Jump to content

DX Chogokin YF-29 (Alto) Durandal Valkyrie - Reissue


joppewo

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, ridgebacks said:

Interesting. One question thou, since the Flory wash is clay based, will it play nice with the reissue yf29's flat coating?

I'm no expert. But from what I know and understand on panel washing, it's hard to apply the 'capillary action' method on any flat surfaced/coated kits. Yes, you still can apply panel wash but don't expect that it's going to flow smoothly. And since Flory Wash is water-based it's safe to wipe any unwanted applied areas easily than thinner-based paints.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally received mine from Amazon jp. love the matt finish. 

One thing with the head lasers, there's a groove for them but because the head lasers are straight up, they don't fit into those grooves. 

But everything is tight. Maybe too tight. Till now, I couldn't even open the canopy :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bunch of the doors on the super parts on both my copies do not sit flush at all. This goes back to what I wrote awhile back about how Bandai valks have always had an inferior fit and finish to Yamato.

I'm going to have to dig out my original YF-29 super parts from storage and see if they were like this too.

PXL_20201027_065447337.thumb.jpg.e0d77ed0ef00821de715a09f3b82d88e.jpg

 

This one is especially egregious.

PXL_20201027_070058992.thumb.jpg.28c99f8e314eab7bdcd7afc17cfc91e1.jpg

Edited by Lolicon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lolicon said:

A bunch of the doors on the super parts on both my copies do not sit flush at all. This goes back to what I wrote awhile back about how Bandai valks have always had an inferior fit and finish to Yamato.

I'm going to have to dig out my original YF-29 super parts from storage and see if they were like this too.

PXL_20201027_065447337.thumb.jpg.e0d77ed0ef00821de715a09f3b82d88e.jpg

 

This one is especially egregious.

PXL_20201027_070058992.thumb.jpg.28c99f8e314eab7bdcd7afc17cfc91e1.jpg

Mine aren't really flush either, but not as bad as that one on the bottom of your pics.

Here's mine. Original on the left. New on the right.

20201027_210208.thumb.jpg.ac1f10f76856931cf90b35804f1ebac2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Mine aren't really flush either, but not as bad as that one on the bottom of your pics.

Here's mine. Original on the left. New on the right.

20201027_210208.thumb.jpg.ac1f10f76856931cf90b35804f1ebac2.jpg

I see you've already started working on them. Mine will have to wait a few weeks as I have some PS4 games that need playing. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine arrived yesterday evening and it’s a beauty! I haven’t transformed it yet to check the shoulder but, for me, that is a minor issue even if it’s there. As long as it doesn’t break. 
 

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Lolicon said:

I see you've already started working on them. Mine will have to wait a few weeks as I have some PS4 games that need playing. :lol:

Mine is in pieces right now as I took it apart to get at the green clear piece in the nose section. Trying to figure out a better way to paint the frame as the way I did it before was a pain in the butt.

 

On another note, is it just on mine that the addon fuel tanks are missing the black arrow markings on the bottom vernier thrusters?

The original has them on all three (top, side, bottom).

20201029_001524.thumb.jpg.448dc6861146da8ecb85ebc33cbb9c07.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Mine is in pieces right now as I took it apart to get at the green clear piece in the nose section. Trying to figure out a better way to paint the frame as the way I did it before was a pain in the butt.

 

On another note, is it just on mine that the addon fuel tanks are missing the black arrow markings on the bottom vernier thrusters?

The original has them on all three (top, side, bottom).

20201029_001524.thumb.jpg.448dc6861146da8ecb85ebc33cbb9c07.jpg

Good luck painting those sensors! My hands aren't steady enough for that kind of work.

My fuel tanks have the black arrows on them. Looks like another victim of Bandai's crappy QC lottery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Little Alto shelf.  Overall, I'm happy with this release, but I can't help but feel like the 9 year old mold really shows its age in handling.  I'm not sure if I'd really be in for a matte-reissue of all the Frontier valks, as I don't really feel like they are the same value the other "modern" DX releases are.  I might be in for an Ozma 25S, and maybe some armor parts, but I'd probably stop there.

They still look good on a shelf, though.

IMG_20201029_213335.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Little Alto shelf.  Overall, I'm happy with this release, but I can't help but feel like the 9 year old mold really shows its age in handling.  I'm not sure if I'd really be in for a matte-reissue of all the Frontier valks, as I don't really feel like they are the same value the other "modern" DX releases are.  I might be in for an Ozma 25S, and maybe some armor parts, but I'd probably stop there.

They still look good on a shelf, though.

IMG_20201029_213335.jpg

Where is Alto's 171EX?? You got to have that one otherwise your shelf is not complete... :mellow: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, borgified said:

Where is Alto's 171EX?? You got to have that one otherwise your shelf is not complete... :mellow: 

 

8 hours ago, jemC said:

agree. You need the 171EX to complete the shelf

Ehh... I'm not a big enough fan of Alto or Frontier (or the 171 for that matter) to suffer that toy.  Maybe if Bandai ever decides to completely redesign it, I'd take a look at it.  A straight reissue would be an easy pass, for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Just a FYI, the shoulders ought to be a relatively easy fix.

There's a screw holding the bottom half on, just undo it to open up the joint and find what's sticking out on the ball-joint, or tighten it to force the shoulder closed.

Have you done this on yours or are you saying theoretically?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Have you done this on yours or are you saying theoretically?

Doing it right now.

Wow, that screw is tight.

 

[edit] Ok, that wasn't too bad. Just a really tight screw.

Can't pull the shoulder clamshell open entirely, as the pin on the other end holds it together, but a spudger let me pry it open enough to remove the arm.

20201030_180818.jpg

Edited by Sanity is Optional
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Doing it right now.

Wow, that screw is tight.

 

[edit] Ok, that wasn't too bad. Just a really tight screw.

Can't pull the shoulder clamshell open entirely, as the pin on the other end holds it together, but a spudger let me pry it open enough to remove the arm.

20201030_180818.jpg

Oh nice! Look forward to seeing the results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Oh nice! Look forward to seeing the results. 

So in my case, mine had a small gap (on both sides).

I decided to leave it with that small gap (I.E. not shaving down the polycap or sanding the metal), so that I can tighten it up in the future when it gets loose.

I did check that without the ball the clamshell closes up all the way, so it's not an issue with those parts.

If you have one with a large gap, I'd guess that there's a nub or some flash on one of the parts preventing it from closing. Open it up and check would be my first step.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...