Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

So, I was sitting here staring at my solitary Macross Delta DX toy, the SV-262.  I was wondering, is this the first toy that we have had since the v1 DX VF-25 valks that has not included some sort of missiles, either integrated or externally mounted on fast packs.  Now, I know that from playing the PS Vita game Macross Delta Scramble, that even the base model of the SV-262 comes with the fast pack micro missile launchers.  So, if they ever do release a "standard" SV-262Ba model, it will only have the gunpod as a weapon with the toy.  Does this seem as if maybe Bandai is skimping out with the accessories?  The DX VF-31 line has the integrated micro missile launchers in the legs along with the folding stabby knives that go into the forearm armors.

So, what are peoples thoughts?  I hope that the new Macross Delta movie finds new Variable Fighter designs for both the "good" guys as well as the "bad" guys.

Twich

24 minutes ago, twich said:

So, I was sitting here staring at my solitary Macross Delta DX toy, the SV-262.  I was wondering, is this the first toy that we have had since the v1 DX VF-25 valks that has not included some sort of missiles, either integrated or externally mounted on fast packs.  Now, I know that from playing the PS Vita game Macross Delta Scramble, that even the base model of the SV-262 comes with the fast pack micro missile launchers.  So, if they ever do release a "standard" SV-262Ba model, it will only have the gunpod as a weapon with the toy.  Does this seem as if maybe Bandai is skimping out with the accessories?  The DX VF-31 line has the integrated micro missile launchers in the legs along with the folding stabby knives that go into the forearm armors.

So, what are peoples thoughts?  I hope that the new Macross Delta movie finds new Variable Fighter designs for both the "good" guys as well as the "bad" guys.

Twich

You might be aware, but you can get the leg missile pods in the Lill'Draken accessory kit.  Just make sure you get the one for the SV-262, not the movie one that they made for the VF-31 (it only comes with the lil drakens).  They were a TWE, so unlike they Draken itself, there were a lot less made relative to demand, so they tend to hover above MSRP now.

As far as not coming with missiles, unfortunately this is a trend with the DX line now.  Only the VF-31S came with missiles on it's own.  The DX 1/48 V-1 line does not come with missiles (you have to buy them separately).  Not sure why Bandai switched to this model, but it seems to be here to stay, for now.

As far as future DX SV-262, my personal opinion is that it is extremely unlikely to ever happen.  If you're following the preorder madness for the 1/48, one thing should be very clear: Bandai absolutely despises the idea of their product warming shelves and selling under MSRP.  The fact that you can still get the SV-262 under MSRP is pretty much the nail in the coffin for this mold, imo.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, HardlyNever said:

You might be aware, but you can get the leg missile pods in the Lill'Draken accessory kit.  Just make sure you get the one for the SV-262, not the movie one that they made for the VF-31 (it only comes with the lil drakens).  They were a TWE, so unlike they Draken itself, there were a lot less made relative to demand, so they tend to hover above MSRP now.

As far as not coming with missiles, unfortunately this is a trend with the DX line now.  Only the VF-31S came with missiles on it's own.  The DX 1/48 V-1 line does not come with missiles (you have to buy them separately).  Not sure why Bandai switched to this model, but it seems to be here to stay, for now.

As far as future DX SV-262, my personal opinion is that it is extremely unlikely to ever happen.  If you're following the preorder madness for the 1/48, one thing should be very clear: Bandai absolutely despises the idea of their product warming shelves and selling under MSRP.  The fact that you can still get the SV-262 under MSRP is pretty much the nail in the coffin for this mold, imo.

I think what may happen is that the mold may either be extensively retooled or redone from the ground up. The DX VF-1's simpler transformation(by comparison) was made in part as a response to fans in Japan complaining about the DX SV262 transformation to Bandai(this was stated in an interview with the designer of the DX VF-1J last year). Given that the DX 262 also seems dated compared to the DX VF-31, I think those are enough reasons for Bandai to consider in making either a retooled 262 or all new mold in the same scale. I can especially see this happening if the 262 happens to be prevalent in the next Delta movie.*

*They even made a Renewal VF-27 when some thought it wasn't needed/in-demand so who knows

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

19 hours ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

I think what may happen is that the mold may either be extensively retooled or redone from the ground up. The DX VF-1's simpler transformation(by comparison) was made in part as a response to fans in Japan complaining about the DX SV262 transformation to Bandai(this was stated in an interview with the designer of the DX VF-1J last year). Given that the DX 262 also seems dated compared to the DX VF-31, I think those are enough reasons for Bandai to consider in making either a retooled 262 or all new mold in the same scale. I can especially see this happening if the 262 happens to be prevalent in the next Delta movie.*

*They even made a Renewal VF-27 when some thought it wasn't needed/in-demand so who knows

I do think it would benefit them to make a retool of the design, just to remove a few of the redundant hinges and articulation points in the spine.  The model kits use a much simpler design to accomplish the same transformation.  I'd love to see them slim it down a bit too, closer to how the Hasegawa kits look. :) 

The real question is whether the lousy 262 sales were from the messy design, or just lack of demand.

3 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Renewal or not, I really want to have a DX Elvis Draken. Period.

Renewal or not I'll buy an Elvis Drakken, especially if it has the Mikumo Itasha on it. (Not really a fan of any of the Walkure, but the art is very nice in this case).

48 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Renewal or not I'll buy an Elvis Drakken, especially if it has the Mikumo Itasha on it. (Not really a fan of any of the Walkure, but the art is very nice in this case).

Same here. I rather have an Itasha done right Valkyrie (looking at Maruyama's) rather than have an Anniversary scheme Valk. :rolleyes:

So, if Bandai does decide to ever release any further DX SV-262 toys, they have almost a squadron full of variants.  There is the SV-262Hs Keith Aero custom, the "elvis" valk, which I believe is the SV-262Hs Roid Custom, The SV-262Ba for the Windemere Knights (with silver accents, as opposed to the gold of Keith) and the "cannon fodder" SV-262Ba that we see in the Macross Delta TV series and the Macross Delta Scramble game for the PS Vita.  There is also sure to be a return of the SV-262 for the second Macross Delta Movie.  While I think that a renewal/revision would make the toy less complex to transform, I would hope that they include the "super" parts as standard, same as the VF-27 Brera Renewal release with the super parts.  Looking around, to purchase a Lil Draken accessory kit for my DX SV-262Hs would cost more than what I paid for the toy from Nippon-Yasan during their Easter sale this year.  Here is to hoping!

Twich

Just now, Bolt said:

Ya mon,  I would love one of these VF262-Ba’s..9926F283-E9CB-4651-B48E-D077441A8499.thumb.jpeg.f2e7f47ad9e918c4cd2f5db12d95f02f.jpeg

Keith’s ride is a bit gaudy for me. I’d be spending all my time looking at it , wondering how I’m gonna repaint it..^_^

Correction there.. It's a SV-262 not a VF-262 (its a typo anyways and understandable).

Unless you don't want to see the colours on Keith's Hs, you could strip the entire valk and repaint it in Stealth mode (keep the Gold Highlights a la the 25th Anniversary Yammie 1/48 VF-1s and the 1/60 VF-19). :p 

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Correction there.. It's a SV-262 not a VF-262 (its a typo anyways and understandable).

Unless you don't want to see the colours on Keith's Hs, you could strip the entire valk and repaint it in Stealth mode (keep the Gold Highlights a la the 25th Anniversary Yammie 1/48 VF-1s and the 1/60 VF-19). :p 

Lol. Ya. That was a typo. 

Your idea would look great with the 25th anniversary Valks. I have both of those..

On 6/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Chronocidal said:

I do think it would benefit them to make a retool of the design, just to remove a few of the redundant hinges and articulation points in the spine.  The model kits use a much simpler design to accomplish the same transformation.  I'd love to see them slim it down a bit too, closer to how the Hasegawa kits look. :) 

The real question is whether the lousy 262 sales were from the messy design, or just lack of demand.

Honestly I think it was due to messy design. Bandai normally doesn't mention customer complaints when it comes to interviews with their Macross toy designers, but they did mention it for the DX SV262(with regards to transformation) which was a first to me. 

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I'm certain it played a part, but I'm actually surprised this was the valk we heard them mention customer complaints about.  Like.. not the 171, which tended to shatter in the box, but this one, that I've never actually heard any reports of anyone breaking?

I'm trying to remember if we heard similar admissions of complaint around the first VF-25 release.  The cries about that one were loud and intense for other reasons, but I don't remember ever hearing Bandai admitting fans were complaining about it, because it seemed beyond obvious that it needed improvements.

13 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm certain it played a part, but I'm actually surprised this was the valk we heard them mention customer complaints about.  Like.. not the 171, which tended to shatter in the box, but this one, that I've never actually heard any reports of anyone breaking?

I'm trying to remember if we heard similar admissions of complaint around the first VF-25 release.  The cries about that one were loud and intense for other reasons, but I don't remember ever hearing Bandai admitting fans were complaining about it, because it seemed beyond obvious that it needed improvements.

I don't remember Bandai mentioning customer complaints about the DX VF-25 1.0's either. When they started their shpiel about the Renewal they were mainly hyping how they brought over the 1/72 VF-25 model designer over from Bandai Hobby to Tamashii Nations to design the Renewal DX VF-25.

For the DX SV262 there were some reports of the thumb breaking off when transforming back to Fighter. I mainly remember because Bandai pointed out a specific way the fingers or thumb have to be folded in to prevent breakage. 

If the DX SV262 is harder to transform than the DX VF171, that may be why the complaints about the complexity of it from fans, was mentioned by Bandai. It was mentioned due to Bandai wanting to point out how much easier the DX VF-1 would transform. So in that respect, it would make sense to mention the 262 instead of 171(if the latter is easier to transform...I'm not sure that it is since I've never transformed a 262).

4 hours ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

If the DX SV262 is harder to transform than the DX VF171, that may be why the complaints about the complexity of it from fans, was mentioned by Bandai. It was mentioned due to Bandai wanting to point out how much easier the DX VF-1 would transform. So in that respect, it would make sense to mention the 262 instead of 171(if the latter is easier to transform...I'm not sure that it is since I've never transformed a 262).

I guess that just seems like a very odd point to make... of course the VF-1 is easier to transform.. the process has been pretty well nailed down by every toy for about 30 years now, with some advancements in leg delivery.  I'm just very surprised they would talk about complaints about the 262 as a selling point of the VF-1. :huh: 

I was more thinking of the 171 as a comparison for complaints, not specifically the transformation difficulty (though I know some folks have absolutely hated transforming it).  The 171 breakages seemed serious enough that they should have far outweighed peoples' dissatisfaction with the 262, but as you say, the point was made in a very different context.

Honestly, it's not that the 171 is complex to transform, it's that it has other issues that make transforming diffficult:

Stiff arm joints making lining up the arms in fighter mode difficult

Tiny fragile triangle mechanism

The leg issue, compounded by lack of B->F instructions

I find that the 171 is easy despite the stiff arms and the crazy breakable triangle fillers. The replacement removal hardpoint wings are just added piece of the nightmare as it should have been there from the start plus the never ending missing or cracking button like fasteners.

The legs are another dreaded issue.

I honestly like the Draken more due to the design. If the Elvis Draken does get made with the Kumo Kumo Itasha, that would be enough for me. Mirage's Ba is just a bonus as have her 31c (with the Supers) in my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Agreed. You definitely want the add on set with the 262. It's worth it. 

And it looks like the add on set is already gone.  Not surprising - that's probably the best price I have seen on the secondary market since I started hunting for this set about a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have any tricks/tips for getting this toy to go back together tightly once you transform it?  I transformed it once, and it was hard, I could not get the chest to stick and the "backpack" kept slipping off, but once I had enough of Battroid and attempted to transform back, I had a female dog of a time getting the legs to get past the chest/intakes and now the whole fighter mode is "gappy"  I have swung the legs out, checked the position of the arms and made sure the little tabs that come out from the arm/middle section fitted into the back of the knees, but it is still very gappy.  I have watched our esteemed Jenius's transformation video and even tried Collection DX's video on the toy, but no luck.  Any suggestions?  thanks

Twich

• 1 month later...

I got a set for 11k yen late last year.  If you don't care about box condition (mine wasn't bad, just a little worn), there are some good prices that pop up every now and then on Manda.

Will we every hit a point where the Lil Draken set and the sv-262 itself are at the same secondary market price?  It seems like it could happen.