Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

Messed with my 262 on my desk yesterday and the clear parts to me, seem optional, like an added stability part.  The wing section sits pretty tightly even without the folding section tabbed in.  Maybe that's another story with the bulk of the drones on there but I wouldn't be surprised if the clear parts are just there for that extra piece of mind.

Sort of the way the YF-30 extra parts turned out.

I should add that I don't have the option parts yet.  So this may change drastically when they arrive (NY has sent me a preparation in progress but no shipped email yet).

Edited by mickyg

Got the supers in. To me, you can leave out the clears if you're gonna leave it displayed in fighter on a stand and not touch it. If your gonna swoosh it around, I'd use the clear parts just for the extra support. 

I think the base issue is that they really didn't do anything to reinforce those wing pivots, or to lock the whole wing panel into the leg.  The 1/72 kits all had ratcheted hinges in the wings, but the DX uses a sliding hidden pivot.

I'm also guessing that the DX is incapable of sitting on the gear with the drones mounted, because they didn't include the "over-fold" that the 1/72 can do, tilting the wings inward past vertical so the drones clear the ground.

16 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

Got the supers in. To me, you can leave out the clears if you're gonna leave it displayed in fighter on a stand and not touch it. If your gonna swoosh it around, I'd use the clear parts just for the extra support. 

This is true.

If only they made the wing tip pivot with ratcheted joints it would've been perfect. But I have a feeling that if you don't use the clear parts and you left the drones there, the pivot joint will become loose for sure. You don't want that part to droop over time. 

I'm looking at it again just now.  There's the tiniest little lip/tooth sticking out on the bottom edge of the wing glove - this part catches on the bottom of the pivoting section of the wing, so there's definitely support there. But I agree, when you add the mass of the drone, along with the leverage that's placed out on the end like it is, well that's a lot pulling on that one small protruding plastic piece.

I think the clear piece also helps take off stress from the front pivot part of the wing. It looks like if the wingtips could fold a little more at a vertical angle, it could go on it's gears with the ghost's bottom wings folded all the way.  Some places I hope hold are the pivots for the ghosts and the pegs as it seems the ghost tend to pop out on me. 

They fit under the wing.

Ill tell u one cool thing: Did u guys know the little silver parts at the front of the missile pods slide forward? I assume thats so if you just want to fire a few missiles but not pop the hatches all the way, you can fire them forwards and out those ports. 

If thats not true, thats my head cannon anyway ;) 

6 minutes ago, Scream Man said:

Ill tell u one cool thing: Did u guys know the little silver parts at the front of the missile pods slide forward? I assume thats so if you just want to fire a few missiles but not pop the hatches all the way, you can fire them forwards and out those ports. 

If thats not true, thats my head cannon anyway ;) 

I thought it's the way to open the missile hatches? Your version is better though.

Barely enough room:

20170829_150005.thumb.jpg.1ea968935fc22f424163e325fa643673.jpg

So what I'm reading about the folding wings/clear piece is that Bandai has a crap design here.  They can never get it right the first time...

Is it too much to hope they've held off on the other 262 releases now that somebody at the company slapped a pair of lilldrakens on the big one and realized how stupid a design they've spat out?

I honestly don't mind the clear pieces. I'm using them at the moment. I don't think it should be treated as such a big deal. It only takes a few seconds to put them on anyway and doesn't detract from its looks.

I had more of an issue getting the missile pods on. One of them took me 30 mins to snap on, possibly due to a molding issue on the pod. The other 3 went on easily enough. 

14 hours ago, wmkjr said:

I thought it's the way to open the missile hatches? Your version is better though.

Barely enough room:

20170829_150005.thumb.jpg.1ea968935fc22f424163e325fa643673.jpg

I am glad I grabbed a set, the missiles addons make the 262 looks slimmer... or something like giving more harmonious curves. I don't really like the little drakens because of their too flashy color, they look out of place on the wings.

2 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I am glad I grabbed a set, the missiles addons make the 262 looks slimmer... or something like giving more harmonious curves. I don't really like the little drakens because of their too flashy color, they look out of place on the wings.

I agree. I wonder though if it's using the same silvery paint color used in the moving tab on the missile container and the pointy thing in the intakes. I think it would look better. ^_^ 

26 minutes ago, iguanaman8989 said:

Mine shipped this morning, from N-Y, with no extra money needed!

Mine too. No extra payment needed. And it's bundled with other figure purchase too. One happy customer here. ^_^

14 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I honestly don't mind the clear pieces. I'm using them at the moment. I don't think it should be treated as such a big deal. It only takes a few seconds to put them on anyway and doesn't detract from its looks.

I had more of an issue getting the missile pods on. One of them took me 30 mins to snap on, possibly due to a molding issue on the pod. The other 3 went on easily enough. 

Me too, but I find you can swap 2 of them over if that happens and it goes on easier. 

Anyway I really am considering gluing them. 

4 hours ago, erizai said:

Guys, the missiles pod I received are kind of loose. The peg seems can't lock into place. Normal?

I guess it's somehow 'normal' in a sense that it's not going to fit 100% easily. If you read the last few pages, some members already pointed it out that one of the pods is hard to put it in. 

I haven't receive mine yet so I can't tell. Will update once I got it.

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, erizai said:

For a $100+ The pack can't even lock into place. Come on bandai (designers) can't you have a better idea to put simple locking mechanisms? Duh. Sorry blunt opinion. ..

It's super easy to install. Make sure they're all in the correct place. There are arrows pointing inside to the fuselage to which wing they should go with the ones with the line meant for underneath. It's located on the inside near the top missiles. Open the missile bay hatch by sliding the silver part forward to make it easier to open the hatch. With the hatch open, hook the lower rear part 1st, slide the silver part back, then push down the front then check the back. You should be able to feel when the front pegs in. If you did it correctly the parts are locked in solid.

Edited by wmkjr
Added/edited steps