BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

6 hours ago, onnasake said:

And.....thus ends my tragic and brief love affair with the YF-19.

*snip*

Sorry that happened. Looks similar to what happened to Lancestride01's  VF-19 Advance below. It has some repair stuff on it so it doesn't look clean.

Since you're in Japan you might have better luck getting this taken care of.

098F14FD-BDBD-4E78-9AEA-84C3438579A1.jpeg

To make the heels look right, they would have had to redesign the feet entirely. Separate rails for the toe and heel to slide into the legs, with the toe going deeper than the heel, the heel piece itself should be lengthened slightly and maybe beveled a la @RedLion's photoshop... And the vectoring joints would have to be redesigned to accommodate those changes, maybe even new pivot points added so there's separate joints for vector nozzle and toe/heel unfurling in Battroid mode.

For what it's worth, here are some other shots of the feet extending from the fighter mode.

vlcsnap-2018-09-26-11h35m11s374.png.de96c4c49abab1b3a3f14f829529af17.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-26-11h35m14s912.png.2677d80ba611c3fb0f5eac0e52720c50.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-26-11h35m18s094.png.f8f3f999d0f426267d8b23af1d56b9f3.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-26-11h35m29s209.png.4b73badd36d68b61736109e5b2a290fc.png

In other news, mine arrived today from Amiami, head laser intact (and leg fins as well, so far). There's a mark on the plastic cover from where the laser bumped it, though. It's not very visible, but you can feel it with your fingers.

I'll try to get some pics ASAP.

In the name of Onnasake, He Who Faced the Calamity, I offer this (kinda) tutorial. 

Good news, the hips are only screwed together, no glue. The hip ball joint is like other Bandai DX Valkyries in that there’s a metal bit expanding out into a plastic ball. The leg itself is secured to the ball joint by a half-piece and two screws. Unscrew them and the leg comes off. 

Now you’ll see the metal hip joint, which also comes in two metal halves secured with two screws, a plastic cap on the bottom which helps clip the halves together, and another plastic bit on the upper part. No need to completely unscrew these as these provide the tension to make the hip joint stiff. I removed mine completely because I was curious and it was a bit of a faff to get it all together again. I recommend you almost completely unscrew them, move the leg gently to help break up the tension, then gradually re-tighten them until the hip is stiff enough for your liking. Then re-attach the leg. 

A5B85679-E3B0-4787-8CD5-267FFD23DE8E.jpeg

BF05C6BA-7C66-4472-BFDD-23767BF7C9F0.jpeg

66F9FDF7-437C-418B-87B1-82A885B9A152.jpeg

1F6BCAC7-ACBC-41B1-A812-EC4FE2E7BF4F.jpeg

8EFD40CC-C1D4-4467-A060-BA761E2A32C5.jpeg

Edited by Sildani

12 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Well I could have had my YF-19 today if I had stuck with HLJ. I got my PW package but Amazon is taking their sweet time shipping the YF-19 out. 

I know this release is having problems but I still want my figure. 

My order from Amazon.jp just changed to Preparing for Shipment now and the charge was just placed on my creditcard .  So hopefully they are finally shipping it out .

Just now, F360 said:

My order from Amazon.jp just changed to Preparing for Shipment now and the charge was just placed on my creditcard .  So hopefully they are finally shipping it out .

This is somewhat unfortunate on my end. Had my international card locked due to possible fraud, and the reissue hasn't showed yet.

Guess I might have to eat the conversion fee this time.

5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

This is somewhat unfortunate on my end. Had my international card locked due to possible fraud, and the reissue hasn't showed yet.

Guess I might have to eat the conversion fee this time.

I did the same before and the timing was just as bad.   So I mainly only use my international card for overseas orders only       and use PayPal when possible so the other site don’t have my creditcard.  Unless I needed for non upfront payments like cdjapan .  No issue with them so far.

7 minutes ago, F360 said:

I did the same before and the timing was just as bad.   So I mainly only use my international card for overseas orders only       and use PayPal when possible so the other site don’t have my creditcard.  Unless I needed for non upfront payments like cdjapan .  No issue with them so far.

Same, but somehow someone put a $0.00 charge on my card, and got it locked. Might have just been fishing for numbers.

7 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

I did my best to capture the issue, but it is really hard to get a good shot of the actual problem (at least with my phone camera).  The problem is the top part of the tab(the right part in my picture) that holds the leg fin almost looks like it is partially sheared off.  It holds the leg fin at a weird angle.  It can still hold the leg fin (I just took it off completely for clarity), but it very easy to knock loose, especially if it is unfolded (like in fighter mode).

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with AmiAmi's return/refund policy?  I'm not really even looking for a full refund or return, but maybe a discount voucher would be nice.

IMG_20180925_201904.jpg

Mine came the same way.  Thought it was odd the left fin was loose.  I might need to contact Ami Ami as well.

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

In the name of Onnasake, He Who Faced the Calamity, I offer this (kinda) tutorial. 

Good news, the hips are only screwed together, no glue. The hip ball joint is like other Bandai DX Valkyries in that there’s a metal bit expanding out into a plastic ball. The leg itself is secured to the ball joint by a half-piece and two screws. Unscrew them and the leg comes off. 

Now you’ll see the metal hip joint, which also comes in two metal halves secured with two screws, a plastic cap on the bottom which helps clip the halves together, and another plastic bit on the upper part. No need to completely unscrew these as these provide the tension to make the hip joint stiff. I removed mine completely because I was curious and it was a bit of a faff to get it all together again. I recommend you almost completely unscrew them, move the leg gently to help break up the tension, then gradually re-tighten them until the hip is stiff enough for your liking. Then re-attach the leg. 

Hey Sildani. Thanks for sharing this! If it's ok, can you repost this to the Macross Maintenance thread for easy access just in case this post gets buried with new posts afterwards.

Thanks!  :good: 

6 hours ago, takatoys said:

There is a similar picture on the japanese site https://nov.2chan.net/y/res/3794910.htm but the broken one is the right leg.

Does it mean we have brittle plastic issues like the infamous VF-171 cannon fodder?

Doesn't have to be a plastic issue if the engineers don't have their heads screwed on straight (which was another issue the 171 had).

I never took a good look at the internals of the VF-19 Advance leg.. the fact that the entire leg is held on by the forward lip of the intake is making me think it was designed to fail catastrophically.

Looks like we have another release that needs out-of-the-box maintenance to alleviate Bandai's pants-on-head engineering. <_< 

As far as the ugly feet go, can anyone confirm that the heel blocks are attached in the same way as the Advance?  I'm not going to swap the feet, but if the actual heel block just attaches with a single screw, it should be easy to make a part to replace them with something more streamlined.

Edited by Chronocidal

58 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

... or a complete “replacement plastic set” to swap the ugly heel and front feet that is too pointy to my taste!

Actually, that's a great idea.  I don't think the toes come off as easily, sadly, but it would make a nice matched set so you don't have to worry about color-matching the existing toes.

After CDJ asked for more shipping money...they hasn't shipped my toy yet.  In shipping process since Thursday.

On the other hand HLJ shipped mine on Saturday....and today land in my country...and I don't have to pay taxes. What a relief.

My third from NY is still on outward offices of exchange in japan.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

^ Lovely. :wub:

Thank you @no3Ljm!

7 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Neat, I like the little forklift :)

@spacemanoeuvres the forklift is cool, Its a Matchbox toy I found. They were a $1 each so I bought a couple of them, figured I could use them with the hanger photos.

7 hours ago, seti88 said:

Mother of all dioramas, saburo, don't tell me those are fexthobby walls? And what floor panels are those...

@seti88 The entire hanger is by FEXT Hobby/FEXT System.  Its a special custom made display I  collaborated with FEXT.  I designed all the graphics for the bases & walls, then FEXT made some adjustments and printed them onto the plates.

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Beautiful!

Are those translucent spacer parts between the panels for lighting or just the printing to simulate? Love what you did with those FEXT panels!

Thank you @Slave IV, yes those are translucent parts. :)

2 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Thank you @no3Ljm!

@spacemanoeuvres the forklift is cool, Its a Matchbox toy I found. They were a $1 each so I bought a couple of them, figured I could use them with the hanger photos.

@seti88 The entire hanger is by FEXT Hobby/FEXT System.  Its a special custom made display I  collaborated with FEXT.  I designed all the graphics for the bases & walls, then FEXT made some adjustments and printed them onto the plates.

Thank you @Slave IV, yes those are translucent parts. :)

Outstanding! Are those available for special order too?

1 hour ago, scand said:

Yamato level QC... Thought it may have popped out while transforming.... But nothing laying around my floor or desk. I can't even pull the other one out by hand.

IMG_2553.JPG

It took me a while to figure what you were referring to until I read your post like 5 times.

That sucks though... seems like bandai didn't have a QC guy check these before being boxed up. 

Edited by Mac

17 minutes ago, Mac said:

It took me a while to figure what you were referring to until I read your post like 5 times.

That sucks though... seems like bandai didn't have a QC guy check these before being boxed up. 

Yeah, it stands out like a really bad sore thumb when you see it.

15 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Hmmm...well...from the sounds of things around here so far....still not really regretting sitting this one out and just hangin with my Arcadia 19 and Shapeways Arm Cannon! :unknw:

Yeah I see a bunch of folks getting Bandai'd. Mine should arrive tomorrow or Friday so here's hoping nothing broken or missing on it.