Bandai 1/35 DX VF-1

eriku

Do we know if this 1/35 VF-1J is actually going to be transformable, or just be an ultra-detailed/gimmicked battroid?

We don't yet know anything beyond that paragraph from ANN. I'm assuming it will be because they made a reference to the largest transformable VF-1 being the 1/48.

Where does it say it is a VF-1J? Was there a pic posted somewhere?

It says VF-1J right in the article that was linked to and posted a few posts up. No photographs were allowed so no pics yet.

As per the ANN article, Bandai teased a mammoth 1/35 scale DX Chogokin VF-1J that stands 14 inches (35cm) high in Battroid mode with working lights.

What are you guys hoping for with this? I'm hoping it features articulated pilot figures. 1/35 is about the scale of Transformers Masterpiece toys like MP10 Optimus, so theoretically the pilot figures would be around the same size as the MP Spike & Daniel figures.

Here's the link to the article:

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-10-29/bandai-teases-giant-26-inch-sdf-1-macross-14-inch-vf-1-valkyrie-toys/.94775

Is it going to be transformable?

I hope it transforms, battroid only would be lame... unless it accompanied a 1/60 transformable announcement.

If it's not going to transform I'd want it to be even bigger, like Jumbo machinder size.

I hope they only make a 1/35 VF-1 and yes would have to be transformable or it'd be completely lame as Jenius said.. Just don't think im interested in another 1/60 VF-1 line.. I have enough of those already!

We need something different and a giant scale version would be quite interesting! Even if they only released a half dozen of so different paint schemes of the more popular characters then I'd be content.

If it's not going to transform I'd want it to be even bigger, like Jumbo machinder size.

Pretty sure it will be transformable...but if not, it would have to be something like this SOC Mazinger....no less....

13106.jpg

m_16-99148.jpg?c=a32

but...let's just forget that....WE WILL FINALLY GET ANIME ACCURATE PERFECT TRANSFORMATION! :)

Plus alot of the detail above and below.....

50884d1181026326-referencias-valkyria-ro

5af24f1f733e54feaf547dcb08854165.gif

Heck...may as well start dreaming of 1/35 ultra detailed fast packs too! :p

Pretty sure it will be transformable...but if not, it would have to be something like this SOC Mazinger....no less....

13106.jpg

m_16-99148.jpg?c=a32

but...let's just forget that....WE WILL FINALLY GET ANIME ACCURATE PERFECT TRANSFORMATION! :)

Plus alot of the detail above and below.....

50884d1181026326-referencias-valkyria-ro

5af24f1f733e54feaf547dcb08854165.gif

Heck...may as well start dreaming of 1/35 ultra detailed fast packs too! :p

I was thinking of something like that. Why no both? Do it Bandai

in that size being nearly double what what we already have, transformable, with lighting and who knows what other gimmicks they thrown in then this thing is gonna be expensive. But wouldn't it be funny if all it turns out to be is basically a super sized version of their sh!tty 1:72 VF-1 model kit line (but fully assembled of course) and those things are total sh!t. Pardon my French.

The whole idea of a fully transforming Valkyrie of this size is certainly very appealing and the fact its size would allow for a closer to accurate transformation but im still not so sure about it. Having a good think about it in a way im probably more interested in keeping my collection scale consistent and avoid anything which isn't 1:60. I doubt they will release many different variants or colors anyways so massive numbers aren't going to be an issue.

My other fear is that the size will grow but the level of detail will remain the same ratio as it would be as a 1:60 scale toy and then look and feel like those crappy large scale model planes you can buy.

Imagine doubling the size of a Yamato v2 VF-1 but adding in no extra detail to fill in the larger spaces.. yeah its gonna look like crap. I guess its all in the hands of the Bandai gods and we'll simply have to hope for the best. :rolleyes:

My other fear is that the size will grow but the level of detail will remain the same ratio as it would be as a 1:60 scale toy and then look and feel like those crappy large scale model planes you can buy.

Imagine doubling the size of a Yamato v2 VF-1 but adding in no extra detail to fill in the larger spaces.. yeah its gonna look like crap. I guess its all in the hands of the Bandai gods and we'll simply have to hope for the best. :rolleyes:

No way! This is the prophesized DX VF-1 that is supposed to bring balance to the force! Enough of your sith trickery! :p

I'm wondering if this something that's a lot better in theory than in reality. If it's transformable and articulated, that means all of the joints and hinges are going to be more stressed due to more weight needing to be supported. Everything better be ratcheted joints, otherwise you'll see lots of floppy limbs and problems holding poses. They'll need to use more metal too. But besides that, I just see problems with handling. At that scale, it's almost twice the size of a Yamarcadia VF-1. That's going to be unwieldy.

problem with the use of more stronger materials such as metals will be pushing up the price. Being physically larger overall so will the joints be and they'll me more stress resistant. Ratcheting joints will be a must in some parts and its larger size will allow for those joints to have more ratcheting points therefore good pose-ability. And as you said the sheer size of it will make it somewhat unwieldy but in a weird kinda way that would also make it cool!

but as SuperSenpai said..

I'm wondering if this something that's a lot better in theory than in reality. If it's transformable and articulated, that means all of the joints and hinges are going to be more stressed due to more weight needing to be supported. Everything better be ratcheted joints, otherwise you'll see lots of floppy limbs and problems holding poses. They'll need to use more metal too. But besides that, I just see problems with handling. At that scale, it's almost twice the size of a Yamarcadia VF-1. That's going to be unwieldy.

This is a pretty valid concern. Now, 1/35 isn't too huge for this to be a big problem I think, because this will really only wind up as big as one of the larger Gundam toys. The transformation will probably be the hardest part, but it should be easily doable with enough ratchets. I made a working VF-1 in Lego at about 1/30th, and that was just on the bleeding edge of being too heavy to be stable, but by nature, Lego bricks are bulky, and heavier than a manufactured plastic toy.

The part that concerns me? It's Bandai, making a large scale aircraft. It's taken them years to even get to where they can make passable looking landing gear for valks. People who like the VF-1 for the aircraft mode are probably going to be expecting detail at least on par with the 1/48 Hasegawa kits, and I don't think Bandai even has a clue how to accomplish that yet.

People are going to be expecting all the trimmings that go with a high quality aircraft, like boarding ladders, cockpit instruments, correctly retracting landing gear even. I'm not sure Bandai can even wrap their head around such things yet, when they can't even be bothered to color the instrument panels of a 1/60 valk, or even paint the landing gear something other than bare metal.

Edited by Chronocidal

Saw it in person today. Its huge, however, it was clearly a very early resin test sample: solid parts, no joints, etc. However, there were lights in the visor, shoulder light things, bay doors on the legs....and maybe the gunpod. No other info or pics were ar the event, other than it being listed as DX Chogokin. The scuplt did look very promising though!

Saw it in person today. Its huge, however, it was clearly a very early resin test sample: solid parts, no joints, etc. However, there were lights in the visor, shoulder light things, bay doors on the legs....and maybe the gunpod. No other info or pics were ar the event, other than it being listed as DX Chogokin. The scuplt did look very promising though!

didn't manage to sneak in any photos by any chance? This is where the Vulcan mind meld trick would come in handy... :rolleyes:

Dream big! :)

Fall hard! :lol:

Any hint if FAST packs were already thought of? (Like mounting holes visible etc).

Maybe in that big of a scale, the backpack joint will actually be made beefy enough to fully support the packs on its own? The 1/48 got close, but after the reports of the backpack hinge breaking, I never trusted it fully (though I know it wasn't the actual cause of the breakage).