DX Chogokin YF-29 (Alto) Durandal Valkyrie - Reissue

joppewo

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

If this has a matte finish like rumours suggest, i will be a sucker and buy this again.

I'd be all in if they changed the hip joints to ratchets, matte finish like you said and made sure the crotch connectors were made of materials that did not crack over time. It would also nice if battroid mode had an improved locking mechanism of the chest. 

5 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I'd be all in if they changed the hip joints to ratchets, matte finish like you said and made sure the crotch connectors were made of materials that did not crack over time. It would also nice if battroid mode had an improved locking mechanism of the chest. 

Regarding the chest, I thought all we have to do with the 25/29’s chest lock mechanism is to pull down more the shoulder portion towards the back so everything locks in place?

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Regarding the chest, I thought all we have to do with the 25/29’s chest lock mechanism is to pull down more the shoulder portion towards the back so everything locks in place?

For me, I'd want a more well-designed chest locking mechanism where part A and part B make a lock and key kind of connection rather than smooshing parts together and relying on the tightness of hinges to keep it all together. In other words I'd like a locking mechanism similar to the VF-31 mold. 

Edited by SuperHobo

That is exactly what noel is saying.. pulling down the shoulder (proper transformation) will lock all the chest pieces together. Most of the renewal 25 toy I saw in social medias are not properly transformed in this aspect.

the chest is one of the most secured aspect of the 25/29. I played a lot with my 25 and the biggest problem are the hip and system of shoulders jointssss that can't be tightened

1 hour ago, chyll2 said:

That is exactly what noel is saying.. pulling down the shoulder (proper transformation) will lock all the chest pieces together. Most of the renewal 25 toy I saw in social medias are not properly transformed in this aspect.

the chest is one of the most secured aspect of the 25/29. I played a lot with my 25 and the biggest problem are the hip and system of shoulders jointssss that can't be tightened

Pulling down the shoulders messes with the proportions of the VF-25 and it's still just relying on the tightness of the hinges than a secure male and female part holding parts of the chest together. Even when the shoulders were pulled all the way down the neck assembly still awkwardly floated over the fuselage of the plane.  Bandai did a great job with the VF-31 chest and backplate locking in place with dedicated clips that made for a very solid battroid mode. I'd like to see the same engineering carried over to the 29/25 mold. 

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

And superhobo is saying that it's a crappy "locking" system that doesn't actually lock anything (not to mention it looks stupid).

It's like saying the shoulders aren't loose if you use a Tamashii stand to hold the arms up.

Yup. In other words, no more half-baked locking systems on the 25/29 please. 

19 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

For me, I'd want a more well-designed chest locking mechanism where part A and part B make a lock and key kind of connection rather than smooshing parts together and relying on the tightness of hinges to keep it all together. In other words I'd like a locking mechanism similar to the VF-31 mold. 

Got it. I agree that the 31's locking mechanism is far more superior than the 25/29's. But I also think that it was depending on how the Valk was designed initially. The 25/29's reminds me of like a sandwich, in which you need to squeeze both ends so tight you don't make a spill. ^_^

What about toothpicks with pickle slices on them? Could we use something like that on a loose ball joint? :)

seriously though, I have a renewal 25 and like it plenty, but I think the “mash it all together and push these hinges into place just right” is a weird design at best. 

I like the 25’s profile better than the 31 in battroid. The 31’s weird flipping rotating accordion torso and huge backpack looks awkward to me. I do like the locks on it better than the 25 though. 

I doubt this will involve any changes though I’d be real interested in an updated 29. 

I agree on the chest plate, it takes an otherwise very graceful transformation (when the joints are stiff at least) and adds a step that feels haphazard. I think that was the big step up the 31 introduced, transformation of that toy is a joy (except for scratched paint). If this toy is getting reissued (WHY??) I would be amazed to see any changes at all.. Probably Bandai testing the waters to see if they need to revise the mold or if the old version is still "good enough." That said, Bandai also has a history of using a mold again while deep into design work for its replacement.

• 3 months later...

Love it. I just recently briefly owned a YF-29b and liked it quite a bit, but I couldn't a "place" for it on my shelves, so I let it go. I want a YF-29, and now looking at what I have I think Alto's 29 could fit. Hoping since they've shown it at some places recently Bandai might have a reissue lined up for the 10th anniversary of Sayonara no Tsubasa next year.

Would really like to see a "v2" of it, but I don't know how likely that is.

Edited by jeniusornome

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't expecting a new review, but we just got one today:

(ironically, I just took OFF the super parts from my Ozma recently---I often like to do a "half" version, with the shield and boosters, but not the wing parts---still looks cool, but battroid poses a lot better without the weight of the wing parts)  

Awesome as always Jenius, your work is much appreciated.

EDIT: I just noticed your Ozma's turret flops around a bit, I had the same problem. I tried to work some nail polish in the swing joint and it *kinda* worked but there's not a lot of space and didn't want to pop the pin.

Edited by aurance

I think each of my YF-29s have ONE floppy joint, none of them have the same floppy joint. The worst offender is Isamu, he has one shoulder joint that is floppy and won't stay up which has to be the most frustrating floppy joint you can get on these. My Alto toy probably has the loosest hips but a little tightening to the screw in the back helps with that. It's such a great toy though. A renewal version would look incredibly similar but with a matte finish and redesigned joints to address these loosening issues and that'd be pretty much all they would need to do. 

Nice review Jenius.

I can’t remember the last time I handled these. Sure I transformed each of them one or twice each and then they went into their cardboard coffins. The  YF-29 is a beautiful bird. But with the super parts it just seems okay. Not fond of the gloves that goes over each wing. Bandai could have done a better job to reduce the additional weight and stress on the wings.

Honestly, I don’t remember if mine had any floppy joints as I usually take measures to address such things. 

Need to pull these out again. 

Maybe one day...

4 hours ago, jenius said:

I think each of my YF-29s have ONE floppy joint, none of them have the same floppy joint. The worst offender is Isamu, he has one shoulder joint that is floppy and won't stay up which has to be the most frustrating floppy joint you can get on these. My Alto toy probably has the loosest hips but a little tightening to the screw in the back helps with that. It's such a great toy though. A renewal version would look incredibly similar but with a matte finish and redesigned joints to address these loosening issues and that'd be pretty much all they would need to do. 

I'm not sure how they'd do that.  Even the 31's with their updated hip mechanism are now getting loose on me too.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, jenius said:

Now if I can only get around to reviewing the renewal tornado parts... some day.

I would love to see it! I installed my Tornado parts once but they seemed just incredibly oversized and there was a massive droop to the wings. Not sure if I installed them poorly or if that's just the way they worked. My 29 had already turned into a floppy mess at that point at I didn't want it happening to my 25, so I swapped back to regular supers pretty quick.

On the topic of the 29's super parts, do people find they weigh down the wings the way the Tornado parts do? I've always kind of held off buying them because I was worried they'd make my 29 floppier than it already was. I have the Isamu version, FWIW. 

My experience with the renewal tornado parts is similar... I had them on once and said "Nope, don't like that", threw them back in the box and that was that. I definitely did not get the same vibe from the YF-29 super parts. Yeah, they add a bit of weight to the wing, but they don't induce that yucky saggy feeling you get from tornado parts. 

Another big part of the reason I never reviewed the renewal tornado parts is because I kept telling myself I would do it after I got a version 1 Michael with Tornado parts set so I could compare them.. but the version 1 toys are so bad in comparison to the renewals I could never convince myself to buy that one. :D

5 hours ago, Rhubarbarian said:

I would love to see it! I installed my Tornado parts once but they seemed just incredibly oversized and there was a massive droop to the wings. Not sure if I installed them poorly or if that's just the way they worked. My 29 had already turned into a floppy mess at that point at I didn't want it happening to my 25, so I swapped back to regular supers pretty quick.

On the topic of the 29's super parts, do people find they weigh down the wings the way the Tornado parts do? I've always kind of held off buying them because I was worried they'd make my 29 floppier than it already was. I have the Isamu version, FWIW. 

Bandai has a chronic problem making their add on accessories too damn heavy.  I’ve left the Tornado turret on Alto in Gerwalk a la his look at the end of the first Movie and I have the Tornado/Supers combo backpack and super parts on Michael.  The actual Tornado wing parts are terribly designed and are too heavy.

Weight of the parts aside, I find the YF-29 super parts are the best design among the all the add-ons for Frontier mecha. It actually integrates well & enhances the base valkyrie lines, and in Bandai's toy form, the fit & tolerances are quite perfect without unsightly seams or gaps..

12 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It was something about putting plastic shims along the inside of the tornado parts where they contact the underside of the wings, right?

Yeah that's the fix.

Sagging Tornado parts? What's that?

2105801007_VF-25FTornado001.jpg.cf5a5f6cc05b0de6b68313358a24676d.jpg

This is the first time in a few years since I've taken my Tornado parts out of storage and I do like them. Maybe I'll have to keep them on display from now on.

1299743324_VF-25FTornado002.jpg.ead51bf0d7d4be50e0aef53cbdc13742.jpg

Err, to keep things on topic, I have to say I was never a fan of the YF-29 super parts, at least on Alto's version (never messed with them on the others). With the super parts on, it's one step away from being a Gundam. Just needs a V fin. :p

Edited by Lolicon