BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

11 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

If I remember well the renewal 25 and 29 came with soft plastic by default and they had hard plastic replacements (except 29B saggy antennas !). They should have kept this trend or at least give a second hard plastic antenna. Hopefully this will be the case for future releases.

irc, the frontier series is inconsistent on what figure gets a soft banana laser and solid plastic laser/antenna.

16 minutes ago, grymg said:

Sucks about the antennas.  Did the VF-19A's ever have this problem?  Because mine come intact with no issues.

I can't remember if ever there was any posts regarding broken VF-19/Adv's head laser before. But it just shows that the new box packaging/layout probably added to the cause of it for the YF-19.

I remember at least one or two head lasers on the Advance being broken, but it's frankly a very easy fix, and people forgot about it quickly.

The packaging has been entirely redesigned, and while the Advance had a plastic shield over the rear half, the forward half of the fuselage was held down by a Styrofoam bar, and taped shut under a sheet of cardboard.

What's actually really odd that I noticed recently.. the Advance's head laser does not lay as flat as the YF-19's.  Maybe it's my particular copy, but something about the way the laser fits in the slot in the shield is different, and the laser lays farther back than on my Advance model.

9 hours ago, grymg said:

Sucks about the antennas.  Did the VF-19A's ever have this problem?  Because mine come intact with no issues.

If i am not wrong, the advance was packed with the accessories tray over the main toy, that would already help mitigate any potential antenna breakages, while the Yf-19 had the main toy at the top of the box

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I wish the gun pod on the DX YF-19 attached better to the arm cannon in fighter mode.

image.png.6b28c3a2765f4dcd275fdec567c206ba.png

Great setup! But one of those things doesn't quite belong there. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's great that Bandai made it so the gunpod could be mounted together with the arm cannon, it looks rather ridiculous with the gunpod hanging so low. Just hanging out there in the open, flopping around for all to see...

6 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

What are those clear stands under the VF-11 and YF-21?  Thanks.

It looks like an acrylic stand designed for anything round shape. Think of it like a bowl stand version of those picture frame stand.

Edit:Found a something that looks like it. It's called 'Egg Stand'.

https://www.polartcenter.com/Acrylic_Gentle_Twist_Egg_Stand_Ostrich_p/9816714.htm

9816714-2.jpg.a9a227c997a9742f45b6a89c8e880018.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

14 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

It looks like an acrylic stand designed for anything round shape. Think of it like a bowl stand version of those picture frame stand.

https://www.polartcenter.com/Acrylic_Gentle_Twist_Egg_Stand_Ostrich_p/9816714.htm

Thanks!  I am putting the last of my 6 detolfs together for my display (finally), and is looking into acrylic stands or other options. 

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

What are those clear stands under the VF-11 and YF-21?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Yeah, that is what I am using.

14 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

I don’t know if it’s been said but can we all agree Bandai stepped up the packaging. Luckily mine arrived without a broken head laser and this thing is gorgeous. Time to dock it into the Yeti stand and whoosh it around the house lol

Actually, everyone loved the new packaging that Bandai does on their DX Valks. The thing is that there's not enough clearance from the clear plastic tray to the flap cover to the YF-19's head laser. So if the box wasn't protected properly during shipping then you'll end up with a broken head laser.

16 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

I don’t know if it’s been said but can we all agree Bandai stepped down the packaging. Luckily mine arrived without a broken head laser and this thing is gorgeous. Time to dock it into the Yeti stand and whoosh it around the house lol

Fixed. 

29 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Aesthetically, the packaging is much better. It just lacks cushioning at the top.

I do like that I can open the box and actually see the valk, rather than just a sheet of cardboard taped to a Styrofoam tray.

Doesn't matter how nice the packaging looks if you receive a broken item. It sucks. 

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Doesn't matter how nice the packaging looks if you receive a broken item. It sucks. 

At least it's an easy fix, and it's not broken on all of them. The 4 I received all luckily had intact head lasers, and the new design let me check them while leaving the tray sealed.

From a technical pov aside from bandai not having the proper clearance for the antenna maybe some other method (other than the clear plastic cover) could have been used to keep the yf-19 properly seated from being jostled around in the styrofoam tray. A flip upside down with a sharp slam and the weight of the yf-19 itself (& lack of antenna clearance) could've easily cause a snap. The dx vf-19 advance had a styrofoam cross bar (and few of the other frontier valks) when it was packaged. 

Thanks to jenius for the reference pic.

Bandai-VF-19Advance-2.jpg

By the way....on my (replacement) toy, the Battroid mode comes together and holds together better than fighter.  I still have some annoying gaps around the neck of the plane that I just can't seem to get to close.

But I'm thrilled by how nice the Battroid looks.  In fact, I've left it in Battroid mode in my display for about a week now.

That definitely seems to be the less popular opinion on Macross in general though.  Seems almost all pics I see of displays are in fighter mode.  Does anyone leave their toys in Battroid mode for any extended amount of time?

Just curious.

5 minutes ago, onnasake said:

By the way....on my (replacement) toy, the Battroid mode comes together and holds together better than fighter.  I still have some annoying gaps around the neck of the plane that I just can't seem to get to close.

But I'm thrilled by how nice the Battroid looks.  In fact, I've left it in Battroid mode in my display for about a week now.

That definitely seems to be the less popular opinion on Macross in general though.  Seems almost all pics I see of displays are in fighter mode.  Does anyone leave their toys in Battroid mode for any extended amount of time?

Just curious.

I get enough Valks to have them displayed in all modes. For this DX YF-19, Igo to plan on leaving it in Battroid mode most the time and my Arcadia version will go to Fighter mode.

1 hour ago, onnasake said:

Just curious.

My messer is in battroid since the day it got released and i transformed him into it.  
Fighter mode is lovely of course and easily relate-able, but i leave some of mine in fighter cos i always said i would transform them one day and that day never came. :p

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Depends on which valk. Few look good in all 3 modes, some only look good in 1 mode (VF-4)

I love all valks and all modes, whether it be sleek with curves, or rough and modular. So if it comes to display, choose those that represent different elements of what a valk can do.

To me the VF-4 battroid looks good and am particularly fond of the back.  Something abt those nozzles and flaps that represents all that mecha and aircraft is about.

15.thumb.jpg.f8c0ed30652698e8643e346ece1c0f20.jpgYamato-VF-4-Promo6.jpg.915edb677d7293bd57ecf5a2b90e501c.jpg

Guess i love weird valks! :D 

I actually think Fighter mode is most boring and prefer to display in other modes. I mean, I love fighter planes which is part of why I love Macross but the whole point is that they transform and Gerwalk mode is what put Macross on the map so it is my favorite to display. I do have favorite modes for each Valk design and I think the only one I really prefer Fighter over all other modes is the VF-4.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:03 PM, no3Ljm said:

I can't remember if ever there was any posts regarding broken VF-19/Adv's head laser before. But it just shows that the new box packaging/layout probably added to the cause of it for the YF-19.

seems like the yf-19 is destined to be 'imperfect' in many ways...  chunkiness, gullets, broken head lasers...  cursed

A broken hard laser is so easy to fix that, as curses go, it’s really mild. 

Look at the VF-25, which had an entire generation of crap Chogokins come out, that people paid for, and then Bandai mad the Renewals, which people had to pay for again. THAT’S a curse!