azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

So after watching the preview episode and giving it a lot of thought I have to be honest and say I didn't care for it. To be honest it felt scatterbrained and the tone was all over the place. If I didn't know any better that this was an offical work I'd have assumed this show was parody of Macross on the level of Project A-Ko. I'm not giving up on the show yet as all be told this is just a preview episode, but its not hitting the mark with me.

You should watch it a couple of times more. I feel that it is a bit too cluttered with different story bits but if you watch it several times this goes away and you can concentrate more on the core of the story in this episode.

The Speaker Podcast also mentioned that Kawamori said the tone of the first few episodes be vastly different in tone. Not sure what to take from that since I liked the tone of the preview episode but we will see.

You should watch it a couple of times more. I feel that it is a bit too cluttered with different story bits but if you watch it several times this goes away and you can concentrate more on the core of the story in this episode.

You shouldn't have to watch it several times to catch everything, but that's just the reality of this offering. I've only seen it once, but I'm sure you're right. It's just the principle that bugs me.

You shouldn't have to watch it several times to catch everything, but that's just the reality of this offering. I've only seen it once, but I'm sure you're right. It's just the principle that bugs me.

This is the franchise where the animators turned a random missile into a beer can as an Easter egg for the movie. If you're just watching it once, you're doing it wrong.

The beer can didn't add to my appreciation of the overall story.

Beer always change the appreciation of a story.... only if you are the one drinking it. <_<

So... anyone watched Delta on drugs? it gets better?

Edited by Gerli

You know there's a big difference between beer can missile or an Arcadia cameo easter egg and a main character in a worker destroid doing roller boogie electric boogaloo while super fun happy magical girls prance and sing.

All this while civilians are dying from an old foe driven insane from music in addition to some random 18th century aristocrats in varible fighter show up unannounced looking for a runaway bride deciding "diplomacy is for dweebs" and start annihiliating the planets defense force.

Did I miss anything?

You know there's a big difference between beer can missile or an Arcadia cameo easter egg and a main character in a worker destroid doing roller boogie electric boogaloo while super fun happy magical girls prance and sing.

All this while civilians are dying from an old foe driven insane from music in addition to some random 18th century aristocrats in varible fighter show up unannounced looking for a runaway bride deciding "diplomacy is for dweebs" and start annihiliating the planets defense force.

Did I miss anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZFn96KWYBA What's wrong with the main character dancing in a mecha? And to be fair most of those things didn't happen at the same time.

Did I miss anything?

It's kinda like saying that SDFM had Hikaru playing pranks with the Angelbirds and Roy checking out Minmay's ass while Zentradi are bombarding the city...

They didn't even hint they were looking for Freya. If anything it sounded like they were after Walkure since one of them fired a salvo of missiles while saying "Die Walkure!"

Maybe he was saying "The Walkurie" in German...

Hmmm...

Var Syndrome. Takes people over and makes them commit violent acts.

Varauta, mind-controlled warriors of the Protodeviln.

Coincidence?

There may be a link, but the PD mind control seemed more sophisticated than the affects of the Var.

MiragexMikumo one true pairing

Well, I guess a Jenius can be just strong enough when Mikumo inevitably gets killed off. She might even get to cook some pineapple salad.

There probably WILL be yuri. Not even a war, a near certainty.

Did I miss anything?

I'm joining the "lots of assumptions there" team. There is no hint these guys are even aware Freya exists. Yeah, she's from the same planet. But they still appear to be after the Walkure.

(Which is all to the better, because if Freya got that Itano Circus it would likely be the end of her, and we're not even started yet, and she's the neo-Ranka or something).

The violence aspect is more in line with the effects of the Protodevlin or Evil Series on Zentradi.

True, but the PD prompted abject fear in the Zentradi. However I am beginning to see your point. It takes some lucidity to build a bomb as opposed to just shooting up a place. A fact I had forgotten from the prologue of the preview episode.

True, but the PD prompted abject fear in the Zentradi. However I am beginning to see your point. It takes some lucidity to build a bomb as opposed to just shooting up a place. A fact I had forgotten from the prologue of the preview episode.

In Macross 30 Leon had to subdue Zentradi that suddenly went crazy and after they were knocked out they couldn't remember what happened to them after investigating the ruins. Turns out the planet had the eighth Evil Series that wasn't taken over by Protodevlin. Whatever faction created the Evil series planned to exploit the aggressiveness the Protoculture implanted on the Zentradi on the genetic level.

Since the setting is the Outer Rim there are likely a bunch of former Protoculture settlements. It wouldn't surprise me if the Protoculture there decided to integrate with the sub-Proticulture races they created there.

PC 5000

• In what still remains of the Stellar Republic, only a small number of separated colonized planets, colonization fleets, space colony clusters [bunches], and other populations at the edge of the galaxy are left.

Maybe the Kingdom of Wind has beef with Humans being called the Protoculture or their inheritors as the Windermere may have blood ties with the Protoculture. Those hair appendages may be indication of Space-Time Resonance Ability as they've shown some sort of "New-Type" effect like Sara and Mao's premonitions.

The Mayan people revere the Protoculcha as it is not merely culture but genetic memory programmed in their genes. Like in DYRL where Culture was a genetic memory for Zentradi.

Edited by RedWolf

In Macross 30 Leon had to subdue Zentradi that suddenly went crazy and after they were knocked out they couldn't remember what happened to them after investigating the ruins. Turns out the planet had the eighth Evil Series that wasn't taken over by Protodevlin. Whatever faction created the Evil series planned to exploit the aggressiveness the Protoculture implanted on the Zentradi on the genetic level.

Since the setting is the Outer Rim there are likely a bunch of former Protoculture settlements. It wouldn't surprise me if the Protoculture there decided to integrate with the sub-Proticulture races they created there.

Maybe the Kingdom of Wind has beef with Humans being called the Protoculture or their inheritors as the Windermere may have blood ties with the Protoculture. Those hair appendages may be indication of Space-Time Resonance Ability as they've shown some sort of "New-Type" effect like Sara and Mao's premonitions.

The Mayan people revere the Protoculcha as it is not merely culture but genetic memory programmed in their genes. Like in DYRL where Culture was a genetic memory for Zentradi.

Possibly, though I'd be careful about referencing games as it is not a given that they get included as part of the official continuity.

While that is true, he's right that one should be cautious. They could easily take selective elements of the game as canonical wile disavowing certain parts of the storyline.

Hopeful they let it stay canon though.

Most likely there will never be explicit confirmation so the best approach is to just accept it as canon until something happens in a main series that contradicts it.

While that is true, he's right that one should be cautious. They could easily take selective elements of the game as canonical wile disavowing certain parts of the storyline.

Hopeful they let it stay canon though.

Most likely there will never be explicit confirmation so the best approach is to just accept it as canon until something happens in a main series that contradicts it.

Isn't that true for EVERYTHING in Macross, though...?

Isn't that true for EVERYTHING in Macross, though...?

I assume that Macross 30 is an in-universe video game that retells (with artistic license) a story from the Macross universe? The video game company probably just found the source code for it on some remote server and adapted it for our earthly technology. ^_^

I assume that Macross 30 is an in-universe video game that retells (with artistic license) a story from the Macross universe? The video game company probably just found the source code for it on some remote server and adapted it for our earthly technology. ^_^

Christ, they WOULD get that meta. Not like it's anything new to them, though. I'm still wondering if Michel is dead or not... and if Brera is alive or not... and basically everyone from Frontier could be dead or alive depending on how Kawamori's feeling that day.

Christ, they WOULD get that meta. Not like it's anything new to them, though. I'm still wondering if Michel is dead or not... and if Brera is alive or not... and basically everyone from Frontier could be dead or alive depending on how Kawamori's feeling that day.

Luca's sibling has it worse. In the TV series he had an unseen older brother heading LAI. In the movies he had a older sister who was Leon's fiance.

On another topic I think with the Aerial Knights "Rune" they can sense hostile intention thus have Newtype like ability. The Nome sisters had some precog ability of sensing hostile intention calling them Kadun. Maybe it is the same thing.