Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

TBH, even if it kills my wallet, I rather pay 100% for these Tamashii Web Exclusive stuff so you don't have to worry later on. Well, that is, assuming I have extra budget. :lol: 

But since I know that I need it then, yeah, so be it and pay the whole thing. But if MyKombini offers Pay Later for the TWE like NY used to have before, then I'll order all the TWE stuff from them. ;)

I keep myself to a monthly budget on silly things like this, so being able to spread out the cost can help on some months where the budget is thin but other months are better.

Just want to share this. Looks like Bandai used the same gold color from YF-29b to the Sv-262Hs. It would be nice if the blue of the YF-29b kinda looks the same as the Sv-262Hs'. By the way, Roid's Perceval looks more like a toy than Keith's Draken because of its glossy looking plastics.

IMG_7957_zps4fyagba2.jpg

IMG_7964_zpsjed9hd4y.jpg

IMG_7963_zpsn7d68xau.jpg

1st time back to fighter mode from battroid this afternoon without much reverse video assistance from Collection DX. It's not tooo bad.. got one tiny nick on the gold by the intakes, there's just no clearance for moving those back. Also, I just keep squeezing in fighter mode to close gaps, but... it just doesn't seal up, which is what the box pics look like so I'm calling it done. Definitely weakest mode IMHO. 

20170409_180824.jpg

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

1st time back to fighter mode from battroid this afternoon without much reverse video assistance from Collection DX. It's not tooo bad.. got one tiny nick on the gold by the intakes, there's just no clearance for moving those back. Also, I just keep squeezing in fighter mode to close gaps, but... it just doesn't seal up, which is what the box pics look like so I'm calling it done. Definitely weakest mode IMHO. 

I too switched mine back to fighter from battroid over the weekend but the gappiness just annoyed me so now its back to gerwalk and then I'll switch it back to battroid in a little while.

I am liking the transformation more and more as I get used it though! I have to say its probably just as fun to transform as the 31! maybe even that bit better! But the 31 is definitely the better toy..

jab! :p

Edited by spanner

Guys be careful with the right thumb on this guy. Mine broke off today. Just glued the thing back on and will be using the alternate hands for everything else. Does Bandai offer replacements by any chance? 

10 hours ago, spanner said:

I too switched mine back to fighter from battroid over the weekend but the gappiness just annoyed me so now its back to gerwalk and then I'll switch it back to battroid in a little while.

I am liking the transformation more and more as I get used it though! I have to say its probably just as fun to transform as the 31! maybe even that bit better! But the 31 is definitely the better toy..

jab! :p

I agree that it's fun to transform this guy but I'm still scared on the back/wing pack area. Still wish it was diecast frame. And those wing joints. Scary. :mellow:

15 minutes ago, OzmaLee74 said:

Guys be careful with the right thumb on this guy. Mine broke off today. Just glued the thing back on and will be using the alternate hands for everything else. Does Bandai offer replacements by any chance? 

If you live in Japan, there's a big chance that they might be able to help. That's the only downside for us international buyers.

5 hours ago, OzmaLee74 said:

oh no! sorry to hear that.. I did notice they are a little bit of a clumsy design and don't really want to stay in place very well. And the fact the standard issue hands don't really want to hold the gun pod very well I simply don't use it and keep it stowed on its back.

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I agree that it's fun to transform this guy but I'm still scared on the back/wing pack area. Still wish it was diecast frame. And those wing joints. Scary. :mellow:

If you live in Japan, there's a big chance that they might be able to help. That's the only downside for us international buyers.

yes those wing joints are a very scary tricky thing to work with. Man I take it so slow whilst transforming the thing and double and even triple check each process just to be sure. But it is fun!

Its kinda like a challenge compared to other Valks and I like that about the Draken. 

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Man, I just can't find the fun in transforming this like you guys can.  I hate it.  Whatever mode it lands at it stays in.  I need two more to put into the other modes because I do not want to touch this flipping thing.

Its a tricky thing to work with at first but you do get use to it! You should definitely give it a go as it can be done but the trick is to just take it slow and careful. Read and understand the transformation instructions and there are transformation guides on Youtube you can also watch. Its a Valkyrie and was meant to be transformed! At least once anyways..

Edited by spanner

Well, still have not transformed mine, and seems I was spot on when I mentioned those crappy plastic clips in a post, before most of us had even received it. Again, these are not Yamarcadias. They are marketed as 'Dx Chogokins'. Some of you don't mind paying the price of a 'Chogokin' to get a plastic VF great..But personally, I really hope it's not going to become a habit. As for the camp saying that metal parts get scratches when transformed, It better in plastic....Sure, whatever, BUT at least you can alway retouch the paint!!! What are you going to do with that broken tab? Nothing. It's f'ked and if you ever sell the thing, you'll be lucky to get a fraction of what you paid for. I love my Yamatos/Arcadias, but not for the same reasons I like the "Chogokins" VF. Notice how most of Bandai's lines are discreetly getting rid of metal....(they even shrank the 'Dx Chogokin' logo).

Problem is many collectors just don't seem to mind (that much), they moan when it happens, then forget all about it, more preoccupied getting their wallets ready for the upcoming releases. As soon as one piece comes out, the hype dies off and onto the next. *sigh* ( I know, not everyone is like that don't bite my head off.)

But, when you pay ¥20000 + for a piece (adverstised as a Chogokin I insist on that.....) you expect a minimum of quality. Lucky, I didn't have any tampo prints issues on mine, nor am I going to break anything as I won't be transforming it.

As for the prices of the Super Parts set...what a joke, they must really think collectors are a bunch of moronic idiots. ¥10000 + this time for 2 Ghosts, a sword/shield ( that should've been included with the VF from the get-go Imo), 4 pieces of leg armor that aren't anything to write home about. Wtf?

I mean you can get the Lil Drakens kits for $25! Yes, so, they don't have landing gears (which you'll never use anyway....but at least they don't have that flashy baby blue theme going on ). Really impatient to see them side by side. As someone had already mentioned, and even posted pics, seems like the 1/72 they are pretty close if not 1/60 scale ??...Reminds me of the old 'Renewal' RVF-25 Ghosts, I mean....they are nothing more than painted kits. At least they gave you 3 AND the armor parts (remember, when they did that whole "let's re-release everything again, but this time, we'll raise the price and sell the armor parts separately"  lol good times). I remember, paying $70 shipped for this renewal Ghosts and armor set and felt it was too much!

Decided not to preordered this set for mow (and unlikely to get it aftermarket either ). But, did order the kit though. Pretty sure I can do a great paint job on them, never mind about the armor parts, they make the plane kinda 'chubby' on the top anyway. :-p ( Trying to convince myself not to get that set, but for once, it's not that hard.)

At that rate, you will soon have to pay for the wings separately too........Wait.....they've already pulled this one off.... VF-171....*Sigh*

Sorry about the rambling, this whole chapter/saga started with that 'broken tab' post.I am just fuming as Bandai are taking the piss big time (forgive my French....). Let's wait and see what other parts will be next to snap on this SV.....I'm sure more are to come.

I also complained about the color scheme on the Lil Drakens. I wish they matched the color scheme of the valk instead of that strange blue tone they chose. Don't get me started on the broken locking mechanism either. It seems that whole section was either engineered wrong or they used the wrong materials. I also noticed the Tampo issue some are having, I wonder if maybe they were slapping the plastic protective sheets on the tampo before it ever cured fully.

I was going to buy another Keith but I may just do one of each for the Aerial Knights to complete a squad and at least one of the white Drakens. 

Edited by Loop

Just on general principle, I don't like metal body parts because they're generally not nearly as finely shaped, and touching up painted metal and getting it to match and stick isn't that simple.  The hips on the VF-25s look distinctly out of place because they're relatively sloppily molded compared to the rest of the valk.  That's just the limitation of making large body parts in metal.

However, internal mechanisms that don't need paint?  Use metal where it's useful, and strengthens things.  But again, given the history of die-cast failures in some valks, I don't even trust metal parts not to break catastrophically.  At least you can glue plastic back together, or replace it with 3D printed parts if necessary, but you're pretty much out of luck if a metal part bites the dust.

The design of this valk though is a separate issue entirely.  I think they hired the VF-171 team for this one, because it's the same sort of thing.  Nonsense engineering that has no real excuse, and shouldn't be expected to hold up to any kind of normal wear and tear.  The only other place I've seen plastic clips like those used on a valk is for the VF-1 and VF-0 hip bars, and those clips are easily two or three times as thick and wide as the 262's tiny little thing.  And they clip around a metal bar.  Between the nonsense over-engineered pivots for the wing mounts (also in plastic) and that lousy clip connection, I'm surprised there haven't been more failures reported.

I wish they'd have looked at the model kit more closely.  It's not perfect transformation, but the mechanisms used in it could easily have been used on the DX, and probably cut the parts count by 30% or more just from how many fewer folding segments it has.  Oh, and the intakes extend out of the way of the hips, and don't collide on the model, and the shoulders lock in place in both battroid and gerwalk.  It's like the teams from the VF-25 v.2 DX and models have reversed places..<_<

Edited by Chronocidal

I always though the requirement of metal parts was just an excuse for sloppy engineering.. I have to agree that the die-cast parts do look out of place when compared the much finer molded plastic parts and that is clearly evident on the VF-25, 29 line.

Ok there may be the possibility of easier breakages where certain parts or joints traditionally die-cast but are now plastic meaning we need to take a little more care when handling the toy then im more than ok with. Yes the DX Draken transformation can be a little frightening as a result but we are all more than familiar with the complexity and fragility of these toys and therefore should be relatively straight forward a process to adapt to a more gentle handling of them.

Edited by spanner

2 minutes ago, spanner said:

I always though the requirement of metal was just an excuse for sloppy engineering.. I have to agree that the die-cast parts do look out of place when compared the much finer molded plastic parts and that is clearly evident on the VF-25, 29 line.

Yes there may be the possibility of easier breakages where certain joints traditionally die-cast but are now plastic meaning we need to take a little more care when handling the toy then im more than ok with.

I rather have a full die cast valk, no plastic at all!

its the same with the die-cast model cars. Sealed resin body models aside, some manufacturers including AUTOart have moved to plastic (or "composite" as they call it) bodies with full opening parts. One such model that I currently own is the AUTOart Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z06. Yes its quite a bit lighter than the die-cast body models and the perception of the models quality and value from its weight alone isn't as much as other die-cast models. But the plastic body Corvette makes up for it in other ways such as finer and more consistent surface detailing than what the best of the die-cast models could only dream about! 

If the model car industry was to completely switch to plastic bodies overnight then I would be more than happy with and would continue to purchase them. Besides how often would one be picking up the model car simply to feel how heavy it is? My cars stay on their shelves pretty much permanently and you can't even tell the difference between the two materials until you get really up close anyways! using plastics also means reduced manufacturing costs, better likelihood that the manufactures will stay in business and continue making them, reduced postage costs due to less weight etc etc.. 

It won't be long till pretty much all die-cast components disappear or at least be radically reduced which we are already seeing now.

Edited by spanner

14 minutes ago, spanner said:

its the same with the die-cast model cars. Sealed resin body models aside, some manufacturers including AUTOart have moved to plastic (or "composite" as they call it) bodies with full opening parts. One such model that I currently own is the AUTOart Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z06. Yes its quite a bit lighter than the die-cast body models and the perception of the models quality and value from its weight alone isn't as much as other die-cast models. But the plastic body Corvette makes up for it in other ways such as finer and more consistent surface detailing than what the best of the die-cast models could only dream about! 

If the model car industry was to completely switch to plastic bodies overnight then I would be more than happy with and would continue to purchase them. Besides how often would one be picking up the model car simply to feel how heavy it is? My cars stay on their shelves pretty much permanently and you can't even tell the difference between the two materials until you get really up close anyways! using plastics also means reduced manufacturing costs, better likelihood that the manufactures will stay in business and continue making them, reduced postage costs due to less weight etc etc.. 

It won't be long till pretty much all die-cast components disappear or at least be radically reduced which we are already seeing now.

I want my full 10 kg die cast valk. With laser cutting they can add any detail they can think of.

Price would be astronomycal though.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Or just maybe they want people to 'Spanner'. Buy multiples so that we don't need to transform it. I mean, if only DX Valk is $90 a piece, I'll be willing to Spannerize. ^_^

spannerize..:rofl: 

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Geez guys, it sounds like transforming this thing is far more unpleasant than the 171. Haven't gotten around to transforming mine. Maybe once my second copy arrives, I will, where by the sound of things I'll probably leave it in battroid. :o

it is but at the same time it isn't.. its a strange thing that bends your mind to begin with then later you start to appreciate!

11 minutes ago, spanner said:

Done! Bit we'll have to see what mode I'll keep the 2nd one in.. most likely gerwalk!

Hehe I was going to just split the Lil Draken set amount my two. The Lil Drakens on the fighter and the sword & shield for the battroid. 

7 hours ago, spanner said:

this is a photo of the pile of cash required for even a 50% deposit! :o:rofl:

money-pile.jpg

Ok. I get et the point...LOL ...I was just really p'd off when I typed that post. As I knew those 2 tiny tabs were going to be a problem from the moment I saw the pics. And law-and behold, 2 weeks or less down the line, there are already casualties. When I said I'd like more die-cast, as far as VFs are concerned, I meant it for the internal structure rather than an all metal body... (although....:D). Sure as some pointed out , die-cast is not without its faults, but as a rule of thumb if the engineering is properly though-out, it's better than tiny little plastic clips, or hinges that will eventually end up with cracks, stress marks etc...Anyway, I appreciate most of you realised it was written out of cheer frustration/disappointment  (although, I still stand by what I said... ridiculously priced Super Parts etc .... ). I would've loved to have it displayed it Gerwalk mode.....but I won't transform mine, until I get a second one, that's for sure...-_-.(with a bit of luck prices will plummet when they announce the 'Renewal  SVs'.....:ph34r:)

7 hours ago, spanner said:

Done! Bit we'll have to see what mode I'll keep the 2nd one in.. most likely gerwalk!

Boom! There goes my idol! Spannered! :good:

Go for another one, Spanner. 2 modes is not enough. It's not Macross Valk if you don't have it in 3 modes. ^_^

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Go for another one, Spanner. 2 modes is not enough. It's not Macross Valk if you don't have it in 3 modes. ^_^

So does that mean the "one to open, one to keep MISB, and one just in case" toy collector doctrine is not applicable and woefully inadequate for Macross PT VF collecting? :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So does that mean the "one to open, one to keep MISB, and one just in case" toy collector doctrine is not applicable and woefully inadequate for Macross PT VF collecting? :rolleyes:

Hahaha! Maybe he still has extra 'three' besides the three to pose in all modes. Maybe he's just not telling the right number. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey guys! So sorry.. didnt mean to get everyone excited for nothing but I had to cancel it. I just realised I have a scheduled service coming up for the car week after next which is about the same cost as the Draken so I'll have to prioritize that instead.. lucky I ordered that 2nd one quite late in the day so they hadn't processed it yet. And having the 31F pre order coming up right after my car service means things will be a little tight. Maybe if the Draken is still available after all that then I'll consider it again but for now the idea has been knocked on the head.. Deciding to buy that 2nd one was a spur of the moment decision but I'll admit after I did that I still wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. I do like the Draken but I was sure I didn't want to get doubles of it. So at this stage it would appear like it's still not meant to be. 

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! Maybe he still has extra 'three' besides the three to pose in all modes. Maybe he's just not telling the right number. ;) 

Hehe! Nahh only the one at the moment.. hey of course I would tell if I had more! :p:lol: