BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

Yeah... I wouldn't worry about Bandai going bankrupt... they are doing fine.

Ironically, it is Arcadia I'd be more worried about going out of business, and they don't do any of this pre-order madness.  I'm not saying Arcadia is in trouble, but between Bandai and Arcadia, Arcadia is the much more vulnerable company, and you can get their releases without any issue.

As others have said, there are a multitude of reasons why Bandai might do it like this.  Brand management is very much a thing, as well.  Being the creator of a hot item that generates a lot of buzz can be worth a lot more than the actual profit you might make on selling another 500-1000 units.  Business and marketing aren't necessarily as straightforward as you're (Bahamutzyro) implying.

2 hours ago, Zx31 said:

Mattel isn't going bankrupt.
ToysRUs isn't a toy manufacturer and didn't go bankrupt because of business practices, it went bankrupt because a venture capitalist firm bought it and loaded it with debt from other sources.

I didn’t  say they were a toy manufacturer. I said bad business decisions lead to company’s failing

I toysrus went bankrupt because it refused to adapt to customer needs, aka online sales. They were exclusive toyseller to amazon n thought they could do it better. They were wrong. They took on debt when they went private because they thought they could change after the fact . Silmilar to blackberry.

mattel isn’t bankrupt... yet. Either they will get absorbed by another company or bankrupt. Market cap was 17 billion, now 5 billion. Matter of time. Poor business practice. No one buying there stock since they can’t produce sales.

we can discuss this for weeks. My point is if business wants to grow and remain viable, they can not limit their sales potential, citing nonsense like meeting demand when clearly we wouldn’t be having this conversation if they were smart enough to satisfy customer demand. 

Edited by Bahamutzyro

5 hours ago, Zx31 said:

You're sinking your own argument. If they could make more profit by making more units or releasing a second run then they would do so. The fact that they don't means that doing those things aren't profitable or aren't as profitable as manufacturing other items with those same resources.

These toys are roughly a 67-71% margin. Even if they sold at half retail price, they are profitable. 

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

I do get bahamutzyro's point, that in not supplying more it in itself becomes opportunity missed and sales lost. My point is in that its no skin off bandai's back. They don't want to be giving the impression that there will always be a 2nd wave. Since these are toys and not necessities, demand may not be there the 2nd time around.

We can speculate all we want, but unless we work in bandai, we can never b sure why there are limited stocks of macross.
Whether its a purposeful strategy, limitation or  difficulty in forecasting on bandai's part.

And therefore the how to solve it can never quite be addressed IMO.

Agreed! I’m not trying to argue with anyone, just stating the obvious. Companies are in business to make profit. Even if you over produce somewhat and sell discounted. They still make money. 

The best answer is they are poorly run. If I was ceo, I wouldn’t allow lost opportunities. 

I run a 700 million dollar region in nyc right now n I could never accept an answer from my team that we met demand and we don’t want to over order.

7 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

I toysrus went bankrupt because it refused to adapt to customer needs, aka online sales.

No, it didn't "refuse" to adapt, it couldn't due to the $5 billion of debt it was given from the acquisition by Bain Capital and the other venture capitalist firms. The company was profitable until the buyout and couldn't afford to evolve due to the debt payments.

3 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

These toys are roughly a 67-71% margin. Even if they sold at half retail price, they are profitable. 

Unless you have anything official from Bandai's finances, you're making up numbers out of thin air. Companies can't just magic a product out of materials and money, there is a ton other factors that have to be accounted for such as available factory capacity. If all they made was DX Chogokin Macross toys, then sure, you might have an arguement, but that's not the case.

17 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Companies are in business to make profit. Even if you over produce somewhat and sell discounted. They still make money. 

You very clearly do not understand how any of this actually works in reality despite multiple people attempting to explain it to you. To be fair, you could be exactly correct for all any of us know. The part that bothers me is not that any one here is right or wrong, but more that you refuse to acknowledge anyone else's input on the matter and instead keep doubling down on your insistence that your assumption is correct regardless, even when presented with logical and reasonable evidence otherwise.

Edited by Zx31

19 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Agreed! I’m not trying to argue with anyone, just stating the obvious. Companies are in business to make profit. Even if you over produce somewhat and sell discounted. They still make money. 

The best answer is they are poorly run. If I was ceo, I wouldn’t allow lost opportunities. 

I run a 700 million dollar region in nyc right now n I could never accept an answer from my team that we met demand and we don’t want to over order.

As a fan of Macross DX Valkyries I agree that Bandai could sell more units. However since I don't know the constraints of a DX production run I can't say why they don't produce more.

Surely the etailers will beg Bandai to allocate more stock to them since for them selling more units has a 1:1 relation to their profits. For Bandai this might not be the case.

Seeing that the revenue the Macross brand produces for Bandai is in the 1 digit percentage and the DX Valkyries are only one part of the line (HMR, snap fit model-kits and statues/figures and other merch) I'm not sure that maximizing the profits of this sub-line will have an impact on net growth in revenue globally.

That will depend on what growth rates Bandai estimates for the Macross line. Ventures in other lines like Gundam/Kamen Rider/Star Wars might be more profitable than Macross. 

40 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

No, it didn't "refuse" to adapt, it couldn't due to the $5 billion of debt it was given from the acquisition by Bain Capital and the other venture capitalist firms. The company was profitable until the buyout and couldn't afford to evolve due to the debt payments.

Unless you have anything official from Bandai's finances, you're making up numbers out of thin air. Companies can't just magic a product out of materials and money, there is a ton other factors that have to be accounted for such as available factory capacity. If all they made was DX Chogokin Macross toys, then sure, you might have an arguement, but that's not the case.

Your clearly speaking of the buyout by Bain capital for the 1st bankruptcy. They were given a debt load because they accumuated a debt load after they were losing their shirts to online comp because they failed to adapt a platform for online competition.( this was due directly to amazon).

the standard margin is in fact 68-70% on toys. In fact it’s probably less for them since they source through China.

lets not argue, as the fact is no one, can justify less sales as a business strategy. No matter how much lipstick they put on It.

Legs, ankles, and toes are pretty floppy on mine, and nothing really locks in battroid mode. Knee armor pops off easy. Exhaust flaps pop out and move too easily. Backpack compression / expansion way too tight.

9 minutes ago, GabrielV said:

Has anyone who received the HLJ notice to expect cancellation had their order actually cancelled yet?

Been writing down the order numbers and the only one I wrote where they received the email was 11984087 but the order isn't canceled as of that posting.

Well, looks like i'll be in the market for another Vf-19 advanced. Honestly, I only wanted this because I want to display a 19 in battriod mode. Can't see paying up the ass for a few minor design changes and the Macross plus scheme. Really can't justify paying that much on the secondary market for stickers. Bullshit! who i am i kidding! i still want one! :lol:

17 minutes ago, mustang1 said:

Well, looks like i'll be in the market for another Vf-19 advanced. Honestly, I only wanted this because I want to display a 19 in battriod mode. Can't see paying up the ass for a few minor design changes and the Macross plus scheme. Really can't justify paying that much on the secondary market for stickers. Bullshit! who i am i kidding! i still want one! :lol:

Aren't the DX VF-19 Advanced more expensive nowadays... at least when checking sites like Jungle and Mandarake... than the DX YF-19?

14 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

Surely, will be interesting if bandai have a crack at it. Wonder what they will do to improve? Weren't the legs a weakness on them? Also the tail fins on the arms? 

The main thing they can do is keep the damn wings from drooping

I am so happy my 2 of co-workers are going on vacations this month. Even though I'll be working 4 weeks straight without a single day off at the NOC it means I can nab these YF-19's guilt-free and then some savings for multiple YF-21's if they ever get made

Edited by Duymon