Shoji Kawamori, the creator Hollywood copies but never credits..

The original creator (insofar as there was one) of Robotech is dead. Most of those he worked with are, as far as I understand, no longer on the project. What leg is there to stand upon?

A creative director whose only talent is to always pull the nostalgia card using the worst aspects of the American comic book industry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone know where I can find certain information on Shoji Kawamori that you can't normally find in wikipedia. I remember reading somewhere that he graduated as an aircraft engineer and learned to how to fly a fighter with Miyatake at some point. I would most appreciate if you can provide links to it since I can't seem to find it here or through google.

Edited by Windrider

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find certain information on Shoji Kawamori that you can't normally find in wikipedia. I remember reading somewhere that he graduated as an aircraft engineer and learned to how to fly a fighter with Miyatake at some point. I would most appreciate if you can provide links to it since I can't seem to find it here or through google.

He entered university majoring in aerospace engineering but never graduated because his Studio Nue work was just too intensive. Had he not given up his studies, we would not have had DYRL. He had the opportunity to fly in a friendly dogfight, but it was with Ichiro Itano, not Miyatake.

Most of this information can be found in Japanese-language interviews in books and the blu-ray commentaries, etc.

We did an extra-long podcast on the Kawamori exhibition in Takarazuka last year which sort of serves as a retrospective of his life and work, but yeah, I would like eventually (sooner rather than later) do something which is more structured and has more of a narrative, because there is a lot of information out there already that has not been translated completely... A lot of interesting quirks of his can inform us of where his ideas in his shows come from, such as how he lets the weeds just take over his garden because that's the way to fully recreate and observe nature. :)

Anyway, if you have the time and interest, here you go.. ;)

Part 1:

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-31a-shoji-kawamoris-the-henkei-part-1/

Part 2:

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-31b-shoji-kawamoris-the-henkei-part-2/

Edited by Renato