azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

I don't think I'd get too attached to the current setting!

I bet part of the mood-change that was talked about for the next episodes probably involves Al Shahal not ending up in a good way. I'm guessing the Thurvel-Salan is a Chekhov's Thurvel-Salan, if you get my drift. Blowing up a city/cityship/planet is nearly a Macross staple itself.

They need to get to the divided city (Windermere?) at the very least and Walkure seems to be involved at multiple planets.

This 3 months of speculation is going to be interesting. I imagine it was the same after Frontier's preview...

How about this one: The apples might be something! The bomber eats one! Freyja is from where they come from?

To add to my list of desires:

If there really is more Zentradi content I hope we see a Nupetiet-Vergnitzs again!

Edited by Rbstr

・i like the idea that someone came up with of mikumo dying in battle and frejya facing the overwhelming task of filling her hero's shoes lol. That would be a great opportunity for character development and bring some seriousness to the story inspite of all the idols flying around.

Yea I think Mikumo has some serious death flags on her.

If Lady M is truly Dr. Chiba than maybe he has gone too far and the idols have their powers because he infused them with Protodeviln DNA as unborne babies. What a grim and gritty story twist!

Actually I was thinking that Mikumo might be part Protodevlin or something, because the way she was moving around the battlefield kind of reminded me of Sivil from M7. That plus the whole "unknown history" she has going...

Edited by Raptor One

I think we are getting carried away about the magical girl transformation and dancing valks.

After a couple viewings, I sensed kind of a tongue-in-cheek vibe to it, that Walkure are not up to their singing stuff yet, and that the pilots are not at their best either. (The performances in Frontier intensified as the show went on, and no reason to believe it won't be the same here.)

Also, the main guy Hayate, does not seem enamored with Walkure, any more than a typical mech-head would be; so I think he may serve as a foil for the cutesy idol groups... a stand-in for all the guys not into magical girls.

The Winadamarians (?) certainly are no fans of the girl group, and I bet many fans will be rooting for them to blow Walkure to bits. I know I was.

Delta's idol group and dancing valks do look very commercial, but I think the show knows which scenes are cheesy commercial. There is a difference. At least I hope so.

Long way to go yet. Lots to like. And lots to shake your head over.

Edited by arbit

I hope the Kingdom of Wind faction copies the idol group at one point and we get evil versions of them much like:

d9ca0a92d1562f90967fc6de9c5c277114357519

:wub:

That would give Bandai even more intentions of doing S.H.Figuarts of the idol group if they can sell twice as much with minor changes. :D

Edited by Scyla

It didn't sound familiar to me (although, unlike some dialects, I could definitely hear the difference), but on the podcast, they seemed to think it was some kind of Kyushu accent... maybe.

That was Renato I believe, but the point was , IMO, that there's a part of the accent that sounds a little rural.

It's a bit of rural accent, a bit of old man speak, and a bit of anime silliness.

This is all mixed together for something that, yes for those curious, is made up for the show.

It helps to identify Freyja as having been raised in the boonies (which is going to eventually be a plot point) and also comes across as idealistic, stubborn and cute.

Personally I found it to be as cute as hell and none of the fans here in Japan that I spoke with at or after the premiere had an issue with it. It's not real-life use of the language, but neither are Valkyries a realistic use of technology.

It's all about adding flavor to the fiction.

Edited by Tochiro

Totally agree. Walkure's efforts start to finish were too much and completely subverted Macross with Sailor Moon. I would expect that this will get toned down as the series continues. If it increases I'm sure i'll find myself checking out.

Wasn't the only one actively "fighting" Mikumo, with the rest mostly standing back and acting more defensive (i.e. redirecting the holo-shield drones). I suspect that might be a plot point.

I hope the Kingdom of Wind faction copies the idol group at one point and we get evil versions of them much like:

d9ca0a92d1562f90967fc6de9c5c277114357519

:wub:

That would give Bandai even more intentions of doing S.H.Figuarts of the idol group if they can sell twice as much with minor changes. :D

an evil walkure....hmmm interesting.... :ph34r:

that would be a earth-2 of evil valks and heroic drakens perhaps in the far future...

Hmmm, David Hingten points out the similarity between the Var song and the Song of Destruction. Wasn't Sara Nome considered a Priestess of the Wind? My memory may be fuzzy, I haven't watched Zero for a while.

I didn't make that connection. Now I have to watch that sequence again to find out...

After watching it a second time I think the music is growing on me a little more. Still not as impressed with the music as I was in Fronter, but it's not terrible. The rest of the stuff I am more or less fine with. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over some over the top idol group antics. I can watch it and also enjoy all the other aspects of the show I thought were interesting. Overall I think I will enjoy Delta and look forward to what's in store for us.

So, who's the main love triangle going to be this time out?

I've seen Freyja x Hayate x Mikumo discussed on the net but I'm just not seeing it from this episode. Freyja x Hayate x Mirage seems more plausible. Though, with the whole arranged marriage thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it some other guy from the Kingdom of Wind were involved as well.

So, who's the main love triangle going to be this time out?

I've seen Freyja x Hayate x Mikumo discussed on the net but I'm just not seeing it from this episode. Freyja x Hayate x Mirage seems more plausible. Though, with the whole arranged marriage thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it some other guy from the Kingdom of Wind were involved as well.

Hmm i have a feeling with so many characters it may end up like a friends sitcom(cue music)...

hayate+freyja, messer+mikumo, mirage + keith... :rolleyes:

Has anyone pointed out all the aeronautical references in the names?

Aside from the obvious Immelmann reference, I've also spotted the following.

Mikumo Guynemer - Georges Guynemer (French WW1 ace)

Kaname Buccaneer - Backburn Buccaneer (RN jet bomber)

Makina Nakajima - Nakajima Aircraft Company

Reina Prowler - EA-6B Prowler (USN electronic warfare jet from)

Chuck Mustang - P-51 Mustang

Messer Ihlefeld - Herbert Ihlefeld (German WW2 ace)

Arad Molders - Werner Molders (top German WW2 ace)

Totally not hinting at anything whatsoever. No siree.

tumblr_o08rgpktDB1s40tcxo1_r1_500.gif

So we have a strict by the book pilot, a kind of a jerk freelancer with a questionable array of skills, and a ditzy little girl who may or may not have the ability to imitate songstresses to whatever means to an end. But it has nothing to do with a certain non-canon OVA from the 90's. Nope.

I'm on Team Mirage.

Edited by Einherjar

So we have a strict by the book pilot, a kind of a jerk freelancer with a questionable array of skills, and a ditzy little girl who may or may not have the ability to imitate songstresses to whatever means to an end. But it has nothing to do with a certain non-canon OVA from the 90's. Nope.

I'm on Team Mirage.

Oh, I see nothing that you're hinting.

(*ahem* Makina...)

Has anyone pointed out all the aeronautical references in the names?

Aside from the obvious Immelmann reference, I've also spotted the following.

Mikumo Guynemer - Georges Guynemer (French WW1 ace)

Kaname Buccaneer - Backburn Buccaneer (RN jet bomber)

Makina Nakajima - Nakajima Aircraft Company

Reina Prowler - EA-6B Prowler (USN electronic warfare jet from)

Chuck Mustang - P-51 Mustang

Messer Ihlefeld - Herbert Ihlefeld (German WW2 ace)

Arad Molders - Werner Molders (top German WW2 ace)

Also "Chuck" as in Chuck Yeager, record-setting test pilot and retired brigadier general in the USAF.

Graham

I'm on Team Mirage.

It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't an ode to all the 90's Macross productions. Take some elements from this one, some elements from that one and sprinkle it all with a similar premise to another one and you have Macross Delta. Why not? Everything old is new again... I look forward to seeing how the mashups work out. Should be an interesting challenge.

Most of that shouldn't be in spoiler tags nor is there anything to guess about - for the umpteenth time, Kawamori himself said outright immediately prior to the first ever screening of ep1 that he is trying to purposefully blend elements of 7 and Plus.

The Plus elements aren't supposed to be a secret or spoilerific. The man made a major not of them himself and I was only meters away from him when he said so.

Just having a little fun, no harm no foul... ;)

Yeah, it just feels good to know that all those times watching dubbed Macross II on the Starz Action channel years ago finally paid off. It's now available for free on Hulu just so people know. Only the dub is available. Just buy the damn thing.

Edited by Einherjar