Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

With mouth I mean this opening here:

attachicon.gifsv_262_head_turret.jpg

It doesn't seem to be there in the pictures of Fighter- or Gerwalk-Mode so I assume it is created by sliding the lower half of the head down.

As for the shield maybe Bandai takes inspiration from the SoC line and just add a replacement piece without hinges that can be pegged in instead of the perfect transformation shield.

I think that panel slides back to cover the neck joint in fighter. At first I thought there might be an opening there as well, but it makes more sense for transformation. It also makes the head a little more visually interesting.

As for the shield, while your suggestion is a feasible option, it defeats the point of its being part of the transformation. Bandai's been doing this for a long time; given that the shield is very notable for its painted design, to interrupt that design with obstructive hinges seems lazy. My only thought contrariwise is that other less obstructive hinge ideas were tried, but none had the requisite strength necessary to keep those two halves of the stab together in fighter. Thus, it became a necessary sacrifice to the design.

As for the shield maybe Bandai takes inspiration from the SoC line and just add a replacement piece without hinges that can be pegged in instead of the perfect transformation shield.

That's the approach Bandai took with the horn on the MG Gundam Unicorn as well; you get a transforming version that doesn't lock together very cleanly, but you also get solid open and closed versions that can be swapped out. It's not ideal, but thin parts that split in half are just very hard to pull off well.

I may be in the minority, but I feel like a valk design whose shield doesn't magically relocate itself is worth a few tradeoffs in the toy.

I do wonder that myself. The single engine is going to need a split down the middle like the 262, but you don't have nearly the same bulk to make up the legs. I could definitely see another twisty "arms in the spine" system though, where the length of the fuselage collapses in on itself to form the torso. It'd be a challenge any way you look at it.

But then again, I don't think anyone would have thought you could get a robot out of a Draken either, and that's already done. It seems like Kawamori is having fun challenging himself, trying to make workable transformations for aircraft that don't seem like they'd work well.

Personally, I'm loving it. It's part of why I love designs like the VF-4 so much. "Hey, cool looking plane, I love how clean the desi- wait, what are you doing, why is it unfolding, HOLY CRAP IT'S A TRANSFORMER?"

Crud.. now I'm having this hilarious image of all of Kawamori's valks lining up to slap a movie-version Jetfire, like that hysterical woman in Airplane. :lol:

I bet that old SV can beat any Valkyrie if its true to its F-104 roots.

Umm... The F-104, was well known for it's straight line speed, and the short stubby wings made it exceedingly difficult to turn. In addition the F-104's tail configuration would tend to limit it's performance, due to it's tendency to depart controlled flight very easily. The F-104 was an interceptor, not a dogfighter, just like most US Jets at the time. German Pilots did call the F-104 the widowmaker you know...

High wing loading, would cause pitch up problems at high angles of attack (maybe not an issue with the old SV, but still likely). Also the tip tanks would sufffer severe oscillations and in some cases sheared the wings clean off.

Sorry, but the post 4th gen jet fighter styled Variable fighters, would eat any century series inspired valk for breakfast. The Draken III seems to be the better design. Still the 104 inspiration is pretty cool.

Umm... The F-104, was well known for it's straight line speed, and the short stubby wings made it exceedingly difficult to turn. In addition the F-104's tail configuration would tend to limit it's performance, due to it's tendency to depart controlled flight very easily. The F-104 was an interceptor, not a dogfighter, just like most US Jets at the time. German Pilots did call the F-104 the widowmaker you know...

High wing loading, would cause pitch up problems at high angles of attack (maybe not an issue with the old SV, but still likely). Also the tip tanks would sufffer severe oscillations and in some cases sheared the wings clean off.

Sorry, but the post 4th gen jet fighter styled Variable fighters, would eat any century series inspired valk for breakfast. The Draken III seems to be the better design. Still the 104 inspiration is pretty cool.

i meant it as a joke referring to when a F-104 collided with the XB-70 Valkyrie during a test flight photo shoot.

Maybe I should've said take down instead of beat.

Edited by ManhattanProject972

i meant it as a joke referring to when a F-104 collided with the XB-70 Valkyrie during a test flight photo shoot.

Maybe I should've said take down instead of beat.

Gotcha. Tone and text on the internet...

To be fair, Kawamori has apparently extended the wings on his version of the 104 here.

To be fair, Kawamori has apparently extended the wings on his version of the 104 here.

True, but that may either solve the problem, or exacerbate it. T-Tails also suffer deep stall conditions. The wing will blank airflow over the tail at high angles of attack, causing a loss of pitch control during a stall, which can cause the aircraft to become unrecoverable. This is really only an issue in atmo, but still, I'd probably never use that arrangement in designing a fighter, since you want the aircraft to be responsive at high angles of attack.

Well, remember, half of the fighters in Macross don't even use horizontal stabilizers, because that functionality is basically taken over entirely by thrust vectoring. A modernized F-104 with computer controls and omnidirectional thrust vectoring would probably be able to keep up just fine.

But anyway.. yeah, I want that 262. Assuming I have the transformation sequence figured correctly, I love the twisty flippy acrobatics the fuselage has to do to make a full set of limbs out of a cranked delta wing design. :)

A request, if anyone sees a straight-on clear large/close up of the Windemere/Aerial Knights crest please message me the link to it. Been looking around and haven't found a good shot of it yet.

Thank you!

Edited by Saburo

A request, if anyone sees a straight-on clear large/close up of the Windemere/Aerial Knights crest please message me the link to it. Been looking around and haven't found a good shot of it yet.

Thank you!

Well there is this for the shield, if you want to rotate it maybe.

post-7318-0-54412700-1462507660_thumb.jpg

Or the holo-cloud version.

post-7318-0-62523700-1462507720_thumb.jpg

Shield is more clear. If you wanted a pic from the toy... well the best are already in the thread really. Hope that helps.

The Order of the Chickens! Or someone got some Polish in them because the red and white reminds me of Poland's coat of arms.

Edited by wmkjr

Well there is this for the shield, if you want to rotate it maybe.

attachicon.gifgg_Macross_Delta_-_04_5D8A9FB4_cut 200.jpg

Or the holo-cloud version.

attachicon.gifgg_Macross_Delta_-_04_5D8A9FB4_cut 294.jpg

Shield is more clear. If you wanted a pic from the toy... well the best are already in the thread really. Hope that helps.

Thank you Master Dex that is perfect! :D

Now when I look at the the Holo-cloud version I see a grey alien head in the body. LOL

DELL = Don't Expect Long Life

How appropriate for the Windermere pilots. :D

in a war with the Windermere they could always just drag things out and wait for them to die out from natural causes instead! hehe! :lol:

or just let their Dell computer powered fighters fall from the sky from electronic failures! :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

I wonder if that's just artistic license in the heraldry, or if Windermere actually has six-limbed, four-winged native animals.

i'd love an octo-chicken

I wonder if that's just artistic license in the heraldry, or if Windermere actually has six-limbed, four-winged native animals.

Didn't we see a bird with like "large canards" or something flying around? Or was that on Ragna?

Didn't we see a bird with like "large canards" or something flying around? Or was that on Ragna?

Ragna had a thing that looked like a seagull with a pair of long tailfeathers like a lyrebird - is that what you are thinking of?

Back on topic, I'm not sold on the SV 262 Battroid mode. It looks too much like an afterthought for me. Like instead of working back and forth from one mode to the other, Kawamori Sama just worked around Battroid mode to make Fighter mode work, so it lacks personality IMHO. Or maybe I was just expecting something more radical, like the YF-21.

To be fair, the YF-21 relied on a whole lot of anime magic to transform from a battroid with stocky '90s mech proportions to a sleek fighter. No disrespect for the YF-21 though, as its battroid mode is my all-time favorite.