Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

I'd still technically rate the 171 as worse, only because I haven't had a 262 self-destruct in my hands yet.

Nothing else even remotely compares to those two though for me though.  The 262 is just an over-engineered mess of parallel hinges that the 1/72 kit proves are completely unnecessary, because it accomplishes the same thing with half the moving parts.

The part of the 171 that really annoys me is tweaking the arms around until they finally lock in properly.

At least I don't feel like I'm constantly about to break it though, like I do with the 262 and reaching in for all those tiny hinges to massively torque on them (because of how tight they are).

@Sanity is Optional: I left my SV-51 Nora in the box after just fiddling with it in jet mode (and will leave it as it is) and use the Arcadia version in bot mode once I reshuffle my detolf.

@Chronocidal: What version of the VF-171 do you have as I know the CF versions are more commonly to self destruct. The Ishta and the Alto versions are a bit better from what I've reading and I have the Alto version on the way (just made the payment early this morning).

I've seen Keith's 262 listings more often than the Lil'Draken add-ons (which are sometimes hard to acquire). 

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The part of the 171 that really annoys me is tweaking the arms around until they finally lock in properly.

At least I don't feel like I'm constantly about to break it though, like I do with the 262 and reaching in for all those tiny hinges to massively torque on them (because of how tight they are).

Not to mention on top of all that ludicrous engineering they didn’t even get the transformation for Gerwalk right.

14 hours ago, borgified said:

@Chronocidal: What version of the VF-171 do you have as I know the CF versions are more commonly to self destruct. The Ishta and the Alto versions are a bit better from what I've reading and I have the Alto version on the way (just made the payment early this morning).

So, it was a CF that the leg blew up on, but the reason it exploded so catastrophically is shared by every version.  The short version is, Bandai's instructions for how to transform the legs are wrong, and the leg twist mechanism is over-engineered with an unnecessary lock that only lets you twist the legs when in a certain position.  Following the instructions will have you twisting the legs when in the wrong position, and it's a nice way to overstress the shoddy knees until they explode into a pile of plastic shards.

The issue's been discussed at length in the 171 threads, so I'd recommend checking those out before you start transforming your Alto when it arrives.

Back on topic though, I'm frankly very surprised that we haven't seen a bunch of bent and broken 262s across the internet.  Maybe the fanbase for the design is small enough that no one really cared enough, or everyone just wanted it for the fighter mode? :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Back on topic though, I'm frankly very surprised that we haven't seen a bunch of bent and broken 262s across the internet.  Maybe the fanbase for the design is small enough that no one really cared enough, or everyone just wanted it for the fighter mode? :huh: 

Oh. I like it very much in Gerwalk mode though. ^_^

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Oh. I like it very much in Gerwalk mode though. ^_^

I agree, i think it's possibly the best look valk in gerwalk so far. It does look pretty awesome in all modes. probably why i bought two! :D

My beloved SV-51 Gamma is also a cool valk in all modes. I sold my first one (stupidly) years ago back when it released in 2007. Thankfully i sourced another which lives in its sealed box. Look forward to getting arcadia's version. wonder if it will get a premium too?

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, it was a CF that the leg blew up on, but the reason it exploded so catastrophically is shared by every version.  The short version is, Bandai's instructions for how to transform the legs are wrong, and the leg twist mechanism is over-engineered with an unnecessary lock that only lets you twist the legs when in a certain position.  Following the instructions will have you twisting the legs when in the wrong position, and it's a nice way to overstress the shoddy knees until they explode into a pile of plastic shards.

The issue's been discussed at length in the 171 threads, so I'd recommend checking those out before you start transforming your Alto when it arrives.

Have you watched Jenuis's transformation guide/video? Is it done correctly in that video? I haven't transformed my 171 in years. I plan on transforming one of them soon and i'll have to use the video as a guide again since it been so long. I just want to make sure I don't break the legs.

Yeah, I’ve been looking for a cheap 171 CF for a while now and they’re just not there anymore. An MW’er had a few up for grabs a year or so back for $75 each or so, based on their crap reputation, but that’s all I’ve seen. Mandarake and Jungle have them for $180-$200, and eBay is even more. Too much for a Valkyrie that might be broken BNIB. 

Lets hope bandai will reissue the vf 171 as part of the delta batch. 

I think the legs are safe if handled veeery careful. 

Still I do recommend buying the third party shoulder replacements... U know,  just in case. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Have you watched Jenuis's transformation guide/video? Is it done correctly in that video? I haven't transformed my 171 in years. I plan on transforming one of them soon and i'll have to use the video as a guide again since it been so long. I just want to make sure I don't break the legs.

I haven't looked at it recently, so I can't recall whether he follows the directions exactly or not.

Really though, one of the huge problems is that Bandai writes their directions from fighter to battroid, and expects you to do them in reverse to get back to fighter.  Because of the interlocks in the 171's legs, it doesn't work the same forwards and backwards.  Dropping the knees from fighter mode one notch will let the legs rotate, but only because there is slippage in the mechanism.  The reverse is not true, and the knees need to be perfectly straight to rotate the lower legs back to fighter position safely.

Looks like these are starting to find their way to bargain bins.  I grabbed one from Mandarake for $175 shipped.  The transformation looks interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try, not sure if I'm even going to keep it in the collection.  We'll see how it looks on the shelf.

The Lil'Drakkens are still too high for me.

Phew, for a second there i tot bandai had announced a mirage 262 PO.....will look forward to getting one.

A new max and miria theme, with the red 262 and kieth's blue. 

Delta should have made keith and mirage  a couple instead, and then we will have a romeo and juliet anime.
That would be nice to see in a macross universe. :rolleyes:

Edited by seti88

That might have been too obvious with her grandparents having been there and done that... Besides, Keith liked Roid, but they should have made more use of that because it's so far in the background it's hard to understand why Keith doesn't stop Roid sooner.

They could have done a Stockholm syndrome angle with one of the girls easily enough and made one of the Windermere guys more likeable to cause some conflict. The Drakens could have used more color also... Make the White Knight white and the other guys gray with colored trim, something more similar to what we're seeing here with mirage.

Edited by jenius

The Roid/Keith romance angle is a blink and you miss it sort of thing, there's even room to dismiss it entirely I suppose (but I think it helps make more sense because it always bothered me that Keith rolls with Roid after he killed the king). I've only seen the series once but toward the end, Keith confronts Roid and basically blurts out "you were my inspiration" or something more Windermerean like "You were the wind that lifted me" or maybe even "You are the wind beneath my wings" if Keith is a big Bette Midler fan. It's not long after the twin brothers are in the hangar talking about how Keith has no interest in women. 

Sorry, thread derail in process, but I'm pretty sure it's Keith who confesses his love to Roid. Like I said, it follows the chatter about Keith never having shown interest in women. It's like totally shoe-horned into the end... like the writers suddenly realized that Keith's behavior made no sense as the guy who is supposed to be protecting the king. "Hey, let's just say he's in love with the villain!" "YEAH!"

EDIT - sorry, I'll get back to DX toys. Hope we get Pope-head Mirage... and the other folks too...... but doubt it.

Edited by jenius