azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm on Team Mirage.

yes! another on the team!

i'm betting Mirage is going to be Hayate's superior and Hayate's going to go "dyrl Hikaru disobey Misa's orders" on Mirage.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Am I the only one who sees that load of crap as what it is? I'm officially done with any new macross stuff. That was insulting. I guess Satelight likes money better too.

Oddly, this made me cheer a bit, and not in a way that agrees with this comment.

Also "Chuck" as in Chuck Yeager, record-setting test pilot and retired brigadier general in the USAF.

Graham

I still think that "Arad" on the website is a type and that it really is supposed to be "Arado". I mean, it's not without merit, considering that they also misspell Fallyna.

I think as long is there is a reasonable and logical in-universe explanation given at some point for the Walkure girls abilities, such as either advanced Ex-Gear suits and/or cybernetic implants, then I can accept them much more easily. In Frontier, especially in the Frontier movies, Grace and Emo-Belly-Button-Boy-Ranka's-Brother (forgot his name....hahah) had strength and agility similar to what we are seeing from the Walkure Girls.

As for the showy performance, magical girl transformation, dancing VF-31s etc, I'm guessing that part of Walkure/Delta's mission is not only to cure Var Syndrome through song, but also to keep up morale of the civilian population, hence the showmanship for morale boosting in these troubling times.

Still find it strange though as the Var Syndrome only affects Zentradi (that we know so far), you would think NUNS would order the Zentradi garrison to move away from the civilian population center as a proactive, protective measure.

Still find it strange though as the Var Syndrome only affects Zentradi (that we know so far), you would think NUNS would order the Zentradi garrison to move away from the civilian population center as a proactive, protective measure.

Weren't there humans affected by the Var Syndrome in the first scenes of the episode. Like the one who is eating the apple and the other who blows himself up in front of the truck. Or where they Zentradi?

Weren't there humans affected by the Var Syndrome in the first scenes of the episode. Like the one who is eating the apple and the other who blows himself up in front of the truck. Or where they Zentradi?

He was small, for all we know he could be a micronized Zentraedi.

That said, I don't think it's limited to Zentraedi either. There's no mention of anything about it in the episode and we don't see any tensions towards them.

Those apples keeps showing up more than once, I wonder if there is some message behind it or am I just over thinking it. It feels like one of Freyja suitors is most likely one of these Aerial Knights or at least thats the vibe that I got. Is there a possibility that the Aerial Knights worship the Bird-Human? Why would they waste energy on powering nonessentials like holograms, wouldn't you want to wisely focus most of the drones energy powering its shields as much as possible. Wouldn't it be dangerous to put on a show in the middle of a on going battle since it might attract civilian unless the Walkure also function as a safe zone. In order for the Walkure members to achieve those crazy acrobatics they need some type of EX-Gear, maybe those belts that they wear functions as one. How is it that purple hair girl was able to grab on to the VF with ease without dislocating her shoulder, even with a EX-Gear it has to hurt. Shouldn't the Aerial Knights be wearing a flight suit. There is no way that the blond haired pilot was able to get a decent look at the skull emblem considering how fast they were both going especial since both pilots were going at high speeds in opposite directions. Overall I say that the episode preview is decent. Hopefully they choose to release a double episode instead of just one when it starts airing.

Those apples keeps showing up more than once, I wonder if there is some message behind it or am I just over thinking it. It feels like one of Freyja suitors is most likely one of these Aerial Knights or at least thats the vibe that I got. Is there a possibility that the Aerial Knights worship the Bird-Human? Why would they waste energy on powering nonessentials like holograms, wouldn't you want to wisely focus most of the drones energy powering its shields as much as possible. Wouldn't it be dangerous to put on a show in the middle of a on going battle since it might attract civilian unless the Walkure also function as a safe zone. In order for the Walkure members to achieve those crazy acrobatics they need some type of EX-Gear, maybe those belts that they wear functions as one. How is it that purple hair girl was able to grab on to the VF with ease without dislocating her shoulder, even with a EX-Gear it has to hurt. Shouldn't the Aerial Knights be wearing a flight suit. There is no way that the blond haired pilot was able to get a decent look at the skull emblem considering how fast they were both going especial since both pilots were going at high speeds in opposite directions. Overall I say that the episode preview is decent. Hopefully they choose to release a double episode instead of just one when it starts airing.

They're shipped in from Winderemere, which could be a clue about something.

That said, this isn't the first time that Macross has used fruit (or food) as a plot element. The only difference is that we don't have the word "pine" in front of apple this time.

What I want to know is how does Walkure send their songs to the Var victims? Do they need to be in close range to do it like we saw with Mikumo when she rushed that Queadluun? But what about that scene where Messer was surrounded and all those Zentradi fell over despite none of the girls being nearby? I'm guessing the songs are more effective the closer the girls are and the Multi-Drones help transmit their songs.

Well, I can't imagine integrating the zentradi into human society was a remotely smooth process after their brothers were responsible for armageddon, and there is PROBABLY some very-recently-buried racial resentment you don't want to stir back up.

So... segregating the zentradi away from the proper humans because they MIGHT be prone to violence... that couldn't possibly upset any of the giant men with guns in the slightest. As long as they build separate facilities that are equal to the ones the proper humans enjoy, of course.

But what about the half-zentradi, and the quarter-zentradi, and so on? What percentage do they have to be before they stop being greenies, I mean vulnerable to var syndrome? Better to just treat anyone with ANY zentradi blood as if they were full-blooded zentradi and ban everyone with any zentradi in their family tree from entering the city limits. For their own protection, of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone TRY IT, but... it'd be a really bad idea.

Well, I can't imagine integrating the zentradi into human society was a remotely smooth process after their brothers were responsible for armageddon, and there is PROBABLY some very-recently-buried racial resentment you don't want to stir back up.

So... segregating the zentradi away from the proper humans because they MIGHT be prone to violence... that couldn't possibly upset any of the giant men with guns in the slightest. As long as they build separate facilities that are equal to the ones the proper humans enjoy, of course.

But what about the half-zentradi, and the quarter-zentradi, and so on? What percentage do they have to be before they stop being greenies, I mean vulnerable to var syndrome? Better to just treat anyone with ANY zentradi blood as if they were full-blooded zentradi and ban everyone with any zentradi in their family tree from entering the city limits. For their own protection, of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone TRY IT, but... it'd be a really bad idea.

Well yeah Leon who was Earth's chaperon warned Glass it is politically incorrect to say racist things about the Zentradi. Not to mention much of the voters has Zentradi blood in them. Nobody wants a political shitstorm.

Those who are bloody asses to Zentradi have already formed their own fleet or fleets. Macross Galaxy despite being funded by General Galaxy, who is at the cutting edge thanks to Zentradi employees, didn't really have a Zentradi population. And they have a shitty human rights record which is why the rest of the NUN was wary of them.

On the apples yeah you have to wonder if Windermere is exporting a biological agent allowing Vars syndrome. Walkure has something called Fold Receptors to help alleviate Vars.

On another note I have to wonder if freighter companies get penalized for illegal human trafficking. Yeah it wasn't the pirate looking dudes fault Freyja snuck in.

Either that or they don't want cops getting on their case for a reason.

Did a frame by frame of the intro. The guy who blows up the bus doesn't look Zentraedi, he doesn't have the pointed ears that characters with Zentraedi blood have had since Frontier.

More importantly, there are more normal looking people shown as affected by Var syndrome than the one lone Zentraedi marine.

I'm not buying Var syndrome affecting those of Zentraedi descent exclusively at this point. If anything, the outbreak in episode 1 affecting the marines smells more like a specifically targetted attack seeing as how it coincided with the Aerial Knights attacking as well.

Wasn't it stated in the first trailer that the VAR syndrome breaks out in the entire galaxy? If so I don't think that apples have to do something with it....

....well maybe if all apples are inherently evil. :p

Maybe pineapples make you go suicidal where normal apples turn you into a berserker. :D

Edited by Scyla

Did a frame by frame of the intro. The guy who blows up the bus doesn't look Zentraedi, he doesn't have the pointed ears that characters with Zentraedi blood have had since Frontier.

Ranka doesn't have elf ears. Aisha is a full blooded Zentradi in Macross 30 with non-pointy ears.

Also, the main guy Hayate, does not seem enamored with Walkure, any more than a typical mech-head would be; so I think he may serve as a foil for the cutesy idol groups... a stand-in for all the guys not into magical girls.

The Winadamarians (?) certainly are no fans of the girl group, and I bet many fans will be rooting for them to blow Walkure to bits. I know I was.

I think you might be fooling yourself a bit. The guy who spent the entirety of his first scene dancing around in a giant mech and who comments that one of four Valks timing is "off" when they come in for the little dancing/pose scene doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to turn down all of that.

Ranka doesn't have elf ears. Aisha is a full blooded Zentradi in Macross 30 with non-pointy ears.

There's still the fact that there's totally nothing said about Var syndrome affecting only the Zentraedi, nor is there even any indication that it specifically targets them. Even the scene where they're discussing the 10 cases of the Syndrome in Shahal don't make any mention of it.

I think you might be fooling yourself a bit. The guy who spent the entirety of his first scene dancing around in a giant mech and who comments that one of four Valks timing is "off" when they come in for the little dancing/pose scene doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to turn down all of that.

He did seem kind of unimpressed by the whole spectacle, but maybe that's just in relation to Freyja going nuts. Even if he clearly does like to dance whether or not he actually realizes it.

Clearly he's going to be pretty good at flying a valk, but he might not be terribly into it.

There's that shot floating around of Mirage grabbing him by the collar lookin' super pissed. Rather than being pissed about him getting in a valk at the beginning of the series and saving the day, per usual, she's find out he could have saved the day and is pissed he didn't.

Edited by Rbstr

There's still the fact that there's totally nothing said about Var syndrome affecting only the Zentraedi, nor is there even any indication that it specifically targets them. Even the scene where they're discussing the 10 cases of the Syndrome in Shahal don't make any mention of it.

I think this is a very good point. The Zentraedi were mentioned because the Aerial Knights main attack was concentrated around their base. At least, that was implied by the subs. If that translation is close, then the Var syndrome outbreak that occurred right before the knights' assault was probably strategic. And that could mean that the Var syndrome is more of a fold(?) weapon that works on all living targets. Similar to how the Protodevlin's spiritia weapon worked on all living targets.

Pretty nasty, spooky stuff if true.

I think this is a very good point. The Zentraedi were mentioned because the Aerial Knights main attack was concentrated around their base. At least, that was implied by the subs. If that translation is close, then the Var syndrome outbreak that occurred right before the knights' assault was probably strategic. And that could mean that the Var syndrome is more of a fold(?) weapon that works on all living targets. Similar to how the Protodevlin's spiritia weapon worked on all living targets.

Pretty nasty, spooky stuff if true.

It could be a revisit of the whole "music = mind control" concept from Macross Plus.

It could be a revisit of the whole "music = mind control" concept from Macross Plus.

Right, and on a much greater scale. It's interesting that for Macross Delta they go as far as to animate how things are changing at a cellular level (showing the transition from calm to chaos/rage). I wonder if that was merely for affect or if it will come into play as a plot point later on?

Has anyone pointed out all the aeronautical references in the names?

Aside from the obvious Immelmann reference, I've also spotted the following.

Mikumo Guynemer - Georges Guynemer (French WW1 ace)

Kaname Buccaneer - Backburn Buccaneer (RN jet bomber)

Makina Nakajima - Nakajima Aircraft Company

Reina Prowler - EA-6B Prowler (USN electronic warfare jet from)

Chuck Mustang - P-51 Mustang

Messer Ihlefeld - Herbert Ihlefeld (German WW2 ace)

Arad Molders - Werner Molders (top German WW2 ace)

Messer's first name is probably a reference to Messerschmitt, the legendary German aircraft designer/company.

I’ve seen Macross Delta and wanted a few days to let it sink in, to avoid any knee-jerk reaction. Having done so, I have to give Kawamori and Co. credit for changing up Macross despite the fact that I’m not really connecting with this new series.

I see a lot of hate for Macross Delta online, which I suppose is just the reality of the internet. I certainly don’t think it deserves such a reaction, though given the demographics of the internet’s loudest, I can’t say I’m surprised. But I can honestly say that if Delta weren’t a Macross production, it’s not something I would seek out. Even for an eclectic viewer like myself, I’ve found the first episode of Macross Delta too far afield of my tastes. I wasn’t laughing when the show prompted, I wasn’t entertained by the music, I found the way the story was presented unengaging and sadly I’ve little invested in any of the characters, save perhaps Freyja and Hayate. And I have to say I find Freyja’s passion more compelling than Hayate’s apathy. Of course I'm committed to watching it all, but not afraid to say I’m a little underwhelmed thus far.

What I did like in Macross Delta was the character animation. I never liked the blocky, stacatto character animation in Macross Frontier and Macross Zero; Macross Delta feels much more fluid and just more attractive. I think the CGI animation is in top form here in Delta (though the detailing and textures look rough) and I enjoyed the staging and motion of all the CGI work, especially Hayate’s Destroid Work-dance sequence (a clever way to show us he’s clearly talented controlling a mecha by way of a fun sequence that also introduces Freyja). For mechanical design, the show borrows heavily from Macross Frontier (not necessarily a bad thing), but the VF-31 Siegfried and SV-262 Draken III looked just as good as the promotional materials. Really liking those designs, but damn I want to see the Battroid mode for that Draken III J

Looking critically at the first episode from a filmmaking perspective, I am somewhat puzzled by the script and production choices in Macross Delta. The first episode throws everything at you with almost no script economy, exposition or design. Both the setting/plot and all the mecha/idol/alien elements have almost no context to anyone who isn’t a Macross fan (or at least has a passing familiarity with sci-fi/mecha anime). Even as a Macross fan, I found many of the elements vague. Macross Delta has all the benchmarks that make Macross, but it feels lacking in sufficient context. Strange creative choices.

I also find myself intrigued by the setting for Macross Delta, in what appears to be another galaxy entirely? I almost feel like this other galaxy could be an intentional production choice rather than a story choice. Removing the setting so far from the Milky Way, could this be a way of conveniently divorcing Delta from the main Macross stories? Could this also be the reason Macross Delta features so little context and exposition, to help it stand on its own and force the viewers to learn all the background anew? I’m curious the reasons.

Hmmm...

Just wondering... What's the chance of Hayate NOT becoming a Valkyrie pilot?

Maybe he becomes a producer for the Walkure girls?