DX Chogokin YF-29 (Alto) Durandal Valkyrie - Reissue

joppewo

2 hours ago, anubis20 said:

I wonder if they will do anything about the crotch lock? On the very 1st 29 I had, once I equipped the super parts, the crotch lock would come apart at the slightest bump. Then I got the SWS reissue but I never put the supers on because I was afraid it would weaken the crotch lock.

My Michael VF-25G renewal is like that especially with the supers attached.  

8 minutes ago, subie81 said:

Are there any confirmed improvements with this release? Or is it just a straight reissue? My yf-29 suffered floppy joint syndrome.

It's supposed to have made the hip joints better. In what way, it has to be seen. I see this as possibly Bandai testing the waters to rerelease Frontier valks with the same changes and so far, it seems to have sold well unless this is just a case of FOMO. Either way, if the supposed changes doesn't really hold up well or isn't considered a significant improvement by the buyers, the next attempted Frontier reissue will be a flop. There are other areas that the Frontier valks need improvement but got left out. 

I’m really hyped up with this 1.5 release. @crackpot is right in that if this is successful and no QC issues occur on release, we could see a full sms (full set) squadron release. Let’s not forget that they could just reissue previous -29 releases with this 1.5 upgrade.

16 minutes ago, crackpot said:

It's supposed to have made the hip joints better. In what way, it has to be seen. I see this as possibly Bandai testing the waters to rerelease Frontier valks with the same changes and so far, it seems to have sold well unless this is just a case of FOMO. Either way, if the supposed changes doesn't really hold up well or isn't considered a significant improvement by the buyers, the next attempted Frontier reissue will be a flop. There are other areas that the Frontier valks need improvement but got left out. 

I suspect that even a straight reissue of the renewal valks would sell well. That said, the legs of the 29 are basically the same as the 25 so the improvements here would definitely go to reissues. They've mentioned improved hips and ankles. I would agree that improved crotch lock would be nice. I think my Michael has a pretty soft lock there. They also need to go to ratcheted shoulder joints so they don't droop down. A reworked head platform would also be nice. Did I miss anything?

20 minutes ago, crackpot said:

9 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

I’m really hyped up with this 1.5 release. @crackpot is right in that if this is successful and no QC issues occur on release, we could see a full sms (full set) squadron release. Let’s not forget that they could just reissue previous -29 releases with this 1.5 upgrade.

Yeah I'd love that.  Next to the VF-1 (& VF-0), the Frontier Valks are my favorite.  I started collecting late in the game so I was warned to stay away from basically the Frontier line and renewals.  I'm excited to get the YF-29 Alto.  Just hoping that these re-releases don't stall the VF-1 series.

31 minutes ago, crackpot said:

thanks for the clarification buddy. Yeah I agree, there are other areas of improvement that the 29’s need reworked. My shoulders drop like crazy. And in batrroid mode, my 29 seems to fall back. I don’t know if it’s due to the weight in the back or the hips aren’t sturdy enough. Hopefully the new hips improves that.

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I suspect that even a straight reissue of the renewal valks would sell well. That said, the legs of the 29 are basically the same as the 25 so the improvements here would definitely go to reissues. They've mentioned improved hips and ankles. I would agree that improved crotch lock would be nice. I think my Michael has a pretty soft lock there. They also need to go to ratcheted shoulder joints so they don't droop down. A reworked head platform would also be nice. Did I miss anything?

The looseness of the hip joints of the renewals can be remedied with some liquid floor polish or varnish. So if the hip joint is their only selling point for this reissue, it's not worth it for me to get the others. If they improve the upper body and head with locking mechanisms to hold its place, then I'm all in. 

4 hours ago, subie81 said:

Are there any confirmed improvements with this release? Or is it just a straight reissue? My yf-29 suffered floppy joint syndrome.

According to this...

YF29fullset_web_0522_.jpg

...the three new design features appear to be

1) removable head fin with a spare included

2) new hip joints

3) new/reinforced wing engine pivots?

Having to address floppy joints is one of the many things that make fixing up Frontier valks such a laborious process. The hips and shoulders and ankles on nearly all of my copies were loose right out of the box, among other problems. 

I'm looking forward to this YF-29 but really wish they had addressed the shoulders. And I wish Bandai would quit using excessive amounts of diecast when it's not needed. It's a bothered touching up all that chipped paint. 

Ratcheting engine pods?  Oh man...  

Anyways---I hope they improved the paint adhesion on the feet!  I know it was an issue with Ozma's, maybe other -29's as well?  (and actually, my reissue renewal Alto is starting to have issues there, too..)  

Can some who is good in Japanese translate the text below the October 2020 Debut? Google image translate says "the body has been textured according to the specifications of the latest DX Superalloy is a glossy expression"

We all know that all of the DX toys recently has textured plastic (non-glossy) but the last translated words is throwing it all :lol:

56 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

Can some who is good in Japanese translate the text below the October 2020 Debut? Google image translate says "the body has been textured according to the specifications of the latest DX Superalloy is a glossy expression"

We all know that all of the DX toys recently has textured plastic (non-glossy) but the last translated words is throwing it all :lol:

Having a matte finish would elevate the beauty on this bird. Reading some Japanese twitter comments, they took the same quote and claimed they were happy the finish would be closer to the latest DX releases. Hopefully, someone who reads Japanese  well can chime in here. 

My Japanese isn't great (just regular daily conversation skills) but I looked at the sentence in question.

最新DX超合金の仕様に合わせて   シボ加工された本体は艶を押さえた表現

The first half just says according to the newest DX chogokin specifications.

The second half says the main body has been textured and the glossy finish has been suppressed/held down.

I'm taking that as meaning Bandai retooled the molds so it no longer as a glossy finish. :yahoo:

22 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

My Japanese isn't great (just regular daily conversation skills) but I looked at the sentence in question.

最新DX超合金の仕様に合わせて   シボ加工された本体は艶を押さえた表現

The first half just says according to the newest DX chogokin specifications.

The second half says the main body has been textured and the glossy finish has been suppressed/held down.

I'm taking that as meaning Bandai retooled the molds so it no longer as a glossy finish. :yahoo:

This pleases me. Thank you for the translation! 

ELB5erLX0AADmIJ.jpg.e87cd4aaae5e2c40b7aa4cc616512908.jpg

I'd prefer it if they rebuilt the VF-25 from the ground up so it's as good as or even better than the VF-31, but I'll re-buy all the Frontier valks again even with the modest YF-29 fixes.

If they do re-release the 25s, I wonder if Bandai will reissue all the different accessory sets too? All with new matte finishes, of course.

41 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I'd prefer it if they rebuilt the VF-25 from the ground up so it's as good as or even better than the VF-31, but I'll re-buy all the Frontier valks again even with the modest YF-29 fixes.

If they do re-release the 25s, I wonder if Bandai will reissue all the different accessory sets too? All with new matte finishes, of course.

Gift-sets!!!!!

That would leave some oddballs though for the folks who had two sets of accessories.... make the second set a TWE exclusive gift-set? 

20 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Super parts, armor parts, tornado parts... that's a lot of gift sets!

I think Alto is the only one who had all 3, so there's at least that.

Ozma only had Super and Armor

Luca only had Super

Michael had Super and Tornado

If they start cranking out Frontier reissues with upgrades, my wallet will suffer greatly and the DX VF-1 and HMR releases will have to get spaced out even further because it seems like Bandai only sets aside a small amount of their production capacity for Macross. Yes, I'm still hopeful that we'll get more HMRs. I want the remaining Destroids and all of the enemy mecha dammit!

Edited by Anasazi37

I think it is a little early to assume we're going to get a full wave of 2.5 Frontier valks.  I could see them doing an Ozma yf-29 full set pack, maybe an Isamu.  

If those sell well, maybe they'll go to vf-25s.  But we had the YF-29 Alto teased about a year before the pre-order went up, so we'll probably have plenty of time to prepare.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I think Alto is the only one who had all 3, so there's at least that.

Ozma only had Super and Armor

Luca only had Super

Michael had Super and Tornado

which are what Bandai did release on their V1 gift / bundle set. (maybe except an armored alto)

I'll assume they didn't add in the "missing" tabs to lock the turret down in fighter mode?  There's slots molded in the legs, but no corresponding tabs on the turret underside.  I've always been convinced they "forgot" to add in the tabs, since the turret "popping up and out a bit if you look at it funny" in fighter mode has always been an issue, along with the shield being forced out of position by the pressure. But if there was a set of turret-tabs to lock into those otherwise-pointless leg slots, then the whole turret/leg/shield area would be rock-solid.  

It’s definitely too early to tell if we will get full sms teams with their packs. Bandai has a weird way of releasing items by teasing them and not releasing for years (I’m looking at you HMR VF-0S from that one event where pics were banned)

we still haven’t even gotten the VF-19k.