Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

On 6/21/2021 at 3:19 PM, Skull005 said:

I think Kawamori was on acid when he designed the SV-262.  That thing is the most complicated Valk I've ever tried to transform.  Ingenious design but insanely hard to transform.  

I can attest to Bandai making this thing pretty damn sturdy.  I rarely transform my valks so when I do, I do it extremely carefully.  After hour 2 of trying to transform this thing, I was banging on it like a rubics cube due to frustration.  Even managed to slip out of my hands and fall 4 feet onto my hardwood floor and still didn't break a thing.  Pretty solid build.

I would probably just leave it in fighter mode and never transform it :lol:

I like that mode the best anyway.

3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

I would probably just leave it in fighter mode and never transform it :lol:

I like that mode the best anyway.

See, I would too, but honestly, I think the 262 has one of the best battroid modes in the franchise.  The design really stands out against all of the others, partly for the head design, and partly for the overall proportions.  The beefy legs remind me a little of the VF-17, and it looks like a bruiser, especially with the sword and shield.

If we ever get a Mirage 262, I'll definitely buy at least two, plus a few of the other Windermere knights' fighters, especially if we get the Elvis versions. ^_^ 

If the Delta Live brings back either the Hs/Ba versions then there is a glimmer of hope that it will get made (otherwise it will be like the 171 that was shown in the series and not get made). 

My copy of Keith's 262 Hs is displayed in fighter mode decked out with the upper and lower salvos (had the Lil'Drakens on it for a while, then took it off as the wings where slighly dropping even with the brackets on). 

I know some folks like the pope hat, but I never think it compares to how intimidating the Hs anubis head is.

Really really want the Ba version released.  That custom looks like it has a hybrid Hs/Ba wing design, so I'm thinking he clipped off and filled in the stock wings to make that design.  I'm starting to wonder how difficult it would be to make a custom replacement set.

The other big question I have is whether anyone has found a paint that matches the gold on Keith's to touch up the inevitable flaking from transformation.  It's got more of a copper tone than most gold paints I've tried.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

image.png.6ed3853bc452754d00aac3fa24560096.png

Not sure how those linings are going to interpret in toy form. The Draken already experienced some gold paint smudging for some members. But overall, I think I'm going to pass on this one. I'll just await for Elvis Draken.

I'm already having a hard time to choose between the Elvis or Mirage's Ba. 

Now the issue of a White Elvis Hs is that it's going to be converted to yellow after so much exposure to sunlight and UV rays, unless you slather layers of SPF 50+ sunscreen lotion right @no3Ljm:lol:

Oh boy.. our wallets!! haha..

That new valk looks shocking at first, but the more I stare at it, the more I like it, in the same vein when the SV-262 was first revealed years ago.. This new valk has classic, popular culture alien vibes all over it, not unlike when we first laid eyes on F-117s that look like some alien spacecraft. Battroid mode's slim torso and long legs just recalls some alien beings in a movie that I can't recall now..

As for that new crimson & gold SV-262Hs, it's all cool.. but, where's the long awaited Ba pope head??

Edited by MKT
Typo

5 minutes ago, MKT said:

Oh boy.. our wallets!! haha..

That new valk looks shocking at first, but the more I stare at it, the more I like it, in the same vein when the SV-262 was first revealed years ago.. This new valk has classic, popular culture alien vibes all over it, not unlike when we first laid eyes on F-117s that look like some alien spacecraft. Battroid mode's slim torso and long legs just recalls some alien beings in a movie that I can't recall now..

As for that new crimson & gold SV-262Hs, it's all cool.. but, where's the long awaited Ha pope head??

Does the VF-19 battriod look like the EVA units to you @MKT?  

26 minutes ago, borgified said:

I'm already having a hard time to choose between the Elvis or Mirage's Ba. 

Now the issue of a White Elvis Hs is that it's going to be converted to yellow after so much exposure to sunlight and UV rays, unless you slather layers of SPF 50+ sunscreen lotion right @no3Ljm:lol:

Hahaha! Now you're making me want to inspect my Alto's Nightmare and Messiah. :lol: 

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Does the VF-19 battriod look like the EVA units to you @MKT?  

The new valk's named VF-19? 

Ok I found the image in my head for the new valk's battroid. Not so much EVA units, but the Mechas in Steven Spielberg's AI:

TheMechas.jpeg.1e64fc2cd8c9b7c2aa6bf539c748dc11.jpeg

But maybe Kawamori is just borrowing some aesthetic from his other anime Last Hope:

Pandora.png.5cc49332ecb330ab0e7c1f565e96bff9.png

Edited by MKT

Honestly, that alien thing looks much more like some future variant of the VF-14.. like almost exactly.

Not sure if that 262 is supposed to be red though, it just looks like it's lit by a sunset.  Might pick up a red one.. but where's the freakin' Ba already?  I don't even care if it has the pope head or not, since I like the anubis more, but I want the actual delta wings already. <_<

20 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, that alien thing looks much more like some future variant of the VF-14.. like almost exactly.

Not sure if that 262 is supposed to be red though, it just looks like it's lit by a sunset.  Might pick up a red one.. but where's the freakin' Ba already?  I don't even care if it has the pope head or not, since I like the anubis more, but I want the actual delta wings already. <_<

Yup. the Draken will have red '赤' on it as per the text description. ;) 

• 1 year later...

Well, still waiting for the Elvis valk, and after so many years, this mold continues to be a once and done thing. :unsure:

I happen to take down the SV-262Hs from my shelf, where it has been in the same Battroid pose for years, pretty much from when it was new. We know, this toy has relatively less amount of metal in it compared to other chogokins, then also reflected by the much-reduced size of the chogokin logo on the box. Could the less metal be to its advantage?

So am now happy to report, that most of the joints, especially in the legs, appear to be pretty much as stiff when it was new. The right shoulder joint does not seem to be as tight as I would like, as it has problems holding the admittedly rather heavy gun in a more outstretched position, and always wants to swing back down. I'm not sure if this is caused by it bearing the weight of the gun over the years, but perhaps not, as the other shoulder also exhibit the same semi-looseness even though that arm only carries the shield.

Here's a pic of its frozen-in-time stance whilst we are it:

591481535_SV-262HsBattroidv3_1NRM.jpg.d61c56743d49732ba166c0f26ec19d68.jpg

Meanwhile, I recently happen to come across a rather cool pic, that shows off an F-4 Phantom II underside..

2151796.jpg.d85072e91611a3acdea042375ffaa632.jpg

I sometimes think views of fighter jet undersides can be a bit under-appreciated, and so it inspired me to take couple of pics of the VF undersides because it is one of Macross VFs' strengths as far as transforming jet toys go.

The first is of an VF-31A, because why not. Such clean execution. Yumz!

521326557_VF-31ABottomNRM.jpg.fbd90efb84a867d5af33ace2c4415ef4.jpg

But back to the SV-262Hs, I flipped my other copy in Fighter mode to have a look at its bottom, and have renewed appreciation on how well-executed it is. Now the YF-21 / VF-22 have the smoothest underside, but Kawamori kinda worked around it because it was mostly 2 panels covering it up (a semi shell-former!), but here on the SV-262 it is really just great design to have all the various parts come nicely together...

133562061_SV-262Hsbottomv1_0NRM.jpg.cfd160777fea0a397ae16ae13baec013.jpg

And lastly, another extra pic. I just love the SV-262Hs color scheme, and all its tampo markings; they stand out so well in all modes!

911758043_SV-262Hsfrontv1_0NRM.jpg.90742254f5637d222e4b3fbfd61a1c11.jpg

Edited by MKT

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Given that it's Bandai, I'm surprised they didn't at least try to milk the molds a little with the other variants. It really is such a great looking design and they had unique looking knightly/royal paint schemes.

More than anything else, Bandai seems to legitimately fear shelfwarmers. Which makes sense, as we aren't their customers, their customers are retailers who also hate shelfwarmers.

A lot of their moves seem to be focused on avoiding doing what killed Yamato: spamming a bunch of figures out that end up on clearance, until retailers aren't willing to buy stock anymore.

Which, yes, is really weird when you look at how they're producing the 20th version of metal build exia or strike, but somehow they always sell out without things going on sale much.