Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

6 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

Ooh, it’s got artwork of Ishtar on it! Neat!

>.>

It's actually a Sailor Scout in mid-transformation that's been affixed on the top of the plane if you haven't noticed? Plus it's Tuxedo Mask flying the plane. 

Come on Bandai.

We want a Elvis Draken with everything like the Maruyamia 171EX, and in turn, Bandai just ignores us... :cray:  

8 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Erm, yes.  I just checked everywhere like 2 days ago, and it was typically going for double that price.  I'll have to wait until I can actually get the thing shipped to the US though...

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Erm, yes.  I just checked everywhere like 2 days ago, and it was typically going for double that price.  I'll have to wait until I can actually get the thing shipped to the US though...

The aftermarket prices for that one are nuts, but it's not a limited edition so it will restock eventually if you wait.

19 hours ago, Shawn said:

I've only seen some line art of the valk, and some battle scenes from Delta...but honestly I have no idea how this thing transformed.
Wanted to give myself a challenge-could I transform it not knowing what the hell I was doing.

I bought a beater 262 on YJ for super cheap (had a locking tab to the fuselage in battroid mode broken, which would not affect transformation),  and just using the box propped up on the table to know what pieces generally went where, gave it a try.
5 hours later I was still stuck. I handed it over to my wife and told here 'see this piece is somehow supposed to pivot this way, but it doesn't budge'
She tried for an hour and she magically pushed some lever in the belly of the damned beast and it did a big 'whoosh' pivot...meaning the cockpit could finally pivoted around and bammo-got to the next step.
Another hour later I had the thing in Battroid mode. Success!!

Next day after about 1.5 hours I got it back into fighter mode, where it slept for about 2 months back in the box. Yesterday I broke it out again and tried to go into Battroid mode, and it only took an hour this time, so I did learn something, not sure what though. But getting it back into fighter for some reason still took 1.5 hours. I could not get the little side vents and legs to cooperate. I did curse a little bit.

I love and hate this valkyrie at the same time. I've never had a toy so complex, it is a fascinating engineering miracle. I honestly can't believe Bandai actually built this thing. I wish it was just a little bigger so I could get my large monkey fingers into some of the smaller sections. Did I mention it has a lot of sharp pieces, and I mean a lot!!? They poke your skin in just the right areas and inflict actual pain when twisting the torso here and there. It was a constant reminder I did not know what the hell I was doing, and it wanted to let me know it knew that.

If you've been sitting on the fence all these years, I'd really recommend getting one of these, as it was an enjoyable challenge!!

S

I absolutely love this story, you made it sound like such an adventure :-)

On 5/11/2020 at 8:40 PM, Chronocidal said:

Not going to lie, I love the insanity involved in the 262's transformation.  I still prefer the 1/72 transforming kit, because it's cleaner, but that one has structural issues that make it pretty fragile to repeatedly transform.

What are the structural issues?

On 5/13/2020 at 9:48 AM, Mommar said:

What are the structural issues?

There are some detailed pics in the model topic where I pointed out the problems, but the biggest issues are the main wing supports.  The shape of the piece is just right that the stresses involved in folding up the wings will start to form a stress fracture along the narrowest cross section of the piece.

Most of the other issues are just fragile parts that can be fixed with a little glue, but the wing supports need structural reinforcement.

• 2 months later...

Anyone wants a 262 Hs and leave it as it is in your display?

11k yen (opened, package damaged, however it doesn't have the clear canopy cover). See pic if interested

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1144432080&ref=list&keyword=%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9&lang=en

It never did sell well. It was and maybe still is shelf warming. A few months after its release, I got one for 10,000 yen in Mandarake without any missing accessories, while it is regularly sold at 14 to 16k yen for opened.

I think it is a refreshing design and bought one during release window at 2000 yen marked up from SRP (From NY) back then.

51 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I take it the 262Hs didn't sell too well? I was really hoping for a 262Ba also.

I think the Draken III is such a great looking design and the paint scheme is gorgeous. 

Maybe we'll see another release when the next movie comes out.

40 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Was it just because it was a "bad guy" VF or because the transformation was overly complicated?

Both reasons to be honest...

Enemy valks don't see very well and it's a rear pain the butt to do the transformation.

I got the Draken regardless due to it's unique design compared to the insectoid looking 31.

Daggers are good at close combat, however doesn't medival armour look old school and more evil looking? 

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm literally ready to shove money into my screen for Mirage's purple version, but Bandai just doesn't seem interested.

Don't forget the other people in this thread that want a Elvis Presley valk. :D

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm literally ready to shove money into my screen for Mirage's purple version, but Bandai just doesn't seem interested.

I didn't even know Mirage got her own Draken. I had to look it up. That paint scheme isn't bad at all.

I'd like to see the movie but I'm not willing to pay $90 for a blu-ray. Japanese shows and movies are stupidly expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a deal on a Keith 262 Hs, however it's International shipping that is still suspended from Jungle for those interested. :cray:

I'm sure that Jungle can put it aside for you until International shipping resumes and I'm going to post it here.

For 12.1k yen, Grade B -  https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/459256

Am I correct that the ONLY available transforming SV-262Ba is the 1/72 model kit that Bandai made?  I hate kits especially when you have to put on all the decals/stickers or even paint. But there doesn’t seem to be anything else on the market other than fighter only mode models

1 hour ago, sjoebarry said:

Am I correct that the ONLY available transforming SV-262Ba is the 1/72 model kit that Bandai made?  I hate kits especially when you have to put on all the decals/stickers or even paint. But there doesn’t seem to be anything else on the market other than fighter only mode models

You're correct, unless someone made a garage kit I'm not aware of.

At least the SV-262 kits have a better transformation than the figure. The decals/stickers aren't too terrible, as far as Macross kits go.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You're correct, unless someone made a garage kit I'm not aware of.

At least the SV-262 kits have a better transformation than the figure. The decals/stickers aren't too terrible, as far as Macross kits go.

So it’s not a bad buy then?

They're not bad kits, I've gotten a few.  They do have a simpler transformation than the DX version, but they also have a few very fragile parts that need reinforcement if you're going to be fiddling with them a lot.  I would check the discussion in the model section for details.  They're not too hard to work with overall, you just might need to glue a few pieces down.

No two ways about it though, the 262Ba head is a mess of tiny parts, and not fun to assemble or transform.  I have to wonder if the head design is why we never saw a DX version.

Here's the post I made about reinforcing the parts in the other thread:

On 8/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, MacrossJunkie said:

I didn't even know Mirage got her own Draken. I had to look it up. That paint scheme isn't bad at all.

I'd like to see the movie but I'm not willing to pay $90 for a blu-ray. Japanese shows and movies are stupidly expensive.

5k yen here. Still expensive for a movie, but I guess cheap by Japanese standards. 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1100516780&ref=list&keyword=マクロス

On 8/23/2020 at 3:10 AM, Lolicon said:

5k yen here. Still expensive for a movie, but I guess cheap by Japanese standards. 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1100516780&ref=list&keyword=マクロス

Cool, thanks. It is still expensive, but better than other prices I've seen. I  might as well get it and help support Macross shows/movies, especially since it includes English subs now.

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Cool, thanks. It is still expensive, but better than other prices I've seen. I  might as well get it and help support Macross shows/movies, especially since it includes English subs now.

Yeah, the subs pushed me over toward buying it.  In the end, it felt like a slightly better treatment of the story to me, since the lack of character development wasn't as glaring in the short runtime.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:54 PM, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, the subs pushed me over toward buying it.  In the end, it felt like a slightly better treatment of the story to me, since the lack of character development wasn't as glaring in the short runtime.

I just watched it today and I have to agree. I actually felt this was much better than the series. Most of the BS and extraneous stuff was cut out, it felt like the fights were improved, and the story felt more cohesive. I liked how the movie trolls you in the final Messer vs Keith fight also :P

I liked some of the stuff on the extras disc also. Particularly the funny short segments they included. Reminded me a bit of the chibi Overlord Pleiades mini-episodes.

Anyway, seeing Mirage's SV-262 makes me wish Bandai would just release an unassembled, unpainted kit version like Yamato did with the VF-1 and let people go to town with it.