azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

Perhaps there may be some tension with respect to colonists moving to the world in numbers far more than the indigenous populations like.

Almost like an allegory to what is happening in so many countries with respect to immigrants and refugees...

Perhaps there may be some tension with respect to colonists moving to the world in numbers far more than the indigenous populations like.

Almost like an allegory to what is happening in so many countries with respect to immigrants and refugees...

That sounds plausible... Kawamori does like his Aesops to be topical and delivers them with all the grace and subtlety of a half-brick to the skull. I'd originally assumed his Aesop this time was going to be "terrorism/religious extremism is bad", on account of starting the story on a conveniently Middle East-themed planet... maybe the Aerial Knights are going full Mardook on this, and declaring war against the neighboring New UN Government systems because they feel that the extrasolar cultures they're being exposed to are [disrespectful to/incompatible with] their faith in the "Great Wind" (if that's truly a religion and not just a cultural platitude or idiom).

I'm confused now with the latest character descriptions. Is Delta going Norse, Greek, or just complete the triangle and throw in a few Egyptian references and make it like Age of Mythology with the setting/theme/motif?

... so far, no signs of anything Egyptian, but I'll admit I'm also a bit odded out by the sudden inclusion of blatant Greek in what, thus far, has been shaping up as "Wagner's Ring Cycle (Space Edition)". It seems like a rather unlucky name to give to a warship too... considering that Elysion/Elysium was part of the Greek underworld/afterlife where slain heroes and the righteous congregated after death. If they were after that theme, I would've expected it to be named Valhalla or Folkvangr for consistency with the other bits of Norse references being tossed around, which are the Norse equivalent of Elysion. (Odin and Freyja split the tally of those who die honorably in battle 50-50, half go to Valhalla and half to Folkvangr, though Freyja seems to be rather equal-opportunity about it... while Odin's hall is more of a men-only club.)

(I'm still betting that the Aerial Knights HQ or mothership will be named Tarnhelm though...)

I don't get what needs to be redeemed here

attachicon.gif1451727078895.jpg

Absolutely nothing needs to be redeemed there, nor in any other part IMO. Delta does seem to be taking everything Macross has always been, and adding what's popular now to it (even if Satelight/Kawamori are moving off of their own trend). I've kept a very open and free flowing mind towards the trends in anime, so I'm happy to see what I've been watching lately being integrated into this series, along with what I've always liked in anime. I'm really getting a best of both worlds here, even if there are issues that I particularly don't like as of now in the series.

I must agree here though, I cannot complain about Makina, Mikumo, Kaname, Rei, or Freyja, and of course, Mirage. I'm sure as the episodes progress, we'll get to be invested in each character more or less.

... so far, no signs of anything Egyptian, but I'll admit I'm also a bit odded out by the sudden inclusion of blatant Greek in what, thus far, has been shaping up as "Wagner's Ring Cycle (Space Edition)". It seems like a rather unlucky name to give to a warship too... considering that Elysion/Elysium was part of the Greek underworld/afterlife where slain heroes and the righteous congregated after death. If they were after that theme, I would've expected it to be named Valhalla or Folkvangr for consistency with the other bits of Norse references being tossed around, which are the Norse equivalent of Elysion. (Odin and Freyja split the tally of those who die honorably in battle 50-50, half go to Valhalla and half to Folkvangr, though Freyja seems to be rather equal-opportunity about it... while Odin's hall is more of a men-only club.)

(I'm still betting that the Aerial Knights HQ or mothership will be named Tarnhelm though...)

I guess the Delta in the title should have been a hint of that too.

Absolutely nothing needs to be redeemed there, nor in any other part IMO. Delta does seem to be taking everything Macross has always been, and adding what's popular now to it (even if Satelight/Kawamori are moving off of their own trend). I've kept a very open and free flowing mind towards the trends in anime, so I'm happy to see what I've been watching lately being integrated into this series, along with what I've always liked in anime. I'm really getting a best of both worlds here, even if there are issues that I particularly don't like as of now in the series.

I must agree here though, I cannot complain about Makina, Mikumo, Kaname, Rei, or Freyja, and of course, Mirage. I'm sure as the episodes progress, we'll get to be invested in each character more or less.

TV series are almost always in keeping with the trends of the day. The amount of money to put on a series compared to an OVA pretty much determines that. If the current market trend was toward mecha / space operas, we'd probably get a series more in the vein of SDFM.

Late to this episode, but I have some questions. Well first my opinion is neutral about Delta right now, some good things and some things too exaggerated or over the top even for "trending standars", but I don't want to elaborate in that as surely some things were already discussed a lot.

So serious question regarding my main problem with Delta right now... Can this girls in Walkure be some sort of Cyborgs like Grace in Frontier? I mean they are too damn fast and resistant to damage, they seem to have some superhuman abilities. And sincerely until the SV-262 appearance the VF-31's just seem to be eye-candy and recharge stations for the drones. I mean Mikumo charged against a Zentradi mech only with drones and submitted the menace, they really seem to be too OP.

Late to this episode, but I have some questions. Well first my opinion is neutral about Delta right now, some good things and some things too exaggerated or over the top even for "trending standars", but I don't want to elaborate in that as surely some things were already discussed a lot.

So serious question regarding my main problem with Delta right now... Can this girls in Walkure be some sort of Cyborgs like Grace in Frontier? I mean they are too damn fast and resistant to damage, they seem to have some superhuman abilities. And sincerely until the SV-262 appearance the VF-31's just seem to be eye-candy and recharge stations for the drones. I mean Mikumo charged against a Zentradi mech only with drones and submitted the menace, they really seem to be too OP.

We don't know at the moment. All we know is that Mikumos origins are shrouded in mystery so she could very well be a cyborg. Since we see only her do the feats you are describing she seems to be different to the other girls from Walkure. I think the primary function of the VF-31 is to protect the idols as best as possible and disarm the enemy units to that Walkure can cure them from the Var syndrome as well as bringing the Walkure support equipment to the battlefield.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds plausible... Kawamori does like his Aesops to be topical and delivers them with all the grace and subtlety of a half-brick to the skull. I'd originally assumed his Aesop this time was going to be "terrorism/religious extremism is bad", on account of starting the story on a conveniently Middle East-themed planet... maybe the Aerial Knights are going full Mardook on this, and declaring war against the neighboring New UN Government systems because they feel that the extrasolar cultures they're being exposed to are [disrespectful to/incompatible with] their faith in the "Great Wind" (if that's truly a religion and not just a cultural platitude or idiom).

With that in mind, is there a possibility that the preview episode is a reference to the Crusades, with a "European" kingdom attacking an "Arab" planet?

With that in mind, is there a possibility that the preview episode is a reference to the Crusades, with a "European" kingdom attacking an "Arab" planet?

Hard to say. It may be much more topical, or it may be historical. Macross Frontier had both - historical: the MF fleet and the greater galactic situation (for humans) is described as 'the Great Age Of Exploration, with e-mail', and topical: S.M.S. is a PMC (Private Military Company), and around the time of MF's release, Blackwater was making headlines around the world.

Nevertheless, that situation (Western (Europe) vs. Arabian) is... well, let's just say that it makes for a lot of story opportunities.

How about a spoiler tagged written summary of episode 2, or a transcript of the podcast for those that don't have time to listen to pod casts or just don't like listening to podcasts?

I would do it, but I didn't watch the episode, so I can't.

Tochiro would do it, but he got kicked out of this place, so he can't.

I'm afraid you just have to listen despite not having time/not liking it (which is it, both?) or waiting until the broadcast. Pick your poison, dude. :p

EDIT -- Wait, wait... Hang on a second, there... "TRANSCRIPT"?? What? No, no, no, sir. If you don't have time to listen, fine, but now we're expected to have the time to write down everything for you? I know Einstein said time is relative but this is ridiculous, no?

Edited by Renato

I would do it, but I didn't watch the episode, so I can't.

Tochiro would do it, but he got kicked out of this place, so he can't.

#FreeTochiro

EDIT -- Wait, wait... Hang on a second, there... "TRANSCRIPT"?? What? No, no, no, sir. If you don't have time to listen, fine, but now we're expected to have the time to write down everything for you? I know Einstein said time is relative but this is ridiculous, no?

Paging Mav, paging Mav...

also, what happened to Tochiro?

He offered criticism on someone's cosplay photos, and got a one month vacation. And that's all I'm going to add to the topic.

Edited by Jefuemon

How about a spoiler tagged written summary of episode 2, or a transcript of the podcast for those that don't have time to listen to pod casts or just don't like listening to podcasts?

Hey man, at least they're bringing some cool content to the site.

#FreeTochiro

this has to be a thing.

how do you not have time to listen to a podcast, but have the time to sit down and read everything that was said during the podcast? :huh:

also, what happened to Tochiro?

EXACTLY.

I can read both posts in less than 1 sec then if I were to say that in audible conversation which would take possibly 10 secs. Now if it were multiple persons talking in a normal ebb and flow of conversation then you're talking a significant amount of time required for possible only a small bit of information that you're seeking. That is not something I personally am interested in investing time in. Music, audiobooks, podcasts are all white noise to me. If podcasts are your thing then cool. Keep it up. Happy that you guys are doing something that makes you happy. Some of us would and do appreciate a quick written summary.

Graham asked a simple request. Paraphrased, "can you guys write a summary or a transcript?" He didn't say anything about not making the podcast he's asking if the podcasters would supplement it. Added value from the guys doing the podcasts. Instead how many of you are jumping on him for that? This is Graham, of Shawn and Grahams Macrossworld, the guy that when he had ties directly to Yamato showed us early prototype pics, took all our concerns to Yamato and brought back their responses with no expectations except that he was helping a fellow fan with no strings attached.

This is Graham, of Shawn and Grahams Macrossworld, the guy that when he had ties directly to Yamato showed us early prototype pics, took all our concerns to Yamato and brought back their responses with no expectations except that he was helping a fellow fan with no strings attached.

Let me ask you this. You would be upset if, after all that he has done, he was suspended, correct? I hope you see what I'm getting at.

And I have to be perfectly clear, let there be no confusion on this matter: I like Graham, we've met in Tokyo several times and hung out. He's a fellow Brit and we share the same ironic humour. I think I'm allowed to disagree with some things, precisely because I do consider him a friend, though.

EDIT -- Further clarification, so no misunderstandings arise: This is not so much about Graham as it is about the fact that nobody can post anything to do with the show because the only one who can is temporarily banned, even if they did have time to write it all out. I am grateful they even bothered to record it. I can't write anything because I actually haven't listened to it properly yet.

Edited by Renato

Damn Danguard, you're coming off pretty thankless, disrespectful and insulting of people's time. I don't even see why you find it necessary to get in between that conversation anyway.

You are talking about a guy who paid $50 for a ticket, recorded, and edited and posted a podcast with his own personal time and money. And that's on top of not being allowed to post here.

Have you ever typed a transcript? I've done it as a job. It's pretty hard and is actually intense work. You know transcript workers need special software to easily rewind clips, and even have footpedals to control audio speed?

Transcripting is intense even with the software and peripherals. Doing it without the stuff is slow and tedious.

Here's an idea: how about recommending that the only bilingual person who was on the scene not be suspended?

Okay, you just want a summary and not a transcript? How about not calling someone's FREE PODCAST "white noise." It's insulting, considering all the insight and "on the scene" reporting that they do.

And if you would appreciate a summary, how about contributing $5 towards his $50 ticket to show that appreciation? Instead of typing out a synopsis of his own audio, he could do other things like gaming, drinking, watching anime, or whatever else.

Since YOU identified that "some of" you would appreciate a summary, how about you listen to that white noise and make a summary for them? You can contribute your own time and help out the fandom. Since you understand white noise, you're the best one for the job.

How much added value do you want for something that's done for free, for the Macross community as a whole?

I mean DAMN, Mike BOUGHT A PLANE TICKET to see the screening.

I'm just happy that these super fans exist and want to share as much as possible. I'm not going to impose any of expectations, describe their donated time as "white noise," or lecture how they can create even more "added value,". ESPECIALLY WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Edited by HannouHeiki

Well if the podcaster has been banned and can't post anything here, all that has to happen is for someone else to listen to it and basically do a summary or transcript. So who's it gonna be?

We have a "Feedback" section if you have questions regarding the site. This thread is for Delta news. Keep it that way. If you don't, keep in mind my bans are normally permanent.

Graham asked for simple summary. You can't provide one because you weren't there? That's fine. You didn't listen to the podcast either and cannot give a summary for something you haven't done yet? That is also perfectly fine. Leave it at that.

this is the first couple of minutes. took me 17 minutes to transcribe.

i hate podcasts and this is only the second one i've listened to.

but i thank those who contribute in any way, shape or form.

We have an official broadcast date, finally. April 3rd will be when Macross Delta begins to air. In the Tokyo area it will be airing on Sundays at 10:30pm, which is quite an early time slot specially compared to Macross Frontier which aired at 1:25 in the morning.

[unintelligible] it was later than that. I thought it was some time after 2.
I remember it changed from week to week depending if some special ran long so they have to push back all the late night stuff.
[unintelligible] it will be different on where we live
Either way, it was also broadcast during week days.
Fair enough, of course it's not going to be 10:30 in the evening all over Japan. That's just for us lucky residents of Tokyo.
Depending on whereabouts you are, it could also be at 1:05 in the morning, 2 in the morning, 1:30 in the morning, so we're quite lucky in this area. We're gonna get a decent time slot, and right at the end of the week/beginning of the new week, So we'll start of Monday with the new episode fresh in our heads, every week.
Which is good because that is when folks are home for work and stuff.
Right. Right. Like people don't work in Tokyo on Sundays, despite what anyone may have you think.
Oh really? because i read somewhere.. Oh, they must've been mistaken.
Yeah, try, try reading quality stuff.
Edited by Major Focker

I can read both posts in less than 1 sec then if I were to say that in audible conversation which would take possibly 10 secs. Now if it were multiple persons talking in a normal ebb and flow of conversation then you're talking a significant amount of time required for possible only a small bit of information that you're seeking. That is not something I personally am interested in investing time in. Music, audiobooks, podcasts are all white noise to me. If podcasts are your thing then cool. Keep it up. Happy that you guys are doing something that makes you happy. Some of us would and do appreciate a quick written summary.

Graham asked a simple request. Paraphrased, "can you guys write a summary or a transcript?" He didn't say anything about not making the podcast he's asking if the podcasters would supplement it. Added value from the guys doing the podcasts. Instead how many of you are jumping on him for that? This is Graham, of Shawn and Grahams Macrossworld, the guy that when he had ties directly to Yamato showed us early prototype pics, took all our concerns to Yamato and brought back their responses with no expectations except that he was helping a fellow fan with no strings attached.

Ooh... Can I use that rationale myself...?

Macross Delta is going to be full of music. If it's all white noise, I'm guessing you're not a fan? Actually, Macross has one of its cores being music. That statement makes me wonder about a few things.

For what it's worth, I do thank the oddly guy that's oddly temorarily banned, and all of them as well, for putting it up so fast. I prefer the podcast, and would hope you guys simply stick with just that, and that only. The summaries are already in the articles of what the podcast is about, and I like that it's simply not done in some sort of blog like fashion. I'd rather get the inflections and the tone in voices to catch all the emotion of things, than just reading summary stuff. I also like being part of the podcast here in the states when I can. If no one listened to it, I'd honestly be OK with that. I think everyone working on this stuff loves that people listen to the cast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that they do it more for the comraderie and a love for a franchise, than for numbers.

In regards to the ep. 2 show, I listened to all of it, including spoilers. I knew an episode like that was needed, so while I'm glad I got in depth details, I'm still anticipating all of it. I'm realizing that there's going to be a wave of stuff every week to talk about soon. I've got my typing fingers ready to go.

Edited by Jasonc

He offered criticism on someone's cosplay photos, and got a one month vacation. And that's all I'm going to add to the topic.

It wasn't just "someone"....

Back on topic:

This series is going to be an interesting hybrid that SK is experimenting with and I am very curious about that fact. I suspect it will be tricky to pull off successfully. Knowing when to stay dark and moody and when to go JPop...

Edited by Zinjo

Macross Delta is going to be full of music. If it's all white noise, I'm guessing you're not a fan? Actually, Macross has one of its cores being music. That statement makes me wonder about a few things.

Why are some people prone to being absolutists?? This or that, you are or your are not.... :rolleyes:

I don't care for most of the music in M7, am I automatically "NOT" a fan? Hardly. Each Macross iteration has its own theme and attracts some fans more than others. It is the nature of entertainment.

We have a "Feedback" section if you have questions regarding the site. This thread is for Delta news. Keep it that way. If you don't, keep in mind my bans are normally permanent.

Graham asked for simple summary. You can't provide one because you weren't there? That's fine. You didn't listen to the podcast either and cannot give a summary for something you haven't done yet? That is also perfectly fine. Leave it at that.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43563

Feedback posted. If you guys expect this place to continue to be a fun place by fans for fans then I think you owe us the community an explanation. I've been here for over 10 years, but if posting this gets me banned, I am done.

Why are some people prone to being absolutists?? This or that, you are or your are not.... :rolleyes:

I don't care for most of the music in M7, am I automatically "NOT" a fan? Hardly. Each Macross iteration has its own theme and attracts some fans more than others. It is the nature of entertainment.

You may want to reread what I wrote there. In no way was there absolutes in there, thus the reason I said "I'm guessing..." your being too absolute in your misinterpretation of what I said.