DX Chogokin YF-29 (Alto) Durandal Valkyrie - Reissue

joppewo

Finally received mine from Amazon jp. love the matt finish. 

One thing with the head lasers, there's a groove for them but because the head lasers are straight up, they don't fit into those grooves. 

But everything is tight. Maybe too tight. Till now, I couldn't even open the canopy :(

A bunch of the doors on the super parts on both my copies do not sit flush at all. This goes back to what I wrote awhile back about how Bandai valks have always had an inferior fit and finish to Yamato.

I'm going to have to dig out my original YF-29 super parts from storage and see if they were like this too.

PXL_20201027_065447337.thumb.jpg.e0d77ed0ef00821de715a09f3b82d88e.jpg

This one is especially egregious.

PXL_20201027_070058992.thumb.jpg.28c99f8e314eab7bdcd7afc17cfc91e1.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

18 hours ago, Lolicon said:

A bunch of the doors on the super parts on both my copies do not sit flush at all. This goes back to what I wrote awhile back about how Bandai valks have always had an inferior fit and finish to Yamato.

I'm going to have to dig out my original YF-29 super parts from storage and see if they were like this too.

PXL_20201027_065447337.thumb.jpg.e0d77ed0ef00821de715a09f3b82d88e.jpg

This one is especially egregious.

PXL_20201027_070058992.thumb.jpg.28c99f8e314eab7bdcd7afc17cfc91e1.jpg

Mine aren't really flush either, but not as bad as that one on the bottom of your pics.

Here's mine. Original on the left. New on the right.

20201027_210208.thumb.jpg.ac1f10f76856931cf90b35804f1ebac2.jpg

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Mine aren't really flush either, but not as bad as that one on the bottom of your pics.

Here's mine. Original on the left. New on the right.

20201027_210208.thumb.jpg.ac1f10f76856931cf90b35804f1ebac2.jpg

I see you've already started working on them. Mine will have to wait a few weeks as I have some PS4 games that need playing. :lol:

Mine arrived yesterday evening and it’s a beauty! I haven’t transformed it yet to check the shoulder but, for me, that is a minor issue even if it’s there. As long as it doesn’t break. 

Chris

On 10/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Lolicon said:

I see you've already started working on them. Mine will have to wait a few weeks as I have some PS4 games that need playing. :lol:

Mine is in pieces right now as I took it apart to get at the green clear piece in the nose section. Trying to figure out a better way to paint the frame as the way I did it before was a pain in the butt.

On another note, is it just on mine that the addon fuel tanks are missing the black arrow markings on the bottom vernier thrusters?

The original has them on all three (top, side, bottom).

20201029_001524.thumb.jpg.448dc6861146da8ecb85ebc33cbb9c07.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Mine is in pieces right now as I took it apart to get at the green clear piece in the nose section. Trying to figure out a better way to paint the frame as the way I did it before was a pain in the butt.

On another note, is it just on mine that the addon fuel tanks are missing the black arrow markings on the bottom vernier thrusters?

The original has them on all three (top, side, bottom).

20201029_001524.thumb.jpg.448dc6861146da8ecb85ebc33cbb9c07.jpg

Good luck painting those sensors! My hands aren't steady enough for that kind of work.

My fuel tanks have the black arrows on them. Looks like another victim of Bandai's crappy QC lottery.

Little Alto shelf.  Overall, I'm happy with this release, but I can't help but feel like the 9 year old mold really shows its age in handling.  I'm not sure if I'd really be in for a matte-reissue of all the Frontier valks, as I don't really feel like they are the same value the other "modern" DX releases are.  I might be in for an Ozma 25S, and maybe some armor parts, but I'd probably stop there.

They still look good on a shelf, though.

IMG_20201029_213335.jpg

2 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Little Alto shelf.  Overall, I'm happy with this release, but I can't help but feel like the 9 year old mold really shows its age in handling.  I'm not sure if I'd really be in for a matte-reissue of all the Frontier valks, as I don't really feel like they are the same value the other "modern" DX releases are.  I might be in for an Ozma 25S, and maybe some armor parts, but I'd probably stop there.

They still look good on a shelf, though.

IMG_20201029_213335.jpg

Where is Alto's 171EX?? You got to have that one otherwise your shelf is not complete... :mellow: 

11 hours ago, borgified said:

Where is Alto's 171EX?? You got to have that one otherwise your shelf is not complete... :mellow: 

8 hours ago, jemC said:

agree. You need the 171EX to complete the shelf

Ehh... I'm not a big enough fan of Alto or Frontier (or the 171 for that matter) to suffer that toy.  Maybe if Bandai ever decides to completely redesign it, I'd take a look at it.  A straight reissue would be an easy pass, for me.

26 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Just a FYI, the shoulders ought to be a relatively easy fix.

There's a screw holding the bottom half on, just undo it to open up the joint and find what's sticking out on the ball-joint, or tighten it to force the shoulder closed.

Have you done this on yours or are you saying theoretically?

25 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Have you done this on yours or are you saying theoretically?

Doing it right now.

Wow, that screw is tight.

[edit] Ok, that wasn't too bad. Just a really tight screw.

Can't pull the shoulder clamshell open entirely, as the pin on the other end holds it together, but a spudger let me pry it open enough to remove the arm.

20201030_180818.jpg

Edited by Sanity is Optional

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Doing it right now.

Wow, that screw is tight.

[edit] Ok, that wasn't too bad. Just a really tight screw.

Can't pull the shoulder clamshell open entirely, as the pin on the other end holds it together, but a spudger let me pry it open enough to remove the arm.

20201030_180818.jpg

Oh nice! Look forward to seeing the results. 

40 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Oh nice! Look forward to seeing the results. 

So in my case, mine had a small gap (on both sides).

I decided to leave it with that small gap (I.E. not shaving down the polycap or sanding the metal), so that I can tighten it up in the future when it gets loose.

I did check that without the ball the clamshell closes up all the way, so it's not an issue with those parts.

If you have one with a large gap, I'd guess that there's a nub or some flash on one of the parts preventing it from closing. Open it up and check would be my first step.