DX Chogokin YF-29 (Alto) Durandal Valkyrie - Reissue

joppewo

2 hours ago, Angesdad said:

I forced myself to watch the movie Macross Frontier goodbye wings of something in short clips only because of this release. It's cool but I am not jumping the gun to get it.

Oh the peer pressure...Am I missing out?:lol: 

You are missing out on Isamu's, Roy's 30th Anniversary tribute in the VF-1s colours, Osma and the RB versions. mon ami and no I haven't got a 29 yet (which should be rectified when this worldwide madness is over).   

Mine has the split left shoulder as well though I’m not sure if my other 29’s had the same problem. I guess it’s never bothered me if so. In regards to better joints, except for the ratcheted wings, it doesn’t feel that the extra screws on the hips made any difference since the left leg is somewhat looser than the right. 

sorry for the bad random cellphone pic

E47A384E-4BE0-4EFC-A88E-2A85FF5279B2.jpeg

Edited by OzmaLee74

Anime-export ,DHL . thanks  @tjdetweiler:lol:

I haven’t gotten things from anime export for so long , I didn’t even know that have their own boxes now .  But everything is still nicely packed .

IMG_0728.thumb.jpg.033d17f0af3c9b92dc1f4951ac97ee88.jpg

IMG_0729.thumb.jpg.ffde0b94c59ac1c2a8bbd15b03613b0d.jpg

the main reason for my YF-29 purchase was these fastpacks  .  I originally thought the yf-29 was OP enough , so didn't get it for any of my YF-29s.  IMG_0730.thumb.jpg.b11b6104d4d4ceb539c4851d29f84253.jpg

3 hours ago, F360 said:

Anime-export ,DHL . thanks  @tjdetweiler:lol:

I haven’t gotten things from anime export for so long , I didn’t even know that have their own boxes now .  But everything is still nicely packed .

Hold up a sec. AE is offering DHL now? They've been pushing that sketchy, off-brand courier service on customers for months. DHL would be a welcome change.

So I transformed my new YF-29, and I can see a small gap on the shoulders.

However, there is a screw holding the shoulders closed, so it looks pretty straightforwards to open them up see where the gap's coming from. My guess is a nub or molding line on the Polycap shoulder ball.

In the plus side, since there's still a small gap, this means the shoulders can be tightened up as they wear.

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Hold up a sec. AE is offering DHL now? They've been pushing that sketchy, off-brand courier service on customers for months. DHL would be a welcome change.

yup , pure DHL this time ,  shipped on the 20th , delivered on the 22th. :lol:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

The old and the new.

Like @Sanity is Optional mentioned, it might be worthwhile to swap the head lasers since I was fortunate enough to get straight ones on the old version and the new ones are too thick to sit flush in fighter mode.

Why, Bandai, why? :unknw:

50522254308_70aa71fc6d_o.jpg

I noticed you had yours sitting in the grooves, I guess it's because you swapped them?

Oh well, for now mine's in battroid mode anyway, where it doesn't matter.

On the whole, every single joint feels tighter, as do the various connections. It took me like 20minutes to get the intakes separated because the clips were so tight.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I noticed you had yours sitting in the grooves, I guess it's because you swapped them?

Oh well, for now mine's in battroid mode anyway, where it doesn't matter.

On the whole, every single joint feels tighter, as do the various connections. It took me like 20minutes to get the intakes separated because the clips were so tight.

Not yet. It's still not flush. But the white has faded on my original and the slight difference in white may bug me even more than the lasers not sitting perfectly flush.

22 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Love the new non-glossy finish. Would love to see the rest of the Frontier line with this finish and other improvements (non-exploding 171 triangles, no stupid swappable wings, improved leg mechanism, etc).

50522254378_5a623bb851_o.jpg

Oh how I LOVE that white landing gear. Gorgeous. :wub:

9 minutes ago, twich said:

are those white landing gear a custom? or is Bandai giving us painted gear now?  Sorry if this was answered earlier.

Twich

Custom painted by master @Lolicon.  He painted all of his DX's landing gears and panel lined it. :good:

Edited by no3Ljm

On 10/24/2020 at 4:04 AM, Lolicon said:

Love the new non-glossy finish. Would love to see the rest of the Frontier line with this finish and other improvements (non-exploding 171 triangles, no stupid swappable wings, improved leg mechanism, etc).

50522978001_13953f9f44_o.jpg

50522254378_5a623bb851_o.jpg

For panel lining the new 29, what do you recommend? I only have the gundam panel line marks. Do those work ok on the new matt finish?

3 hours ago, ridgebacks said:

For panel lining the new 29, what do you recommend? I only have the gundam panel line marks. Do those work ok on the new matt finish?

They do, but I wouldn't recommend using them. The panel lines will turn out too thick with them and far too dark or strangely colored.

I'd say go with oil paints thinned with odorless mineral spirits or enamel paint highly mixed with a high ratio of thinner and just dab into the panel line with a fine brush.

Alternatively, you could use a mechanical pencil.

Any of the above are easy to clean up mistakes.

28 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

They do, but I wouldn't recommend using them. The panel lines will turn out too thick with them and far too dark or strangely colored.

I'd say go with oil paints thinned with odorless mineral spirits or enamel paint highly mixed with a high ratio of thinner and just dab into the panel line with a fine brush.

Alternatively, you could use a mechanical pencil.

Any of the above are easy to clean up mistakes.

Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color is another good option:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/enamel-detail/panel-line-accent-color-2/black/

Comes in multiple colors. Basically pre-thinned enamel paint. Easy cleanup with a q-tip and some enamel thinner.

Two posts from myself

(1) @DYRL VF-1S has a DX YF-29 Full set for grabs in the For Sale Thread (Check it out)

(2) Manda has one as well for 25k yen 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1150198854&ref=list&keyword=マクロス&lang=en

Edited by borgified

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Flory's is also not active on plastic. IIRC Tamiya on ABS is fine, but it can damage model kits if they're not top-coated.

Yes, I think that can happen on some kits if you're not careful during the application process. Glad it comes with a precision applicator. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there of people applying it directly to bare plastic on Gundam kits and it seems to be fine, but it's something you'd want to test on a kit before committing. Flory is another good option. Haven't tried it yet.

1 minute ago, ridgebacks said:

Interesting. One question thou, since the Flory wash is clay based, will it play nice with the reissue yf29's flat coating?

Flory's is great. it's non-reactive, so it should be fine.

I use it to weather everything.

11 minutes ago, ridgebacks said:

Interesting. One question thou, since the Flory wash is clay based, will it play nice with the reissue yf29's flat coating?

I'm no expert. But from what I know and understand on panel washing, it's hard to apply the 'capillary action' method on any flat surfaced/coated kits. Yes, you still can apply panel wash but don't expect that it's going to flow smoothly. And since Flory Wash is water-based it's safe to wipe any unwanted applied areas easily than thinner-based paints.