1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's likely to be Discovery's next port of call if the viewers who were previously following the series on Netflix prove as unwilling to pay for yet another streaming service just so they can watch Star Trek as their American counterparts were/are.  Possibly all of new Trek, given that they were dependent on more cashflow-positive financial backers to provide funding for production of the new Trek shows.

Based on the incomplete picture we have of their situation, this feels like a very strange move for ViacomCBS to make.  If Amazon Prime and Netflix are withdrawing their support of the Star Trek shows they were previously sponsoring, it would certainly explain the stock price-cratering decision to try to raise $3 Billion for streaming development by selling shares back in Q1 2021.  They've also seen a steady decline in pre-tax profits over the last few years and the company's debt is over $21 Billion.  For them to suddenly decide they're gonna go all-in on the global launch of the proprietary streaming service that's been operating in the red since its creation has a sort of do-or-die "Hail Mary" vibe to it.  Either that or there was something major missing from the Q3 Earnings Call earlier this month that's making them much more confident than they would ordinarily be.

(It's enough to make you wonder if we'll be seeing Star Trek next to Simon & Schuster and CBS's old headquarters building on the auction block in the near future.  I gather they were really hoping to make bank selling Simon & Schuster to the parent company of Penguin Random House, but the UDOJ stepped in and stopped it with an antitrust filing earlier this month.)

As I was reading your reply, I was imagining CBS?Viacom trying to continue Discovery via a hand-puppet show with them using a cardboard box as a stage and a flimsy paper Discovery ship. :p

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

As I was reading your reply, I was imagining CBS?Viacom trying to continue Discovery via a hand-puppet show with them using a cardboard box as a stage and a flimsy paper Discovery ship. :p

... hey now, get the guys who did Potter Puppet Pals and/or If The Emperor Had a Text-to-Speech Device on it and that could actually be pretty good.

• 3 months later...

Just finished the final episode for this season. 

yes there are plot holes but I’m just going to focus on what I liked.  

A super race that isn’t Q and isn’t humanoid.

Burnham didn’t pull the answers out of her ass.  

Everybody chipped in to solve the problem.  

(mod mode) Interesting cameo.  Let’s leave it at that .  

It actually has a happy/hopeful ending unlike the first three seasons.  

On 3/21/2022 at 1:54 PM, pengbuzz said:

I thought the audience was crying lol

Only if they were weeping for the fate of Star Trek as a whole... because the crew of the Discovery are still unlikable berks.

Detmer seems fine. In fact, when they were doing their 'hero walk' before going down to the 10C's home planet, I was suddenly wishing Demter was in charge.

On the whole though, I thought it was alright. Much better than the anti-climax that was Season 3. Did I still fast forward through too many therapy sessions and crying jags? Yes. But it was, you know, better...

Spoiler

What I do wish, is that Book had remained dead, that the Earth General had died stopping them, and that Tarka had died, cause they left that ambiguous. A lot of emotional weight in the last episode was just suddenly lifted as though it had never existed. So, even if I ever was to watch this again, I would be like, 'it's okay, he''ll live.'

About Book, the reason the 10C snagged his transport beam it too convenient, esp as they did not do that for Jethro. No, wait, Jett Reno! Why was his timing so much more important than hers. that she was allowed to go right back to Disco without being diverted..? Oh yes, for more Michael tears! See, if they had left him dead, then I could see a reason for her to cry.

Also, it seems weird that such an advanced race were somehow being out-raced within their own sphere by the backward aliens from the Federation. I mean, if you could snag a transport beam from wherever they were, they could certainly move some ships around with a snap of their fingers. But, oh well... 

Not too bad,

9 minutes ago, Thom said:

Detmer seems fine. In fact, when they were doing their 'hero walk' before going down to the 10C's home planet, I was suddenly wishing Demter was in charge.

On the whole though, I thought it was alright. Much better than the anti-climax that was Season 3. Did I still fast forward through too many therapy sessions and crying jags? Yes. But it was, you know, better...

Hide contents

What I do wish, is that Book had remained dead, that the Earth General had died stopping them, and that Tarka had died, cause they left that ambiguous. A lot of emotional weight in the last episode was just suddenly lifted as though it had never existed. So, even if I ever was to watch this again, I would be like, 'it's okay, he''ll live.'

About Book, the reason the 10C snagged his transport beam it too convenient, esp as they did not do that for Jethro. No, wait, Jett Reno! Why was his timing so much more important than hers. that she was allowed to go right back to Disco without being diverted..? Oh yes, for more Michael tears! See, if they had left him dead, then I could see a reason for her to cry.

Also, it seems weird that such an advanced race were somehow being out-raced within their own sphere by the backward aliens from the Federation. I mean, if you could snag a transport beam from wherever they were, they could certainly move some ships around with a snap of their fingers. But, oh well... 

Not too bad,

In that case, I have a proposal for a Short Trek mini-episode:

It starts with Tilly crying, then we pan to other crew members crying: Jett, Detmer, Michael, then finally the entire bridge crew. And as we pan out, we see why they're crying:

They are all standing at the counter in the ship's galley, slicing onions on cutting boards. Behind them is a banner: "First Annual Discovery Chili Cook-off".

:D

4 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

It starts with Tilly crying, then we pan to other crew members crying: Jett, Detmer, Michael, then finally the entire bridge crew. And as we pan out, we see why they're crying:

They are all standing at the counter in the ship's galley, slicing onions on cutting boards. Behind them is a banner: "First Annual Discovery Chili Cook-off".

You know, that would mean tremendous kudos to them if they did that!

23 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I wish Discovery's writers and showrunners had enough self-awareness to try something like that.

Then again, if they had enough self-awareness to parody their terrible decisions they'd never have made them in the first place.  Maybe Lower Decks will give that one a go.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I wish Discovery's writers and showrunners had enough self-awareness to try something like that.

Then again, if they had enough self-awareness to parody their terrible decisions they'd never have made them in the first place.  Maybe Lower Decks will give that one a go.

I'd pay to see that!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to End With Season 5  After resurrecting Trek on TV and launching a new generation of sci-fi content, 'Discovery' will have its final voyage next year. (Hollywood Reporter)

Sources say principal filming of the season is mostly complete. But with this move to end the show, there will be additional filming to help craft a conclusion for the series. The fifth and final season will premiere in early 2024.

Oh thank god. And may Kurtzman never be showrunner of any Star Trek again. 

Also this nugget:

The decision follows Paramount Global CFO Naveen Chopra telling an investor conference on Feb. 28 that the company might spend less on streaming content in 2024 than previously forecast due to the integration of Paramount+ and Showtime.

'Was wondering about that with more downtime between shows of late. There seems to be less talk of new content from Disney+, Amazon+, HBO Max (more stuff seems to be TV 1st, then streaming), Netflix (they're just "cancelled" happy) and more imports entering the feeds (maybe it's just me). It does make me wonder about other "long-running" streaming shows that may face the axe within the next couple of years. Yeah, I'm lookin' at your Stranger Things.

Best news I've had in ages.

The main thing keeping the series going was the sunk cost fallacy, thanks to overspending on the show's development. Rather than canceling it and taking a loss after it flopped and the sponsor bailed, they just kept spending in the hopes that it would take off if they just gave it enough time. I guess all the red ink finally caught up with them. Either that or the legal department announced that they're not allowed to sell any more stock to fund the production due to the risk of violating their merger agreement.

Here's hoping that everyone who worked on this mess finds their career marched into an early, shallow, unmarked, and entirely unmourned grave.

Between the news of Discovery's premature cancellation with just five of seven seasons produced and Picard ending after just three of its proposed five seasons were produced, it seems that we may soon be seeing an end to the tyranny of this odious vision of abject misery. The future of Star Trek is looking a little brighter today.

Someone on BT's forums said the same announcement but he added a very snide way to say it

So I told him, No we did NOT want it Cancel Cultured. We wanted something other than what we got.

Then i send him a relatively civil PM (only told him to STFU about Cancel Culture, my Gen status and opinion on CC) then reported the post, with clear meaning that i wanted to tell that a-hole to go..... mate with a moose.

So here's my question. Is hearing about the end of the series (and showing some degree of happiness/relief) the same thing as the term 'Cancel Culture'?

Or am i being a very cranky Gonad?

I think.. this is the direct opposite of anything cancel culture related.

For me, "Cancel Culture" in a very general sense is people decrying some thing, and demanding it be deleted from existence due to taking some form of offense at what it is, or against someone attached to it.  It's very much the equivalent of a child throwing a tantrum to get their way, threatening their parents' public image if they don't give in to their demands, and sacrifice what they know is better for the child in the name of getting some peace and quiet.

In this case?  This isn't a cultured cancel, this is just straight-up cancelled, in the vein of a Vaudeville performer being yanked off stage by a shepherd's crook, or dropped down the garbage chute like Veruca Salt.  And good riddance.  It's a long-overdue culling of garbage that should never have been allowed to continue this long.  

Edited by Chronocidal

MOD WARNING
Politics. Bring that crap up again and you are gone.

Back to the subject. This is business. Sci-fi shows are inherently expensive thanks to VFX.  Hence my quoted text. If Paramount+ is scaling back streaming shows, I won't be shocked of other platforms are cutting back. With the economy trending downward and declining viewership (read: subscriptions, Netflix killing account sharing), I fully expect shows like The Witcher to meet an earlier-than-expected cancellation, even with the Hemsworth-brother to step into the lead role. I'm still wondering how long The Mandalorian will last after the proposed season 4. It's also likely most of the crew had 3-5 season-ish contracts and the studio opted to not renew any (effectively cancelling the show).

There is also a looming Writers' Guild strike this year (the current contract expires on May 1, 2023).

Edit...Oh my, all the major union contracts are up this year. SAG-June 30, DGA already in negotiations...might explain why some shows are not coming until the back half of 2023 and some might not be filming until 2024.

For Disney+, I saw an article somewhere that said they were going to cut way back on the Marvel content and try to ramp up the Star Wars movie (not D+ movie) content.  Return on investment, yada yada.  Never saw another mention of it though.  The gist of it was new D+ content was going to curtailed no matter what franchise as they focus more on profitability instead of subscriber count (though IMHO cutting the new show count is not going to help with either metric).

Stranger Things had a limited shelf life to begin with.  They may have expected one more season then they are actually going to make but that is due to Covid messing up everything except the kids getting older.

As for Discovery - more Strange New Worlds can't be a bad thing, not yet anyway.

About time that grotesque insult to Gene Rodenberry's legacy, long-time fans, and everything Trek produced prior to this atrocity to intelligence and good taste, is finally being put out to pasture to languish unwatched and forgotten forevermore, same goes for ST-PukeHard.  Too bad both these abominations can't be fully excised from existence... ignominy and indifference will have to suffice; unfortunately, the brand and live-franchise damage will long outlast them -- interesting that as currently overseen, same with Star Wars, for the most part, the only productions with even a modicum of competence, narrative quality and legacy integrity are the toons.

Thankfully, Stranger Things was only planned for one more season. Chopping it now while it is still popular and almost done would be... oh yeah, sorry forgot who I was talking about!😁

As for STD (:rolleyes:) I watched the second season and liked that one, but the third was full of just too much bad story writing and plotting. C'mon, the Burn was caused by one anguished kid?! A b-grade scifi writer could make a better excuse than that! (like me.)

At least it gave us Strange New Worlds, so I will thank them for that at least.

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

At least it gave us Strange New Worlds, so I will thank them for that at least.

LOL!!! 1000%  Couldn't agree more!

18 hours ago, azrael said:

Oh thank god. And may Kurtzman never be showrunner of any Star Trek again.

Alex Kurtzman has been such an abject disaster to anything Star Trek that if they had just made him a villain in any of the series, that would have been a credible threat that the Federation would need to mobilize against.

But in all seriousness: Kurtzman has no idea what makes Trek work, how to run a show, or even what good sci-fi really is. I'm not sure if he's a fanboy hack who was too eager to plaster his version of Star Trek all over the place or a bitter Hollywood burnout who hates the franchise and is deliberately trying to sink it. As it stands, just about everything this guy has been involved in just plain stank ( Seriously..."Cowboys and Aliens"?), and when it comes to Trek, he has the Reverse Midas Touch.™

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Best news I've had in ages.

The main thing keeping the series going was the sunk cost fallacy, thanks to overspending on the show's development. Rather than canceling it and taking a loss after it flopped and the sponsor bailed, they just kept spending in the hopes that it would take off if they just gave it enough time. I guess all the red ink finally caught up with them. Either that or the legal department announced that they're not allowed to sell any more stock to fund the production due to the risk of violating their merger agreement.

Here's hoping that everyone who worked on this mess finds their career marched into an early, shallow, unmarked, and entirely unmourned grave.

Between the news of Discovery's premature cancellation with just five of seven seasons produced and Picard ending after just three of its proposed five seasons were produced, it seems that we may soon be seeing an end to the tyranny of this odious vision of abject misery. The future of Star Trek is looking a little brighter today.

Same here. That said, it's like any other venture: sooner or later, the red ink will strangle you if you don't get into the black quickly enough to make it worthwhile.  And with the financial uncertainty that's going on at this point, things like this debacle are a luxury that I suspect few investors are going to want to take a chance on it (Netflix, anyone?).

Overall, I think people are getting tired of the Grimdark© version of sci-fi, given that the entire planet's coming just now out of 2+ years of real-life darkness and gloom. Especially when those stories are supposed to be about mankind rising to meet the challenge and seeking a better tomorrow.

Someone may be broken, but moping about it while staring at the pieces of their lives on the floor isn't an inspiring message. Yes, I'm looking at you, Picard.

12 hours ago, TehPW said:

Or am i being a very cranky Gonad?

Are we sure those two things are mutually exclusive? :rofl:  (Just joking!)

Jokes about our mutual cantankerousness aside, there's absolutely nothing political about the cancellation of Star Trek: Discovery.  It's purely a matter of dollars and cents.  The show's cost-performance has been abysmal for its entire run.  Production ran over budget so frequently that several producers were fired for it.  Its viewership numbers on streaming services were never better than mediocre, with Discovery being handily outperformed by multiple shows even on Paramount+ and Netflix being so disgusted with it that they not only tried to quit the project they passed on Star Trek: Picard.  Merchandising revenue was practically nonexistent with many Trek licensees passing on the series altogether or settling for reduced stakes because they knew its aesthetics would not be popular due to its resemblance to the Kelvin timeline.

The series was a money pit, and one that got deeper every season thanks to overspending on production and underperforming revenue streams.

11 hours ago, azrael said:

Back to the subject. This is business. Sci-fi shows are inherently expensive thanks to VFX.  Hence my quoted text. If Paramount+ is scaling back streaming shows, I won't be shocked of other platforms are cutting back. With the economy trending downward and declining viewership (read: subscriptions, Netflix killing account sharing), I fully expect shows like The Witcher to meet an earlier-than-expected cancellation, even with the Hemsworth-brother to step into the lead role. I'm still wondering how long The Mandalorian will last after the proposed season 4. It's also likely most of the crew had 3-5 season-ish contracts and the studio opted to not renew any (effectively cancelling the show).

There is also a looming Writers' Guild strike this year (the current contract expires on May 1, 2023).

Edit...Oh my, all the major union contracts are up this year. SAG-June 30, DGA already in negotiations...might explain why some shows are not coming until the back half of 2023 and some might not be filming until 2024.

On the whole, I think this is part of a larger trend of the industry being in the "find out" part of "**** about and find out".  We're seeing a bubble burst.

The networks got jealous of Netflix's success and decided to launch their own streaming services instead, only to discover that doing so is far more expensive than most of them thought.  Paramount+ has been running over a billion dollars in the red since it launched with even Paramount's own quarterly financials predicting losses to continue to mount until at least 2024.  It's doubtful that any other network-run service was doing much better.  Now we're at the part of the story where the cost-cutters move in and start slashing anything with a poor return-on-investment, and that means a lot of these massively expensive direct-to-streaming titles are first on the chopping block.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Jokes about our mutual cantankerousness aside, there's absolutely nothing political about the cancellation of Star Trek: Discovery.  It's purely a matter of dollars and cents.  The show's cost-performance has been abysmal for its entire run.  Production ran over budget so frequently that several producers were fired for it.  Its viewership numbers on streaming services were never better than mediocre, with Discovery being handily outperformed by multiple shows even on Paramount+ and Netflix being so disgusted with it that they not only tried to quit the project they passed on Star Trek: Picard.  Merchandising revenue was practically nonexistent with many Trek licensees passing on the series altogether or settling for reduced stakes because they knew its aesthetics would not be popular due to its resemblance to the Kelvin timeline.

The series was a money pit, and one that got deeper every season thanks to overspending on production and underperforming revenue streams.

"Money pit"? I think the term Financial Quantum Singularity would better apply here; at least a pit has a bottom you can actually see!!

On that note: I recently saw ST:D figures of Burnham and Saru just sitting on the pegs in the clearance section of my local Walmart, and they had just come out not too long ago!

Kirk and Spock keep disappearing out of the main aisle though... need to go search for them.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

On the whole, I think this is part of a larger trend of the industry being in the "find out" part of "**** about and find out".  We're seeing a bubble burst.

The networks got jealous of Netflix's success and decided to launch their own streaming services instead, only to discover that doing so is far more expensive than most of them thought.  Paramount+ has been running over a billion dollars in the red since it launched with even Paramount's own quarterly financials predicting losses to continue to mount until at least 2024.  It's doubtful that any other network-run service was doing much better.  Now we're at the part of the story where the cost-cutters move in and start slashing anything with a poor return-on-investment, and that means a lot of these massively expensive direct-to-streaming titles are first on the chopping block.

I prefer Worf's version: "You may test that assumption at your convenience". :D

But seriously: agree in whole with you on this. They've been hemorrhaging money, and with things the way they are, they're finally having to "amputate the limbs that are no longer viable". Kurtzman's an expensive liability to begin with, and this is now painfully apparent in their bottom line.

On another note: as Azrael said, the Witcher and Mandalorian may not be long for this world. I also posit The Book of Boba Fett is going to be more of a short story rather than a book.

Having said that... I posit the following:

Spoiler

Imagine Kurtzman on the bridge of the Titan and Riker's comment would fit very nicely:

"Remove yourself from the Bridge; you've just killed us all.

Edited by pengbuzz

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Kirk and Spock keep disappearing out of the main aisle though... need to go search for them.

So what you're saying is you need the search for Spock?

9 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Too bad both these abominations can't be fully excised from existence... ignominy and indifference will have to suffice; unfortunately, the brand and live-franchise damage will long outlast them

Nah. If the next person in charge declares them non-canon for convenience, people take such declarations weirdly seriously for a franchise that historically has trouble keeping things consistent from week to week.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

But in all seriousness: Kurtzman has no idea what makes Trek work, how to run a show, or even what good sci-fi really is. I'm not sure if he's a fanboy hack who was too eager to plaster his version of Star Trek all over the place or a bitter Hollywood burnout who hates the franchise and is deliberately trying to sink it. As it stands, just about everything this guy has been involved in just plain stank ( Seriously..."Cowboys and Aliens"?), and when it comes to Trek, he has the Reverse Midas Touch.™

Y'know, I never looked up Kurtzman's full filmography before now.  It's unsurprising to see that it's a stream of unremarkable pap punctuated by the occasional stinker.  Imagine my surprise to see his portfolio as a producer and writer extends to titles like Hercules: the Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess.  It seems it was all downhill from there.

Unfortunately, Hollywood's as much about who you know as what you know and idiots like Kurtzman often manage to fail upward the way J.J. Abrams did.

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Overall, I think people are getting tired of the Grimdark© version of sci-fi, given that the entire planet's coming just now out of 2+ years of real-life darkness and gloom. Especially when those stories are supposed to be about mankind rising to meet the challenge and seeking a better tomorrow.

I'm not sure people in general are necessarily getting tired of grimdark sci-fi.  After all, there's talk of a Warhammer 40,000 TV series in the offing and there've been a number of quite highly regarded bits of dark or dark-ish SF recently like Halo.  There are whole franchises that make that their bread and butter.  

Star Trek just isn't one of them.

That's the "why" of NuTrek's negative cashflow problem.  Audiences clicked their way over to Star Trek: Discovery's series pilot expecting some optimistic high-concept sci-fi only to be given a big budget production of a pointlessly (and often literally) dark and edgy Star Trek fanfic seemingly penned by Buckets of Blood Guy.  If you want your audience to like and/or relate to your protagonist, it's a good idea to actually make them likeable so the audience will become invested in their story and their struggle.  Michael Burnham was a dangerously irresponsible, manipulative, paranoid, racist shitheel whose main hobby seemed to be gaslighting her crewmates.  That's not going to win anyone over.  It's like she once read a book about the traits of toxic coworkers and decided to collect the complete set.  The last time Star Trek had a character like her, that character was unambiguously the villain.  The writers only managed to give her the briefest moment of self-awareness, when she goes to the Mirror Universe of genocidal bigots and worries she's fitting in too well.*  Nothing about that is likeable or relatable.  The audience is supposed to feel bad for her, but the few folks who didn't drop it in disgust were sitting there going "Well *****, if it isn't the consequences of your actions." and then getting annoyed when she pulls a Karma Houdini once a season.  None so insulting, perhaps, as when Burnham was made captain of the Discovery just a few episodes after being told she was utterly unsuited for command by the same admiral who promoted her.

People turn on Star Trek to see a vision of a brighter and more hopeful future.  You don't turn on Star Trek to see horribleness... and that's what Discovery offered.  Horribleness.  A genocidal war with an even more bestial take on the Klingons.  A genocidal AI bent on wiping out all life.  The collapse of modern civilization into a nightmare of isolation, slavery, death, and green Karens.  Then casual genocide because fancy dress genocide had apparently lost its charm.  None of that it the upbeat, charming, optimistic spacefuture that the audience tunes in to Star Trek for... and it cost them the audience.  The very faithful audience with a very long history of spending big on merchandise.  

* FFS, the only three people who actually LIKE Michael Burnham in the whole of the first three seasons are an undercover genocidal Klingon zealot, a genocidal despot who rules known space because she's massacred every alien race in range, and the guy that genocidal despot considers too dangerously unhinged to hold a position of power.  If these are the people in your corner, that's a strong argument that you're a villain if not THE villain.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

.. Imagine my surprise to see his portfolio as a producer and writer extends to titles like ...  Xena: Warrior Princess.  It seems it was all downhill from there.

I had to check and, thankfully, he did not write some of my fav Xena episodes! (phew!)

Checking further, it looks like he only wrote one episode for Xena.

One of my biggest problems with a lot of the Kurtzman Trek was the utter lack of professionalism displayed by quasi-military officers who are supposedly the best and brightest. The snide remarks and quips etc. An utter lack of discipline. 
As a 47 yr old FAA Air Traffic Controller who was also in the Navy, this hits a little too close to home for me with what I see more and more of in the work place. The lack of willingness to put in one’s time to move up, learn, and grow. Just total entitlement. I PERSONALLY think that is one reason why so many of these characters don’t resonate with a good portion of the audience. Not because of (insert personal affiliation) but more  because of attitude. We all see it so much IRL. Then again maybe that’s why it does have a fan base as well and I’m, as Chris Evans said, just a dinosaur. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

Edited by Dobber

49 minutes ago, Dobber said:

One of my biggest problems with a lot of the Kurtzman Trek was the utter lack of professionalism displayed by quasi-military officers who are supposedly the best and brightest. The snide remarks and quips etc. An utter lack of discipline. 
As a 47 yr old FAA Air Traffic Controller who was also in the Navy, this hits a little too close to home for me with what I see more and more of in the work place. The lack of willingness to put in one’s time to move up, learn, and grow. Just total entitlement. I PERSONALLY think that is one reason why so many of these characters don’t resonate with a good portion of the audience. Not because of (insert personal affiliation) but more  because of attitude. We all see it so much IRL. Then again maybe that’s why it does have a fan base as well and I’m, as Chris Evans said, just a dinosaur. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

There is a definite growing trend in the age of social media/current year: more and more people are mostly, or completely, disinterested in appreciating masterful paintings that awe and inspire -- heck, a lot actively deride such works as "problematic" -- and instead gravitate towards staring at a mirror and calling it high art...