1/72 Imai Destroid Spartan

pfunk

I think I wore out a set of files and went through a tube of putty

12301755_919820044720132_829726611541260

That's the best lookin Spartan I have seen.

I like how you captured the metallic finish with the coating and the harder edges...These are supposed to be heavy armor after all.

Too often the Spartan looks like a green blob of plastic rather than a kick-ass fighting machine.

That's the best lookin Spartan I have seen.

I like how you captured the metallic finish with the coating and the harder edges...These are supposed to be heavy armor after all.

Too often the Spartan looks like a green blob of plastic rather than a kick-ass fighting machine.

Wow, thanks! I appreciate it! The thing I tried to keep in mind was heavy construction equipment.

Never been a fan of the Spartan until I saw this build. Very "Heavy Industry", if you know what I mean...

Could you give us a quick walk through of your paint and weathering effects step by step?

I would like to know how you got the metallic look on the edges.

Would Tamiya Weathering Master do it?

Edited by arbit

• 3 weeks later...

Never been a fan of the Spartan until I saw this build. Very "Heavy Industry", if you know what I mean...

Could you give us a quick walk through of your paint and weathering effects step by step?

I would like to know how you got the metallic look on the edges.

Would Tamiya Weathering Master do it?

Sure, I use Tamiya Acrylics. I started with a dark green. I thought it was a little too dark so I resprayed with a lighter green, but I didn't fully cover the dark. I started in the center of the panels and worked my way out. Single action badger. The bases were a mix of green and whites with Tamiya airbrush thinner. I then cleared with future 50/50 and alcohol. Did the decals using the micro sol/set system. I did an enamel wash with a mix of black and brown. To get the edges I dry brushed them in with an aluminum Tamiya paint. I might have lightened it a bit if I remember right. Just like you said I was thinking of heavy equipment. After all the weathering was done I sealed it with model master lacquer dull cote mixed 50/50 lacquer thinner.

A ha, you used a dry brush on the edges. Gives a nice metal look.

I have been considering whether to try the hairspray and chip method, but it seems so long and tiresome.

Thanks, now I know which way to go.

Did you use enamel or acrylic aluminum paint after the Future?

If you have other destroids done, please share. Would love to see your work.

Edited by arbit

A ha, you used a dry brush on the edges. Gives a nice metal look.

I have been considering whether to try the hairspray and chip method, but it seems so long and tiresome.

Thanks, now I know which way to go.

Did you use enamel or acrylic aluminum paint after the Future?

If you have other destroids done, please share. Would love to see your work.

No problem, I used acrylic for everything except the wash and dullcote. I have a line up waiting for models. The rest of the destroids are in there from Wave lol. I recently did Evangelion unit 1 and am working on the Swordfish II from Cowboy Bebop right now.

Also I think the hairspray method looks pretty cool and adds depth, but for me it might be too much, it is good for corrosion and damage and I like to think newer military metals are non corrosive, but still paint wears off.

That really looks fantastic, but I can tell it was a lot of work. Reminds me to keep hoping that Wave will add the Spartan to their other three awesome 1/72 Destroid kits. It really doesn't seem to get a lot of love.

Thanks, I was hoping also,, I still need to sell my other IMAI 1/72 Destroids lol. And I never understood the 'no love' especially since Hikaru piloted it

I think I have an Imai Tomahawk, Defender, and Spartan stashed somewhere - maybe at my parents' house from when I moved out years ago. I considered selling them (once I find them), but I may end up building them for practice before I work on the Wave kits. The Spartan is probably the best-looking, in my opinion. The guns (arms) on both the Tomahawk and Defender are really chunky looking, among other things, which is why I never built them. The kits were pretty disappointing when compared to the artwork on the boxes.

One follow-up question for you: how does your Spartan compared to the Wave Destroids in terms of size? I'm curious as to whether the two manufacturers got the scale approximately the same so they look "correct" when viewed together.

I just finished reading through an old discussion about Yamato's 1/60 Destroids and the frustration about them not producing the Spartan in that line (or the Phalanx, for that matter). I hadn't thought about the fact that the Tomahawk, Defender, and Phalanx all share the same lower half, which saves on model tooling. That makes me think that it's unlikely Wave will produce the Spartan, for the same reason that Yamato didn't (all new tooling needed for a model of questionable popularity). I think I better consider following your lead if I want to have a Spartan in my collection.

One follow-up question for you: how does your Spartan compared to the Wave Destroids in terms of size? I'm curious as to whether the two manufacturers got the scale approximately the same so they look "correct" when viewed together.

Actually I will find out this year, I plan on building the Wave kits after I finish the swordfish II.

Your Spartan needs arm mounted Underslung miniguns... for Anti UN troop clearance in urban environments.

Maybe some 1/48 scale miniguns, 2 per arm?

• 7 months later...