Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

43 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Ignoring the storyline and judging from the mecha design perspective, it was a very bold move away from the range of VF-25 to VF-31 line,  and it features some pretty crazy engineering on Bandai’s part in bringing the design to a real figure. 

I’m glad that I was able to look past the silly storyline behind this unit, and learned to appreciate a very nice valk design. 

It is probably the most original transforming valk toy design we have seen in years, since the VF-4G, IMO. 

Thanks! To me to be honest, it didn’t bother if the show is great or not. If I liked the Valk design, I’m all for it. And this is why I don’t have the VF-19Kai. Face and too red. If I were to own Valk from every series, the only way for me to get the 19Kai is if there’s going to be a VF-11MaxL. If not, then it’s pass. ^_^ 

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I agree. But you have to admit it does look unique. :rolleyes:

I LOVE the way it looks, I'm waiting for Pope-Valks and everything else to show up.  I'm a Gerwalk guy and the 262 might be my favorite of all of them.  but I don't like the way they implemented the transformation.  It's wrong in many ways.  The transformation works fine for Fighter and Battroid but for Gerwalk it's flawed and needs to be corrected.  THe wings don't even lock in Gerwalk mode.  Come on Bandai, you knew full well those heavy Lill Drakkens were going to be attached to those wings as well.

12 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks! To me to be honest, it didn’t bother if the show is great or not. If I liked the Valk design, I’m all for it. And this is why I don’t have the VF-19Kai. Face and too red. If I were to own Valk from every series, the only way for me to get the 19Kai is if there’s going to be a VF-11MaxL. If not, then it’s pass. ^_^ 

Oh gosh don't even start with the Ronald McDonald colour scheme and the silly face that goes with it... if I ever decide to collect EVERY valk design that's been made into a toy, the VF-19Kai along with the other VF-19 designs in M7 would definitely be on the bottom of my list.  I owned a model kit of the diamond force blue/yellow 19S years ago and still can't get over how much I hated it.  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I LOVE the way it looks, I'm waiting for Pope-Valks and everything else to show up.  I'm a Gerwalk guy and the 262 might be my favorite of all of them.  but I don't like the way they implemented the transformation.  It's wrong in many ways.  The transformation works fine for Fighter and Battroid but for Gerwalk it's flawed and needs to be corrected.  THe wings don't even lock in Gerwalk mode.  Come on Bandai, you knew full well those heavy Lill Drakkens were going to be attached to those wings as well.

One of the more silly Gerwalk modes IMHO is the VF-31, especially with the W shaped wings.  Always remind me of this scene.

001be.jpg.ca551e1e7fb0024366b7207814d1fef1.jpg

5 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Oh gosh don't even start with the Ronald McDonald colour scheme and the silly face that goes with it... if I ever decide to collect EVERY valk design that's been made into a toy, the VF-19Kai along with the other VF-19 designs in M7 would definitely be on the bottom of my list.  I owned a model kit of the diamond force blue/yellow 19S years ago and still can't get over how much I hated it.  :rolleyes:

Ignore the Kai and pretend it was always the P.  The 19P is the superior Fire Valk.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

I totally agree with you here. The transformation sucks somehow. But it still hasn't remove the fun factor of transforming it. It didn't make me frustrated like how EvoToys VF-2SS made me frustrated. :lol:

58 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I'm just explaining that even though the show is not good, I'll buy Valk as long that I like the design. So in your defense since you didn't like the Draken due to the show at first, did you somehow like Macross 7 to warrant a purchase of VF-19Kai?  :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Understand - to each their own I guess?  I am rather old school myself, and would always prefer the original VF-1 Gerwalk.

I'm also a big fan of VF-1 Gerwalk. :drinks:

58 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Ignore the Kai and pretend it was always the P.  The 19P is the superior Fire Valk.

Good thing I already have the 19P. ^_^

41 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm just explaining that even though the show is not good, I'll buy Valk as long that I like the design. So in your defense since you didn't like the Draken due to the show at first, did you somehow like Macross 7 to warrant a purchase of VF-19Kai?  :rolleyes:

I have a confession to make, I don't really like any Macross show/movie.  I'm in it purely for the designs and background world building.

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

I have a confession to make, I don't really like any Macross show/movie.  I'm in it purely for the designs and background world building.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!! :girl_devil:

lol, jk

At least I'm not the only one who does that... not for Macross, but certainly Yukikaze, Sky Crawlers, for mechanical designs, the Halo universe for both, and a few other properties

:drinks:

56 minutes ago, Mommar said:

No worries, Mommar. I don't like Macross 7. Even if it featured Max. :lol:

:ph34r: Now, I'm in trouble.

49 minutes ago, slide said:

At least I'm not the only one who does that... not for Macross, but certainly Yukikaze, Sky Crawlers, for mechanical designs, the Halo universe for both, and a few other properties

:drinks:

Yukikaze is a good example for this. I can't remember the show now, but I really do love the plane designs. I'm just waiting for some company to do Yukikaze planes again. The Alter ones are so expensive and out of scale with most of my Valks. If only there's a 1/60 or 1/48 version of it. ^_^

that is one of the points that I am using to try to convince my wife that I need to buy a SV-262.  She has looked at the Macross Delta mecha and the only designs that she likes is the SV-262Hs, particularly the GERWALK mode.  I am all about the fighter and the battroid modes, but if it helps me get the Valk, then I like GERWALK too! It stinks when you have a $5000 trip that your wife and two of your kids are going in in September for TaeKwonDo nationals in September in Florida( it doesnt stink, I am very excited for my kids to go and compete!), but it makes money tight

Twich

The 262 will be with you. Always. 

I mean, really. It doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere fast. Probably one of the reasons there’s been no announcement for Mirage’s 262. 

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I don't think my situation with M7 is that much different to Delta.  I hated both shows These are my two least favourite shows in the Macross universe ;) but I was intrigued by the valk designs for certain mecha that appeared.  The model kit I bought was in 1995 when M7 was in full force, and I thought the valk design was interesting (note: I hadn't seen M+ then), and bought it to see how the transformation worked... 

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

No worries, Mommar. I don't like Macross 7. Even if it featured Max. :lol:

:ph34r: Now, I'm in trouble.

You're not alone mate, you're not alone...

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

The 262 will be with you. Always. 

I mean, really. It doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere fast. Probably one of the reasons there’s been no announcement for Mirage’s 262. 

The secondary market prices have slowly crept up from a low of around 13-14k yen last August/September - they seem to be going for around 18k now if I'm not mistaken.

I snagged mine from YJA/Buyee for 15k after fees, but before international shipping.  It was an A grade item (box opened, tray still sealed).  I'm pretty pleased with it, considering my initial impressions of it on the show. 

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

The secondary market prices have slowly crept up from a low of around 13-14k yen last August/September - they seem to be going for around 18k now if I'm not mistaken.

I snagged mine from YJA/Buyee for 15k after fees, but before international shipping.  It was an A grade item (box opened, tray still sealed).  I'm pretty pleased with it, considering my initial impressions of it on the show. 

Basically any DX macross will go up in price eventually. I wish that dx macross is as abundant as MG model kit. Walk to your local anime/comic store and just grab one of the shelf. 

13 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

It hit me the other day that other than SDFM, I like Zero and Plus the best.  Why?  Because the main characters are not children. 

I do like 7 and Frontier, but not as much.  Also, 7 is WAY too long.  Delta is just kinda meh.

+1

13 hours ago, easnoddy said:

It hit me the other day that other than SDFM, I like Zero and Plus the best.  Why?  Because the main characters are not children. 

I do like 7 and Frontier, but not as much.  Also, 7 is WAY too long.  Delta is just kinda meh.

Hikaru is 16 in SDFM. Younger than Alto and Hayate.

Edited by Lolicon

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I wonder if they would consider a renewal? We have more Delta on the way right?  Unfortunately, most toys that get renewals sold well in the first place despite their flaws.

I'm actually still surprised they bothered to do the 1.5 version of the VF-27.  It made sense, considering all the improvements since the original VF-25 design, and the new booster packs from the Frontier movies, but I'm surprised the original sold well enough to garner a redo.

As far as the 262 goes though, I'm fairly amazed we haven't seen mass reports of broken parts, especially all those rotating bits in the wing mounts.  The thing is insanely over-engineered, and probably has twice as many moving pieces as it actually needs, but I don't think I've heard of any pieces actually breaking.

It makes me wonder though.  Was Bandai's QC just extremely good?  Is the design actually sturdier than it looks?  Or does the lack of reported breakage stem from low sales, and a customer base that mostly consists of collectors who are extra careful? :huh:

I still want the pope hat version though.  The delta wing always looked so much better than Keith's souped-up custom.  Given how fragile the head mechanism on the Ba model kit is though, it makes me wonder if Bandai gave up entirely on making a DX version of it.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

As far as the 262 goes though, I'm fairly amazed we haven't seen mass reports of broken parts, especially all those rotating bits in the wing mounts.  The thing is insanely over-engineered, and probably has twice as many moving pieces as it actually needs, but I don't think I've heard of any pieces actually breaking.

It makes me wonder though.  Was Bandai's QC just extremely good?  Is the design actually sturdier than it looks?  Or does the lack of reported breakage stem from low sales, and a customer base that mostly consists of collectors who are extra careful? :huh:

The SV-262 is low-key one of my favorite valks, and my wife's favorite (in my collection at least, "because it's shiny").  I bought it when it was bargain-binned, and I got either a QC test sample, or a QC reject.  I would assume it was a test sample, as there is nothing wrong with it, as far as I can tell (it was just already opened, which I knew when I bought it from Manda).  I still don't have anything wrong with it, other than a tiny scratch on one of the legs, which is bound to happen with this toy.

I don't think the transformation is even that bad.  It is just gerwalk, especially that one bracket in gerwalk, that is a PITA.  I'll admit that is definitely a design failure on Bandai's part.  But fighter->battroid and battriod->fighter (skipping gerwalk) really isn't that bad.  I'd say it's about the same frustration/difficulty level of the Bandai YF-19.  The battroid mode is honestly a work of art.

Also packing the sword, shield and missile pods separately was a low blow, but Bandai gonna Bandai.

18 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd go with the latter. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it is the most likely option really.  I can't be the only person who bought two just so I'd never have to transform them. :p 

Though, if I remember correctly, my last attempt transforming my "damaged" copy (the one missing a chunk of gold paint on the underside) went pretty smoothly.  I think half the difficulty with the transformation is lining up the back panels so they lock in place for battroid.  The other half is probably correctly extending and unfolding the shield arm. 

Ignoring gerwalk altogether seems to be a great way to avoid frustration.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I think the “ others than SDFM” part exempted it from the point of plus & zero..

;)

Nope, that's not what he wrote. His "others" remark is not exempting SDFM from his conditional preference for adult protagonists, but merely saying that in addition to SDFM, his other favorites are Plus and Zero. 

If his intention was to exempt SDFM from this condition, then he did a poor job wording it as such. 

So I went to transform mine from battroid to fighter to put it in it's box, and I've hit the same issue @skex and @Bishop had with the arm rotation mechanism being locked down. The only difference being my arms are oriented in the right direction.  It's been sitting in battroid for months, and now it is just stuck.

I've transformed this thing several times before and never had this issue.  From reading there responses it just sort of happens... and unhappens?  If @skex or @Bishop or anyone else for that matter could shed some light on how to get it undone, I'd appreciate it.  It's really hard to see in there, but it almost seems like the peg it recesses on is at a slightly odd angle.  Maybe sitting in battroid for so long, with weight on the back, warps the peg it sits on?  I might relegate this to battroid-only, unfortunately.

All I have to say, just be patient and don’t force it. I used transformation videos frame by frame to be sure I was not going against the joint mechanism and I finally managed to unblock it. I pull it out and pull it in, it might help loosing out the joint.