Several Satelight shows have streamed on it (Aquarion Logos, M3), so if they were to do it, i'd expect it to be on there.

LIke Gubaba says though, it's not gonna happen. If there's one thing that works well at HG it's their legal department.

[edit:] Conspiracy time: what if this is a testbed for Big West to gauge the interest in Macross Delta from different regions around the world due to Google Analytics? Maybe they try to figure out if it is a good idea to include English subtitles to their releases on a disc. Or even better, if interest is high enough, find a way to distribute it in other regions than Japan.

If we're going conspiracy theory we might as well go all out and say this is a way to gauge interest outside of Japan and finally curb stomp HG's illegal stranglehold on the word "Macross." Plenty involved with the production have expressly states their frustration.

If we're going conspiracy theory we might as well go all out and say this is a way to gauge interest outside of Japan and finally curb stomp HG's illegal stranglehold on the word "Macross." Plenty involved with the production have expressly states their frustration.

Of course this would be even better but I don't think Macross could be that popular to warrant such an expense in money and manpower. :p

By comparison, we've seen what happens when "visionaries" take the idols out of the equation altogether to make something more gritty and American.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-5-failed-robotech-sequels-1608968158

Man, that sidebar recommendation in the above link. :lol:

Thanks for the cautionary tales on the other end of the spectrum

Yeah, it would. They can't bring it over, and a number of people I've talked to appear pretty frustrated about it.

Interesting development! Would bw be up to going another round with hg for control of the ip outside Japan?

Free the ip! Free the ip! Free the ip!

On another note, what do you guys think of that quick scene before the var outbreak that seemed to show the person performing the song that triggers the 'personal fold disruption'? The scene seemed like it was set in a windermerian 'cathedral', with aesthetics similar to the drakens' cockpits. Throwback to MII?