azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

Like Star Wars, apparently this is what the fans want, judging from the poll. Unfortunately, for those of us who were with the franchise since the beginning, it is no longer enough to have the valks+music+love triangle and expect us all to accept everything at face value. At its core, Macross has been about the survivors of humanity banding together in the face of impossible odds, and persevering. This installment seems like a shameless cash grab with none of the depth or soul that made the initial series so great. Magical girls, phoned in Valk designs and crappy j-pop does not make a Macross series. Try again, guys. Try harder.

Speak for yourself. I've followed Macross since I first discovered it in 1985, and I'm perfectly happy with this first episode. Hell, I know quite a few people that consider the songs in the original Macross series as crappy J-Pop.

Wow. I've never really disliked a Macross series until now.

Unfortunately, for those of us who were with the franchise since the beginning, it is no longer enough to have the valks+music+love triangle and expect us all to accept everything at face value. At its core, Macross has been about the survivors of humanity banding together in the face of impossible odds, and persevering.

As someone who was with the franchise from the beginning, I reached very different conclusions about it than you did, so maybe you just phrased that statement poorly. It's one thing to dislike the show; I disliked Frontier from the get-go, mecha designs and story and all, and only very slowly warmed up to it. But it's another thing - that is to say, fallacious - to claim to speak for an entire subsection of the community.

EDIT:

I wonder if Kawamori and team will have the cojones to kill off an idol singer though. It's something they've never done in any of these shows. Mikumo could shape up to be a Roy figure for Freyja.

It'd be a break from the norm, for sure. Though I suppose they got close to it in Frontier. It'd have to be done smartly, of course, and not just for shock value.

Edited by kajnrig

Maybe you have to be either a fanatic about mecha or a fanatic about cutie girl anime to enjoy it. Your casual I'm just in it for Macross isn't likely to be all over it. I couldn't even appreciate the animation. It looks low in quality compared to Frontier. I wasn't a fan of Frontier but it did look fabulous.

I'm neither and I liked it.

Maybe you have to hate fun to dislike it?

Guest davidwhangchoi

i watched 5 mins of it and decided to wait for subs so i don't ruin it for myself. i just saw veins popping out of an apple and guy.

In case anyone is wondering, there were a total of 391 shots in this edit of the first episode, but in the storyboard there are actually 450 -- which means that we are missing a bit more stuff that comes at the end. That was not the actual end of the episode! The big reveal will be in a few months time.

btw was there any mention abt the series airing dates next?

April.

post-1318-0-76028600-1451637952_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-14722100-1451637971_thumb.jpg

From the Prologue the NUN has really become the Stellar Republic 2.0 with how far they have explored and settled. Also integrating races they've met along the way.

It seems the Windermere are a result of a union between the planet's natives and the the 101st Windermere fleet.

The 100th Ragna fleet on the other hand settled Ragna and expanded from there. Perhaps integrating upon meeting Chuck's race along the way.

What we are seeing is something hinted in Macross Chronicle. Planets clashing due to their unique cultures.

It may be the Kingdom of Wind wants to ceded from the NUN. It wouldn't be an issue as Earth doesn't have much say on how fleets and planets are run anymore but the Kingdom of Wind's Windermere may have aggressive nationalism thus attacking other planets with the Var syndrome.

But Ragna using history as their guide has resorted to music to combat the Var syndrome. They know the Var syndrome is artificial due to the Fold wave reactions but they didn't know the culprit.

Now the Kingdom of Wind has gone in the open to silence the Wulkure who are combating the Var syndrome.

Edited by RedWolf

In case anyone is wondering, there were a total of 391 shots in this edit of the first episode, but in the storyboard there are actually 450 -- which means that we are missing a bit more stuff that comes at the end. That was not the actual end of the episode! The big reveal will be in a few months time.

April.

Ah it would be re-shown again in april with the extended cuts? awesome!...was already liking the end for this..

post-15116-0-74841100-1451638723_thumb.jpg

what an opening for ikenai borderline! B))

Like Star Wars, apparently this is what the fans want, judging from the poll. Unfortunately, for those of us who were with the franchise since the beginning, it is no longer enough to have the valks+music+love triangle and expect us all to accept everything at face value. At its core, Macross has been about the survivors of humanity banding together in the face of impossible odds, and persevering. This installment seems like a shameless cash grab with none of the depth or soul that made the initial series so great. Magical girls, phoned in Valk designs and crappy j-pop does not make a Macross series. Try again, guys. Try harder.

I disagree. Having a tendency to over-analyze things, I think there are enough hints scattered throughout this episode that that point to some shady things happening behind the scenes, but probably not Frontier levels of scheming (yet).

Damn, RedWolf beat me to it. Totally agree with what was said.

On a side note, hope Delta finishes the job Macross 30 started and goes full Norse on us this Spring.

Edited by Einherjar

Wow. I've never really disliked a Macross series until now. I even enjoyed 7, but this is too much. I may re-visit this when the series is complete, but I've seen nothing so far that changes my initial opinion about this addition to the Macross franchise.

Go watch more Robotech because Macross isn't for you.

The guys mentioned in the podcast that Ep2 will have a comletely different tone to it.

Lets wait and see how that pans out.

I guess many fans *myself including* were not expecting it to be so different,

Ep1 kinda feels like sailermoon peppered with some Macross just to let us know it's still Macross

I just want more Drakens

Just saw it earlier via YouTube. All I can say is I'm getting too old for this thing. It's definitely not my generation's Macross.

I like the animation and dog fights though. But the Sailor Moon / AKB48 vibe and music, not that much. Looking forward to see more Valkyrie actions in the future.

Phobos, on 31 Dec 2015 - 23:54, said:snapback.png

Definitely not speaking for me on this one. I saw SDF Macross in 1984, and have, for the most part, been a fan ever since. It's those elements that make it what it is, and what ties every series, OVA, and movie together. I know nostalgia has a lot to do with this, but I think a lot of it is just the aging fans. Most who fans who give up trying to adapt to newer anime styles (this is in general) seem to have a hard time liking newer titles as the tides shift and change. I had to struggle with that a few years ago myself, but in settling things and actually seeing it for what it is, I have no problems with it.

As for my own thoughts on this first episode of Delta, I'm really excited about it. There were some short areas where the picture quality seemed to need more clean up, but overall, it seems to be on par for a good series. I'm interested to see how the episodes will change, but so far, it's a fast ride with lots to look forward to. There's no point in me trying to compare it to the original Macross or anything after that. They've all had their own evolution process, and each one has been very different from he previous. I'm happy to go on this journey once again.

From the Prologue the NUN has really become the Stellar Republic 2.0 with how far they have explored and settled. Also integrating races they've met along the way.

It seems the Windermere are a result of a union between the planet's natives and the the 101st Windermere fleet.

The 100th Ragna fleet on the other hand settled Ragna and expanded from there. Perhaps integrating upon meeting Chuck's race along the way.

What we are seeing is something hinted in Macross Chronicle. Planets clashing due to their unique cultures.

It may be the Kingdom of Wind wants to ceded from the NUN. It wouldn't be an issue as Earth doesn't have much say on how fleets and planets are run anymore but the Kingdom of Wind's Windermere may have aggressive nationalism thus attacking other planets with the Var syndrome.

But Ragna using history as their guide has resorted to music to combat the Var syndrome. They know the Var syndrome is artificial due to the Fold wave reactions but they didn't know the culprit.

Now the Kingdom of Wind has gone in the open to silence the Wulkure who are combating the Var syndrome.

Whoah, hold your horses there cowboy.

Speculation and theories are fine but please be sure to label them as such. All we really have to go on at this point is the map at the beginning of the show. Most of your comment is what you think or speculate will happen. Please label this clearly so that fellow commenters can distinguish speculation from what is actually stated outright in the show.

This helps to avoid confusion and misunderstandings further down the track.

Regarding the animation, yes, it's pretty clear that corners were cut in the less important scenes, e.g shots of the dock workers.

As for the idol theme, it's an extension of the Sheryl Nome extravagance that started in Macross Frontier. Only, instead of concerts and dogfights being separate entities taking place at different times, they are now commingled. Opposed to simply hijacking/flooding ships' monitors and communication airwaves in Minmay's time, the drones serve the role of bringing the concert venue infrastructure to the battlefield, allowing the whole performance atmosphere itself to become an active weapon and distraction. Sure, Macross 7's Sound Force were active players, but they weren't able put on a show; Walkure can, with their drones. It would be interesting to see what kind of show Freya experiences with her synesthesia. What I like about Walkure as a unit is that they're frontline "combatants" themselves, apart from the Delta pilots (unlike the Jamming Birds); while their role so far appears primarily defensive (protecting the citizens), Mikumo shows herself to be an attacker, too, subduing a Queadluun one-on-one with the help of drones. It would be nice to see the other members of Walkure be able to take on offensive roles individually as well.

It was humorous seeing Hayate comment on Mirage's performance not exactly being up to par with what her lineage would suggest. It's also interesting seeing the new type of aliens being brought into the lore, from Macross 7, Dynamite 7, Frontier, and now Delta. Would I like a Macross series that hearkens back to storytelling more in line with SDF: Macross? Sure. Nonetheless, overall, this was a fun episode.

Edited by veffidas

And with micro-forcefield projectors being a thing, it seems safe to assume their glowing "auras" are a personal protective field(Maybe powered by song energy? Is Dr. Chiba getting royalties for this?).

I thought they were personal pin-point barriers.

One burning question I have is if they've decided whether Freya's hair appendage/organ is attached from the top of the heart or the bottom. Much of the animation seems to suggest it's from the top, but it definitely looks like it's attached at the bottom tip towards the end of the episode. I'd like them to clear that up for the continuity.

Edited by veffidas

Lol did someone in this thread really claim that Frontier had better animation than this? I mean I loved Frontier but come the F on!

I don't think I've read exactly that, but I do think Frontier's art and animation were more impressive for 2008 standards than this was for 2015 standards. I feel that Satelights blending of CGI and 2D doesn't look too organic and could be better for what is their flagship product. Just my 0.02.

It doesn't detract from viewing pleasure though. Tons of fun!

One burning question I have is if they've decided whether Freya's hair appendage/organ is attached from the top of the heart or the bottom. Much of the animation seems to suggest it's from the top, but it definitely looks like it's attached at the bottom tip towards the end of the episode. I'd like them to clear that up for the continuity.

Looks to me like it extends, you can see it moving outwards in the final scene.

I don't think I've read exactly that, but I do think Frontier's art and animation were more impressive for 2008 standards than this was for 2015 standards. I feel that Satelights blending of CGI and 2D doesn't look too organic and could be better for what is their flagship product. Just my 0.02.

It doesn't detract from viewing pleasure though. Tons of fun!

The CG action was definitely impressive for 2008. The 2D animation, on the other hand... Well, Kyoto Animation had raised the bar so impossibly high with Haruhi, that there was no way Macross Frontier could compete.

Looks to me like it extends, you can see it moving outwards in the final scene.

The CG action was definitely impressive for 2008. The 2D animation, on the other hand... Well, Kyoto Animation had raised the bar so impossibly high with Haruhi, that there was no way Macross Frontier could compete.

And they still have that bar insanely high. Euphonium is just a visual delight. It's crazy a TV series can look so good.

Interesting bold direction to take the franchise. At times, I was fascinated, bored, or somewhere in between. The one thing that struck me while watching is that my two girls (5 and 7) might be more interested in it than I apparently am (got a big '"Precure" with Valkyries' vibe from it).

Nevertheless, I like that the producers brought back the Zentraadi as antagonists (they don't appear to be the main ones, but hopefully they'll keep appearing!), and that they're using South-West Asia as an image source.

Is it just me or does the intro showing the Emigrant Fleets suggest that the story is taking place in one of the satellite galaxies around the Milky Way? E.g. the Large Magellanic Cloud.

Yes, they did location hunting in Dubai. ;)

Excellent! Thanks for the info Renato. It will be interesting to see if they stay on Al Shahal or move to another location especially if the Al Shala see their city become a battlefield. How will the citizens react to the Var afflicted?

And they still have that bar insanely high. Euphonium is just a visual delight. It's crazy a TV series can look so good.

Exactly!! Euphonium is a masterpiece, and everyone who is a fan of animation should watch it. There are so many visual nuances going on in every seemingly-mundane shot of that anime, it leaves you speechless.

Loved every second of it.

This I highly agree with! Euphonium was excellent. (Season 2 & a movie on the way!)

I'm with David on this one, want to wait for proper Subtitles and then watch it all the way through before I make a real opinion. I will say this, the SV-262 is one Lethal Ass piece of Mecha, tore that fleet to pieces!

Is there an English fansub yet by chance?