Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

I forget the source, but I'm fairly certain Kawamori himself states that he designs fighter mode first, and fashions Gerwalk/Battroid afterward. It has to look like a reasonably air-worthy vehicle first, THEN a cool robot/chicken later. The opposite approach would be Gundam.

I wonder if that's just artistic license in the heraldry, or if Windermere actually has six-limbed, four-winged native animals.

I am pretty sure its this bird, it was shown in episode 4. The Aerial Knights revere it as it flew by.

post-23462-0-37869300-1462596687_thumb.png

To be fair, the YF-21 relied on a whole lot of anime magic to transform from a battroid with stocky '90s mech proportions to a sleek fighter. No disrespect for the YF-21 though, as its battroid mode is my all-time favorite.

So true. Regarding the legs, it's a shellformer, with those huge belly plates to cover them. I never cared for that aspect, and I'd think a designer of his caliber would have integrated them better. Alas, as you mentioned, anime magic is used liberally to make the forward fuselage shrink and the legs to grow to make a more proportionally appealing looking battroid. The difficulty of actually realizing it in plastic is evident in Yamato's toy. Favor the fighter, you get disproportionately skinny legs. I like the -21's battroid, as it appears in the lineart, too, and I hope Bandai will eventually take a crack at it.

A general perusal of Kawamori's Macross Design Works reveals what Kajnrig and David H. say is true; he starts with a fighter design and works out the battroid from there. I personally like what he did with the -262. What he did with the legs makes sense, both to fit the shape of the plane, and to keep the powerplants in the legs. There are likely other ways that the arms could have been designed, but his final solution is interesting and unique. It bears a similarity to the VF-9 due to the single rotating bar, but the transformation for the arms is completely different. As for the head, the only other valks in which the nosecone becomes the head are the Fz-109, VF-14 (and variants), and one could argue, the VA-3. Prior to the battroid revelation, I fully expected the upper torso to mirror the YF-21; I'm glad he went a different route. I respectfully disagree that it lacks personality; the commander head sets it apart, and the overall 'knight' motif is carried out well. The only thing it's missing is a sword, although, I'm glad he gave it that big retractable gun instead. I don't think melee weapons fit the sort of high speed combat in which these things are designed to engage. Personally, I get a VF-17 vibe from the battroid, esp from the group shot at the end of ep 4.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I am pretty sure its this bird, it was shown in episode 4. The Aerial Knights revere it as it flew by.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 9.49.36 PM.png

Good catch! I think you are exactly right.

Kinda neat to think that just as Kawamori draws on in real-world aviation for inspiration, maybe he or someone else on the staff is drawing on real paleontology. The idea of a four-winged stage in bird evolution has been around for about a century, but it seems to have gotten a lot of recent attention due to recent fossil discoveries and the use of computer-modeling in bio-mechanics.

Anyhow, sorry for the digression!

Good catch! I think you are exactly right.

Kinda neat to think that just as Kawamori draws on in real-world aviation for inspiration, maybe he or someone else on the staff is drawing on real paleontology. The idea of a four-winged stage in bird evolution has been around for about a century, but it seems to have gotten a lot of recent attention due to recent fossil discoveries and the use of computer-modeling in bio-mechanics.

Anyhow, sorry for the digression!

Always fascinating to see where ideas are drawn from.

I completed work on a vector of the Windemere crest and had some fun using it. I updated my desktop wallpaper and my phone wallpaper too.

PM me if you would like a link to the wallpaper. :)

2A726D20-1653-495D-86B4-911C0BD522E9_zps

Edited by Saburo

I completed work on a vector of the Windemere crest and had some fun using it. I updated my desktop wallpaper and my phone wallpaper too.

Any chance you could send me that wallpaper?

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh wow :o

Saburo coming through as usual :p How about one for the VF 31? And a dorsal shot of the Sv 262 would look pretty nice as well IMO

As soon as I get Vector work done with Delta Squads emblems I'll work on some 31 wallpapers. ;)

I am going to watch eps 6 right now. :D

oh wow :o

Thanks DWC!

The wallpaper is amazing Saburo, I hope that you can share the file :)

PM sent. :D

Edited by Saburo

Id also love to have the draken wallpaper file as well Saburo! Or are you going to share it with everyone?

Here are links to the wallpaper 2560 x 1440 (now there is bonus wallpaper :D)

All I ask is the wallpapers are for personal use. :D

Please click link---> Wallpaper

26318909244_35f7a4b321_c.jpg

26321785133_7c890629c3_c.jpg

26653208540_844f530bff_c.jpg

Ok, I better stop making wallpapers, time to get some sleep. Enjoy!

Edited by Saburo

Please click link.

Wallpaper 1: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7035/26318909244_e4109d09cf_o.png

Thank you Seti for the idea.

Wallpaper 2: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7721/26321785133_e615843bac_o.png

*Bonus, bonus wallapaper*

Wallpaper 3: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7076/26653208540_ec7c4f863c_o.png

thats real......

post-15116-0-96004500-1462878777.jpg

Dont thk the links work anymore but i dont need png files...the jpgs are good enough for me screen!

thx dude! B))

all good! ^_^

Awesome!

Battroid is my new wallpaper. Thanks Saburo!

Glad you like it.

Follow links, right click, save!!!

Thank you Saburo, very classy wallpapers.

No problem.

thats real......

attachicon.gifcba57fc615353d2e679b1a530de83f546c6070d032b1997d881b224cc96135ba.jpg

Dont thk the links work anymore but i dont need png files...the jpgs are good enough for me screen!

thx dude! B))

Hmmm.,, you and spanner both had problems with the links. I just tried them and they are working for me, not sure what is going on. :wacko: If you want the png files pm me.

Edited by Saburo

PM me if you would like a link to the wallpaper. :)

Wallpaper 1

26318909244_35f7a4b321_b.jpg

Thank you Seti for the idea.

Wallpaper 2

26321785133_88183131b7_b.jpg

*Bonus, bonus wallapaper*

Wallpaper 3

26653208540_844f530bff_b.jpg

:wub: Words cannot express how I stare on these lovely wallpapers... (Cheesy. I know. Just borrowed from Hallmark Cards. :lol: )

Time to throw that Aerial Knights logo to Yeti, Saburo. ;)

Edited by no3ljm