azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

The interesting thing being that Mikumo is mentioned as being a part of Chaos as well.

So, is Chaos basically the Anaheim Of Macross that funds it's in Valk Squad and controls Walkure?

So many tantalizing mysteries :-)

It doesnt help that mikumo's background is still shrouded in mystery, adding weight that she could be engineered/controlled by chaos in some way.

Mulder and scully territory here.

Nice catch!

So now I guess the big mystery is what exactly Chaos is.

Interesting.

That is the spelling of Chaos in Greek, so I would suspect the erroneous Japanese spelling is due to unfamiliarity with the Greek language and an attempt to phonetically spell the word in Japanese.

I keep thinking of how much of a challenge the Eureka 7's cast had with pronouncing "Eureka" (another Greek word). Only one voice actress pronounced it correctly in the entire series and her character appeared for only two episodes... I can only assume no one was able to make the connection between that name and the Japanese equivalent sounds of "Yuri-Ka"...

Chaos, should be pronounced "Kay-Oss", so I guess we'll see.

Edited by Zinjo

Well isn't ケイオス phonetically closer to the proper (well, the English) pronunciation of "Chaos" than カオス is? I wonder why it's normally spelled the latter way

One is based on the spelling. The other on pronunciation. There are no hard or fast rules when it comes to katakana. Imported words can often have multiple spellings.

One is based on the spelling. The other on pronunciation. There are no hard or fast rules when it comes to katakana. Imported words can often have multiple spellings.

Ah that's interesting. I figured the katakana was always based on pronunciation. Didn't know it's based on spelling sometimes too.

Actually come to think of it, I have noticed that with the name "Mary." I've seen it in katakana as both メアリー and マリー

Edited by Raptor One

sometimes the katakana is pronounced differently from English because the pronunciation of the word was taken from a language besides English. カオスwas taken from how it was pronounced in ancient Greek, not the "correct" English pronunciation.just sayin. Edited by cyde01

sometimes the katakana is pronounced differently from English because the pronunciation of the word was taken from a language besides English. カオスwas taken from how it was pronounced in ancient Greek, not the "correct" English pronunciation.just sayin.

Yep that certainly happens on many occasions as well. Completely correct :-)

sometimes the katakana is pronounced differently from English because the pronunciation of the word was taken from a language besides English. カオスwas taken from how it was pronounced in ancient Greek, not the "correct" English pronunciation.just sayin.

We'll I've studied ancient Greek so I have a bit of experience with the language... ;)

We'll I've studied ancient Greek so I have a bit of experience with the language... ;)

¯\_ :unsure:_/¯

sounds like hau-os in modern greek to me.. but definitely not hay-os.

In all honestly these characters are ridiculously dumb...

The Walkure.... Seriously... Macross Could just be Macross? They had to go into the Magical girl Genre? They Nuked the Fridge even more with their backup dancing Valkyries in the Aerial Knights... Seriously... Sound Force was already pushing it. These magical girls who can control God like drones with their minds, with shields powerful enough to take heavy direct energy weapons... holographic systems... and omni-direction flight controls... Yet these tiny things and there super shields aren't used to protect say the VALKYRIES!!!! Or say the entire city that gets leveled during episode one? Wouldn't that be a better use of this god like technology... To have them simply form shields around all the buildings? Not be glorified holographic cameras for the Sailor Scouts.... So what else can we say about the stupid of the Walkure's... Oh yes... they can fly, float, jump at insane distances wearing sheer skin tight clothing... Mind you that this stuff has to be magical... For they can magically appear out of no where with bonus Sailor Moon transformation sequence... So I am guessing it has its own holographic systems, propulsion, communications system microphones, and they are also a G-suit... Why a G-suit you might ask... Because... They ride Valkyrie's like roman chariots... Yes my friends... They ride on top of them with easy, as they fly in all three modes... In combat.... Lets not get into the fact that the Walkures are a mix of every single sick Japanese sex fetish put together.....

Macross Delta isn't Macross... It was Sailor Moon on a very bad acid trip... How can anyone think that this crap is okay for Macross? Out of all the BAD things Macross Delta could have done.. They did them all with the stupidity of the Walkures....

I think it is great. I has everything a good Macross show needs. Idols, Mecha and Triangles. ^_^ I'm looking not looking forward to the shift of tone that Kawamori hinted at during the presentation of the preview episode. :)

Edited by Scyla

The Walkure.... Seriously... Macross Could just be Macross? They had to go into the Magical girl Genre? They Nuked the Fridge even more with their backup dancing Valkyries in the Aerial Knights... Seriously... Sound Force was already pushing it. These magical girls who can control God like drones with their minds, with shields powerful enough to take heavy direct energy weapons... holographic systems... and omni-direction flight controls... Yet these tiny things and there super shields aren't used to protect say the VALKYRIES!!!! Or say the entire city that gets leveled during episode one? Wouldn't that be a better use of this god like technology... To have them simply form shields around all the buildings? Not be glorified holographic cameras for the Sailor Scouts.... So what else can we say about the stupid of the Walkure's... Oh yes... they can fly, float, jump at insane distances wearing sheer skin tight clothing... Mind you that this stuff has to be magical... For they can magically appear out of no where with bonus Sailor Moon transformation sequence... So I am guessing it has its own holographic systems, propulsion, communications system microphones, and they are also a G-suit... Why a G-suit you might ask... Because... They ride Valkyrie's like roman chariots... Yes my friends... They ride on top of them with easy, as they fly in all three modes... In combat.... Lets not get into the fact that the Walkures are a mix of every single sick Japanese sex fetish put together.....

Macross Delta isn't Macross... It was Sailor Moon on a very bad acid trip... How can anyone think that this crap is okay for Macross? Out of all the BAD things Macross Delta could have done.. They did them all with the stupidity of the Walkures....

Again, the appeal to tradition logical fallacy committed by Delta haters. While I think Walkure is ridiculous, I am looking forward to Delta for the mecha action, as with any Macross series. Just because magical girls suck (and yes, I am not a fan of magical girls) doesn't mean Delta sucks as a whole, so you also committed the fallacy of composition.

Yes, of course you are entitled to your own opinion on Delta, what I wrote is just what I think of your post (and of Delta as well).

In all honesty in this day and age of darker shows like Jessica Jones, Generation Kill and so on with less holliwood and more reality I wish they could do a Macross that was like Yukikaze. No clowns, no over the top rubbish, no singing, no sex fetishes, just realistic soliders fighting realistic scenarios.

In all honesty in this day and age of darker shows like Jessica Jones, Generation Kill and so on with less holliwood and more reality I wish they could do a Macross that was like Yukikaze. No clowns, no over the top rubbish, no singing, no sex fetishes, just realistic soliders fighting realistic scenarios.

More grit from a franchise that started as a parody to Gundam? Why even bother?

I'm gonna go on a good guess that you've never watched any Macross, or you'd realize that these are all elements that have been in other Macross series before. Of course you don't have to like it, but your post seems to be more like you're fishing for an argument based on nothing but opinion. In your ever so hilarious comment "Walkures are a mix of every single sick Japanese sex fetish put together", I am curious what facts helped you come to this conclusion.

Ugh, sorry Tochiro, I'll keep that over there.

Edited by Jasonc

The Walkures are absolutely ridiculous, they are cheap, and not Macross. The Walkures turns the idol side of the Macross Series into a marketing sellout. The changes to the series Shoji Kawamori, makes him look lazy... You spice up Macross by throwing a Magical Girl team at the show? Marketing wise, sure they make money though the market is pretty much flooded, with Jewelpet: Magical Change, Go! Princes PreCure, Cute High Earth, Glitter Force, and the billion others...

Dancing Valkyries... Is this the Mecha action anyone was hoping for? Them milking the SV-262 transformations.... The VF-31 Siegfried is a modified VF-25 Messiah.... With Studio Nue using CG modeling for all Valkyries they should be able to put together more than two Valkyries with Fast Packs... Macross 7 Had a great variety of Valkyrie's throughout the series from the VF-1 to the VF-22, and they were slaving it old school with hand drawing it all... Macross Frontier I get it, first use of the technology... I love the VF-25 Messiah it was the proof of concept of the technology... With all of this said we get a VF-31... The SV-262, looks bad ass... Not saying two Valkyries is simply not good enough... I am fine... But if you are going to go out of there way to plaster us with some mahou shoujo... Why not make a couple more Valkyries... If you're working to make some money selling a few more models couldn't of hurt....

To disconnect the travesty that is the Walkures, I don't think can be done... The series has been knee caped by their magical girl, boob bouncing, transformation sequences, shenanigans.... It's only chance of recovery is one hell of a story... Epic Space Combat... Maybe a deeper or darker side to the main characters... Does Freyja Wion really have to be this naive innocent (Ranka Lee 2.0) type of character. Maybe she isn't as naive or innocent as she looks. With a self animating heart tumor thing in her hair maybe not. Also with the stereo typical emo like, "I don't give a crap so that makes me look edgy" lead male role Hayate being some closeted dancer... I don't know how you can save that... All I see is a lot more Dancing Valkyries... Next thing you will see is Shoji Kawamori consulting with Susan Stroman for the choreography of the dancing Valkyrie short video.... Sigh.... Macross Delta has stumbled out of the gate but it doesn't mean it can't finish strong... A lot of promise with the Ver Syndrome story line, a possible side effect from that happened during the Frontier incident. Also a possible return of a Anti Unification group, So I guess a Anti-NUN-Spacy Group. From the production notes, they are organized as some kind of Monarchy, which doesn't make much sense being against Big Government organizations yet being a monarch... Maybe it isn't a absolute Monarch...

Delta can still be a good series, even if it has to drag the Walkures... If Kawamori wanted to really really bring in Magical girls, he should of looked more to Puella Magi Madoka Magica or the Miraculous Ladybug... Not Sailor Moon, or PreCure.

I also know my English isn't very good, sorry.

Yukikaze? You mean the anime where the main character wants to sleep with his airplane and fights JAAAAAAAAAM?

To think that Japan should Americanize their show is smoking something good. Japan is one of the most Xenophobic Nations in the world... You might as well ask them to apologize to China for the Rape of Nanking. You can not remove music from Macross, it is fundamentally part of it's DNA.

I'm gonna go on a good guess that you've never watched any Macross, or you'd realize that these are all elements that have been in other Macross series before. Of course you don't have to like it, but your post seems to be more like you're fishing for an argument based on nothing but opinion. In your ever so hilarious comment "Walkures are a mix of every single sick Japanese sex fetish put together", I am curious what facts helped you come to this conclusion.

Ugh, sorry Tochiro, I'll keep that over there.

When was magical girls ever apart of Macross?

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross:

Minmay Lynn... An America Got Talent style, zero to hero Music idol who has an idolized idea of what the Stardom would bring, but not the pressure or heartache that comes with it. Her messy and failed relationship with Lynn Kaifunn... Even her relationship with Hikaru wasn't perfect. No Magical Girls.

Macross Plus:

Three Childhood friends meet up and if things aren't bad enough a psychotic AI thrusts them into one final epic showdown on who truly loved Myung Fang Lone. Great series... Still no Magical Girls.

Macross 7:

Well... There are no real love triangles... Fire Bomber and the Sound Force work together to stop the Protodeviln from making a Spiritia Farm... Spiritia which brings in an entire concept of Shinto "Life Force or Ki" or if you are more into a western reference of a soul. Which brings a religious aspect to Macross that was interesting. No love triangles and still no Magical Girls...

Macross Frontier:

A tip of the hat to the 25 plus year history of Macross. (Well other than totally ignoring that whole Spiritia, protodevilin stuff.) You have your innocent Minmay style character... A moody teenager male lead, and a... Super Star Music Idol to complete the triangle. Now to make Frontier they had to revisit and fiddle with the timeline... No problem Macross Zero was good... Shockingly there were no Magical girls in either Frontier or Zero....

So lets see here.... Are Magical Girls in Macross.... Lets see maybe Sound Force but how many named members are there? Mylene Flare Jenius.... and.......

So magical girls with magical god like super drones.... Have always been in Macross? Hmmmm Are you sure you have watched Macross... It doesn't sound like you watched Macross? It sounds like you want to blindly defend Macross Delta. Or maybe you are just into big bouncing boobs, and don't care about the series integrity.

If the Walkures sat rear of a two seater Valkyrie like Sound Force.... Or flew there own and shot those silly speaker bullets, with holographic drones projecting silly dancers... That's fine... I could live with it, it would fit well within the series.

But magical girls who fly, float, jump tall builds, control super god like drones with hand gesture or thought, ignore absolute physics an ride on a Valkyrie like a chariot... they even have transformation sequences.... No... That is and never was Macross. To say is was, is an absolute lie.

If the Walkures sat rear of a two seater Valkyrie like Sound Force.... Or flew there own and shot those silly speaker bullets, with holographic drones projecting silly dancers... That's fine... I could live with it, it would fit well within the series.

But magical girls who fly, float, jump tall builds, control super god like drones with hand gesture or thought, ignore absolute physics an ride on a Valkyrie like a chariot... they even have transformation sequences.... No... That is and never was Macross. To say is was, is an absolute lie.

That is the appeal to tradition fallacy again as you think magical girls should not belong in Macross just because previous series did not have them. I think including magical girls in Macross is a crazy idea but of course the creators are just trying something new to Macross.

That is the appeal to tradition fallacy again as you think magical girls should not belong in Macross just because previous series did not have them. I think including magical girls in Macross is a crazy idea but of course the creators are just trying something new to Macross.

So what you are implying is that Macross simply can't stand on there own, that pandering the mahou shoujo crowd is what Macross needs? This has nothing to do with making a good story and everything to do with going after the 13-24 year old woman's market in Japan. Anytime you sacrifice the DNA of a story to pander to an outside audience isn't clever or trying something new... It is being lazy. There is nothing new about Magical Girls... Do you think Macross could do anything that this flooded market hasn't already done? They aren't even a good Magical Girl team.... I am sure if some effort was made Shoji Kawamori and Studio Nue could of come up with something other than... the totally uninspiring Magical Girls, that ride on Valyries like chariots.... Drones that break everything known to the technology of Macross... That do insane things that if can be used on a tiny drone... WHY THE HELL NOT ON A VALKYRIE? The studio was to busy trying to make the Magical Girl genre work in the Macross Universe they ignored everything about Macross to ram in the Walkures.

There is nothing new about magical girls... They've been around since 1953 or 1962 depending on who you ask. Fine, don't go traditional.... You can still do something original and new....

Here is something off the top of my head.

The NUN-Spacy aren't the only one with Songstress Forces... That it is in fact more of a mercenary gig... Idols don't just make millions singing, but work with PMC in the on going Ver Syndrome pandemic. Want to weaken a rival colony? Want to have a hostile take over of your rivals company? You can higher these Songstress to cause or stop outbreaks and hurt or help a company or colony... Even do targeted attacks... The NUN Spacy simply doesn't have the cash to get the best Songstresses and people are losing confidence in the fragile Unified Government. Private Military Companies gain more power, as colonies require protection from not just other colony but from the Ver Syndrome. The worst off are non-settled colonies, with limited resources in space they become targets to pirates and un-cultured Zentradi. With the NUN-Spacy on the verge of being dissolved they put together a rookie team of Songstress the Wulkures... Not the greats group of girls but ones with the heart and morals to do what is right and not give into the money the other Songstresses get.

Together they face off against these Mercenary Songstress and together they can take an individual down. It's hard, the group was thrown together they aren't all friends... And they also have a target on their backs families at risk... The team of Valkyrie pilots assigned to protect them are elite, but desertion in the NUN-Spacy is at record levels and they are running into old friends putting stress on them. The Anti-Unification Forces are becoming more organized begin to work together to stop and kill the Wulkures... and they can... they do... maybe some do die.. The team must face the dangers of an all out Civil War within the NUN-Spacy and everyone is relying on them to stop it. That is a lot of pressure.... They don't always have to be riding like Sound Force... Maybe they come in on the Valkyries but disembark Ranka Lee Style like in Macross Frontier Episode "Fastest Delivery" Hell let them have shields, but they aren't there for these non combat civilians to use, but to keep them alive, because they have far more value than random person on the street. Maybe some can fly in Valkyries or even pilot... in support. But NO riding like a chariot bullshit or magical flying around and leaping from building to building.

It would also be cool because you can do dueling songs between the Wulkures and Mercenary Songstresses or Mercenary groups. It's just not young up and coming star, but a group... The social dynamics of something like that is writing gold... All of which fits into the Macross DNA. If I can pull this out of my head in a few minutes and it is original and sounds a hell of a lot better than shoving Magic Girls into the series it shows that Studio Nue or Kawamori or both might have just sold out Macross in the name marketing to the Magical Girl audience.

Here is something off the top of my head.

The NUN-Spacy aren't the only one with Songstress Forces... That it is in fact more of a mercenary gig... Idols don't just make millions singing, but work with PMC in the on going Ver Syndrome pandemic. Want to weaken a rival colony? Want to have a hostile take over of your rivals company? You can higher these Songstress to cause or stop outbreaks and hurt or help a company or colony... Even do targeted attacks... The NUN Spacy simply doesn't have the cash to get the best Songstresses and people are losing confidence in the fragile Unified Government. Private Military Companies gain more power, as colonies require protection from not just other colony but from the Ver Syndrome. The worst off are non-settled colonies, with limited resources in space they become targets to pirates and un-cultured Zentradi. With the NUN-Spacy on the verge of being dissolved they put together a rookie team of Songstress the Wulkures... Not the greats group of girls but ones with the heart and morals to do what is right and not give into the money the other Songstresses get.

Together they face off against these Mercenary Songstress and together they can take an individual down. It's hard, the group was thrown together they aren't all friends... And they also have a target on their backs families at risk... The team of Valkyrie pilots assigned to protect them are elite, but desertion in the NUN-Spacy is at record levels and they are running into old friends putting stress on them. The Anti-Unification Forces are becoming more organized begin to work together to stop and kill the Wulkures... and they can... they do... maybe some do die.. The team must face the dangers of an all out Civil War within the NUN-Spacy and everyone is relying on them to stop it. That is a lot of pressure.... They don't always have to be riding like Sound Force... Maybe they come in on the Valkyries but disembark Ranka Lee Style like in Macross Frontier Episode "Fastest Delivery" Hell let them have shields, but they aren't there for these non combat civilians to use, but to keep them alive, because they have far more value than random person on the street. Maybe some can fly in Valkyries or even pilot... in support. But NO riding like a chariot bullshit or magical flying around and leaping from building to building.

It would also be cool because you can do dueling songs between the Wulkures and Mercenary Songstresses or Mercenary groups. It's just not young up and coming star, but a group... The social dynamics of something like that is writing gold... All of which fits into the Macross DNA. If I can pull this out of my head in a few minutes and it is original and sounds a hell of a lot better than shoving Magic Girls into the series it shows that Studio Nue or Kawamori or both might have just sold out Macross in the name marketing to the Magical Girl audience.

Your idea is a great one! Let's just wait and see how will the series go, as we only saw the preview episode and there could be surprising things along the way in the series proper, just like in Frontier.

Your idea is a great one! Let's just wait and see how will the series go, as we only saw the preview episode and there could be surprising things along the way in the series proper, just like in Frontier.

I wish you were right but its going to be really hard to under the Magical Girl Group Walkures.... I am not saying the entire Series is ruined... but seriously crippled by them... They have 25 episodes to recover... I Hope they do.

If Kawamori wanted to really really bring in Magical girls, he should of looked more to Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Which looked like a by-the-book standard cliche magical girl show in the first episode.

Also, I take issue with the insistence that Walkure is magical and the shield drones are mind-controlled "god drones".

The drones are shown to be FAR from omnipotent(they can project holograms and force fields in the immediate vicinity of the drone body for a limited amount of time), and by all appearances are gesture-controlled.

As for Walkure... they have bug bulbous mechanical devices around their waists(the likely source for the thrusters seen firing from their skirts), and holographic costuming has been a thing since DYRL. I see them doing very little that can't be explained with established overtechnology.

They are FAR less ridiculous than, say, thirty-foot tall humanoid creatures or fighter jets that turn into giant robots. Thank GOD Macross takes itself seriously and never got mixed up with THOSE absurd cliches.

Drones that break everything known to the technology of Macross... That do insane things that if can be used on a tiny drone... WHY THE HELL NOT ON A VALKYRIE?

I know! If only they'd thought to equip the Valks with some sort of limited barrier as a kind of pin-point defensive system! How could they miss that?

Seriously, all I see in the drones is a pin-point barrier, a holographic projector, and a gravity controller. All of this is technology that's existed since SDF Macross. WHERE is the new setting-defying capabilities you claim they have?

Sound Force and those sound beams were not magical at all. They're hard science from the magic of music. They're depicted realistically because they use battle mechs with guitar controls, because that's the best way to fly and sing at high G forces.

Without battle mechs, the girls are unrealistic. They should've at least used guys in Iron Man suits. That would've been awesome. Techno men are better than magical girls.

Edited by HannouHeiki