BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

I too have a soft spot for the 19 as well. I appreciate and love the simplistic VF-1 because it is the grand daddy that started it all, but the YF-19, I feel, is also a grand daddy in it's own right for its front nosecone chest design transformation which seems to have influenced the more recent Macross Valk designs in Frontier and Delta.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

The 31 is far superior to the 19.

For me is the YF 19  the one that I like much more, batroid mode is stunning , is incredible how it can display a strong looking robot without giving you the idea it can transform into an awesome jet as well, and vice-versa, meanwhile the 31's in batroid mode gives you a huge backpack sight thanks to its wings, while in fighter mode the 31's awesome looking doesn't give you any idea it can transform to a robot too.   I think 31's  fighter  mode is the true evolved form of the 19's is just too damn good looking, some could think think is the YF 29's but I'm judging the models in how it looks instead of the progression of the model.  Now where is that DX YF 21 Bandai ? :D   

Edited by Alex GS

Other than the laser, mine is wonderful. I'll probably take a screwdriver to the hips, they are awfully tight and scary to move.

I'm definitely a fan. Aesthetically, I'd go in favor of the Arcadia. In terms of handling/posing, definitely the Bandai.

I put in a ticket with HLJ and a pic of the damage, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

I'm gonna need a second Detolf.

Edited by iguanaman8989

1 hour ago, treatment said:

It rather depends.

Build-wise: the VF-31 class is very solid and have less issues out of the box (broken antennae) than the YF-19.

Accessories-wise: the YF-19 has the FPs and quite a lot of ordnance already included.  The VF-31, the FP and reaction-missiles accessories are a scalper-friendly expensive extra.

Aesthetics/Designs: 

fighter-mode: The VF-31 is very slick, pretty and quite anime-accurate in fighter-mode.  The YF-19 in fighter-mode is just at least line-art compliant, but not quite anime-accurate.

gerwalk-mode:  I'll give this mode to the VF-31 as the YF-19 is always ugly in this mode due to Kawamori's design.

battroid-mode:  Definitely YF-19.  Way both pretty and menacing and no unsightly overhanging kibble. Much more intimidating "macho" presence on the shelf and elsewhere.  In contrast, the VF-31 looks exactly like damn damselfly robot. Quite an insectoid. Thin biceps and unsightly overhanging wings back-kibble.

Emotional/Nostalgic factor:  You'll prolly like appreciate the VF-31 alot more if you'd seen Macross Delta anime. 

The YF-19 is one of  the legendary and iconic valkyrie of the Macross franchise, and most of us had watched and thoroughly enjoyed the anime it came from.

Gerwalk always ugly? How dare you sir!:p

40DFEFA8-F6B2-4119-8574-AC4E0AC50081.gif.4baec2ade07a2d68f5f34ff73a02c9dd.gif

All valks are like art to me, beautiful in their own way. 

Side note; I thk comparing the 19 and 31 is like comparing a Lamborghini countach and a huracan..I can see where the discussion lies but can’t see where it leads to :D

Since this is the YF-19 thread, it wins in all things by default. :p

But honestly, from a Bandai DX perspective the 31's have the edge simply because they were designed and built off of CGI models, so most of Bandai's work was already done. Whereas the 19 had to be designed from old line-art and/or animation.

Aesthetically speaking, the 19 looks better to me in Battroid, but I give a slight edge to the 31's in Fighter, especially the 31A.

IF, I had to choose just one to buy and have in my collection I'm going with the DX YF-19 based off of all the accessories that are included, and pure nostalgia and love of Macross Plus.

-b. 

30 minutes ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

@F360: I was about to say... "Hey you're missing a generation", but then iirc the first Yamato YF-19 was a 1/72 scale

That's actually when it all started.   But I have sold near all my 1/72 for the better 1/60 scale.

I still have my old Yamato vf-19a 1/72 since they haven't made one in 1/60 yet.  I bought that from someone on craigslist late at night in the back of a Safeway Super Market out next to the Pacific ocean (sunset).:lol: (back then craigslist was safe, (ipad from 7-eleven , laptop from oakland gas station, use car at Bart station , etc.)

If they ever make a VF-19A at 1/60 scale, it will be an instant buy.:wub:

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

The 31 is far superior to the 19.

Agreed. The 31 series is Bandai's best engineered line of valks.

4 hours ago, Guyffon said:

Hmmmmm, I feel that the YF-30 n YF-19 can both share 2nd place though

Agreed there too, but they win that title by default. Everything Bandai did prior to that was vastly inferior, even the Frontier renewals, as much of an improvement over the incredibly awful first wave Frontier toys they were. When you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up. :lol:

I'd love to see Bandai revisit the 25 series and give us something on par with the 31. Or Arcadia. I really don't care who does it, I want a new and improved VF-25!

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

He’s asking about the engineering of the toy, not which is our favorite.  The 31 has better engineering.  Period.

Shrugs. Opinions and all of that.

Personally I'd give Bandai MORE props for the 19 since again it had to be "engineered" from line-art and animation vs. CGI models that were more than likely designed with these exact toys in mind.

-b.

Welp i was a little worried when i opened my package from hlj, and they mailed my 19 upside down, i pretty much expected the antenna was snapped.  Luckily though, it’s still in one piece.  But between this negligence and their crappy  website redesign, Im losing a lot faith in them

11 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Shrugs. Opinions and all of that.

Personally I'd give Bandai MORE props for the 19 since again it had to be "engineered" from line-art and animation vs. CGI models that were more than likely designed with these exact toys in mind.

-b.

It was engineered from the cg in frontier and they already had multiple iterations of toys from previous from competitors to work from as well.  The 30 to 31 is more impressive given Bandai had to figure it out by themselves.

I'm not that sure Bandai's efforts are as impressive as it seems.

Engineering-wise (as in toy-engineering), the YF-19 and the VF-31 are about at the same level.  Being both DX-Chogokins class, anyway. 

That said, I think their VF-31 has got too many panels and stuff to open, close, rotate, and put in place. 

Their YF-19 doesn't seem to have as much.

Opened mine from CDJ and inspected it, Antenna intact.

First impression on fighter mode only is that I like the Arcadia a lot more. The Arcadia just feels more solid, with a more premium surface finishing, and a superior feel overall. The Bandai feels like a toy, with lots of tampo printing, and perhaps due to mistransformation out of the box, connections feel loose. Not a close debate in my mind. 

22 minutes ago, treatment said:

I'm not that sure Bandai's efforts are as impressive as it seems.

Engineering-wise (as in toy-engineering), the YF-19 and the VF-31 are about at the same level.  Being both DX-Chogokins class, anyway. 

That said, I think their VF-31 has got too many panels and stuff to open, close, rotate, and put in place. 

Their YF-19 doesn't seem to have as much.

The way Bandai engineered the toy to have a mechanism in place to fill out the inner shin is pretty impressive to me. It may be a minor detail but it really surprised me while transforming the toy. 

I think if Engineering goes probably the YF 19 is the winner here, somehow since the the Yamato 1/72 version they started to optimize the looks and transformation,  then it comes 1/60 Yamato YF 19 when it started to get almost exact anime accurate,  then Arcadia , then Bandai

image.png.d84bf10012aebcbafa41f0ffdc030d84.png 

As you can see the image above the Batroid mode then Fighter mode are two separate worlds, from design wise  is incredible how that robot can transform into that jet without scarifying its looks in their respective mode, in other words there is no almost no kibble in it, imo this can't be said for the VF 31 cause of its huge backpack of wings in the back of batroid mode,  the VF 31 in fighter mode is indeed awesome but I'm not sure if the designers wanted to save a little in the developing area  so they leave all outside the huge backpack of wings in robot mode.

Don't get me wrong effing love both Valkyries but theres is no question for me the YF 19 is the best of all so far. :D  There is another Valkyrie that is pure insane engineering that manages to remain smaller in fighter mode but a lot taller in batroid mode and almost kibble free, really awesome indeed too. 

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

It was engineered from the cg in frontier and they already had multiple iterations of toys from previous from competitors to work from as well.  The 30 to 31 is more impressive given Bandai had to figure it out by themselves.

If they used the one from frontier it was only shown in fighter mode for the movie... I highly doubt they went above and beyond to model/render a gerwalk and battroid mode for the movie production when it wasn't even used at all.

20 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Due to differences in design and transformation styles, comparing the 31 and 19 engineering seems flawed..

Arcadia v Bandai 19 engineering comparisons would be better?

Perhaps. But Bandai clearly has the more advanced engineering VS the Arcadia when it comes to the YF-19. To say otherwise would be foolish.

Edited by ArchieNov

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Due to differences in design and transformation styles, comparing the 31 and 19 engineering seems flawed..

Arcadia v Bandai 19 engineering comparisons would be better?

The ankles on the DX seems to be better than the ones on the Arcadia.

I think they both engineered sucky insecure/free-floating wings. Arcadia's wings seems to be worse than the DX, tho..

Other than that, it's more an aesthetic and pricing differences than engineering differences.

This release might be the Valk that pulls me back in. Everything seems to lock I. Securely. I love the way it poses and feels nicely balanced.

I used to have the Bandai DX VF-25, 27, 29 and 31. Yes I sold them the 1st 3 because they just didn’t hold up for me. 31 while really nice I just grow attached to it. However with this YF-19 I feel an itch. 

I may have to wait till a release of a VF-1s though because don’t think I need to go back and pick up releases.

I do have the Arcadia YF-19 and Yamato YF-21 but those remain in Jet mode. I NEED me a YF-21 like yesterday and while your at it Bandai, pack in a X-9 Ghost with that release. 

Someone please tell me this is in the works. 

44 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Question, what was the drama with the 31A?

Chris

Highest demand (or nearly so), lowest availability, and even more F5-tapping than normal.  People are still waiting on N-Y orders from many months ago.  (they are slowly, slowly dribbling out orders).  

I may snag one if they ever do a re-release in Arad's colors, and offer super-parts for it.