azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

Wow. I've never really disliked a Macross series until now. I even enjoyed 7, but this is too much. I may re-visit this when the series is complete, but I've seen nothing so far that changes my initial opinion about this addition to the Macross franchise.

Like Star Wars, apparently this is what the fans want, judging from the poll. Unfortunately, for those of us who were with the franchise since the beginning, it is no longer enough to have the valks+music+love triangle and expect us all to accept everything at face value. At its core, Macross has been about the survivors of humanity banding together in the face of impossible odds, and persevering. This installment seems like a shameless cash grab with none of the depth or soul that made the initial series so great. Magical girls, phoned in Valk designs and crappy j-pop does not make a Macross series. Try again, guys. Try harder.

Yeah, I was leaning more toward an overall positive vote, but I'm somewhere between neutral and positive, so I just gave a positive vote. As I feared from the beginning the music seemed very uninspired and phoned in IMHO. Not the same reaction as when I watched Frontier. And for the record I went in wanting to like it and I tried very hard to get into the music, but it just didn't do it for me. It sounded very ordinary. Kind of like in M7 when the military tried to create the Jamming Birds. It just didn't have any heart. Edit: and also for the record, I'm a long time Macross fan since the early 80's, and I have even warmed up to M7 in recent years and enjoy M7 very much.

Still, I was enjoying the overall story and mecha action. I do like the direction of the story with Var Syndrome, valkyrie vs. valkyrie dogfight action, and battles on a planet vs. outer space. The fighting seems more of an even match compared to Vajra vs. humans in Frontier.

I thought an entire ship blowing up because they shot directly into the hanger launch bay was stupid, though. I hope they don't repeat that.

I think if the music was better and the Walkure antics were toned down it would have made the episode much better.

Edited by sharky

second viewing with subs! More questions than answers...

1. Music is apparently colored in the delta universe and some can 'see' the colors...

2. @17:58 mark As the 31 valks fly down and pose b4 flying off, Hayate mentions someone is late?

3. Var is activated by a songstress in a castle with floating crystals...obvious link and caused by the aerial knights?

4. He is called Master Herman by bogue...no further info on him ...

post-15116-0-40689700-1451665029_thumb.jpg

5. @23:25 Freya has....winderemere power? Is she related to the drakens?

Interesting sub plot possibilites...will she end up fighting her kin?

1. Music is apparently colored in the delta universe and some can 'see' the colors...

Freyja has Synesthesia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Chromesthesia

Main article: Chromesthesia

Another common form of synesthesia is the association of sounds with colors. For some, everyday sounds such as doors opening, cars honking, or people talking can trigger seeing colors. For others, colors are triggered when musical notes and/or keys are being played. People with synesthesia related to music may also have perfect pitch because their ability to see/hear colors aids them in identifying notes or keys.[citation needed]

The colors triggered by certain sounds, and any other synesthetic visual experiences, are referred to as photisms.

According to Richard Cytowic,[3] chromesthesia is "something like fireworks": voice, music, and assorted environmental sounds such as clattering dishes or dog barks trigger color and firework shapes that arise, move around, and then fade when the sound ends. Sound often changes the perceived hue, brightness, scintillation, and directional movement. Some individuals see music on a "screen" in front of their faces. For Deni Simon, music produces waving lines "like oscilloscope configurations lines moving in color, often metallic with height, width and, most importantly, depth. My favorite music has lines that extend horizontally beyond the 'screen' area."

Individuals rarely agree on what color a given sound is. B flat might be orange for one person and blue for another. Composers Liszt and Rimsky-Korsakov famously disagreed on the colors of music keys.

There seems to be a synesthesia connection with Var Syndrome as well.

Misophonia

Main article: Misophonia

Misophonia is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, fright, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. Richard Cytowic suggests that misophonia is related to, or perhaps a variety of, synesthesia.[23] Miren Edelstein and her colleagues have compared misophonia to synesthesia in terms of connectivity between different brain regions as well as specific symptoms. They formed the hypothesis that "a pathological distortion of connections between the auditory cortex and limbic structures could cause a form of sound-emotion synesthesia."[24]

Windermere was settled by one of two fleets in the prologue. Since it is said Human expansion led to first contact with alien races I assume the fleet assimilated with locals.

2. @17:58 mark As the 31 valks fly down and pose b4 flying off, Hayate mentions someone is late?

3. Var is activated by a songstress in a castle with floating crystals...obvious link and caused by the aerial knights?

a_knights.jpg

2. He says one of the Valkyries in formation is lagging behind the others.

Have not seen the current set of fan subs but from what I'm hearing they must be pretty rough and devoid of any context in their translations...

Edited by Tochiro

Ok, just watched the sub. Wow, I LIKEY!

I love how they incorporated singing and fighting together as in PHYSICALLY together. Freyja is cuter than I expected so I'll accept her. :D

I love the mystery of the Var Syndrome and how it's activated by a song from some mysterious woman ala Ishtar.

I think I'll like this quite a bit!! :wub:B))

Is the VF-171EX confirmed as the cannon fodder Valkyrie for Delta?

I'm not to keen on seeing it again but it could be possible that it is only a standin for now since they had not finished the CF Fighter for the deadline. I'm not getting my hopes up but I find it odd that they use a white VF-171 since this color belonged to a special forces squadron in Frontier.

I'd love to see another new Valkyrie for this series.

Yeah man, it kinda pains me to see the 171 still serve as canon fodder too.

Edited by NightmarePlus

I also wonder how they Aerial Knights and the Kingdom of the Wind are involved as the implications is that they exploit this activity, perhaps by triggering it.

My guess is that it is a bioweapon at least harnessed by the Kingdom of the Wind, if not entirely developed by them. Of course all just speculation at this point.

My bigger question... why is there a Jenius with Zolan ears?

(Note that I haven't yet listened to the podcast - wanted to watch the episode myself first.)

In case anyone is wondering, there were a total of 391 shots in this edit of the first episode, but in the storyboard there are actually 450 -- which means that we are missing a bit more stuff that comes at the end. That was not the actual end of the episode! The big reveal will be in a few months time.

Well, it was called "Mission 0.89" for a reason. Practically says, "We're not done yet". :lol:

That was... interesting. It felt like Macross to me, but it also felt like contemporary anime in a lot of the ways that I don't quite enjoy. I'm more a fan of consistent tone in a show with paced segues/flow between levity and seriousness, but this seems like it's going to bounce back and forth jarringly.

The Drakens seem much more bad@$$ than I expected, easily on par with the VF-27 dogfights in Frontier and with some nice aggressive pilots.

As a fan of Mac7 above the others, I have to give Delta a chance, so I'm not going to form too strong of an opinion based on the preview special. However, I hope it doesn't adhere too strongly to current anime tropes and instead follows a style similar to its predecessors.

You were watching the joke sub track.

I really hope not because I like Freyja more because of lines like hers. :D

Well, it was called "Mission 0.89" for a reason. Practically says, "We're not done yet". :lol:

Azrael, making sense since 19..... something I'm sure. :D

So I have to wonder...

Looking at the information regarding Operation Valkyrie (Walkure) from WWII, it sounds almost identical to what the function of WALKURE is in Macross Delta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Valkyrie

"Operation Valkyrie (German: Operation Walküre) was a German World War II emergency continuity of government operations plan issued to the Territorial Reserve Army of Germany to execute and implement in case of a general breakdown in civil order of the nation

I would assume this was the idea? :)

Edited by MisaForever

I wonder who the 'Lady M' is that's controlling Walkure From the shadows is? Most likely a typical Kawamori fake-out, but fun to consider, regardless.

Lady Minmay? (SDFMTV)

Lady Milene? (M7)

Lady Mina? (M30)

I think I totally misunderstood that. I thought when they said Lady M they we're refering to Mikumo?

4. Judging by the missing character profile, I don't think we need concern ourselves with Herman for too much longer.

And I swear you guys are influencing the writers. Makina...."Music is hope." Definitely giving off some hopes and dreams there guys...

Me too...

Me three. I thought it was obvious. :)

4. Judging by the missing character profile, I don't think we need concern ourselves with Herman for too much longer.

And I swear you guys are influencing the writers. Makina...."Music is hope." Definitely giving off some hopes and dreams there guys...

I seriously think Makina is my favorite girl so far. We don't need to get into why.... ^_^ Though I do appreciate all of them. Love the designs!

Just finished watching the fan-subbed version! (My Nihongo isn't up to speed to watch it raw).

After reading though the past five pages of comments, I have to say that I'm throwing my vote in with those who enjoyed this pre-season episode! I admit that I was actually very skeptical at first, and I wasn't really an instant fan of the VF-31 and Sv-262 designs. But I'm liking Macross Delta so far.

That and my 9-year-old daughter, who is an Aikatsu fan, is liking it as well! We're definitely watching out for this in April! :-D

Can any of the Speakerpodcast crew shed some light on this?

The translation for Mikumo Guynemer's voice actor ended up Who Ami. It reminded me of Syvil's voice actor being a ? in Macross 7.

Has this happened in other Macross shows?

Hmmn.

Plus:

Adhering to to original series' "setting". Mainly---the Zentradi are *green* again. And the voice echo.

Minus:

First time I ever thought an episode got LESS cool right after the valkyries showed up...

Agreed.

It feels like a mess to me.

Before the big action scene it seemed like your typical cutesy anime that Macross Frontier often was. Then they started fighting I'm sorry I meant singing. Oh so this is Sailor moon or something? Then in the final 5 minutes they start having serious mecha duels. If it wasn't for the appearance of Zentradi mecha and Valkyries I wouldn't be able to identify this as Macross.

They're obviously smart in trying to make the most mass marketable product that they can but I wonder why keep calling it Macross at all? Can't they just call these new series generic cutie pie singing group the series? Calling it Macross I guess allows them to sale mecha toys.

That's pretty much what I was thinking after watching the first episode.

You can only put so much of Duke Togo's manliness in one thread. Though, given we're talking about Delta, I'd argue we may need more than usual.

Way more it seems.

Can any of the Speakerpodcast crew shed some light on this?

The translation for Mikumo Guynemer's voice actor ended up Who Ami. It reminded me of Syvil's voice actor being a ? in Macross 7.

Has this happened in other Macross shows?

Not to the best of my recollection... But it seems that Mikumo's actual VA is Ami Koshimizu.

I'm just so disappointed. Frontier, FB7, M30... and now Delta. It just feels like a downward spiral and we get further and further away from what made the original series the masterful classic it is. What happened with having believable characters that you care for? Recently, we only seem to get tired anime clichés. Freyja was just so annoying throughout the whole episode, even worse than the M30 girls... and her meeting with Hayate was boring.

Alright, I will not get any depth out of this. Fine. But Frontier was saved by great mecha action and good music, so I will give it a few more episodes. Although I'm not sold on the new Zentradi designs (and I think it needs an explanation why we haven't seen any of them before), the valk action was what you would expect by now. The first Walküre song was forgettable and the second did not reach Frontier standards, but that's just two songs so far. The magical girl aspect felt jarring as expected and I really hope it gets downplayed later on, but I know it likely won't.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just watched it w/ subs.

i liked the voice of the bad guy singer whoever she is and how come Max's offspring is not the ace.... Kaki clone Chuck saved her.... it seems like Messer (Death Reaper) is? not cool :(

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I just saw the sub. I didn't hate it as much as i was expecting to but i'm not a fan of adopting the modern anime style that is prevalent this day. It's why my anime viewing is pretty much nil these days with some exceptions. Knights of Sidonia had promise until it got stupid in the second season. It's fine that they are trying to be more marketable to make more money which is a good thing for us. Macross has always had fantastical elements and some really shakey science thus definitely not realistic. It however had believable characters which were grounded in reality. Delta is not the first series to do this but it is still missed.

Some random thoughts:

Looks like Destroids still can't out regualts even when the pilots are out of their mind. Who would choose to pilot a destroid?

I still don't buy that the human race could've expanded across the galaxy in only 50 years even considering they cloned themselves and integrated other cultures (Zolans etc). Come think of it shouldn't there be copies of our heroes from the first series out there somewhere.

I'm curious the relation of this Jenius to Max. She doesn't seem to be that great of a pilot. If she is related to Max, i wonder how she ended up on the outer rim in the total opposite direction of most of her family. Unless travel around the galaxy is so quick and easy these days.

So a immigration fleet settled on the wind planet and assimilated into their society. I guess that means that they potentially have a New Macross class and maybe a Macross Quarter of their own. Not to mention the valkyries. Maybe the draks were derived from them?

The crazy Ariel knight with the long pinkish/red hair reminds me so much of the crazy enemy gundam pilots from series like Gundam Seed.

I'm just so disappointed. Frontier, FB7, M30... and now Delta. It just feels like a downward spiral and we get further and further away from what made the original series the masterful classic it is. What happened with having believable characters that you care for? Recently, we only seem to get tired anime clichés. Freyja was just so annoying throughout the whole episode, even worse than the M30 girls... and her meeting with Hayate was boring.

Lets say it right here. Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, Macross Delta isn't SDF Macross.

Instead of doing a re-thread like what Macross II did Shoji Kawamori likes doing new stuff.

SDF Macross TV/DYRL, Macross Frontier TV/MF Movies Shoji Kawamori avoided setting canon cause he doesn't want it stifling his creativity. He isn't writing Delta just the overall director.